[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people get so incredibly defensive when I bring up the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 9
File: 4619769032.jpg (1 MB, 4524x3234) Image search: [Google]
4619769032.jpg
1 MB, 4524x3234
Why do people get so incredibly defensive when I bring up the gender gap in the film industry?

I'm a director. I happen to be a lady too. I've been doing this since I was a kid and have finally started to work in the actual industry - after many, long, hard years proving myself. I have some of the finest representation in LA, managers and agents. But people still look at me as a novelty.

While sometimes I feel like we're moving towards positive change, the reactions I get when talking about this subject are extremely discouraging to say the least. How can we change if the majority refuses to acknowledge there's a problem?

If someone tells me "Women just aren't into directing..." one more time, I'm gonna snap.
Why is it so hard for people to accept this reality? Why are people in such denial?
To conclude this little rant, I had a thought the other day - would it not kind of be the coolest thing if the Oscar's introduced a Female Director category?

Yeah it seems kind of backwards, and nobody likes the sound of affirmative action, but think of it this way: If there were 5 Oscars nominations guaranteed to go out to female directors in a year, suddenly big studios would be intentionally hiring women to direct big movies.

Suddenly, we're not a liability, we're a potential cash-cow! I think in the long run, a move like this could make big, big changes. Thoughts?
>>
Did you direct those Buzzfeed videos about how slovenly fat women are actually more desirable than hot, in shape ones?

Love your work!
>>
if women were good enough to direct big films they'd already be doing so. why reduce the quality of films by hiring second class female directors to fill some bullshit gender quota?
>>
>>64574723
this
>>
>woman director

name one active female director that isn't some combination of hack/retarded/below average

impossible mode: no kathryn bigelow or isabel coixet

ill wait
>>
File: sm4wa2xhcm6x02jh8ap8.png (547 KB, 500x456) Image search: [Google]
sm4wa2xhcm6x02jh8ap8.png
547 KB, 500x456
>>64573901

Hollywood or production studios of any kind don't think women can handle positions that needs them to be leaders. Commanding crews of hundreds of people, men with egos etc. And if they can do the job then it's mostly reserved to films such as romcoms or something effeminate to that.

This is all from an article I read. Overall good for you if you made in roads into the industry, ut even for men, its hard to break in let alone a woman, least you have connections straight out of the cradle.
>>
>it's an OP copypastes bait from reddit to make a /tv/ thread that gets 300+ replies because /tv/ is now nothing but /v/ 2.0
>>
>>64574908
please provide source before i ask the OP something
>>
>>64574948
>I can't Google
>>
File: anita.jpg (463 KB, 1262x1760) Image search: [Google]
anita.jpg
463 KB, 1262x1760
>>64573901
>LISTEN UP SHITLORDS, I HAVE A CUNT AND THEREFOR ENTITLED TO TOP POSITIONS IN THE FILM INDUSTRY!
>MY SELF-LUBRICATING FUCKHOLE DESERVES IT!
>P- PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO ME! I DEMAND IT!
>>
>>64574984
why not? it's easy
>>
>>64575489
Jesus christ no wonder that woman hates men she must never get any kind of dick.
>>
File: dffg.png (78 KB, 791x507) Image search: [Google]
dffg.png
78 KB, 791x507
>>64573901
I find it funny that feminists or women in general never really talk or even mention how 65% of college graduates are female now.
Or how things like veterinarians, teachers, nursing , are like 80% women.
we are living in a society where if a man wants to be a teacher he really cant, not just because most schools hire women but because everyone always assumes male teachers are abusers.

a lot of careers will have majority of one gender. That's a fact.
another funny thing is how the most dangerous jobs are 90% men, life risking jobs that no woman is asking for.

The real question you should be asking is why are some careers so gender specific, about BOTH GENDERS. is it maybe that women like certain things and men like other things and that's what happens?

so ok, you find it unfair about your career, but do you find it unfair that jobs where people could die are all men oriented? does that even bother you? do you wish women had to register in the military at age 18?

and this is not even counting race, if you really want to get SJW about it, what about people from minority backgrounds? even black and latino men have a hard time breaking in Hollywood, do you care about that?

