[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Havent seen it. What do I need to know?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 180
Thread images: 17
File: tfa.jpg (2 MB, 1458x2160) Image search: [Google]
tfa.jpg
2 MB, 1458x2160
Havent seen it.

What do I need to know?
>>
It's more of a reboot than a sequel.
>>
File: Rhdjshsg.jpg (311 KB, 777x905) Image search: [Google]
Rhdjshsg.jpg
311 KB, 777x905
>I'll never be a good jedi
>Yes you will. And when you are I want to be your padawan
>>
Pacing is rushed, the new characters and the plot are awfully written but it's still fun to watch
>>
A glib facsimile
>>
>>64570496
It's a marvel flick, don't go in expecting Star Wars
>>
If you liked the OT, it's going to suck. If you didn't, you'll enjoy it.

It's Star Wars for people who don't like Star Wars
>>
Evil space nazis are veri veri evil
>>
>>64570616
holy shit that's adorable
>>
>>64570696
Oh that makes sense
>>
>>64570696
This
>>
Just turn your brain off!

Shouldn't be too hard considering most of the losers here never turned theirs on.
>>
blue and orange
>>
>>64570696
I loved the OT and liked it.
>>
>Not one spoiler
>>
>>64570496
BOY DOES SOMETHING EVER HAPPEN TO HAN SOLO
>>
File: 1447320982774.jpg (51 KB, 394x379) Image search: [Google]
1447320982774.jpg
51 KB, 394x379
>>64570636

>New characters
>awfully written

This is what /tv/ actually believes.
>>
>>64570696
This makes sense. Literally every person I know that claimed that the OT feels slow and dated loved TFA
>>
File: 1451177857805.gif (494 KB, 200x201) Image search: [Google]
1451177857805.gif
494 KB, 200x201
>>64570696

I'm a massive OT purist (read: faggot) and I still got a kick out of it. It's the most Star Warsiest movie since Return of the Jedi.

>It's Star Wars for people who don't like Star Wars

And those people are...? Does /tv/ think Star Wars was never massively popular?
>>
>>64570968
Rey - my personality begins and ends with I'm good at everything and everyone likes me
Finn - I want to leave the First Order because I don't like killing but then I'll slaughter a bunch of First Order stormtroopers in cold blood before being reduced to bad comic relief

Truly god tier writing
>>
>>64570696

>If you liked the OT, it's going to suck.

Nigga, it's the exact opposite.
>>
>>64571082

Finn
>I didn't want to kill for them
>For them
>FOR THEM
>>
>>64570496
Rey is perfect and has no Flaws, black guy is token and mostly there for comic relief, there's lots of nostalgia pandering, it's really more of a remake than a sequel.
>>
It's a great film. /TV/s asshurt over it just enforces that.
>>
>>64571082

>Rey: flees from her Jedi heritage, only wants to go back home; accepts there's nothing for her on Jakku, moves forward with Jedi training.

>Finn: Refuses to kill in cold blood, is terrified of First Order; finally fights FO when his first real friend is captured.

Also there's a difference between killing trained soldiers who are trying to kill you, and killing a village of (mostly) innocent, unarmed people.

I'm sorry you're only able to repeat /tv/ memes and can't think for yourself for one god damned minuted.
>>
>>64571051
guys that went to the first screenings of Episode 1
>Massive uber nerds

guys that went to the first screenings of TFA
>Fucking Normies
Search your feelings, you know this to be true.
>>
File: 1378438751972.jpg (9 KB, 252x244) Image search: [Google]
1378438751972.jpg
9 KB, 252x244
The fact that /tv/ and George Lucas both hate it should tell you it's at least a passably enjoyable movie,
>>
It's decent, worth a watch
>>
>>64570696
This is wrong, it should say

>if you're a tasteless faggot, you'll enjoy this movie
>>
>>64571283

/tv/ has gone off the rails a bit lately. People are unironically defending the ridiculous six today.
>>
>>64570496
Why don't you see it and form your own opinion, parrot?
>>
>>64571270

Star Wars was always for "normies," you fucking idiot. It didn't become one of the world's largest entertainment brands because it was only consumed by nerds. Also "massive uber nerds" = uncritical neckbeard fanboys who will like and buy anything based on hype.
>>
File: star wars.jpg (73 KB, 500x363) Image search: [Google]
star wars.jpg
73 KB, 500x363
>>64570496
>>
>>64570496
its just episode 4 with new characters
>>
>>64570696
this

all my normie friends who enjoyed the movie tried to watch the OT but dropped it because they thought that it is "too slow and dated"
>>
>>64570496
Han Solo dies by the hand of his son, Ben Solo, aka Kylo Ren.
>>
>>64571388
>Star Wars was always for "normies,"
so I keep hearing repeated over and over again ad nauseum despite all proof to the contrary.

During the EU years it was a nerd only thing, then it hyped for a while, then it became a nerd and manchild only thing.

but I think here's the key difference.

When it comes to watching the movies it's a normie thing, when it comes to everything else, like talking about it on an image board, it's a nerd thing.

Normie's don't give a fuck about SW, it's just another movie, that's why they're normies. To us it isn't and we're who matter so it's a nerd thing. Also he wasn't wrong in what he said that's actually what happened, opening of Ep.1 was so full of nerd the theatre reeked of cheap toy lightsaber plastic.
>>
File: fghjkl.jpg (69 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
fghjkl.jpg
69 KB, 500x500
>>64571339

And the prequels. As soon as this movie came out the prequel apologists really crawled out of the woodwork.

