[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Shining
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3
File: maxresdefault.jpg (124 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
124 KB, 1920x1080
What's your favorite theory about the movie?

Do you have a theory on what its about?
>>
>>64552821
Isn't there a sequel to this book?
>>
>>64552821
Anyone else find it amusing that Kubrick exclusively attracts conspiracy cucks, those who spend their lives looking for meaning and narratives that just don't exist?

No? Nevermind then.
>>
>>64553025
It's funny because that's a theory too.
>>
>>64552858
Kinda

Called Doctor Sleep. It goes into Danny's life when he's older
>>
>>64553025
I just think its fun, I'm not batshit insane I just like hearing about what people have come up with.
>>
>>64552821
The movie is as straightforward as it can be.

There's no room for silly, stupid theories. You people should knock that shit up.
>>
>>64552858

Theres a recent book about Danny Torrence, who becomes a burned out alcoholic using his gift to help the dead transition to the afterlife.

Its a good book, but people have a hard time accepting its not Shining 2: Back to Overlook
>>
>>64553119
This
It's not 2001, I thought it (TS) was pretty cut and dry.
>>
>>64553294
It's only either people that didn't pay attention or full-blown autists that come up with this shit.
>>
>>64552821
It's just 2deep4u bait. Any director can just put a bunch of random shit in a sequence and call it art, when they were just laughing their asses off at how people would waste decades looking for some kind of hidden "meaning" in their work.
>>
Watched a video a while ago about how the hotel seems to contradict itself in its layout, like doors where there shouldn't be, the map of the maze doesn't match what it looks like on the inside. Essentially the characters get lost/trapped by the hotel literally, mimicking Jack's mental/spiritual entrapment by the end. Does this ring a bell for anyone?
>>
>>64552821
Well the kid was definitely molested
>>
apollo 11 makes jack a dull goy
>>
>>64554136
Faggot
>>
Somebody post the theory about 2001, something about condoms, I can't remember but it was fascinating.
>>
>>64552821
It's about some spooky skeletons that harass a family in a hotel.

Of course the subtext for the entire movie is americans persecution of native americans and pedophilia.
>>
>>64553533
It's weird how pervasive this idea is.
Why do you think someone would do this?
You don't spend millions of dollars and years of work on a project just to laugh at people trying to understand it. I suppose some people might if they could, but certainly not every notable art film director, as people like you would have me believe.
>>
>>64554214
Neither could your parents.
>>
File: helicopter-shadow.jpg (163 KB, 680x478) Image search: [Google]
helicopter-shadow.jpg
163 KB, 680x478
What did Kubrick mean by this?
>>
What'll it be Mr. Torrance
>>
Just search johnny53 blogspot the shining.
He goes off the rails but there is some seriously interesting stuff on there.
>>
>>64554445

That's their shine
>>
>>64552821

they guy got cabin fever, thats it.

if something happens in real life, the simplest explanation is the right one. if it happens in a movie, the most absurd, unnecesarily twisted and ""smart"" one is. fucking hipsters.
>>
>>64552821
That "documentary" with the theories is awful.
>>
>>64553898
Rob Ager's videos. I buy into that theory because it's true the set has impossible windows/doors/stairwells, but whether that was intentional for messing with the audience subconciously is up for debate.
I just find it really hard to believe that Kubrick, John Alcott, and the production designer would put an impossible window in Ulman's office and not give a shit.
But I did just read "The Shining: Studies in the Horror Film" and not a single cast/crew member says that the spatial impossibilities were intentional.
>>
>>64554445
Slipped past because Kubrick cut it on the first Beta-Max editing system which wasn't full-frame.
>>
>>64552821

I just watched it the other night at a friend's house.

I was too drunk to make any theories, but I really enjoyed the parts where Jack was alone with the ghosts.
>>
>>64556061

I'm pretty obsessed with the ballroom and bar scenes, idk why

every time I get home drunk at like 4 AM I boot up that scene and laugh at it over one more drink
>>
>>64556108

I'd really like to see Jack interact with people in the bar during his drinking days. I bet he's a great drinking pal, just by the way he interacts with the bartender.

He seems like he's holding himself in any time he's around his family, which would be emotionally crippling to the kind of person I think he may be.
>>
>>64556108
Same. Love how Jack acts right at home with ghosts from 1921.
>>
>>64555938
It happens all the time, it's just the natural discrepancies that come from blending real world and constucted sets, this is the only flick that autists scrutinize for it, because they're so insistent that it's something other than a silly screamfest.
>>
Well of course the whole Native Indian thing is the most logical "hidden meaning."

In my opinion, I think Kubrick heard the rumors that he directed the moon landing and decided to fuck with people.
>Danny's shirt and whatnot
>>
>>64556214
Watch the videos (if they're the ones I'm thinking of).

Kubrick had to have gone out of his way to make the sets like that.
>>
>>64556215
>Well of course the whole Native Indian thing is the most logical "hidden meaning."

This. I don't get why Room 237 seems to portray that one guy as crazy like the others, he makes some good points.

As an aside, what a shitty documentary that was. A genuine analysis with a mix of plausible and wild theories would be GOAT, instead they went for "lol laugh at these overanalytic freaks".
>>
>>64555938

I don't think it's unintentional, the thing with the ball being rolled across the carpet and then the carpet changing is not a mistake.
>>
>>64556422
>GUIZE KUBRICK'S FACE IS IN THE CLOUDS
That's when I started skipping huge chunks.
>>
>>64556347
I've watched them. I've also worked in set design for 15 years. Which do you think it's more likely: that none of the hundreds of crew ever noted Kubrick obsessing over architectural geography and it took some Canadian basement dweller to figure it out 40 years later, or Kubrick put in a window because he needed a fucking window.
>>
File: kubrick.jpg (174 KB, 1447x1521) Image search: [Google]
kubrick.jpg
174 KB, 1447x1521
you only had to listen
>>
>>64556630
2001 doesn't look nearly as convincing as people make it out to be.
>>
>>64556630
>they killed an aging septuagenarian who worked himself to death over his pretentious art flick

nah
>>
>>64556607
I haven't seen the film for years, but wasn't them walking past the corridor and into the room all one shot?

It's so obvious. Not even "Kubrick was a master of detail" obvious. I noticed it the second time I watched the film, before seeing any of these videos.

I don't think there's more to the positioning and layout than Kubrick messing with people, but I think it was definitely on purpose. It wasn't just to have a window or he'd have organized the sets so there could be a window, and it wasn't an oversight because it's so noticeable.
>>
>>64554445
Kubrick didn't film this scene; he was too scared of flying
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.