Do you care that Hollywood is very racist? even to women? that's what I fnd hilarious about a white woman complaining about inequality. when MEN of color dont even have the opportunities YOU had, cunt
>>
>>64576965
As if you give half a shit about any of what you talked about aside from when you can make a point to SJWs

Anyway, nice copypasta OP
>>
>>64576965
> feminists or women in general never really talk or even mention how 65% of college graduates are female now.

who says they don't?

>everyone always assumes male teachers are abusers.

maybe in america but generally male teachers are sought after because they are so underused and it is crucial to have both genders teaching

>life risking jobs that no woman is asking for.

says who?

>even black and latino men have a hard time breaking in Hollywood, do you care about that?

generally they do care about that, yes

>Do you care that Hollywood is very racist?

yes

>cunt

lost all credibility
>>
>>64574901
wow you read one article? congrats man that must have been hard
>>
>>64574723
who mentioned a quota?

you obviously didn't read OP
>>
>>64577164

same goes for your shitposting.
>>
>>64573901
>women shouldn't have to compete with men because they're women

Fuck off, cunt.

If a director is worth a fuck, they'll get hired to direct regardless of whether or not they have tits and gaping vagina.
>>
>>64577091
well, I care more about racism that I care about sexism I will tell you that.
I definitely care more about cops beating a guy just because his skin is brown than some cunt complaining about manspreading or stare rape.
Specially when the most vocal and the most aggresive femin are white middle class women, probably the most privileged group of people in the country.
I really love how most feminists always forget that America is full of people from other races. it always seems to be this black and white issue where it is always this "men vs women" thing while in reality it is more of a problem between classes and wealth (you never see a rich woman complain about unfairness or inequality do you?) the problem is never really a "man vs woman" kind of thing but it is a "rich vs poor" thing.
Sure there is sexism still, but Like i said, most women of color probably worry more about racism than sexism. specially today.
>>
>>64577101
>that much denying
I dont know if you are OP but if you are going to deny everything then why even bother posting here.
I have never seen a feminist bring up how colleges are majoirty women now. In fact feminists are trying to take over colleges COMPLETELY now, 65% is not enough, they keep fighting to take over male dominated careers (even though women still are majority now) What is the biggest push right now as far as college goes? women are trying to take over science classes, Majority science classes. that's sexist because why are classes majority men?

But then when you have nursing being 90% women, that's progress.. right? because a majority woman class is the right thing...

>life risking jobs that no woman is asking for.
> says who

eh... I don't know, Statistics?...
Feminists complain and complain women earn less overall (pay gap), but they are unwilling to work the hours or do the jobs men do that earn them more.
Women overall simply don't want to do the same work that men do, and that's fine, but feminists shouldn't then complain that this results in less overall pay. Feminists want women to have the benefits without having to equally earn those benefits.

but I forgot, statistics and facts are sexist. nevermind then
>>
File: b8.png (18 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
b8.png
18 KB, 500x500
>>64573901
>>
>>64573901
Here's your (you)
>>
>shoots red

D R O P P E D
R
O
P
P
E
D
>>
File: 666.jpg (42 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
666.jpg
42 KB, 500x375
>>64575489
this picture reminds me of this show for some reason
>>
Certain jobs appeal more to different genders. This is a a fact of reality. Women prefer nursing and social work, men prefer engineering and construction. Film sets are like construction sites in a way so it's only natural that there are more men. Working your way up to being a director usually involves starting out as a grunt who hauls heavy objects around which also naturally favors male anatomy.

I went to film school. In my directing class of 50 people there were only 6 girls and this is after the SJW admissions department I'm sure did a little affirmative action of their own.

Why does any job have to reflect the racial or gender makeup of society? Actual equality is everyone getting judged by the same standards not artificially hiring people to serve some misguided political agenda. Why don't the SJWs go after waste disposal and plumbing companies for not hiring more women? If they actually cared about equality and fairness they wouldn't just go after the glamorous jobs.
>>
>>64578278
excellent post, Im saving this.
>>
Who cares.
Women are always wiggling their imaginary dicks in the faces of men proclaiming "haha we're better than you!" when it doesn't matter because the world is already ash.
>>
>>64574852

Lynne Ramsay
That chick who.directed Selma
Jodie Foster

>>64578278

This is stupid. Also

> film sets are structured like construction sites

You say you're a film student but have you ever been involved in any production?
>>
>>64573901
The question you should ask yourself is:
On a scale of 1 to 10 how jewish are you?
>>
>>64578571

>This is stupid

Solid argument. I guess I shouldn't have expected more from someone who thinks the chick who directed The Beaver isn't a hack.

