[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will Marvel ever be able to top it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 10
File: image.jpg (81 KB, 493x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
81 KB, 493x720
>>
File: 4572457.jpg (53 KB, 612x459) Image search: [Google]
4572457.jpg
53 KB, 612x459
yes
>>
Gee, an utterly derivative 7/10 action flick? Such a high bar
Robert Redford being there makes it a uhm 'political thriller' though. Woooo, how mature
>>
Ant man already did
>>
Civil War>>64444579
>>
>>64444789
I'd like to hope so

>>64444678
fuck off Bendydick you're going to tank the movie
>>
>>64445546
>I'd like to hope so

https://youtu.be/cBfs9H-MzCk?t=9m36s
>>
>>64444789
The trailer looks like it will have a lot of the fighting scenes like WS did, so it might
>>
This is one of the worst films I've ever seen.
>>
>>64444746
Jesus you sound like a faggot
>>
>>64445916
This meme director has a hot wife
>>
>>64444746
>uhm

Could you be any more gay
>>
>>64446463
Jesus you sound like a faggot
>>
>>64446395
care to elaborate?
>>
>>64444579
It was pretty shit desu
>>
They haven't topped their first film (Iron Man).

Winter Soldier is a close second though.
>>
>>64446830
It relies on me spending more than five hours of my life to understand what's going on (by seeing the other tie-in films) and for the twists to have any effect. Twists which are, by the movie's end, completely returned to the status quo; never for a second did I believe Samuel L Jackson had died, and having to wait through the confirmation was wasted sitting time, wasted listening. There are countless better movies out there, it's not tolerable for even a minute to go to waste, especially in a product. So it's a bad movie on its own right, but even worse when tied to seven other movies. This is unforgivable, to spend so many hours on something that neither informs nor challenges me in any way about anything, and that doesn't even entertain on a basic level. Because here's the clincher: the movie has no pacing, the story is carried by exposition after exposition, the action scenes have no weight. A kung-fu film is better mindless entertainment than migraine-inducing ADHD cuts of needlessly elaborate choreography amid CGI shrapnel-splosions. The 'originality' of this movie exists only in comparison to the other marvel movies, and exists only within its establishing acts, which are nothing but action scenes between exposition. The movie overall follows the same formula of every other Marvel movie: it ends in a hue spectacle of special effects.Every writing choice is so transparently in service of coming up with some way to get the characters from A to B, to get to a place where massive special effects can occur. And that's it. That is the only motivation in the entire movie, to get to the special effects. There is no one to connect to on a human level, because everyone is a chess piece who distracts from this fact by talking in sarcastic remarks (which will get the portion of the audience that exist only though snarky remarks to immediately identify). Winter Soldier is incompetent entertainment.
>>
>>64447573
>It relies on me spending more than five hours of my life to understand what's going on

why are you even watching it if you haven't seen the others

>Twists which are, by the movie's end, completely returned to the status quo
except not at all considering SHIELD stays imploded through the rest of Phase 2 and Hydra gains a presence

considering everything else in your post, it seems like you just fucking hate action movies
>>
The real question is if they can sink lower than IM2
>>
>>64448810
I did watch the other films, I never said in my post that I did not.

I love action films, so long as they're GOOD. The Marvel movies, especially Winter Soldier, are not those.
>>
>>64447573
REKT
>>
guardians of the galaxy is their best movie by far.
>>
>>64444775

This

Ant-Man is easily, effortlessly better. TWS is immensely overrated here.
>>
>>64449258
Yes. It was called Thor 2.
>>
>>64449258
IM3 is worse than 2.
>>
>>64449376
>>64449540

Agreed
>>
>>64444579
if he kills Iron Man if Civil War which he won't then that will top it.
>>
>>64449376

This. It's the only capeshit I tolerate.
>>
File: 1451440790260.jpg (437 KB, 1508x1493) Image search: [Google]
1451440790260.jpg
437 KB, 1508x1493
>>64449722
>>64449376
>>64449581
>>
>>64449916

>in a capeshit thread
>posting that

you're the real reddit here bud
>>
>>64444746
Is 7/10 considered bad on your scale? What's life like living as a retard?
>>
>>64449916
wow fagtron you sure convinced me with those hot opinions
>>
>>64447573
>It relies on me spending more than five hours of my life to understand what's going on (by seeing the other tie-in films) and for the twists to have any effect.
No, it actually doesn't.
In the first 20 minutes you're shown that Captain America is a super soldier that works with Black Widow for SHIELD doing somewhat shady missions for Nick Fury who, while keeping many secrets. tries to show he trusts Cap despite his philosophical differences with the agency. That's pretty much all you need for the 'good guys are really the bad guys' twist, Cap used to work for them. The Bucky stuff gets enough flashbacks to explain it all within this one movie.