I hate this place, but I'm stuck here.
>>
>>64570496
he has to kill han solo or nuke boston
>>
>>64571557
>Normie's don't give a fuck about SW, it's just another movie, that's why they're normies.
truth
>>
>>64571557

This is autism.
>>
>>64571242

This legit bugged me, though. This guy (Finn) was literally raised with these stormtroopers as the only family he ever knew, and he doesn't even fucking hesitate to start blasting them to pieces when he decides he wants out. Aren't they the only friends he's ever known?
>>
The Phantom Menace is mechanically a better movie

It has a greater variety of setting and sense of fulfilling adventure to the characters' planet hopping journeys

It has a set of distinct character that represent effectively their respective factions, desires and limitations

It does not require any cognitive dissonance as the viewer completely understands why each character is present, what they ultimately want, and their connection to what is at stake in the overarching conflict

TFa is a 7/10
>>
>>64571606
you fuck
>>
>>64571557
>>64571640
this is truth, buttblasted redditor
>>
IT'S STAR WARS FOR NORMIES
>>
>>64571691
If you remove Gungans and some bad acting from Lloyd and Portman TPM would be a good stand alone movie. Its biggest problems come from the context of the trilogy
>>
>>64571640
Maybe, but I'm not wrong

For all practical internet related issues it's a nerd thing.
>>
>>64571242
the villagers were armed with military weapons and trained
>>
>>64571738
Stfu you redditingcu.ck
>>
File: eh.jpg (141 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
eh.jpg
141 KB, 1366x768
It was alright I guess
>>
>>64571691
After watching TFA and being disappointed I decided to watch Phantom Menace again for the first time in years.

IMO the only real things that make Phantom Menace shit were 1) Jar Jar 2) Gungans 3) Anikin's shitty child actor. Take those out and the movie would be great. Even the shitty CGI is acceptable to a point.

My dislike for TFA is much more complicated. Plot holes, reused story lines/plots, bad writing, lack of depth, etc. Not an awful movie but more of a 6/10 for me.
>>
>>64571242
Those stormtroopers were the only people he had ever known and he starts blasting them without conscience and then yelling "DID YOU SEE THAT DID YOU SEE THAT" after escaping and murdering a hundred of them. A simple shot of him hesitating and only firing back from the TIE fighter when it's obvious it's either kill or be killer would do wonders for the character's depth
>>
It's really, really, really, fun.
>>
>>64571889
That movie established midi-chlorians and is unforgivably bad. Padme is a shit character and I'm glad Vader killed her.
>>
>>64571750
I though Portman was great in TPM. She got so bad in the other two though.

The worst acting was that shitty kid actor
>>
>>64571567
We hate you too, anon. Glad you're here.
>>
>>64571938
There's literally nothing wrong with midi-chlorians
>>
>>64571889
I went through the series too after TFA, you're going to hate AotC

By the time they got to Geonosis I had my head buried in my hands and I was begging for the movie to just end already. People give TPM shit but holy fuck is AotC horrific.
>>
>>64570696
This, that's why there's faggots on /tv/ rating this movie over the OT.
>>
>>64571971
There's plenty wrong with explaining in detail how the force works. It takes away from mystical nature. He could have just left it a footnote in some journal and most people would have liked those movies more. I glad the top Jews told him to keep them out of the OT. He had to wait until he was surrounded by yes men to mention them.
>>
>>64571218
>2-hour generic Disney action movie with elements from a 40-year-old neckbeard classic

Yeah, really great man. If you're a video game enthusiast.
>>
>>64571993
My thoughts exactly. TPM is flawed but enjoyable, AotC is horrendous outside from a few Obi Wan scenes and the arena scene with Clones saving the day
>>
>>64571971

It takes the magic and mystery of the Force and tries to legitimize it as science. Unnecessary and dumb.
>>
>>64572024
>>64572053
But midi-chlorians don't explain how the Force works. They're just Force sensitive micro organisms that are attracted to people strong in the Force.

It'd definitely be better not to introduce them but I feel like they've gotten way too much shit
>>
>>64572041
The arena scene is where I had my head buried in my hands. The 2 hours of garbage crushed my spirit and made it so I couldn't enjoy the best thing in the film.
>>
File: starkillercrop.0.0.jpg (98 KB, 1280x854) Image search: [Google]
starkillercrop.0.0.jpg
98 KB, 1280x854
>Hey guys, let's build a third Death Star
>>
File: Untitled.png (222 KB, 1378x662) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
222 KB, 1378x662
>>64571557
bro my 53year old parents are as normie as it gets and they went to see the original like every one else did in 77

stop pretending that everyone didnt like star wars from the first movie

did it spawn nerds ? yes but you dont own it normies made star wars what it is

not the small tiny minority of faggots who dress up like storm troopers and have jedi weddings

>Star Wars was released theatrically in the United States on May 25, 1977. It earned $461 million in the US and $314 million overseas, totaling $775 million. It surpassed Jaws (1975) to become the highest-grossing film of all time; its gross was later surpassed by that of E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982).

star wars is as normie as jaws and fucking et
>>
>>64572146
>wants to be more powerful than Darth Vader
>build a bigger badder Death Star

