[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Empire Strikes Back is not the best Star Wars film. It has
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: the-empire-strikes-back5.jpg (86 KB, 660x272) Image search: [Google]
the-empire-strikes-back5.jpg
86 KB, 660x272
The Empire Strikes Back is not the best Star Wars film. It has a slow start that picks up at the Hoth battle, but then drags until Luke finally confronts Vader. Sure, there's some neat stuff with Yoda sprinkled in the middle, but the vast majority of the film is absolutely boring.

Not only will it put you to sleep, but the film ends with a fucking cliffhanger, so it doesn't even work as a stand-alone film, and just leaves you feeling like they didn't finish the fucking thing (because they really didn't).

The idea that Empire is the best is a dumb contrarian idea the Kevin Smith put into Clerks. Before that, it was considered the worst within the series (but still a good film with good bits, just not as good as the original or even Jedi). Ever since then, idiots who think they're smarter than they really are have been giving the film sumptuous blowjobs, but all saying "Empire is the best" does is lets everyone know you're a dumbass with a cock in your mouth parroting what you've been told is correct by other idiots.
>>
>>>/http/www.reddit.com/r/movies
>>
>>64503008
Yes, Empire-lovers should go there and be with their own kind.
>>
>>64502975
just go
>>
>>64502975

So what is the best?
>>
> the film ends with a fucking cliffhanger, so it doesn't even work as a stand-alone film

This is a valid point, and the only reason I could understand someone might put ep4 above 5. But the rest of your post is bullshit desu senpai.
>>
>>64502975
I liked empire best when I was like, five, which was probably a good 15-20 years before you and 90% of Reddit were even born. Now fuck off.
>>
>>64503146

Which one do you like best now?
>>
>>64503146
>I had shit tastes when I was 5
Hopefully you got better.
>>
>>64502975
>Watch star wars is a kid
>ROTJ is my favorite

>Watch star wars as an adult
>Star Wars is my favorite, ESB felt meh, ROTJ is shit

>Watch star wars as an adult again because why not
>ESB is a sexy masterpiece with insane levels of craftsmanship and the sensation of "being there".

Keep watching OP
>>
>>64503254

So much fedora is so small a post
>>
>>64503254
How old are you?
>>
>>64503278
January 5th
>>
>>64503254
I actually liked Empire for the longest time, but after watching it recently with a friend, all its flaws became just so obvious to me. It's still a good film, but Star Wars '77 is superior to it.
>>
>>64503311
Empire has the problem of being part 1 to a duology without the other half. All the plot points and dramatic elements they arranged are dropped in ROTJ because george wanted to fuck it and make an action movie like raiders.

So yes, the movie is "boring". It really is just luke training and everyone else evading the empire until the finale, no characters are working against the problem in a satisfying way, well, except the empire. Then when it finally delivers what we want, it ends in defeat and then a cliff hanger. I could see why anyone who say empire in theaters and waited for 3 years would never forgive it.

But as a middle act, it's perfect. It's quiet, slow, and most of the time is spent on characterization. It's also elevated for the medium and is very well made to the point that it will never be repeated.
>>
>>64503478
Except Star Wars '77 showed that you can do characterization and also have other things going on.

They spend all that time on Han and Leia, yet you get so much more of their characters from just this one scene of Star Wars '77 than you did in the whole of Empire (and it's a whole lot more interesting).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtoHjGWc2s8
>>
File: 1345124525506.png (190 KB, 373x327) Image search: [Google]
1345124525506.png
190 KB, 373x327
>>64502975
>The idea that Empire is the best is a dumb contrarian idea the Kevin Smith put into Clerks. Before that, it was considered the worst within the series

1/10 KS reference is way too clumsy
>>
>>64504080
Randal Graves: Which did you like better? "Jedi" or "The Empire Strikes Back"?

Dante Hicks: "Empire".

Randal Graves: Blasphemy.

Dante Hicks: "Empire" had the better ending. I mean, Luke gets his hand cut off, finds out Vader's his father, Han gets frozen and taken away by Boba Fett. It ends on such a down note. I mean, that's what life is, a series of down endings. All "Jedi" had was a bunch of Muppets.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.