[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How in the actual fuck do they bypass Starkiller's shields
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 12
File: han-solo1.jpg (39 KB, 599x337) Image search: [Google]
han-solo1.jpg
39 KB, 599x337
How in the actual fuck do they bypass Starkiller's shields with the Millenium Falcon?

Scene goes like this:

>It's nearly impossible to bypass the shield, we'll have to enter at light speed.
>5 seconds later
>We did it :)

No mention about it afterwards whatsoever.

Are we supposed to eat that shit up?
Meanwhile JJ and Disney execs are laughing all the way to the bank.
>>
It's a fucking kids movie you dumb shit, do you really think it's that important?
>>
why was this movie even made? other than monetary reasons?
>>
>>64575356
Shouldn't a shield deflect shit no matter what speed it's going?
>>
>how are we gonna get past the shields?
>they're designed to prevent anything moving slower than light speed from penetrating
>so we're going to enter at light speed?
>you got it
Pretty fucking simple
>>
it's abrams doing transwarp beaming all over again, but in star wars this type of shit doesn't matter imo
>>
>>64575391
Being a kid's movie doesn't automatically absolve it from having glaring plot holes.
>>
File: 1320843883629.jpg (270 KB, 450x623) Image search: [Google]
1320843883629.jpg
270 KB, 450x623
>>64575356
>Meanwhile JJ and Disney execs are laughing all the way to the bank.

Something you shouldn't be complaining about since you paid to see the movie.

I didn't though so I can say whatever I want.

Maybe next time you should download camrips like me.
>>
>>64575356
that's a story for another time
>>
>>64575430
Yeah, they describe it as being a fucking 1 in a million shot and they casually pull it off without much effort, the point is that artificial tension is created and released almost automatically, really cheap writing if you ask me.
>>
>>64575468
Yes it does. As long as it has a beginning middle and end and some swishy swioshy fight scenes in between kids love it. Stop being so retarded.
>>
>>64575516
Do you not remember the crashing into snow part after that?
>>
>>64575428

Check out non newtonian fluids on youtube sometime. Pretty cool shit.

Doesn't have much to do with a force field not stopping a ship that's traveling at light speed, mind you, but cool anyway.
>>
>>64575541
So? not a scratch on the MF after all that, it felt like it was made out of rubber
>>
>>64575468
>I don't know what a plot hole is.
>>
>>64575430
Why wouldn't Han give such trick to Lando and the Rebel fleet instead of planning all the sabotage of the shield generator at Endor?

How exactly the Falcon wouldn't survive a frontal impact of big sized asteroids in ESB but it can survive dozens of trees and a direct impact against snowy terrains?

How is Han skilled enough to exit hyperspace mere nanoseconds before impacting the planet?
>>
>>64575473
kek, that's the point, I can complain if I paid for it.
I'm pretty sure you don't have better sound and image quality than a theater at home though.
>>
>>64575615
"In fiction, a plot hole or plothole is a logical inconsistency within a story.[1] Such inconsistencies include such things as illogical or impossible events, and statements or events that contradict earlier events in the storyline."

>illogical or impossible events

What is a plot hole anon, do tell me
>>
>>64575713
Why is it illogical or impossible for the ship to warp through the gap in the shields?
They tell you the problem, then they tell you how they're going to solve the problem, and then they solve the problem.

Are you a bit of a silly-billy?
>>
>>64575536
Cheap, complacent, dumb. Here's your reply.
>>
>>64575770
"Travelling through hyperspace isn't like dusting crops, kid. Without precise calculations, we would end in a sun or bounce too close to a supernova and that will the end of your journey, wouldn't it?
>>
>>64575770

Light speed travel and warp travel are two very different things, honeybuns.
>>
>>64575856
"Their shields have a fractional refresh rate.
Keeps anything travelling slower than
lightspeed from getting through."
>>
>>64575649
>kek, that's the point, I can complain if I paid for it.

You can but it won't matter.

Industries listen to money, not post-purchase complaints.
>>
>>64575927
from retard-pedia
>"Hyperspace was an alternate dimension that could only be reached by travelling at lightspeed or faster."

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hyperspace
>>
>>64575927
Yeah, fair call. I mean, they're not, but I can appreciate that the terminology is different across franchises.
>>
>>64575356
You answered your own question, fucktard.
>>
File: 2z6cad3.png (318 KB, 640x272) Image search: [Google]
2z6cad3.png
318 KB, 640x272
>>64575931
Poetry.
>>
>>64575967
Reminder that George Lucas was bullied off the internet by angry Star Wars fans in 2000.
>>
>>64575931
This in itself is just retarded. Does that mean every other force field in Star Wars can actually just be moved through without even entering light speed?

It's said as though it's some impenetrable new technology, but its just a force field with a relatively easily exploited flaw.

How come the rebels didn't just light-speed warp through the Death Star's shields? Or hell, go below light speed and do it if needing light speed is some new shield design,
>>
>>64575968
>>64575974

I didn't realize that star wars had decided that warping actually meant going super fast and popping into another dimension. I assumed the writers of a sci fi would take into account the existence of warp drives in other media and not completely change the meaning of the word.

But hey, I guess it's no worse than pretending that a vampire is a glittery emo.
>>
>>64575931
The point is that SW77 established hyperspsce can be really dangerous, and tricks like warping between a planetary shield and its surface, with only a few hundreds of kilometers of gap (at most) is one shot in a quadrillion.

In SW77 Han is warned by the Falcon's computers about their proximity to the Alderaan system by a long margin, and when they leave hyperspace they find out an artificial asteroid field, because it is assumed Alderaan has been destroyed for a few hours, giving time for its remains to float in different paths. Here, he just exists hyperspace at a random moment. The ship appears a few hundred meters before impacting the surface. Had he reacted mere nanoseconds later, they would have died.
>>
>>64576057
Because it's dangerous. The Falcon crashed doing it. Han Solo is the type of cowboy who would do something that crazy. Why does everything need to be spelled out to you? It's a flick and this isn't even one of the most glaring plot conveniences.
>>
>>64576103
>tricks like warping between a planetary shield and its surface, with only a few hundreds of kilometers of gap (at most) is one shot in a quadrillion.
ricks like warping between a planetary shield and its surface, with only a few hundreds of kilometers of gap (at most) is one shot in a quadrillion.
Never tell me the odds.

>Here, he just exists hyperspace at a random moment.
It wasn't random, he knew where the planet was and he exited after breaching the shields.

>Had he reacted mere nanoseconds later, they would have died.
Yes, I agree. You can have issues with that, by all means, but "plot hole" is not the correct term to use.
>>
>>64576122
>The falcon crashed
It wasn't even damaged though, they just flew it back around ten minutes later.
>Han Solo is the type of cowboy who would do something that crazy.
Yeah, because guys like Wedge are just so cowardly, right?

Never mind, as i said, the rebels apparently wouldn't even have needed light speed.
>>
>>64576003
The difference is that Lucas ran the whole operation. JJ is just one cog in the Disney machine.