While I hate that they recycled the concept for a third time I actually think it fits if it was Kylo's idea.
>>
>>64572146
If some Imperial remnants in the ass end of nowhere could build Death Star 3.0, why couldn't the rebel alliance just build their own death star in the OT?
>>
>>64570496
Mediocre movie, not Star Wars at all. If you go in wanting to see Star Wars, you'll hate it. If you go in just expecting to see whatever, you may find it enjoyable.
>>
File: star_worse_a_not-so-new_hopeless.png (1021 KB, 1115x1380) Image search: [Google]
star_worse_a_not-so-new_hopeless.png
1021 KB, 1115x1380
>>64570496
http://whatculture.com/film/12-reasons-star-wars-the-force-awakens-is-a-disappointment.php

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/seth-abramson/40-unforgivable-plot-holes-in-star-wars-the-force-awakens_b_8850324.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNAy7yCMyBw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8hQVlRgFlU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDjXJqdXD-I&feature=youtu.be&t=39m26s
>>
>>64572041
Arena scene was great. The moment when Anakin and Padme kiss before entering the arena with Across the Stars playing is the only moment in the entire trilogy when their love seems believable
>>
>>64571890
>alright John we want you to be a little hesitant h-
>GET SOME
>GET SOME
>you're returning fire on the TIE pilot now...
>BOOYA
>>
>>64571429
>Anime
I'm pretty sure everyone in this thread will take you seriously, anon.
>>
>>64571567
That didn't really happen. A bunch of people, including me, thought that the prequels sucked but hated this as much if not more. Then a few people jumped on to try and turn enjoying the prequels into a meme and just spam about how good they are. There's still very few actual people who thought the prequels were good.
>>
>>64572024
>>64572053
>muh MYSTICISM

jesus fuck
>>
>>64572146
>>64572207

Here's what I don't get. The weapon was built on and in a planet. To fire the weapon meant destroying the star that was undoubtedly supplying said planet's orbit. Two options:

a) every time you fire this thing you have to build a new one near a different star

b) they are able and willing to pilot an entire planet as if it were a spaceship

Thoughts?
>>
>>64571470
You should get new friends. Empire Strikes back IS a modern movie.

I think the plot holes and lack of direction for today's movies are being covered up by fast editing, meme dialogue, and special effects. If you make a bunch of scenes that look like Guardians of the Galaxy, it doesnt matter to a common person if the story makes sense. I don't know how its possible to empathize with the characters on any level the way they are making movies right now. It is getting really sad. Nobody will care about TFA next year, just like nobody is talking about marvel shit a couple months after release.
>>
>>64572419
The pace of TFA is my biggest problem with it, it felt more like a Marvel movie with Star Wars characters
>>
>>64572257
I'd say TPM was consistently below average. It's kind of fun, not terrible, but the whole thing is more or less at a constant level. I actually quite liked AOTC at times, but a lot of it is total shit. The highs shine a lot more than TPM but the lows are pretty fucking low and there's a lot of them.
>>
>>64572417
I think the base can move around like the Death Star. I think it's dumb because destroying a star is just as good as blowing up a planet. I'd be more efficient by destroying a republic system's star and then firing that energy at another system. Same old stupid empire.
>>
>>64571664
Why would he have raised a family or made some relationships with other Stormtroopers? Not everyone is like the pair of Stormtroopers who are talking about T-17s in the tractor beam room scene in "Star Wars", or the pair of Stormtroopers who were talkig about T-47s or whatever in the scene of Rey trying to escape Starkiller Base in "The Force Awakens"

Yes, they copied the T-17 line. I catched it on my first and only viewing.
>>
>>64572470
TPM could have easily had one of the best moment in the entire PT in the Maul duel (and that's how I remembered it) but on a rewatch it's completely ruined by constantly cutting back to Jar Jar stumbling around on the battlefield and "I'll try spinning, that's a good trick"
>>
>>64572500
>I'd be more efficient by destroying a republic system's star and then firing that energy at another system
Jesus I hadn't even thought of this. Even the name is fucking "Starkiller" as though that's the main function.
>>
>>64572592
The final battle of VI is the same. The bits on Endor's moon really detract from the GOAT space battle and duel imo.
>>
>>64572592
I kept saying "I should just skip these scenes" every time Anakin and Jar Jar showed up during the finale. I was just annoyed every time they showed up because I was actually enjoying the movie.
>>
File: arles-caesar.jpg (76 KB, 328x345) Image search: [Google]
arles-caesar.jpg
76 KB, 328x345
>>64571557
See fucking this>>64572200

There is a ton of Stars Wars fans who only ever cared about the movies.
You don't fucking own shit autist.
People that weren't complete beta neck beards could see that 99% of the EU was fucking garbage and ignored it.
You don't get to tell me shit about being "not le ebin tru fan" because I decided to not subject myself to the novels of a bunch of hacks and literally who's
>>
>>64572573

He says that he was taken from his family and raised as a stormtrooper. He doesn't even have a name outside of his serial number. The people he starts killing immediately are functionally the only family and friends he's known since he was a child too young to even remember his birth parents. Being a stormtrooper doesn't make you a robot, we see other pairs of troopers being buddy-buddy throughout the whole movie.
>>
>>64572641
That's a problem TFA has too.

