[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
should Luke have gotten closer to the dark side? would his ultimate
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: return02[1].jpg (44 KB, 660x440) Image search: [Google]
return02[1].jpg
44 KB, 660x440
should Luke have gotten closer to the dark side? would his ultimate rejection of it had had more meaning if we had more than Luke wearing black, force choking a Gamerron, and getting angry after Vader threatens Leia? Luke's character arc is the best in the series, but should it have been made stronger?
>>
>>64634381
Yes.
>>
Revenge of the Jedi
>>
>>64634381
I honestly had no idea that Luke was even close to joining the dark side the first time I saw the film, so yes.
>>
>>64634381
>>64634519
>>64634522
The was clearly the moment he was on the edge of the dark side. I dont know you could've missed it
>>
Luke really doesn't have Vader's personality, and they don't want him to seek the dark side for lust for power.

The whole gambit is that Luke will be pissed and give in to his rage to kill Vader and Palpatine because it's the only way to save his friends. That's why Luke only loses his shit after he fucks up and Vader senses him thinking about Leia.
>>
No, because it's about redemption and restoring balance to the force. Luke proves he is stronger than his father, but not in the way Sheev wants him to prove it.
>>
>>64634594
>The whole gambit is that Luke will be pissed and give in to his rage to kill Vader and Palpatine because it's the only way to save his friends.

So simply killing them would have been him turning to the dark side?
Even Obi-Wan tells him he has to.
>>
>>64634803
I think the idea is that it will awaken some dark side desire in him, that upon feeling its power Luke will follow his father.

or something idk. Sheev is smarter in the prequels desu senpai
>>
>>64634381
Yes.
I think my biggest gripe with Rotj is them not expanding on this aspect, I would have loved to see more of him struggling between dark and light side.
Instead we got fucking teddybears and han solo waiting in front of a door for 40 minutes
>>
>>64635072
agree

it would have elevated ROTJ to the best in the series, maybe better than ESB

Luke only gets angry when reacting in defense of his friends and draws on the dark side in those instances. Having him wrestle with that aspect of his personality much like his father, true pottery and ultimately reject it in order to save his father's soul through forgiveness is my favorite part of ROTJ but it could have been made much stronger.
>>
>>64635477
yeah they rushed it and put filler too much.
luke's sequences save this already sub par movie.
ultimately, it's why I say TFA may be better than it, yeah it's a 2015 movie with all its related problems, but it doesnt have glaring mistakes like jedi. still, in my heart the OT stands alone
>>
>>64635672

eh TFA doesn't have a similar memorable sequence like Luke getting angry in the throne room and going after Vader. William's score is great in that scene.

for the completion of Luke's character arc, ROTJ > TFA from my point of view

but I'll admit that's mostly out because I like Luke's character. if I didn't have an attachment to Luke, and was just viewing them as standalone movies, I might agree with you
>>
>>64636043
neither did new hope senpai
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.