[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it possible that the overwhelmingly positive critical reaction
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4
File: images-1.jpg (80 KB, 720x1080) Image search: [Google]
images-1.jpg
80 KB, 720x1080
Is it possible that the overwhelmingly positive critical reaction to this movie speaks more to how awful modern horror cinema is than it does to the quality of the movie itself? I mean, it's just so aggressively boring. And don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about the pace or asking for more jump scares. I think the movie plenty of disturbing imagery and does a fantastic job at creating an uncomfortable atmosphere, but those things are not a substitute for a compelling story.

There is nothing at stake in this film. Within the first ten minutes we are shown that the Witch is essentially an unstoppable personification of pure evil. The family never really has a chance. From the first act onward, we're pretty much just waiting for them to die. And that could work if this movie presented itself as a character study, but the problem with that is is, none of the characters have any sort of arc. They're just a bunch of people living until they aren't.

Puritans are difficult people to relate to. They're religious zealots that are so rigid in their faith that their willing to do shitty things. This movie could have challenged that perception by giving them a basic arc, maybe showing them turn on each other at first, but then allowing their humanity triumph over their religious convictions or something. But nope, they just behaved in the exact shitty, Puritanical way you would expect. The the witch did the shitty witchy things that you would expect her to. Then the movie was over.

Christ, fuck this movie.
>>
>>66448901
you didn't get it
>>
>>66448901
torrents when
>>
>>66448929
What didn't I get?
>>
>>66448954
the movie
>>
>Witches = Naked old bitches dancing in the woods

2spooky le ebin kino
>>
>>66448962
Enlightening, thanks.
>>
>There is nothing at stake in this film.
Fitting
>>
>>66448954
it
>>
post link
>>
File: thomasin.png (588 KB, 812x724) Image search: [Google]
thomasin.png
588 KB, 812x724
How could you not be in love with this fucking qt patootie? I am literally in despair over the fact that I do not live in 16th century Amerika and will never have the chance to meet and befriend her. Maybe in some possible world it's happening right now, but I'll never know.
>>
>>66449000
i get it!
>>
>>66448901
Are you actually implying that this film is no better than other, more "accessible" examples of modern horror, like Unfriended and the Insidious films?
>>
>>66448901
>there's nothing at STAKE here
I am so fucking tired of this complaint. You are a god damned cretin and I hate you. Some of the greatest movies are about an inevitability. Let's take your pathetic reasoning and apply it to some of the greatest films of all time
Lawrence of Arabia
>OMG WE KNOW HE DIES AT THE END THERE'S NOTHING AT STAKE HERE!
Public Enemy
>OMG WE KNOW HE'S GONNA GET CAUGHT OR KILLED AT THE END THERE'S NOTHING AT STAKE HERE!
The Graduate
>OMG IT'S JUST A LOVE STORY NOTHING'S AT STAKE WHERE'S THE TENSION?!
>>
>>66449100
>And that could work if this movie presented itself as a character study, but the problem with that is is, none of the characters have any sort of arc. They're just a bunch of people living until they aren't.
>>
>>66449098
Not at all. In fact I think it is miles above those types of movies, but I still don't think it's all that great in its own right.
>>
>>66449172
>none of the characters have any sort of arc
ANOTHER complaint commonly voiced by a cretin. And also untrue, because Thomasin does have an arc. She bristles under her upbringing and at the end she is released. The boy has an arc too: His guilt manifests into temptation from the witch and then he pays the ultimate price for it. The father has an arc: He is ambitious and believes himself holier and more capable than the rest of the villagers, but his virtue unravels. These are arcs. You are just dumb.
>>
>>66449100
Yes, a movie can have an inevitable conclusion and still be entertaining, but it still has to do something interesting while getting you from point A to point B. This movie was just a group of unlikeable people doing unrelatable things before meeting an inevitable end.
>>
>nothing at stake
>character arcs

You're really missing the point here if this is what you're looking for. See how it says "New England Folk-Tale" on the poster and at the opening? And it closes with a quote about the accuracy of the story? This is an attempt at tapping in to American history and culture. Folk stories do not follow rules of form or structure. It tells you from the start to not expect a three act post-Shakespearean character drama and you're assblasted anyway.
>>
>>66449437
>This movie was just a group of unlikeable people doing unrelatable things before meeting an inevitable end.
In your fucking opinion. I was quite interested in the life of Puritan nomads in the 17th century. I'm also not an easily-manipulated idiot who needs to relate to characters in order to like a movie.
>>
I'll tell you why it has great critical reviews and poor audience reviews.

Because it's not a movie for young niggers.

I got to the theater and half the audience was goddamn niggers because the ages of 8 and 18.

At first they kept talking to each other through the movie, then started clicking away at their phones (probably to post a negative review) and then, thankfully, left before the third act.

The movie itself was very good. The theater experience is trash. See it on DVD.
>>
>>66448901
Ive heard all the pleb criticisms of this movie: boring, doesn't go anywhere, not scary. But this one that you can't relate to a family of 17th century puritans living in the wild is a new level of pleb
>>
>>66449437
I do t u deets and this criticism, you couldn't relate to them? Of course not, this was a well done film about puritans in the 17th century, how the fuck would you relate to them? Maybe if the boy made some dick jokes?
>>
I felt like they did the devil really well in this film.
The way that it sounded like his voice was right in your ears, like he was all around you.
>>
>>66451291
I loved that scene.