Star Wars
>Yavin IV space battle

The Empire Strikes Back
>Escape from Bespin
>Luke's duel with Vader

Return of the Jedi
>Sabotage of the shield generator
>Endor's space battle
>Luke confronting Vader and the Emperor

The Phantom Menace
>Duel between Darth Maul and Qui-Gon & Obi-Wan
>Space battle at Naboo
>Ground battle near Naboo's capital
>Padme's infiltration of the government buildings

The Force Awakens
>The Resistance's attack of Starkiller
>Sabotaging the Starkiller
>Bringing back Ben Solo
>Rescuing Rey
>>
>>64572813
Is that you Mike you cheeky cunt?
>>
It feels like Disney was terrified of making anything like the prequels so they made a watered-down imitation of a new hope.
"The prequels too serious so there's going to be a ton of goofy millenial comic relief"
"the prequels didn't have realistic/believable sets so the original jedi temple is going to be a stack of rocks"
"people liked the death star so we're going to do another death star"

black stormtrooper is cooler than expected tho
>>
>>64572688
That he didn't even have an actual name suggest Stormtroopers didin't really care about social meetings and relationships. They were trained and instructed for battles and security, not for buddying.

That's why Finn accepted having a name which was based on his designated ID, or why he took Poe's jacket, or why was he interested on Rey, or why he delivered his "I'm in charge" line to Phasma. He was finally an actual person, with feelings and emotions.

You can argue the movie didn't do a good job at this, but I found this idea far more succesfully developed and expressed than some of the other ideas, such as the First Order being formed by young space neo-nazis who are fond of the Empire (a dictatorial government mostly run by old, competent officers) and therefore too passionate and manipulable.
>>
>>64572656
except we can. you are bandwagoning scum. get fucked.
>>
>>64572419
Honestly, this is true. A problem with rebooting Star Wars is for people to say it's as good as the old trilogy requires the movie to actually be better than the old trilogy. Which it almost is
>>
>>64573030

You're making good points, I just find it hard to believe that someone who has too much of a conscience to kill villagers he's never met would be cool with killing a bunch of the only people he's ever known. Without even the tiniest hesitation or regret.
>>
>>64572861
The Star War franchise always had a problem of things running too fast, giving too on screen time for digesting some events.

In SW77, for example, there's no real gravity in the destruction of Alderaan. And Luke's lament of Obi-Wan's death only lasts a few seconds before the movie set up a dogfight between the Falcon and four TIE Fighters.

But at least, both in SW and ESB, you have some scenes of low intensity action, such as Obi-Wan's hut or Dagobah.

It's in RotJ when too much stuff starts happening but our commitment to the characters and overall conflicts are much lower than ever. And it has only become worse since.
>>
>>64573120
are you saying TFA is almost better than the OT
>>
>>64573204
Yeah. I'm really not awed by the original trilogy. I definitely think episode IV is better than TFA, but it's not far off from the quality level of the other two. It's a lot more hollow though, and clunky. I'm confident the next two will be pretty good though, as well as less derivative.
>>
>>64570496
Rey is Obi Wan's granddaughter
Kylo Ren is actually Ben Solo and Han and Leia's son
>Han dies to his 420DarkSide son
>>
>>64573324
hoo boy
>>
>>64570696
Confirmed by >>64573324
>>
>>64570696
My sister has horrible taste and has never seen Star Wars before. She said she was "obsessed" with ep VII before asking me if this was the same series as Yoda and if they will make more now.
>>
File: 1415469294060.jpg (71 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1415469294060.jpg
71 KB, 600x600
>>64570496
This is about it.
>>
>>64573122
In SW77 Luke barely knew Obi-Wan, and yet he accepted his explanations of the Force, the Jedis, the old Republic, and his father.

Before R2D2 played the whole hologram recording, or before the death of Beru and Owen, Luke didn't have good reasons to believe what cranky old Ben Kenobi says. Unlike Rey, who has always lived as a scanvenger in a desolated planet, and has heard of legends and stories of the Rebellion, Luke and the Millennium Falcon, Luke always had a peaceful life with his adopted family in a farm.

Yet the movie took its time and patience to explain to us Obi-Wan was an actual Jedi, and a good person.

In TFA, through, everything is rushed, so there's no time to digest anything. That's why you can't believe Finn would later try to kill his former work compannions.
>>
>>64572573
We saw him emotionally effected by the death of one of his comrades. When he sees the guy shot he comes to his side to see what he can do. Clearly it's meant to show that he cares about them.
>>
>>64570496
If you liked the avengers movies you will also like tfa.
>>
>>64573407
Hey now I like those films, I just liked them more when I was a kid. Now I just like a New Hope, and a few moments of the other films.
>>
>>64572024
Scientific study of anomalies always makes the phenomenon less "mystical", it made sense that an organization of Jedi Knights would have applied some study to the force the same way we study gravity and atoms etc. what WAS stupid about midi chlorians was obi-wan saying OMG THEYRE OFF THE CHARTS, NOT EVEN YODA HAS A COUNT THAT HIGH like they're talking about power levels from dbz
>>
>>64573532
If I were in a battle, I would care about the lifes of everyone on my side, regardless of whether I knew them or I would hate them had I met them in other circunstances.

We know Finm cares about people. He don't need to have already established relations with them. And he mostly kills for self-defense: his escape from the Star Destroyer, the chaos at Maz Kanada's castle, the infiltration of Starkiller, and so on.