Good luck scaring Disney. You'd have a better shot at scaring Russia.
>>
>>64575801
it's like going to Mcdonalds and hoping you'll get top tier quality food. this movie was meant for you, get over it.
>>
>>64576057
>How come the rebels didn't just light-speed warp through the Death Star's shields?
>Does that mean every other force field in Star Wars can actually just be moved through without even entering light speed?
>one force-field has a weakness so they all do
Pretty sure if this is just how all force-fields work then he wouldn't have felt the need to specify that this one worked that way. Just look at it as an easily exploitable weakness similar to the first Death Star's exhaust port.

>>64576078
I ignore everything outside of the movies.

>>64576187
>It wasn't even damaged though
Yeah, it can handle interstellar space battles, but a car accident's going to take it out of commission.
>>
>>64576160
>>tricks like warping between a planetary shield and its surface, with only a few hundreds of kilometers of gap (at most) is one shot in a quadrillion.
>ricks like warping between a planetary shield and its surface, with only a few hundreds of kilometers of gap (at most) is one shot in a quadrillion.
>Never tell me the odds.

Well, that was a failure.
>>
>>64575428
What random science fiction technology does isn't important. But the fact that this is apparently the first time anyone has ever thought to use this glaring weakness is completely retarded.
>>
>>64576291
Literally what possible reason did the First Order have for skimping on force field parts to the point where its sole use in blocking people from entry was compromised?

>>64575980
This is literally all I can think of, because it was just as retarded.
>>
>>64576160
In the asteroid field chase scene, the asteroids are moving at sub-light speeds, like the Falcon. Han already knew it was very dangerous:
-"You don't need to do this to impress me"
-"It would be crazy to follow us, wouldn't be? [...] If you wanted me to fail, this is the time" (or something like that)
-"I take it back. You're gonna have all of us pulverized"
-"I can't argue with that. [...] We're gonna fly closer to that big one"
-"CLOSER?"
-"[...] Yeah, that would be a nice place"
-"I really hope you know what you're doing"
-"Yeah, me too"

And it was nowhere as dangerous as reckless as what he does in TFA.
>>
It was to trump Rey's display at the beginning, and Poe's displays.

Not even Poe could do that.
>>
Guys, I have no idea what the big fucking problem is. The shield scenario made perfect sense.

>The base needed shields to prevent enemy aircraft from entering
>But, it also needs to power its massive fucking laser to destroy planets
>Light and matter from the nearby sun are used as energy for this laser
>This material moves at lightspeed (yes, I know that something with mass cannot accelerate to lightspeed, but this is Star Wars and things can so fuck off)
>This allows the base to continuously charge its laser while preventing the vast majority of enemy aircraft from entering
>Unless you travel at LS, you aren't getting in
>Han is a skilled pilot and is one of the few people able to pull of this maneuver

No, other shields in Star Wars cannot be bypassed by simply walking through them. I'm not sure why you would think that.

For fuck sake, you don't like it when things are explained in Star Wars because you like mystery and aura surrounding things. But then when they are left with some mystery you complain that you don't understand it. What makes even less sense is that this fucking scene was 100% understandable and should not provide any further confusion.

>Why was there little damage to the MF?
It's a fucking spaceship that is know for being able to take hits. It takes blaster fire. Blaster fire is capable of destroying trees and debris. Therefore, it follow that if the MF is not heavily damaged by blaster fire, it wouldn't be heavily damaged by trees, either.

>fuck
>>
>>64576554
So, if Han had those nanosecond reaction times, was he the most powerful Force user?
>>
>>64576559
The Falcon is capable of taking direct blastes only when it has funtional deflector shields:
-"What's that flashing"
-"We'll losing a deflector shield, go back and strape to your seats, I'm gonna jump to hyperspace!"

and
-"Sir, we have lost the rear deflector shield. One more hit and we're done for"
-"Turn her around"
-(Chewbacca growls)
-"Turn her around, I'm gonna put all power on the front shield"
-"Sir, the chances of surviving an attack against an Imperial Star Destroyer..."
-"Shut up!"

The Falcon could survive small particles like it did in Alderaan and the Hoth asteroid field. It couldn't survive a big meteoroid, let alone an asteroid. Yet it can impact against a snowy surface and hundreds of trees with no problem.
>>
>>64576559
You pulled that shit about the matter from the sun being sucked at light speed out of your ass, besides that's not the reason for the shield's hole, it was outright described as an exploitable flaw in the movie.

Even still the main point of discussion isn't the flaw in itself, but the implausibility of the way it was exploited.
>>
>>64576637
Maybe it's just some navigational trick he learned skin of the teeth like, like the 12 parsec run time.

The nav computers could plot the safe distances, with a little info on the planet, just need to figure out how to come out in the atmosphere. Or maybe a 2 stage jump, come in right outside the system so a more accurate shorter, more accurate jump could be calculated then do a microjump.
>>
>>64576765
>Their shields have a fractional refresh rate. Keeps anything travelling slower than lightspeed from getting through

Its stated as though its some sort of new advanced technology, not as a retarded design flaw.
>>
"Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy! Without precise calculations we could fly right through a star or bounce too close to a supernova, and that'd end your trip real quick, wouldn't it?"
"Admiral Ozzel came out of light-speed too close to the system"
>>
>>64576765
The ship takes blaster shots from Storm Troopers all the time without its shields up -- that's more of what I was referring to, not Star Destroyer shots.

>>64576770
And, to a degree, I pulled it out of my ass, yes. But it completely follows from the information we are given.

If the shields of the planet prevented all matter from entering the planet at all speeds, then it could not charge the giant laser beam.

If, however, it allowed for matter traveling at LS to enter through the shields, then charging is permitted.

This works out based on what we know. Of course, this is just inference -- but it's rather sound reasoning.

It's also a rather safe risk since trying to bypass the shields while traveling at LS is extremely risky and will likely result in death. Han is an amazing and experienced pilot that has demonstrated his abilities over numerous films -- so his completion of this task should not be taken as deus ex.
>>
>>64576877
It is supposed to be advanced technology. It is essentially a semi-permeable membrane, and this is extremely advanced because it is selective rather than all-or-nothing.
>>
>>64576937
The flaw in your argument is that they downright show you the sun's matter being sucked into the base, and it sure as hell didn't look to me like it was moving at light speed so it's probably another thing they overlooked.
>>
>>64576877
It's not stated with anything other than determination
>>
>>64577035
So they decided to develop super-advanced technology in order to create design flaws in their shields?
>>
>>64577038
... if the planet was habitable, and the sun's light was being absorbed to it as we watched, then it was travelling a LOT faster than lightspeed.
>>
>>64575356
I think it's funny that people don't realize this workaround is directly lifted from Star Trek. I thought it was a really subtle nudge.
>>
>>64577109
I thought the same thing. JJ's Trek is too Wars and his Wars is too Trek.
>>
>>64577052
Its the way its worded.

E.g.
>You can't get in unless you walk through the door
vs
>They didn't even lock the door, so we can just walk through.

Is the same as
>Their shields have a fractional refresh rate. Keeps anything travelling slower than lightspeed from getting through
vs
>The shields have a new design flaw meaning we should be able to pass through them at lightspeed.
>>
I'm not saying it's not fucking stupid all things considered, but in the Clone Wars cartoon Anakin warps his ship right up next to an enemy cruiser as a point of strategy.

So the lore was already broken.