>You say you're a film student but have you ever been involved in any production?

I was a film student ten years ago and since then I've built a resume two pages long much of which are $1 million+ productions, not that it's really relevant to the discussion.
>>
>>64577212
>Who mentioned a quota?

"Best Female Director"

I think the OP did. What did you read?
>>
American Psycho was directed by a woman.
>>
>>64578717

So you're familiar with film productions, big and small and believe because of the way they are structured more men go for that kind of position, as if to say the reason go to be directors are strictly because of the work behind making a film and not because of some creative spark or passion for film making? You see how thats a stupid thing to say?

I'm not sure how truthful your "resume" is but right now with all due respect it sounds like you're talking out of your ass. Especially for unironically using "SJWs"

doesn't maktter whether you think Foster is a hack, I mentioned three off the top of my had because regardless OP was going to have an issue with whoever I chose anyway
>>
>>64573901
It's because SJW's (not saying women or even real feminists) don't actually want to push themselves to work for anything.
>>
women belong in front of the camera, not behind.
the women that are behind the camera were too ugly to make it as actresses. or too annoying. thats just the truth.
>>
>>64578862

>as if to say the reason go to be directors

What?

>are strictly because of the work behind making a film and not because of some creative spark or passion for film making?

I never said that. Of course, most people who get into tv/film are passionate about it. It doesn't matter how passionate about it you are if you don't want to do the manual labor which is what most jobs on a film set involve. Film crews are mostly electricians, grips, riggers and builders all of which are jobs that naturally draw more men than women.

I might be passionate as hell about ballet but I eat too many cheeseburgers to be the prima ballerina at the royal ballet. They do have male ballerinas, but there is way less interest from men to be ballerinas as opposed to women. And that's fine. You won't see me writing a huff post editorial about a sexist conspiracy in the world of ballet. Men and women have different interests. Deal with it.

Stop talking about the evil patriarchy boogeyman that is holding women back and show me a statistic or study proving that women want to be directors in the same numbers that men do and I'll give a shit.

>you're talking out of your ass.
>You see how thats a stupid thing to say?

Quality debate skills dawg. Maybe you should go back to the self victimization echo chamber of Tumblr where you belong.

inb4 LET'S COMPARE RESUMES SCRUB HURR DURRR
>>
>>64579261
>I might be passionate as hell about ballet but I eat too many cheeseburgers to be the prima ballerina at the royal ballet. They do have male ballerinas, but there is way less interest from men to be ballerinas as opposed to women. And that's fine. You won't see me writing a huff post editorial about a sexist conspiracy in the world of ballet. Men and women have different interests. Deal with it.

not even Ballerinas, cus that's like a far fetched example. A man wants to be a teacher, wants to influence young people, wants to make a change. But he cant because the market is completely saturated by women and because society feels weird about men teaching kids. He might be able to teach college but even in College men are having to become "yes men" and not teach or say anything that will trigger the sjw retards.
>>
>>64579261

Okay so which is it, film crews or directors, cause I will 100% agree that most film crews are primarily made up of men and with good reasons. When I was in film school while the balance certainly tipped in favor of men there were more than just ten percent of women who wanted to be directors, so I'm not sure what exactly you're trying to explain by giving us those types of numbers.

Also you're the only one mad here m8, I just have a hard time taking someone who unironically uses "sjws" and "tumblr" in conversation seriously like at all, and makes it hard for me that you had a real authoritative role in the film makong process of any thing more than a few hundred thousand dollars.