We know innocent people were imprisonned on the first Death Star before Luke blowed it up. Nobody outside some EU stories cared about it.
>>
>>64572119
>but muh Plinkett review!
Not talking about you, good sir
>>
>>64571993
If Anakin had better lines and didn't come off as a desperate, clingy creep (get someone who hasn't gone through a divorce to write this shit for you George), it would have been a perfectly passable movie imo. Heavy on gratuitous action, missing some other things, but it would have been fine.

Fact is that going into this AoTC with Anakin jumping from a little kid to a hot adult is really freaking weird, especially to see Padme magically fall in love with him in a very short period of time. And they need to sell it because it's critically this relationship that causes Anakin to make his dramatic betrayal. Because it fails so spectacularly, it cripples RotS, which was otherwise fairly solid.
>>
>>64573806
Worse, Anakin's first appearance in AotC is in the elevator scene, where he is talking with Obi-Wan as goodfriends.exe, yet we never see thm acting as goodfriends.exe up until a very short scene in RotS right after crashing a capital ship on Coruscant.
>>
>>64573922
That's why Lucas had to create a six season cartoon to establish their relationship.
>>
>>64573976
If you need a six season series to establish a fondness between two characters, something the 1977 movie proved you could do it in a very easy and cheap way, you have very deep problems.
>>
>>64574072
Yeah, but at least the show has some arcs that are better than anything we see in the prequels.
>>
File: 1393737120592.gif (886 KB, 175x144) Image search: [Google]
1393737120592.gif
886 KB, 175x144
>>64571242
>>64571664
But he was affected. Like his friend dying in his arms and smearing blood on him is what broke him out of his conditioning...
>>
>>64573766
>And he mostly kills for self-defense: his escape from the Star Destroyer, the chaos at Maz Kanada's castle, the infiltration of Starkiller, and so on.

I can understand this, but it seems to me that he's far too enthusiastic about the whole thing. At least they do play up that he just wants to run for most of the movie, rather than having him want revenge or anything like that, but a guy who seems so opposed to killing and death really shouldn't be celebrating killing a bunch of people, even in self defense. It seems contradictory to me.

>
We know innocent people were imprisonned on the first Death Star before Luke blowed it up. Nobody outside some EU stories cared about it.

I think that saving all of the people on Yavin IV (and future planets that may have been blown up too) outweighs however many prisoners died on the Death Star by a pretty substantial amount.

Frankly, this whole thing with Finn would have worked just fine if the Stormtroopers remained volunteers like they were in the OT and the First Order weren't as blatantly Nazi-ish. Finn could have just signed up because order in the galaxy sounds good or whatever and he needed a job, then deserted when he found he didn't really have the stomach for that sort of work.
>>
>>64574147
The show is good, but it shouldn't be necessary. Having made a good show to make up for your flaws does not erase your flaws.
>>
>>64574072
That's largely the fault of the story structure to accommodate TPM. After rewatching it, Obi Wan and Anakin have literally 2 lines of dialogue between each other, the movie wastes 1/3 of trilogy's screentime and does literally nothing its with the most important relationship.

I feel that if Ep I was completely scrapped and replaced with a simple Anakin and Obi Wan buddy cop adventure with Padme in the background it would do wonders for the way we see AotC and RotS now
>>
>>64574147
Maybe, but I'm uninterested on it. Basically nothing the prequels established and/or consolided, from its main characters to its description of the Force, from the Jedi Order's structure and organization to the overemphasis on the Republic's politics, was interesting, so i'm not gonna waste my time on something i is based on products I despise, no matter how well polished the spinoff product treats its source material.

That's why I would love to an alternate sequels of ESB, because RotJ is too terrible for my tastes.
>>
>>64574181

Now, now, don't be telling lies. He refused to participate in the battle before his friend got shot. My guess is that he is Force sensitive, which protected his mind from the brainwashing when all the other troopers were at best peons and at worst true believers like TR-8R.
>>
>>64573922
>>64574072
Yeah, that was the second biggest issue with AoTC. Obi is supposed to be "a good friend", and Anakin regularly refers to him as a father, yet all we see the two of them do is argue. Anakin blames him for his problems and complains about being held back with Padme too. It just doesn't make sense. Lucas needed to establish their friendship first before showing some problems.

Their relationship could have been established in TPM instead if Anakin hadn't been an 8 year old kid, but oh well. The groundwork for the Padme-Anakin romance could have been set their too.

Shame, really, all of the settings, the sounds, droids and ships were exceedingly cool, and there was plenty of potential there.
>>
>>64573190
There's not time to digest the destruction of Alderaan, but it does have time for the characters to be built up, grow, and form relationships (that also grow). The Force Awakens really lacks that the strong characterization that SW77 and ESB have. As a result, it's hard to take Finn seriously when he talks about Rey being the "first one to look at him like that" because it feels like they just met moments ago. It's hard to take Han being impressed by Rey seriously because it feels like they just met and she hasn't done enough to earn his trust and respect. The most believable relationship in this film is between Han and Leia, but that's because of the old films.
>>
>>64574318
>He refused to participate in the battle before his friend got shot.
What? You can tell him from any of the other guys running around before blood gets smeared on his face. For all we know he could have been shooting people just fine up until then. It would have been odd if he couldn't bear to shoot at the people trying to kill him. After he seems to shocked to do anything.
>>
>>64571283
Fucking this. Thats all you need to know without getting into spoiler territory
>>
>>64574437
>The most believable relationship in this film is between Han and Leia, but that's because of the old films.
Of course, they seem to drop Han's death pretty quickly too. No funeral scene for him.