If Anakin can do that then Han should be able to get in the space between a shield and a planet.
>>
>>64577095
That reasoning would make sense, problem is that they sure as fuck didn't figure out any of these logistics, or else they'd at least try to show it to some capacity. I guess because they couldn't be bothered with those details they decide to nudge it to the side and never explain it, but holy fuck that whole base just sounds retarded once you really start thinking about it.
>>
>>64577293
My problem with it is that there's no real tension or sense of danger if anyone and their mother can accomplish these feats.
>>
>>64577038

True, it did look like the matter was "flowing" rather than flying at LS. So I will give you that. However, my interpretation makes a lot of sense if that matter was moving at LS -- it allows for laser charging while maintaining non-permeability to the vast majority of objects.

Hopefully this is what they were going for.

>>64577065
It's not a design flaw. The risk of breach is extremely low because you need to travel at LS, enter through the shields, and slow down before you crash into the planet. Based on the speed of light this would give Han (or any pilot) a ridiculously minuscule amount of time to react and slow down and avoid collision.

But once again, Han is an experienced pilot.

It's advanced in its semi-permeability -- allowing for the charging of the station while reflecting nearly all objects.
>>
>>64576884
The whole point of that is that the rebels are capable of detecting ships exiting hyperspace at a very close distance, thus giving them enough time to activate the energy shields. Had Ozzel existed further, they would have caught the Rebels before they could react. Although it doesn't explain why didn't the Rebels activate the energy shield once they started evacuation.

But thank you anon to discover another plothole in TFA. Why didn't the First Order detect the Falcon exiting hyperspace before Han was close enough for Ren to detect him through the Force? Why didn't Ren warn the Starkiller soldiers and officers about the Falcon crew anyway?

>>64576937
Blastes from blasters and bowcasters are supposed to be nowhere as powerful as blaster fired by the turrets of ships.

A blast from a ship like a Star Destroyer is bigger than a person, for starters. At the beginning of SW77 a blast impacts the Tantive IV, and said blast is as big as one of its engines. The Death Stars' blasts/lasers are also much bigger, to the point of being capable of one-shotting capital ships and entire planets. The basic logic is, the bigger the more powerful.

In the OT the Falcon is hit by debris in Alderaan and the asteroid field, it has a partial hit from one of the Death Star II's inner tubes so it only destroys its antennae. A frontal hit would have completely destroyed the Falcon, same as in the asteroid field where any reasonably sized meteoroid would have destroyed the ship. And even in ESB the Falcon never flies so close to a surface like Rey did in Jakku, there are at least several meters of distance to the surface in ESB.

I also believe we see normal Stormtroopers firing against Finn and Poe's TIE Fighter.

The Falcon would probably survive a few trees, but not dozens or hundrends, let alone making a frontal impact against a flat snowy surface. Otherwise, where's the danger in all of ESB's scenes?
>>
>>64577437
My point with the second quote about Ozzel was that according to the OT the hyperspace tech is so imprecise and difficult to use that even trained imperial officers can make mistakes and overshoot. Guess all of that lore is out the window in JJ's star wars.
>>
>>64577500
I have never understood thst scene like that. We see Ozzel already being naive and stupid before, we see Veers trying to defend Ozzel's actions later in the movie, but Vader had no time for useless officers so he killed him. Vader later kills Needa for even less reasons (losing the Falcon), whereas Ozzel would have allowed Vader to caugh Luke, the Falcon crew, the Princess and all the officials, soldiers and Rebel material and documentation at the Hoth base.

It isn't the hyperspace being so imprecise, is Ozzel being damn terrible at his job.
>>
>>64577437

TIE Fighters are known for being weak but agile. Their strength is in the sheer number of them and the ability to mass produce them. The fact that a TIE was even able to take ST blaster fire and not explode lets us know that the MF will take quite more of a beating (especially considering we've seen it take ST blaster fire before).

Also, asteroids in space are far more massive and are moving at speeds far greater than a tree. This means they contain far more energy, and a crash with them would likely result in greater damage.

Trees are destroyed by regular ST blaster fire, and they have been in the star wars franchise. So if the MF can take on regular ST blaster fire, it can certainly survive many trees.

Also, the crash into the snow was not a frontal crash. Sure, they were moving forward, but they landed on their belly -- thus dispersing the force about the entirety of the broad underside.
>>
>>64577712
Most of the asteroids in the asteroid field are moving at great speeds, but some others are stationary, at least relatively to the camera and the Falcon, and yet the Falcon avoids them. We also see than even small debris can we felt with great intensity, so an impact against dozens of trees would have probably made the crew land to the floor or otherwise being unable to operate the ship.

Also even with funtional deflector shields, a blast fired from a Star Destroyer can greatly alter the Falcon's path and position, we clearly see it in a shot of ESB after they have left the asteroid field.

In TFA's case, the Falcon has left hyperspace a few seconds before, so there's the chance its speed hasn't been fully slowed down, whereas in the asteroid field the ship's hyperdrive was damaged and the Falcon was moving at its usual speed. Also, the snow should have maximized the damage to the ship, and it should have landed in the upper part of the Falcon, or at least blocked part of the windows of the cockpit, and yet the Falcon didn't appear to suffer any damage.
>>
>>64575356
It's a fucking movie, shields don't exist irl, light speed can't be achieved (except by light) irl. Movies make their own rules about made up shit.
>>
Why didnt they just lightspeed in some bombs into that thing they needed to blow up /tv/
>>
>>64578581
ye, the issue comes when the movie doesn't follow the rules it established
>>
>>64578815
they wanted to rescue Rey first
>>
>>64575356
>i know lets hyperspace into a planets atmosphere!

they would be a fucking meteor. bigger than the one that hit the earth when it wiped out the dinosaurs. there is no way the falcon could pull up after that. the kinetic energy would have them hit the planet with the force of a million nukes
>>
>>64578850
why doesn't the Empire just hyperspace shit into planets it wants destroyed?
>>
>>64575356
If the Star Wars universe has the tech to go light speed, why not just shoot shit at planets at light speed instead of using an entire fucking sun?
>>
File: Type7_ED.jpg (422 KB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
Type7_ED.jpg
422 KB, 3840x2160
>>64578850
>>64578885
>>64578911
Hyperspace in Star Wars is basically just wormholes. you're basically in another dimension of time-space until you come out. They generally follow pre-established "lanes," but with the right time, you can pull out of it anywhere.

It's not impossible. I used to pull out of FTL speed right in front of stars in my Type-7 back home.
>>
File: chewie.jpg (60 KB, 488x599) Image search: [Google]
chewie.jpg
60 KB, 488x599
Do they share the toilet in the Falcon with Chewie? Seems to me like he would clog it very often with shit and hair.

Does he get a lot of dingleberries?