But I mean, thats just me man
>>
Why don't you direct yourself to the kitchen and fix me a sandwhich
>>
>>64579341

Come on dude, grow up. This is so fucking stupid, are women put under the same pressure in male dominated fields?
>>
>>64578842
No wonder it was such shit.
>>
>>64579376

>clearly be mad
>WHY U MAD BRO IM NOT MAD
>can't counter anything specific
>BSHHH WHATEVER BRO CAN'T TAKE YOU SERIOUSLY BECAUSE MEMES
>implying I can't have a valid opinion on this subject unless I have 1000+ days as the department head on million dollar shoots
>>
>>64579511

whoa lol you okay bro?
>>
>>64579537

>if I laugh and act cool maybe no one will notice how my shitty feminist argument just got completely shit on
>>
>>64579511

So are you going to clarify your earlier statements or are you literally going to storm off? For the record I was under the impression you gave (discussing film director genders and your 1mil projects) that you were saying you were involved to a higher capacity in film making or an independent film maker in your own right which was my fault admittedly.

I know now by your general tone and attitude this isn't the case.
>>
>>64579665

Not me senpai just laughing at how rekt your asshole has gotten
>>
>>64577893
>But then when you have nursing being 90% women, that's progress.. right?
This is a strawman that you just made up. I haven't seen any feminists defend this.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (145 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
145 KB, 1920x1080
>>64578127
Weird, it reminded me of this Scooby Doo ep
>>
>>64573901
This is bait but why are SJWs and feminist making these things problems? Stuff like discrimination is at an all time low and was decreasing. They are just exacerbating problems that were taking care of themselves and by doing so it seems like they have created more discrimination. Nobody worth a shit cares if you're a woman director, they care about your ability to direct. If you're a shitty director you won't get hired, what do people have to gain by hiring a less qualified director over you because you're a woman? They can only lose.
>>
> Why am I shitposting?
>>
>>64576965
>>64579819

>person Literally posted a pic showing the percentage
>MUH strawman argument
>yfw when person replying is literally retarded

Google it friend, one simple google search. 91% nursing, 60% college graduates.
that doesn't sound like equality to me, sounds like majority. Can't be equal if women take majority. women need to stop going to nursing
>>
>muh glass cieling! Why can I not reach the top jobs?
Funny how everytime someone brings up gender gap in something they always talk about very good paying jobs and jobs that only a select few can get.
You'll never see a woman argue about the gender gap in hard jobs with a shitty wage.
>>
>>64580751
They already have the shitty wage jobs in nursing, teaching, and retail.
>>
>>64573901
>would it not kind of be the coolest thing if the Oscar's introduced a Female Director category?
Why do you think women need to be segregated from male directors? Do you not see women as being equal to men in terms of filmmaking?
>>
>>64576965
This so fucking hard.

Whenever I'm in the job market, the first jobs I tend to look for are things like "receptionist", "administrative assistant", "executive assistant", etc. due to my previous work experience and it's hard as fuck getting those jobs because employers prefer to hire women for them.

News flash, feminists. There are plenty of industries that strongly favor women to the point where men can't get hired simply because they're men. Women aren't the only ones who are victims to unequal opportunities in the job market.
>>
File: feminism.jpg (363 KB, 472x762) Image search: [Google]
feminism.jpg
363 KB, 472x762
>>64573901
>ould it not kind of be the coolest thing if the Oscar's introduced a Female Director category?
>Yeah it seems kind of backwards, and nobody likes the sound of affirmative action, but think of it this way: If there were 5 Oscars nominations guaranteed to go out to female directors in a year, suddenly big studios would be intentionally hiring women to direct big movies.
or..or maybe, it would be like every other form of affirmative action and highlight those people as failures and targets of just resentment.
>>
>>64573901
>Why do people get so incredibly defensive when I bring up the gender gap in the film industry?
because you don't shut the fuck up about it nobody cares as long as you get the job done
>>
>>64579376
I just have a hard time taking someone who unironically uses "sjws" and "tumblr" in conversation

do you actually think people of a similar mindset DONT have a say in how this shit is run?
>>
Literally everyone is oppressed in one way or another, even white males. Stop fucking whining and just work towards whatever it is you want to do.
>>
File: trash reddit.jpg (158 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
trash reddit.jpg
158 KB, 800x533
>>64581822
>or...or
>>
>>64578071
There's alexa behind it, seem like comparsion setup that some renthouses do, another flag that this post is shitty bait.
>>
>>64573901
>Suddenly, we're not a liability, we're a potential cash-cow! I think in the long run, a move like this could make big, big changes. Thoughts?

Wow, sounds like you're really in for the cinema.
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.