The bit where Rey is all shaken up by his death, and Leia comforts her rather than Chewie really bugged me.
>>
>>64574198
I only find him enthusiast when dealing with Phasma. However, we know Finn already knew her and her authoritarian behavior, so probably he interacted with her in a "take that!" moment.

Otherwise, Finn was mostly running away, and only becoming a little more brave and passionate the closer the movie was to the end credits.

But I understand your view. As I said, the movie never really develops any of its points in a satisfactory way. The space neo-nazis idea wuld have really worked have the movie treated the First Order as some sort of talentless, useless hacks that are easily dominted by actual competent people such as Snoke. Instead, we have Stormtroopers who are more fearful and competent than the old Stormtroopers, kids delivering Hitleresque speeches, and superweapons that renders the original Death Star completely outdated. It's all rushed, poorly conceived and over the top.
>>
dude they literally built a death star and it had a tunnel again and some x wings blew it up

the rebel fleet was literally x wings just showing up at the same weak spot and its gg
>>
>>64574470

I only saw it once a couple of weeks ago, I'll have to take your word for it on that. The fact remains, though, that he is one of very few, if any, other stormtrooper defectors. Why wouldn't there be more of them?
>>
>>64574378
They aren't best friends in AotC until the very end. They have a strained relationship up until the point where Anakin and Kenobi fight Dooku. This is a turning point in their friendship because it's the point where they realize they have to work together and rely on each other.

That's why, at the beginning of RotS, we see that they're best bros, working together and really in sync (there's even a deleted scene where they make gestures that only they understand).

It's a misunderstanding that AotC is meant to be the height of their friendship. RotS is the height of their friendship up until Anakin completely falls to the Dark Side.
>>
>>64574518
And then Leia, instead of going to see Luke, sends Rey off.

A huge theme of the film is "unearned." The relationships are unearned, Rey being a Force master and a lightsaber expert are unearned, the whole thing relies on nostalgia rather than earning its own place as a film, and it all stems from the fact that the people making this film didn't earn this franchise. They bought it off Lucas, who built it all from the bottom up (with help, of course).
>>
>>64574609
>They have a strained relationship up until the point where Anakin and Kenobi fight Dooku. This is a turning point in their friendship because it's the point where they realize they have to work together and rely on each other.
That's bullshit. There's not a single moment during the Dooku fight (or until the end of AotC) when they show it's a turning point. It's the same old shit with Obi Wan saying one thing (Anakin, attack slowly from the left) and Anakin being a hothead and doing the exact opposite. They don't fight him together and have no meaningful scene/dialogue between them after the fight that would establish any change in their relationship
>>
>>64574437
Exactly my point.
In SW77 Obi-Wan has more screen time with Luke that Han had with Rey. Obi-Wan could also interact with Luke in non-action scenes, whereas in TFA only the pre-battle Maz's castle is the only relatively long part where Han could do some parenting. Also, in Obi-Wan's death scene, the emphasis was on Luk, whereas in TFA is in Han and Ben.

In ESB you have Leia and Chewbacca giving Han and Luke for dead in Hoth. You also have Chewbacca going nuts and resisting handcuffs, and taking his time to relax and comply with Han's wishes, and even during the freezing he as mourning in lament. What does Chewbacca do in TFA? A growl, then he starts using his bowcaster as in a normal action scene. He didn't even meet Leia in the Resistance base.

SW77 treat characters' relationships and emotions as something worth having screen time. TFA does not.
>>
>>64574697
>they don't work together
>anakin gets btfo
>kenobi goes to save his friend
>kenobi gets btfo
>anakin goes to save his friend
>kenobi tosses him his lightsaber in a token effort to work together
>anakin gains the upperhand for a bit, but kenobi's lightsaber is eventually destroyed
>anakin gets btfo again
>yoda saves their butts
>next movie, they've learned from their mistake and clearly are working in sync and are much, much closer

These are not complex films. I can only assume you're purposefully getting them wrong so you can claim they're bad.
>>
File: 1402803579200.gif (3 MB, 353x209) Image search: [Google]
1402803579200.gif
3 MB, 353x209
>>64574437
>Alderaan never seen or mentioned again after a few minutes of dialogue
>Masterful work George what great impact

>Coruscant hub capital of the galaxy featuring throughout the prequels and expanded universe
>Destroyed in TFA no one mentions it
>>
>>64574895
No, you're just reading too much into a simple action scene. Anakin acts like a spoiled brat when the script demands it and like a total bro when the script demands it. None of this is set up in any meaningful way
>>
>>64574980
It's not even Coruscant, it's some other planet.

They do something a little different in that we see the people panicking right before it hits, but you're right: TFA also doesn't give you any time to digest the destruction of four or five planets, and the fact that so many people thought it was Coruscant shows that they don't even spend enough time to let you fully know what really happened.
>>
>>64574980
it wasn't coruscant, it was Hosnian Prime :^)

Welcome to the JJVerse. You'll like it here.
>>
>>64570496
Its a fun movie, OP. Much better than the prequels but not as good as Empire or Jedi.
>>
>>64575003
>they don't work together in aotc
>they get beat
>they work together in the next film so they don't get beat
That's not "reading into it." That's following what happens in the films.