Does he have separate quarters with a bidet and insinkerator just like the one on Kashyyk?
>>
>I'm afraid, gentlemen, Starkiller isn't just Death Star. Its...XBOX HUEG DEATH STAR
>Han Solo: pfff, you just blow it up bro, no problem
>entire casts turns to the camera and winks
Jesus, is this how movies are going to be from now on?
>>
>shields in star wars have always been "slow stuff get through, fast stuff crashes"
>first movie they completely change the rules

That's just great
>>
>>64579027
wrong wrong wrong wrong

However, large objects in realspace cast "mass shadows" in hyperspace, so hyperspace jumps necessitated very precise calculations.[1]

The lanes are places where there aren't any of those celestial bodies in the way, you can't just go through stars as if they weren't there
>>
>>64579027
>Han's speech about how lethal hyperspace travel can be without precise computer calculations
>The EU ruins another idea, again
>>
>>64579291
But anon, it WAS a precise calculation :^)
>>
>>64579184
>Han: Ugghh, why is the pilot cabin filled with shitwater, didn't we install an insinkerator?

>Chewie; Roaarrrghh. Translation: I bypassed it :)
>>
>>64575356
>>64575625
because the force
>>
>>64579543
You mean because Kasdan

Fuck this hack holy shit
>>
>>64579290
>wrong wrong wrong wrong

What I told you was true - from a certain point of view.
>>
>>64579574
FROM MY POINT OF VIEW THE JEWS ARE EVIL
>>
>>64575428
No, because if you travel fast enough, you don't trigger a collision detection. It's like in Sonic 2, you can fly through walls or the ground if you are Super Sonic since the game doesn't cap your speed like it does when you are regular Sonic

Duh
>>
>>64579204
C3P0: (casually) "it would take a MIRACLE to save us now"
>>
>>64575931
wait, so the shields flicker on and off really fast?

why
>>
>>64575625
>How exactly the Falcon wouldn't survive a frontal impact of big sized asteroids in ESB but it can survive dozens of trees and a direct impact against snowy terrains?

Are you actually suggesting that sticks of wood and ice dust would do more damage than massive solid rock?
>>
>>64579027
this is false, if you were in a different dimension you wouldnt need fucking routes. the point of routes is to get around planets and shit.
>>
Why did it bother Han so much the fact that Finn called him "Solo"? Isn't that his name?
>>
>>64579707
the Falcon is travelling very fast, there's a thing called kinetic energy
>>
>>64576851
>12 parsec run time
12 parsec short cut.
>>
File: wpid-Photo-Feb-15-2013-934-PM.jpg (66 KB, 403x403) Image search: [Google]
wpid-Photo-Feb-15-2013-934-PM.jpg
66 KB, 403x403
>>64575356
>Are we supposed to eat that shit up?

Did you honestly expect JJ Abrams and Disney to give a single fuck about the quality of the story?

The movie is simply a bunch of random scenes based wholly upon on marketing demographic data.
>>
how did the first order manage to funnel the resources to make an even biggerer death star and somehow manage to keep its existence completely hidden

aren't they supposed to be like, the remnants of the empire? weaker than before and no longer the status quo?
>>
>>64578839
And Han still had the hope of bringing Kylo back.
>>
>>64579806
They get funded by Dexter Jettster's successful restaurant franchise, with the help of the Empire he monopolized 50's cafés in the galaxy.
>>
Why doesn't everyone on the surface of Starkiller freeze as soon as the sun is gone?
>>
>>64579729

Calling someone you just met purely by their last name is disrespectful, it implies an in-formalness you haven't yet earned
>>
>>64579848
That actually can be explained, the atmosphere of planets trap heat so it wouldn't be an instafreeze, they would eventually have to travel to another source of heat though.
>>
how does the death planet move? how can it absorb a star and fire it as a projectile, when stars are way, way bigger than planets
>>
>>64579899
matter can be compressed

locomotion systems in a sci-fi universe aren't such a big issue, it just has some future engines installed
>>
>>64579707
I have already explained it, anon.

In SW77 the Falcon was hit by debris from the remains of Alderaan. It was very small debris,, but still capable of inflicting enough force to make the interiors of the cockpit move erratically. The Falcon is later hit with blasts from TIE Fighters, damaging the ship enough to cause an internal fire.

In ESB the Falcon is hit by debris from the asteroid field, and again, its cockpit moves like crazy, and Leis and C3PO has a hard time to not fall to the floor. It is also hit by a blast from a Star Destroyer, and we can clearly see it greatly affects the Falcon's trayectory, even if the Falcon recovers nearly instantly.

In RotJ the Falcon's antennae hits some tubes of the Death Star II. The impact is strong enough to detach the antennae.

In TFA, the Falcon hits dozens of trees mere seconds after leaving hyperspace. While the trees were stationary, there were so many of them they would have made some serious damage to the ship. Futhermore, the ship crashes against a snowy surface.

The Falcon should have been completely inoperative, if not destroyed. And even if it survives, the crew should have suffered huge wounds if not died due to the convulsions.
>>
>>64579899
>how does the death planet move?

It doesn't move. Once it's drained the star completely it is useless. The star it was orbiting had enough fuel for two shots. That would destroy roughly 10 planets.

Understandably it feels like a "waste" to have the base be functionally useless after those two shots, but that's the nature of high grade military munitions. A tremendous investment is made for the benefit of an overwhelming and tactical show of force.
>>
I can taste the nerd ITT.

Christ, get a life people.
>>
>>64580017
turn your brain off bro
>>
>>64580016
that seems like a massive waste of resources, especially since the first order isn't what it used to be

why didn't they just build a death star again and blow up multiple planets with it
>>
>>64580016
it was stated that it was mobile, it just wasn't shown moving
>>
>>64580047

Pedantically arguing over a series which justifies most things with an invisible magical power that can't be quantified, measured, or seen, is useless.
>>
>>64579948

TFA is thirty years later and they make a point of telling you that it has been modified since then, it's not a stretch to think that it was also made stronger
>>
>>64580064
>seems like a massive waste of resources
>why didn't they just build a death star again

Of a total of two Death Stars built in the Original trilogy, the Empire blew up exactly one planet.

Starkiller Base blew up five planets.
Seems like a superior return on investment to me.
>>
>>64580089
it's fun
>>
>>64579948
>n RotJ the Falcon's antennae hits some tubes of the Death Star II. The impact is strong enough to detach the antennae.
Not just an antenna it was for the deflector shield generator.
>>
>>64575356
Something about the shield's refresh rate.

More importantly, don't all laser-based weapons move at light speed?
>>
>>64580089
so in other words, just turn your brain off bro
>>
>>64580016
nah starkiller moves. it makes it obvious in the new galaxy map. my problem is why cant they just suck up the sun of the worlds they want to destroy instead of shooting a fuckhuge laser at them?
>>
>>64580077
Saw the movie twice, don't remember any mention of Starkiller being mobile.
>>
>>64580097
naw man didn't you see the death star 2.0 vs 3.0 holographic comparison? it was like 16 times the size
>>
>>64580112

Shit works, because the force.

There, I turned off your brain for you.
>>
>>64580097
>>64580016
>>64580064
IT WAS MOBILE
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Starkiller_Base

"mobile ice planet"
>>
>>64580097
yeah but isn't the death star mobile, and can fire multiple times?

seems like a better long term investment
>>
>>64575356
>>64575391
I don't mind dumb science shit in Star Wars because it's fantasy, but jumping through the shield is inconsistent with Return of the Jedi and Death Star 2.
If you could just hyper little ships through shields there's no reason to infiltrate Endor in the first place. It's just dumb and glaringly contradictory of Jedi.
>>
>>64580089
>Pedantically arguing over a series which justifies most things with an invisible magical power that can't be quantified, measured, or seen, is useless.
Almost as useless as pedantically criticizing and trying to stop people who argue pedantically for recreation.
>>
>>64579636
nice analagy
>>
>>64579948
What do shielding of space craft in any scifi setting do? Any laser blast violently rocks the ship and causes fires inside? |
In the last JJ star trek the ship had huge holes in it and they claimed the shields were at 6% still.
>>
>>64580158

>but jumping through the shield is inconsistent with Return of the Jedi and Death Star 2.