>tfw you will never guide thomasines hand to sign your book ;_;
>>
>>66449055
S E M E N D E M O N
E
M
O
N

D
E
M
O
N
>>
Post more Anya Taylor Joy pics please.
>>
>>66448901
this isnt even in cinemas in australia is it? i fucking want to see it
>>
>>66450679
Mine was the same. Shit taste plebs running amok, leaving a third of the way through, talking and bitching. It's not a film that normies are going to appreciate, and that's seems to be the audience that is drawn to it. Most of the time they can tell that it isn't for them, but I guess not in this case.

>>66451291
That part was fucking brilliant. Success where many other films fail hard. I even liked the final scene, but I can understand why some people wouldn't.
>>
>There is nothing at stake in this film. Within the first ten minutes we are shown that the Witch is essentially an unstoppable personification of pure evil.

You're really reaching here. The witch steals a baby and kills it. That's it. We have no idea what the limit of their power is or whether they'll even attempt to kill the rest of the family. Did you read spoilers? At this point in the movie I felt like it could go in a lot of different directions.

Only in hindsight does it seem like their doom was inevitable.

>Puritans are difficult people to relate to. They're religious zealots that are so rigid in their faith that their willing to do shitty things. This movie could have challenged that perception by giving them a basic arc

You wanted the movie to be "puritans overcome their ignorant ways", really? In the the movie's universe where witches and the devil are real the father is behaving sensibly. When he learns that they're being targeted by witchcraft his main concern isn't them dying but that his daughter might be going to hell for all eternity. In his mind fighting against the devil at this point is a waste of time (and he's probably right), and all that matters is that if someone in his family is a witch they need to confess it before it's too late.
>>
File: image.jpg (118 KB, 1919x813) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
118 KB, 1919x813
>>66448954
>>
Every character did have an arc. We saw what characteristic brought each of their downfalls.

Dad: pride
Mom: mistrust
Boy: lust
Twins: betrayal of parents
Baby: 5th trimester abortion
Thomasin: Remained pure, gave in at end out of necessity.
>>
This movie was gay as fuck

I mean come on, at least fucking use crosses or something. I half expected epic angels vs demons combat.
>>
>family didn't have a chance

Everyone but the father gave in to the witchcraft. He had to be killed, everyone else willing accepted it (twins made a pact with black Phillip, Caleb kissing the witch, mother embracing her dead children )
>>
>>66448901

I get why many don't like it. The narrative is too linear and the script is pretty mediocre. I also agree the witch is disappointing and almost silly. The one redeeming factor is how it's shot. I enjoyed more on a technical level than entertainment if that makes sense. The ending was pretty cool too and I wish there had been more time devoted to the coven.
>>
>>66448901
Each characters motivations were clear, and the story is in then study of the group dynamic and how it affects each individual.

Also the witch and black magic are used as metaphor. This isnt a monster movie or a slasher flick.

Its funny because you seem to be calling the movie simple and derivative, while at the same time wishing for a simpler and more derivative film.
>>
When THAT scene happened near the very end of the movie you could feel the whole theatre take chills

Your just a poor unfortunate pleb OP
>>
>>66448901
AKA "Why didn't the movie explain everything verbally?". AKA "I don't understand what movies are". So at what point are you viewing the """""""story"""""" in complete isolation? Do you even know how much shit even goes into making a film? All these elements are tied together, sometimes effectively and sometimes not. Jesus christ, I'm almost positive that if you've even watched 2001, you hated and proceeded to say, "THIS IS BORING WHERE'S MY STORY?!?!". You fucking cretin pleb.
>>
Enjoy

https://someimage.com/Fhrd
>>
If you didn't appreciate this movie you are pleb
>>
They killed the kids first, 10/10.
>>
>>66456444
trips speaketh the truth
>>
/tv/ has already made it's decision OP. If you don't like The Witch you're a normie, pleb, who's too stupid to undersand it, wanted jump scare, gore fest and you should watch memepool, or the next avengers instead.

The movie tried to to be a modern day The Shining and it failed.
>>
>>66456554
You tried to be smart and failed.
>>
>>66456581
This. You sound like a fucking idiot.
>>
>>66448901
Go post this on Facebook. You will receive likes.
>>
>>66456581
>>66456588
If you think that post was trying to be smart you're both incredibly retarded.
>>
File: the boulder.jpg (18 KB, 320x400) Image search: [Google]
the boulder.jpg
18 KB, 320x400
>>66448901
>V V I T C H
>>
>>66449437
It was realistic. How many genuinely "likeable" people do you meet or see iRL that you havnt been friends with? Exactly
>>
>>66455834
must be tough sounding like a fucking idiot and being wrong all the time, I feel for you.
>>
>>66456656
>Stoplikingwhatidontlike.jpeg
>>
>>66448997
You a fagot
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.