I'm sorry you have problems following a child's space story.
>>
>>64574980
>>64575048
>2016
>not already knowing >>64575061
>>
>>64575113
I said "It's not even Coruscant" at the beginning of my reply.
>>
>>64575081
But they hardly work together in RotS either. When they face Dooku again, Obi Wan gets knocked out and Anakin single handedly wins the duel before saving Sheev and Obi Wan
>>
>>64574980
>Coruscant
Your average TFA fan, ladies and gentlemen
>>
the movie is garbage op. the prequels were better imo.
>>
>>64575219
why you so dumb bruh?
>>
>>64575187
They work together fighting their way through the ship, both in space and in the ship, and then again when they're escaping Grievous.

Even in the Dooku fight, they fight in sync against Dooku up until Kenobi is incapacitated, and Kenobi getting knocked out is what drives Anakin to defeat Dooku.
>>
File: 1344401956385.gif (330 KB, 271x256) Image search: [Google]
1344401956385.gif
330 KB, 271x256
>>64575061
>>64575048
>>64575213
>Coruscant historic home of the Galactic Senate
>TFA let's blow them up
>Actually that wasn't Coruscant but you'd only know that if you read Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
>We moved them to this new planet
>By voting
>That's totally a thing that happens right guys

Guess even JJ couldn't get the nod to blow up a planet that important.

I'll never forgive you for Vulcan you jew eyed fuck
>>
>>64574980
While I have never liked how SW77 forgot about Alderaan, at least it made more sense than in TFA.

In SW77, other than Princess Leia, the only people we know they knew about Alderaan were Luke, Han, Chewbacca and Obi-Wan. Han and Chewbacca were mere smugglers, they would barely care about a planet being blowed up. Ibi-Wan was a very patient, self-controlling Jedi, he wouldn't give all his emotions free run. Luke otherwise is caught with the Falcon being captured by the Death Star, and finding a way to save the Princess.

In TFA we see part of the Resistance watching the destruction of not-Coruscant in real time. Han seems to be the most affected, but other than that, they cared more about the inminent destruction of their planet than the Hosnian system.

Let's also not forget that the Resistance base could have avoided being targeted had they forgave the Falcon to fly towards their planet. That's the whole point why Han visited Maz, to ask for a safe way to deliver the droid to the Resistance. But I guess they needed to add some fake tension for the final 1/4 of the movie.
>>
>>64575352
*forbidden the Falcon
>>
>>64571429
>says that while posting ching chong cartoons

Get better taste, faggot.
>>
>>64575313
Did you see a random girl being given a little prominence in the shot before the destruction of not-Coruscant?

That was supposed to be a side character who talks to Leia in a deleted scene. The original cut of the movie lasted like 2 hours, 40 minutes, and included a few scenes of the new Senate and Leia warning everybody about the First Order.

But Jar Jar Abrans cut all of it.
>>
>>64575252
They don't "work together", they just happen to be in the same action scene that has them slashing through a hundred of non threatening droids. They do the same thing before the Dooku fight in AotC at the arena, so them getting BTFO by Dooku isn't some great epiphany for them

There is no cohesion to them working together or not. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't, it's never set up in any meaningful way.
>>
>>64575512
>Soon there will be multiple versions of TFA available each with different restored content and digital scenes

The cycle continues
>>
>>64575528
>They don't "work together"
They absolutely do. Rewatch the fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvTa1vxmY3M

They're right there together, fighting the dude together at the start of the fight. Then, when Kenobi is incapacitated, there's a closeup shot on Anakin's face, and you can see he's pissed that his best bud got knocked out. His friendship with Kenobi drives him to victory.

Compare that to the first fight, where Anakin just runs in on his own, and they aren't fighting together.

RotS is the height of their friendship, not AotC. AotC is (in part) them working out the problems within their friendship. What would lead you to think otherwise?
>>
File: Yowza_Jedi_Rocks.png (859 KB, 910x546) Image search: [Google]
Yowza_Jedi_Rocks.png
859 KB, 910x546
>>64575584
>>64575512
>Lucas will one day digitally remove all puppets and models from the new trilogy and replace them with CGI
>>
>>64575639
They fight Dooku together for 14 seconds, I counted it with a stopwatch, if that's your definition of working together then sure, but to me it seems like they just want Obi Wan out of the way quickly so they can focus on how much more powerful Anakin has become. They don't beat Dooku and save Palpatine by working together, they do it leaning almost entirely on Anakin's skill
>>
After watching the prequels again they honestly didn't seem as bad as I remembered. Maybe my expectations have dramatically lowered because of how garbage the film industry is currently.
As it stands;

V>IV>VI>III>I>TFA>II
>>
>>64575869
>watch the video
>they disrobe the same way at the same time
>"not in sync"
I'm so amused that you refuse to just accept that you're wrong about this despite being so easily debunked.

>14 seconds
I counted and he spends like four seconds fighting him alone up until Kenobi getting knocked out. You also purposefully left out parts where they're facing off.
>>
>>64575909
Literally my thoughts. I finished rewatching the prequels 15 minutes ago. After seeing TFA I thought it was way better than any prequel but now I'd easily take RotS over it and probably TPM as well
>>
>>64576028
>Hey guys, I guess during this fight we should show that Anakin and Obi Wan learned to fight together after getting their asses kicked by Dooku the last time
>Great idea, how do we go about it? Maybe we'll have them use real teamwork and synergy to succeed when they previously failed
>Nah, let's just have them disrobe at the same time, let Obi Wan get knocked out 10 seconds in and then have Anakin save the day. That will show how close they got
>Brilliant
>>
>>64576339
They do, but a good way to show characters learning to work together would be to have them try and beat the bad guy separately and fail (like they did in AotC) and then have the heroes face him again and win BECAUSE of working together. Anakin and Obi Wan don't win BECAUSE they worked together, they win because Anakin has grown much more powerful between AotC and RotS
>>
>>64576236
Actually, I'm going to delete what I said because it's clear you're just grasping for straws here.