It works because... the force.
>>
>>64580122
it was stated, don't remember when specifically, also retardpedia says it

>>64580154
>>
>>64575356
the whole movie is full of shit like this to eat up

>convenient weak spot meme reused twice to shorten and simplify something that should be more complicated

>convenient meme beam reused twice to cheapen and shorten experiences and real battle scenes

>invincible protag's that do no wrong

>shit enemies that have no weight behind their words or actions

>useless entire arcs in the story that serve no purpose other than to introduce old characters and add nothing

>nothing explained because Lost director who's writing style revolves around cheap inevitably empty promises
>>
>>64580154
so how does it move

does it have billions upon billions of propellers attached to the planet's surface or something
>>
>>64579948
ships in SW have deflector shields which likely cushion the impact, and trees are actually very weak against a giant metal ship traveling at a fraction of lightspeed
>>
>>64580119
>makes it obvious in the new galaxy map
I don't know the map you're talking about.

>>64580146
>it was like 16 times the size
most of which was just the planet they built it into. Starkiller could conceivably be cheaper to build than a classic Death Star, being as the original Death Stars are a moon-sized chunk of metal and electronics, wheras Starkiller base is mostly comprised of the planet it is built into along with (doubtlessly considerable) metal and electronics for its Death Star capabilities.
>>
>>64575356
It's a movie,not a documentary.
>>
>>64580220
except for the fact that the thing can absorb an entire star

and stars are pretty big, and pretty hot too, i can't imagine something like that being cheap
>>
>>64580220
its the one where they show rakata prime. starkiller is shown having an origin point, which implies its mobile
>>
>>64580157
>seems like a better long term investment
except those things have a track record of getting blown the fuck up. As I mentioned, the TWO Death stars from the Original Trilogy blew up a total of ONE planet.

The first order probably figured the heat would be on as soon as the weapon was used so they engineered one that would blow up multiple planets with the first shot.
>>
>>64580198
I'll take your word for it, but I don't remember that shit either.
>>
>>64580274
but the death planet was just as easily blow up able anyways
>>
>>64576559
>No, other shields in Star Wars cannot be bypassed by simply walking through them

Gungan shields can.
>>
>>64580177
In SW77 it does, the Falcon is hit by blasts, C3PO falls to the floor, a fire is started, R2 saves the day.

>>64580096
The movie does a poor job at suggesting any technological development at all.

The X-Wings are barely modified, Star Destroyers are like good old Star Destroyers, TIE Fighters seems a little better, but that's it.

What modifications could have been made to the Falcon to make it survive such a strong impact, or at least absorb it and mitigate it. At no point in the OT and in TFA it is suggested there's some type of shield protecting against physical impacts, they only have deflector shields and that's it.

>>64580218
Again, deflector shields only works with blasts. In ESB, the entire command bridge of a Star Destroyer suffers a direct impact of an asteroid, and is destroyed. Only Piett's death scene seems to suggest a relatuon between physical impacts and deflector shields, and yet it's quite possible the A-Wing could have destroyed the command bridge regardless of the state of deflector shields.
>>
>>64579707
Are you retarded?
What happens to a car when you hit it at 200 mph? What would happen to a car if you hit it at 500 mph? What happens to ANYTHING hitting anything else at over 100,000 miles per second?

>>64579878
But so is calling them by their last name.
>>
>>64580211
that sounds kinda cool... Steampunk like
>>
>>64580241
>i can't imagine something like that being cheap

Traditional Death Stars surely have some sort of fuel source as well. Im sure they aren't cheap as well.

But you're missing my point.

I said directly that while the Starkiller Base may feel like a "waste", that is the nature of largescale military munitions. They spend a shitload of money on something that will be used once. An atomic bomb is an enormous investment. That doesn't mean that militaries aren't willing to invest in them.

Even if Starkiller Base cost triple what a traditional Deathstar cost, its still statistically a superior investment to the Death Star, as those have a track record of destroying .5 planets per Death Star.
>>
>>64580309
Yes, but it destroyed ten times as many planets as the Death Star average.

Superior investment
>>
>>64580332

Thin trees are not strong enough to do damage to the falcon. In a falcon x tree collision, the tree will take all of the damage
>>
>>64580366
Different. Death stars move and have multiple uses. Their track record isn't by nature of their design. The planet had two uses and then that's it. I see what the other anon is saying.
>>
>>64580390
you don't understand how kinetic energy works m8
>>
>>64580109
thought it was like a sat dish for comm
>>
>>64580390
Falcon crashing through a whole forest is dumb.

just like a lot of things in this movie are dumb. I say this even though i thought the movie was generally alright.

No need to justify The Falcon's mysterious invlunerability. Its dumb but its not your fault.
>>
Starkiller base is an ice planet that can go close enough to a star to 'suck' it in for energy, yet not incinerate everything on the surface, or even melt the fucking snow. You can forget about stopping a spacecraft going at light speed within a couple hundred km.
>>
>>64580415
starkiller moves too, read the fucking thread dunce
>>
>>64576637
He obviously was not consciously Force sensitive, but plugged into it from time to time anyways.
>>
>>64580434
>starkiller moves too, read the fucking thread dunce

but how
>>
>>64580415
>Death stars move and have multiple uses
>multiple uses

So far they dont have multiple uses.

Wise military planning takes historical context into account. Surely the top brass of the First Order is aware that Death Stars don't have a good track record and have never been able to be used twice.

It is silly that you're arguing for the superior usefulness of the traditional Death Star when Starkiller destroyed five times as many planets as two Death Stars combined.
>>
>>64580390
In Real Life, very small particles are still capable of dealing a lot of damage to space suits and ships, not because of their size but because of their relative fast speed.

A A-Wing crashing through the command bridge of the Executor is strong enough to make it lost control of its path and all towards the Death Star. It's stupid that the entire ship has such a single flaw point, but it still proves that, with enough speed, a ship wouldn't last.

The Falcon was also supposed to be junk. Very damn fast junk, but junk nevertheless.
>>
>>64580434
>starkiller moves too
which is also dumb.

The writers knew the thing was gonna get blown the fuck up. Why not just write it as a stationary base that drains its' star and then is done?
>>
>>64579878
>>Calling someone you just met purely by their last name is disrespectful, it implies an in-formalness you haven't yet earned
>>64580332
>But so is calling them by their last name.
wut?
>>
>>64580479
why didn't they just build 10 death stars instead of one death planet
>>
>>64580549
presumably that represents a greater financial investment. Also, ten such bases would spread their forces too thin.
>>
>>64580249
I have it in front of me, there's no origin point. It just shows where the planet that was turned into Starkiller Base is located.
>>
>>64576332
>glaring weakness
Not really. The shield is probably not very far out from the surface. Trying to hit the sweetspot between surface and shield at FTL is probably really fucking hard.
>>
File: autism box.jpg (52 KB, 300x465) Image search: [Google]
autism box.jpg
52 KB, 300x465
>>64580507
Are you an autist?

