[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong? 2.8 billion, and no franchise. No fanbase.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3
File: furries.jpg (38 KB, 468x299) Image search: [Google]
furries.jpg
38 KB, 468x299
What went wrong?

2.8 billion, and no franchise. No fanbase. Nada.

Fun director: James Cameron.
Creature design: Wayne Barlowe.

How could it be so culturally ephemeral?
>>
>>64557756
its tech was all that it had going for it +bh
>>
File: 1451743533238.jpg (44 KB, 630x619) Image search: [Google]
1451743533238.jpg
44 KB, 630x619
3D doubled ticket costs, it wasn't as popular as it seems
majority of fans were from the 2nd and 3rd world eg abatap
>>
>>64557756
Didn't stick around. In the franchise dominated flickscape, only sequels and spin offs can make it in the public memory. Stand alones have to be incredibly memorable and this one just wasn't. I liked it but only ever saw it three times (3D, 2D theater, DVD) to gauge how good it really was. Nothing really memorable. Yeah, bitch about quips all day but a memorable line keeps people talking.
>>
>>64557756
>no franchise
You say that like it's a bad thing.
>>
because avatar was preaching the path of evolutionary retreat

people like to think evolutionary progress will result in anything besides extinction, thus avatar had no legs
>>
I see the conversation around Avatar to be similar to something like Blade Runner.

Both hard sci-fi that didn't really spawn "toys" or "comic-con hype" the way that things like Star Wars or Marvel did. Seems like they were catering more to big ideas rather than turning into franchises and selling toys
>>
there's going to be 3 more avatars you massive fucking plebs.
>>
>>64558164
But everyone quotes Blade Runner, Roy Batty's birthday is this Friday, and it's still watched more than 30 years later.

You'd be hard pressed to find Avatar on Netflix or cable.
>>
>>64558202
There's going to be 6+ more star wars.
>>
>>64558164
Avatar is the farthest thing from hard sci-fi.
>>
>>64558275
your point? these anons are speaking as if avatar is dead or some shit. i can't stand avatar myself, but it's going to be a franchise, and anybody who thought it wouldn't at least try after it's massive success are fucking stupid. it only takes so long because it's not just a movie you can just get actors for and play it out. it takes fucking years
>>
No memorable characters, quotes, music or locations.
Didn't see it in 3D and it was a shit movie.
>>
>>64558438
MAH JEEEKK was pretty memorable.
>>
>>64557756
It just wasn't memorable
Your main character? I don't even remember Jake's personality
The solider guy? Generic dumb and selfish soldier character that's in every movie
All the Na'avi- All the same generic native American stereotype characters

So what about character and creature design? Compared to the likes of Star Wars and Star Trek? Nothing. We have blue folks with braids, blue lions, blue pterodactyls, etc. All the aliens just seemed to be blue, scaly, versions of things one earth.

Planet design? Oh yeah, there's only one and it's a blue and glowier earth

Maybe it has some plot to compensate? OH WAIT IT IS THE SAME PLOTAS MANY OTHER MOVIES

THE ONLY THING IT HAS IS HOW TECHNICALLY IMPRESSIVE IT IS
THAT'S THE ONLY THING
>>
>>64557756
Well you're talking about it right now, so....
>>
No books/stories/word of a sequal afterward

i lost interest by summer of 2010. There is nothing to go off of except fanfiction garbage
>>
Extremely generic textbook-example script. It is just like a dozen other popular movies. Without the visuals, no one would even slightly remember it
>>
>no franchise

What's the problem again?
>>
>>64557756

Wait until the 3 sequels start coming out in quick succession. That's when this shit will ingrain itself in pop culture, assuming the sequels don't fail.

It needs more than one movie to build a lasting fanbase.
>>
Original came out in 2008, sequels coming out in 2017,2018,2019.
Had A New Hope come out in 2008 too, star wars would have completed the trilogy 2 years ago and cemented its fanbase.

Not only did they wait 9 years for the first sequel, triple the "normal" distance between franchise installments,
they are also going to give "watch fatigue" by pumping out the sequels in quick succession like marvel and hackson, starting next year, when they will have to fight episode VIII and at least 3 cape movies.
>>
Because it's just a fucking movie.
>>
"avatar was forgotten by all!"
>posted again
>maintaining consecutive days posted streak
>streak amounts to 7 years and running now

cognitive
dissonance
isn't
defused
in
this
way
>>
File: quaritch.jpg (264 KB, 1920x1092) Image search: [Google]
quaritch.jpg
264 KB, 1920x1092
>>64558256
The only popular quote I've ever seen from Avatar isn't even from the movie.

Quaritch was so damn based, but they killed him off so there's no reason to see the sequels.
>>
>>64560218
>autism

/tv/ isn't the world
>>
>>64558322
But that's wrong. It had a couple conceits, but even the space station was realistic. Cameron grants his movies a few coincidences or conceits but the rest stays hard sci fi.
>>
>>64560308
yes i am aware
and being a rare /tv/ poster who actually entertains reality from time to time, i am accutely aware of the fact that nobody has actually forgotten avatar
your consumerism has blinded you and all the star wars garbage being shoveled into your face isn't evidence that avatar is unremembered
>>
>>64560302
Watch him get resurrected by the tree :^) Avatar colonel
>>
>>64560024
Seriously I don't know why they think there's a market for 3 more Avatar, especially when they waited 9 years.
>>
Not enough memes

Not enough social media faggots sucking their cock like Star Wars

No Monday night football trailer

No old characters to bring back

Basically avatar didn't whore itself out enough
>>
>>64560218
/tv/ isn't the entire world. Ask some of your normie friends what do they remember about Avatar and 90% of them will just say something along the lines of "3D looked good"
>>
>>64560302
they should make avatar 2 where the humans exterminate all the blue fags
>>
>fanbase
why does a movie need a degenerate fanbase, has Citizen Kane a tumblr fanbase?
>>
>>64560431
>Not enough memes
>Not enough social media faggots sucking their cock like Star Wars
>No Monday night football trailer
>No old characters to bring back

So it wasnt as popular. "memes" and "sucking" as you so eloquently put it, are the result of something popular
>>
>>64557756
The only thing going for it was the effects.

Bland characters.
Bland plot.
Not even the creatures or the planet were that interesting.
>>
>>64557756
Thinly veiled hate-America agitprop. The Empire struck back.
>>
>>64558948

/thread
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.