To any other anons reading this, you can compare the fights yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvnwLLXHabg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYT3ctPuVRw

But, I mean, this really isn't that subtle. In the first one, they aren't working together. Kenobi plays boss and Anakin tries to save the day on his own. On the second one, they fight together as a team.

Nothing more I can say. The fights speak for themselves.
>>
>>64570496
It's Marvel Star Wars
>>
>>64576519
Do they win because they work together or do they win because Anakin has grown stronger?

Because they still don't achieve shit when fighting together in the RotS duel
>>
>>64575909
To be perfectly honest, I'd probably take II over VII, though I'm certainly not defending II. I agree with this order in every other way.
>>
>>64570703
Rey Finn and Poe v /pol/
>>
/tv/ is mad butthurt and Rey is full qt that everyone is crazy for
it is definitely worth a watch or two, or three op
>>
I'm convinced JJ Abrams is just a mediocre director, no matter what script you give him, he'll make it just bland
>>
>>64571691
>>64571889
At the very least, the prequels were ambitious.
But TFA? What do we see
>a desert planet
>a death star
>some planet with a cantina and a forest next to it
>a planet that is home to a jedi master in exile
>>
>>64576566
They don't need to win together to have worked together.

Also, again, Anakin wins because he's driven by anger/concern for his best friend getting crushed. More signs of it being the height of their friendship.

Here's more of them working together:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqgphpiO0L8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO2y7nhwcds (this video has a great example right at the start, where they're swinging their lightsabers synchronized at around 0:16/0:17)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0zj3Ap74Vw

Oh, and it's only through their teamwork that they manage to land the ship and save everyone including themselves (couldn't find the whole clip, though).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0zj3Ap74Vw

They've clearly grown since the second film and now work together, dude. Again, not much more I can say, just watch the videos.
>>
>>64576859
he made a new new star wars movie enjoyable for 13yo, 23yo, and 43yo, so i don't know about bland
>>
>>64576916
Oops, linked the "happy landing" one twice, and the second one shows them working together to land the ship (I didn't think it did for some reason).
>>
>>64573568
I watched GoTG, Iron Man movies, Avengers, Capn. America
These were actually fun an had an interesting world in them
TFA is an abomination
>>
>>64576933
aside from making the main villain a pathetic Darth Vader fanboy, TFA doesn't do much new, especially when you watch some Marvel movies disney has made
>>
>>64576916
You'd be correct if they didn't work together in AotC.

They worked together during the Coruscant chase and then again during the arena battle. So out of 3 action sequences they shared in AotC they worked together in 2 of them. The AotC Dooku fight is never shown to be a demarcation point after which they start to work together, because they did it before that as well and done so successfully
>>
>>64577071
They don't work together during the Coruscant chase or the arena fight.

During the arena fight, they're entirely separated. Kenobi and Anakin fight separate monsters. They beat their monster separately (using completely different tactics) then join together briefly before separating to fight droids on different parts of the battlefield. Anakin is with Padme more than he is Kenobi.

During the Coruscant chase, Anakin is constantly doing shit that Kenobi tells him not to do, so much that Kenobi stops him and scolds him.

You're arguing a losing battle here, friend. Again, the scenes themselves prove you wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmR1ee223zQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdSUKIFnYc8
>>
>>64570496
>"TFA will be shit! Fucking Jew Jew Abrams, fucking nigger main character, fucking SJWs! People won't accept this! It will be worse than the prequels and a total flop!"
>Trailer drops. Record pre-sales, screenings booked out months in advance. Hype incredibly high.
>"I-i-t'll still be a flop! Guaranteed to be shit! Phantom Menace sold well too before people realised it was shit! N-nigger character!"
>TFA releases. 5 star reviews, record opening day. People love based Johnny B's performance, and he's very well received.
>"o-ok it might not be as bad as we thought, but it's still not going to beat Jurassic World! Disney are finished!"
>Beats Jurassic World, despite being released in off-season and no Chinese release.
>"J-just wait until based RLM eviscerates it for being A New Hope ripoff in a Mr Plinkett review! You'll f-fucking see then Starfags!"
>Mike loves it. RLM approve and think it has saved the Star Wars franchise from the prequels.
>"FUCKING SHIT FILM, MARY SUE JEW SHIT. PREQUEL LOVE THREAD. WHO FUCKING LOVES ATTACK OF THE CLONES? I DO. REVENGE OF THE SITH WAS BETTER THAN ROTJ. BASED GEORGE LUCAS. WELL AT LEAST TFA WON'T BEAT AVATAR, I FUCKING SWEAR TO GOD PLEASE."

This is pretty much how it went.
>>
>>64572252
Why does Lucas get so butthurt? Pretty much every bad decision in the star wars franchise came from him.

He takes undue credit, then when people call him on his bullshit he acts like a kid with a skinned knee that everyone is teasing because he's crying.
Thread replies: 180
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.