The writers knew that the base was getting destroyed but the first order didn't, can't believe I'm explaining this shit.

Pic related
>>
>>64580507
They did. It's never ever implied anywhere that it moves. It's a two use doomsday weapon.
>>
File: darth-anakin.jpg (12 KB, 608x256) Image search: [Google]
darth-anakin.jpg
12 KB, 608x256
>>64575356
Prior to that scene, they mention that the shield is phased in intervals, and it requires a lightspeed jump to cross in the intervals. Pay attention, nigger.
>>
>>64575536
>Yes it does.
So any movie that's even remotely "made for kids" is automatically 10/10 and immune from criticism?

And stop with the bullshit that SW is made for kids. It's made for everyone. They fucking execute an entire village in the first 10 minutes of the movie. A soldier dies and leaves bloody fingers marks on his friend.

I hope you're trolling, because otherwise you're really fucking stupid.
>>
>>64580644
why is the shield phased at intervals
>>
File: map.jpg (160 KB, 900x1200) Image search: [Google]
map.jpg
160 KB, 900x1200
>>64580613
>>
>>64580618
They did it on their first try. Write a fucking program for it if you have to.
>>
>>64580249
I remember the map. I think it just showed Starkiller's location, don't recall any implication or outright statement of mobility.

I would say that it has to be immobile because it moving would be dumb as fuck... but this is Episode VII we're talking about here.

Anwyay, until they say it's moving to a new system in Episode IX (when we get Starkiller mark 2), I'm just going to assume it is immobile because nothing in Episode VII says otherwise.
>>
>>64575428
Hyperspace = Outside of normal space

It's not inconceivable that shields wouldn't repel something that's traveling in hyperspace.
>>
>>64580638
You're extremely dense... and needlessly rude.
>>
>>64580660
I don't know, but that isn't a failing of the movie. The obstacle is that there's a phased shield, so you have to be traveling at lightspeed to bypass it. The end result is a cool, risky maneuver that thrills the audience.
>>
>>64580641
no it's not, read the thread dumbass
>>
>>64580668
That's modified from the one in the Visual Dictionary. It only says [Starkiller Base] on there.
>>
>>64580641
>It's a two use doomsday weapon.
which was my point way back here
>>64580016
>>
>>64580673
Maybe the margin of error is so tiny that it's still risky as fuck. I'm not overly satisfied with their solution to the shield, but it's not hugely problematic.
>>
>>64580644
>missing the point
>>
>>64580719
it also doesn't stop you from building a bunch of bombs with hyperdrives
>>
>>64580704
>read the thread dumbass
the thread shows a marked difference of opinion on the question of whether it moves or not.

I certainly hope it wasn't intended to move, because that's dumb as fuck.
>>
>>64580674

>>64580154

Read the thread idiots
>>
>>64580724
>How in the actual fuck do they bypass Starkiller's shields with the Millenium Falcon?
But I answered the question, anon.

I guess for bonus points, it's never mentioned again because pulling that move is rewarded by a cool landing on the enemy base. Does there need to be a lengthy disposition of the event afterwards?
>>
>>64580742
Too inaccurate, I suppose. Maybe such an attack wouldn't really truly cripple it.

I'm really just playing devil's advocate at this point.
>>
>>64580764
I am reading the thread right now. Why are you calling me (and the guy on the exact opposite end of the argument) an idiot?
>>
File: Pablo_Hidalgo_It_Moves.png (38 KB, 637x275) Image search: [Google]
Pablo_Hidalgo_It_Moves.png
38 KB, 637x275
>>64580752
but pablo hidalgo, author of the force awakens visual dictionary, confirms that it moves
>>
>>64580780
I'm pointing you to the fact that it was already proven in that post that it moves
>>
>>64580785
okay.

That's fucking stupid.

but okay
>>
>>64580809
the death star could move and it was the size of a moon.

whats to stop them from doing the same to starkiller? it makes sense if they use starts as the ammo for the gun
>>
>>64580804
I saw a link to a fucking wikipedia article. Frankly i didn't find it particularly convincing.

I saw a credible proof that it moves here
>>64580785

and I stated my opinion on that topic here
>>64580809

Now, please refrain from needless namecalling in the future. Or dont... this is the fucking internet afterall... you... ummm... u-useless... uhhh... Heeb.
>>
>>64580832
Moving a planet around solar systems could totally fuck up the orbits of the planets.
>>
>>64580769
the point is that they clearly establish that it's hard as fuck, literally travelling at light speed and stopping nanoseconds before crashing into the planet

when it actually happens they treat it like it was no biggie, Han literally says something along the lines of: "it has to be done now" and he casually pulls a lever or some shit.

The point is that it's some lazy writing, artificial tension is released almost instantly and with no consequences.
>>
>>64580479
The first Death Star was capable of travelling across systems. The Starkiller is never seen capable of doing that.
The first Death Star doesn't need external power for its superlaser. The Starkiller needs an entire sun for recharging, thus it destroys an entire system before even firing its beam.
The second Death Star can use its laser against capital ships, thus allowing the Death Star to assist Imperial fleets. The Starkiller doesn't seem capable of that.

The only remote advantage the Starkiller could have is that 90% of its surface isn't covered by turbolasers like the Death Star, so it could probably have some docking bays or whatever. And even being covered by turbolasers and turrets would have allowed the Death Star to be used against entire Rebel fleets without problems, whereas Starkiller cannot be used for that purpose.

Other than that, it's such a waste of galactic resources for such an output, whereas the second Death Star, which would have been invulnerable, could destroy the same planets a Starkiller would do in one hit, albeit in a longer time.

It also doesn't matter the Starkiller could fire from anywhere, since the second Death Star would have been flawless, thus no rival faction would have been capable of avoiding complete, uther destruction.

There's no way you can say Starkiller is the superior design. It isn't.
>>
>>64580850
no u
fight me irl bitch and see what happens
>>
Why is starkiller covered in snow when it's so close to the sun and has a giant laser coming out of it?
>>
>>64580870
so find one without any sizable planets.

the galaxy is fucking huge, there have gout to be more than 5000000+ lonely stars with nothing around them

and that is an extremely conservative estimate
>>
If they managed to cross the shield by warp speed, why do they have to turn off the shield to let the x-wing squadron arrived? They can just do the same thing like millenium falcon did
>>
>>64580877
Literally all tension in movies is artificial tension. Plus Han's more grizzled and cocksure than ever now. Of course he's going to play it smooth.
>>
>>64580944
cuz it's dangerous
>>
>>64580832
I suppose you have a point. A lot of science fiction (not the good stuff like Heinlein and Clarke) is really fucking stupid when it comes to transportation.
I suppose there is just an emotional response that makes Starkiller moving seem less plausible than the Death Star, probably because the Death Star is a "constructed" object, whereas Starkiller is a planet.

Either way, they'd both have to travel through Hyperspace.

I don't even bother listing it as one of my objections to this new flick (because as mentioned most Sci-fi glazes over the difficulty of interstellar travel), but I find it kind of annoying how star drives in Abram's flicks are insta-travel miracle boxes... I mean... Rey and Chewy get the map to Luke and are there after a literal 30 second jump. The movie doesn't even try to imply a greater passage of time in transit, but represents itself as showing the entire jump.
This is a fairly minor quibble, but frankly I've always found that grappling with the immense distance and difficulty of interstellar travel creates the most interesting parts of good science fiction. Star Wars has always made space travel a little "too easy", but at least in Episode IV we got a long section of downtime onboard the Millennium Falcon en route to Alduran, which allowed us a period for character development...

okay... gripe over.
>>
>>64580889

>"It is very much — and it's acknowledged as such in the movie — apparently another Death Star. But what it's capable of, how it works, and what the threat is, is far greater than what the Death Star could have done. Starkiller Base is another step forward, technologically speaking, in terms of power."

―J.J. Abrams, on the similarities and differences between the Death Stars and Starkiller Base

is he the biggest hack in history?
>>
>>64580660
if the only thing that can pass through is light or light speed they can charge weapon without drooping shields?
>>
>>64580944
There's a shield on the planet to prevent unwanted landings, and there's a separate deflector shield on the thermal oscillator in place to prevent x-wings from hitting the weak spot.
>>
If Starkiller uses the energy of a sun to recharge itself. How did the First Order managed to charge it up first for the first attack? Is Jakku actually Tatootine and they used the second sun? How the fuck do they recharge that shit when the weapon is stationary?
>>
>>64575536
Kill yourself, nigger.
>>
>>64580325
Star Wars ships have deflector and particle shields, shielding them from both energy and material attacks. Otherwise proton torpedoes and other physical attacks such as rockets would instantly kill any ship.
>>
>>64580945
Let me rephrase that, there's no tension in that scene because their problem is instantly solved without trouble.
>>
So basically shields are useless. Just send in a nuke at light speed if attacking the enemy, you wouldn't even need to endanger yourself.
>>
>>64580877
>Han is so badass he can pull shit like this
>shit that no other person can
>shit that has 2% chance of working
>he still gave up on looking for his son
>because it was TOO HAAARD!!!!

I know it's not the same, but fuck, it manages to make Han look like a cunt. The guy pulls the impossible before breakfast every day, but he just gives up? And it's not like he gave up 10 years after Kylo was gone, he went back to smuggling and not looking for him right away.
>>
>>64581079
why a nuke?

just send a paint chip though fast enough and you can destroy anything on the planet, even going straight to the core
>>
>>64581004
>stationary
have you read anything in this thread>?
>>
>>64580889
>The first Death Star was capable of travelling across systems. The Starkiller is never seen capable of doing that.
I was one of the guys arguing that Starkiller can't move because that would be ridiculous, but the thread has shown me to be incorrect in that assertion.
Starkiller moves just like the Death Star, so no advantage for the Death Star there

>The first Death Star doesn't need external power for its superlaser
There's just no way that is true.
We aren't told what the power source is for the Death Star, but it is obviously something. Obviously it doesn't eat stars like starkiller, but it clearly needs some source of fuel.
No Advantage for the Death Star there.

>being covered by turbolasers and turrets would have allowed the Death Star to be used against entire Rebel fleets without problems, whereas Starkiller cannot be used for that purpose.
Right... no way you could install all the turrets and missile bays you want onto Starkiller... afterall, you've only got a whole planet to work with.
No advantage for Death Star there.

>it's such a waste of galactic resources
We're talking about a weapon who's whole purpose is to destroy entire planets. Neither design is made by conservationists. Furthermore, in this context, destroying an extra system is conceivably an advantage, being that, as mentioned, the whole function of the weapon is to destroy star systems.

>the second Death Star, which would have been invulnerable
Neither Death Star was invulnerable.

>There's no way you can say Starkiller is the superior design. It isn't.
None of the design features you mentioned show a clear advantage for the Death Star. All of them are neutral at best. All we have to go on is the track record of the two designs, and as I mentioned several times earlier, Two Death Stars destroyed one planet. One Starkiller destroyed five planets.
Track record indicates that Starkiller is a superior design.
>>
>>64581029
The movies never establish the concept of physical shields.

I'm sorry, but if you need to use EU material to explain what it happens in the movies, then it's the movie's fault.

NOTHING in the OT suggest the Falcon could survive its crash in Starkiller, and NOTHING in TFA suggest the Starkiller is mobile. I don't care about whatever guy tells in Twitter, and even if the battle station is mobile, it's still nowhere superior to the second Death Star as Jar Jar Abrams suggest for the reasons I said in >>64580889
>>
>>64581180
>The movies never establish the concept of physical shields.

They did in ANH. Rewatch it again.
>>
>>64580850
>didn't find it particularlyconvincing.

Article exclusively quotes canon sources. Fuck, you want me to send Kazdan to your house to explain it?
>>
>>64581180
Except for the OT having SHIELD GENERATORS.
>>
>>64580097
> Death Star 1 was destroyed because of the 2 meter ventilation shaft
> Death Star 2 changed the 2 meter ventilation shaft for multiple, much smaller shafts
> Only got destroyed because it wasn´t finished and had a giant as fuck tunnel freely accessible

A third one would have worked fantastically.
Really would have liked a third Death Star more than that fucking planet.
>>
>>64581239
I didn't read the article. I saw that a source outside the movie was required to clear up something the movie didn't make clear (something that's coming up more and more with this flick).

I saw the twitter post and acknowledged that the writers likely intended Starkiller to move, and I acknowledged that that's fucking dumb, but I got over it. Fuck, you want me to send somebody you've never heard of and don't care about to your house to explain that?
>>
>>64581180
>"Sir, we just lost the main rear deflector shield. One more direct hit on the back quarter and we're done for!"
>>
>>64581153
The only flaw found in the original Death Star was its thermal exhaust port. A sabotage mission would have probably been impossible given the bureoucracy and tons of garrisons in the battle station, and all available docking bays were in the equatorial latitude of the Death Star. We are also told the second Death Star didn't have the flaw the first one had, that's why destroying it before it was finished was so important, because the Rebels would never be capable of destroying it.

The second Death Star has an internal core which is destroyed by both Wedge and Lando, and that's how the Death Star generates its superlaser, whereas the Starkiller uses a beam, not a laser, and its beam is composed of energy from the local sun. Probably some fuel would be needed, but the Death Star must have some internal factories, otherwise if the station isn't self autonomous it would requires thousands of transport ships just for supplies for its workers. Every day.

Since the Starkiller itself only covers a small part of the planet, the Falcon could land in vast amounts of the planet's surface without problem, that would have been impossible with the Death Star because the entire artificial moon has covered with something.

Again, NOTHING in the movie suggest the Starkiller is a bigger thread. It's just bigger.
>>
>>64581300
the article uses the same twitter post as reference tho
>>
>>64581288
>A third one would have worked fantastically.
we both know that isn't true. This is Star Wars. Whatever the big bad evil guys built was going to be destroyed by the plucky heroes.
>>
>>64581180
>The movies never establish the concept of physical shields.

The 2nd Death Star had a deflector shield powered by a deflector dish on the forest moon of Endor.
>>
>>64581318
>NOTHING in the movie suggest the Starkiller is a bigger threat.
Except that it blew up five planets in a single shot, while two Deathstars combined to blow up one planet.
>>
>>64581321
I imagine they would have destroyed it by infiltrating it like they did with the Starkiller base but planting bombs in the reactor or something so it really would be the empires incompetence to find intruders that is their downfall and not a problem with their superior tech.
>>
>>64581226
>>64581305
I said physical shields, as in shields that protects against physical targets. The ships in the OT only has deflector shields, which could only protect against blasts, but it couldn't do shit against rocks and any other big stuff composed of matter.
>>
>>64575356
They explain right before it happens exactly what they are doing and why it will work. I hated TFA and all the shitty writing, but that part was one of the few scenes done absolutely fine

I'm not going to fucking tell you how and why it worked, you should have been listening you ADHD retard
>>
>>64581320
I didn't read the article because I didn't care. I acknowledged that the Starkiller moves and that that is dumb.

Why are we still talking about this?
>>
>>64575356
Ther retarded part about this scene is that he has to manually turn of the lightspeed travel, when he's past the shield but in front of the planet
While going at 300'000 km/h
By flicking a switch
>>
>>64581367
if they could only stop energy, then how did they get the star destroyers though the asteroid field in V?
>>
>>64581367
When they encounter the Alderaan remains, Han told Chewie to raise the shields.

Did you even watch the movies?
>>
>>64581350
The second Death Star would have destroyed those 5 systems in 5x the time, but without rendering 5 systems sunless, and without being unable to fire against rebel capital ships, and without being unable to attack entire rebel fleets just alone.
>>
>>64581359
not really sure what you're trying to imply, but Starkiller is obviously a superior design. It destroys five planets in one shot. Also draining a star for a fuel source is likely a more efficient power supply than whatever powered the Death Stars.
(that is an assumption, but based on the fact that fusion power is the most efficient power source in real life or implied in the Star Wars universe)
>>
>>64581411
The Star Destroyers in V are forced to blast every big asteroid they encounter. And even sometimes they can't avoid a direct impact. Do you remember that Star Destroyer whose entire command bridge was hit by an asteroid multiple times bigger than the Falcon? Also:

"Yes, admiral."
"Our ships have sighted the Millenium Falcon, my Lord. But, it has entered an asteroid field and we cannot risk..."
"Asteroids do not concern me, admiral. I want that ship, not excuses."

Why would Piett warn Vader against putting the entire fleet inside an asteroid field, if they could just power up their shields? They're clearly not invulnerable, no matter how much powerful the shields are, and we see them destroying each asteroid they find in their path.
>>
>>64581420
>The second Death Star would have
>Would have

You're arguing that a hypothetical Death Star would have been a superior design to the actual Starkiller.

The Death Star you're talking about blew up ZERO planets. How can you truly believe that it is a superior design?

I could play the same hypothetical game and say that Starkiller WOULD HAVE blown up 1000 planets, and drained the stars of 1000 more rebel friendly planets, but that would be a stupid thing to say because that's not what happened.

Death Stars get blown up by rebels. So do Starkillers. This is the nature of doomsday weapons.
The doomsday weapon that brings the most doomsday is the most successful.

Deathstar II planetary kill count - 0
Starkiller Base planetary kill count - 5

Starkiller wins.
>>
>>64581416
In Alderaan they only find the same type of debris they also find in Hoth. In Hoth, they also find asteroids much bigger than the Falcon itself.

Even the most powerful shield wouldn't protect the Falcon against such impact, which is why all the crashing in Starkiller Base is ridiculous.
>>
>>64581487
because it lengthens the amount of time that they are inside the field searching for the falcon, thus increasing the strain on the shields leading to an eventual failure and putting the ships at risk. they shoot the asteroids to break them up into smaller pieces that don't hit the shields as hard
>>
The more I think about it, the more the whole blowing up the death planet thing seemed ridiculously easy. here's a spaceship the size of a planet and you manage to blow it up in 2 minutes with one ground team and 15 fighter ships.

not to mention coincidentally finding the room where you can lower all the shields with a press of a button.
>>
>>64581369
the complaints are more along the lines of >>64581396
everyone understands the hurr durr muh resetting force field

they act like it's all hard and shit and this impossible task is handled like it's a walk in the park to pull a lever in the exact nanosecond
>>
>>64581487
In the PT, even the droids have physical shields.
>>
>>64581502
The second Death Star was destroyed because its surface wasn't finished in time to prevent small one fighters to attack its core. Had the battle station being finished before the battle of Endor, it would have never been possible to destroy it. The Rebel generals tell this in their briefing, I am not making shit up.

Starkiller had vulnerable points in its surface. The finished second Death Star would have not. It's a superior design.
>>
>>64575356
The movie was very fast paced like that. One of the reasons I didn't like that much.
>>
>>64581526
That's not what where talking about. You (or another anon?) claimed there wasn't physical shields in the movies. There was.
>>
>>64581561
Also, why did the silver-armored Stormtrooper commander agree to lower the shields?

What is her incentive? If she doesn't lower the shields they'll kill her. If she does lower the shields then they'll probably kill her, and definitely try to blow up the base, killing her, her commanders, and all her men, not to mention crippling the cause she's fighting for.

What possible reason could she have for cooperating with them (other than moving the story along)?

This movie just gets dumber and dumber the closer you look.

At least Kylo Ren was scary as hell for the first half of the movie (until he runs up against Rey)
>>
>>64581533
A single asteroid rendered an entire Star Destroyer completely useless. This happen in the same scene when this exchange from an Imperial officer to Vader happens: "[...] Considering the amount of damage we have sustained, they must have been destroyed"
>>
>>64575396
No other reason. Disney bought Star Wars so they could have another cash cow. You should expect another trilogy after this one.
>>
>>64575396
what the fuck are you talking about?! you think they make movies for other reasons than monetary??
>>
>>64581624
Weird that ANH felt much slower in terms of pace even with the same runtime
>>
>>64581599
Grand Moff Tarkin said the first Death Star was invulnerable too. That worked out great for him.

If they'd finished the second death star, some weakness would have been discovered and exploited. Or not.

Doesn't matter. Never happened.

Deathstar II - 0
Starkiller Base - 5

Starkiller wins
>>
>>64581624
OP here.
Exactly! Those pacing flaws really expose the lazy writing. There's no time to ponder on the consequences of any of their actions because they are being instantly dragged to the next set piece, and this breakneck blind pace dominates the whole movie.
>>
>>64575356

A better question is, how did she bypass the compressor?
>>
>>64581691
some people do. I wont deny that genuine artistic expressions are getting pretty few and far between, but there are still people out there making movies for reasons other than money.

The Coen brothers spring to mind, but that's just my opinion.
>>
>>64581730
The same way that Chewie always bypasses the Falcon's toilet drain and prevents it from being clogged with hairballs.
>>
>>64581704
par for the course these days right?
>>
>>64580673
name one time they've used programming in star wars
>>
>>64581784
Archie
>>
>>64581766
ye, not like the old Sheev days where you could Order 66 all these idiots' asses with one hollo-call.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.