That being said it is Captain America 2 so you probably should see the first one but even still this movie does a good job of catching you up.
>>
>>64450356
I need to see Avengers to know who Black Widow is, I need to see the first Captain America to care who he is, and I need to see the other Marvel films to feel fully the sense of shock and betrayal that the good guys were really bad. The movie is clearly playing on awareness of what came before. With having seen those films the movie was pointless to me, but it would have been especially pointless if I hadn't seen them, if in the same movie I was meant to have an organization established and upended, a childhood friend introduced and turned, and a hero comitted to something and forced to stray. It doesn't work on its own, because it doesn't do any of those things particularly well, in this one movie, to work as a movie divorced from a whole franchise.
>>
>>64444678
I honestly thought Age of Ultron was better than this.
>>
>>64444579
I realised a while back that I had been shitting on Marvel without actually having seen one of their movies in years so I watched the first Captain America just to see if I was being too harsh. Turned out I wasn't and it was a steaming pile of shit.

I see people praise this one though. Is it actually good or is it just less terrible than all the other capeshit? It's apparently "smart and political" but it's the sequel to a WW2 movie where they have cartoon lasers that turn people into dust like fallout so I don't know if I believe that
>>
>>64450878
>I need to see Avengers to know who Black Widow is
Wrong, her picking Cap up in the car and the mission on the boat tell you everything about her character that you need to know. She teases Cap and wants to get him a date. She's good at her spy job and works under Fury.

>I need to see the first Captain America to care who he is
The opening scene with Falcon running gives you the explanation that he's a soldier that was frozen and only recently woke up. That scene and the boat mission inform you all about his character and his proficiency at action stuff.

>I need to see the other Marvel films to feel fully the sense of shock and betrayal that the good guys were really bad
It'd certainly be enhaced but it's not required, you know they're the people Cap works for and that's all you need. It's not like the personification of the betrayal, the main STRIKE guy from the boat, was set up prior to this. Neither was the guy Fury took orders from.

>The movie is clearly playing on awareness of what came before.
Yeah, it's Captain America 2. The question is does TWS completely lack any set up? It sets up everything internally, from the conflict to the characters, so no.

>It doesn't work on its own, because it doesn't do any of those things particularly well, in this one movie
>With having seen those films the movie was pointless to me, but it would have been especially pointless if I hadn't seen them
Maybe it's the retarded way you type but I can't understand if you think this movie relies too much on the other movies or do they not contribute enough?
>>
>>64450878
>I need to see

Not really. All that other stuff is garnish. At best you should watch the first Cap since, you know, this is Cap 2 and all.
>>
File: 1440569859720.gif (384 KB, 250x188) Image search: [Google]
1440569859720.gif
384 KB, 250x188
>>64451283
>>64449505
>>64449413
>>64449376
>>64449505
>>64449540
>>64444789
>>64444775
>>64446977

The sign of a healthy franchise is many differing opinions on what's the best film in said franchise.
>>
>>64451291
>She teases Cap and wants to get him a date. She's good at her spy job and works under Fury.
So she's a non-character?
>That scene and the boat mission inform you all about his character and his proficiency at action stuff.
So it just tells me he's there to be 'the adversary'?
>It sets up everything internally, from the conflict to the characters, so no.
It sets up everything for an anti-climax, because this is a movie set in a multi-movie universe where the heroes need to show up for the next movie. Nothing 'internally set-up' pays off internally, at least not enough for a standalone film.
>Maybe it's the retarded way you type but I can't understand if you think this movie relies too much on the other movies or do they not contribute enough?
Good eye, yes, what I'm saying is it fails on both fronts.

Your entire post only illustrates how hollow this film is.

>>64451334
It was bad to me having seen the other films. If the other films don't affect it, then that means it's just a bad film.
>>
>>64451813
>It was bad to me having seen the other films. If the other films don't affect it, then that means it's just a bad film.

Ignoring the broken English here, again, not really. Not every film is going to directly tie into every other film. The main thing of concern is contradiction, and there weren't any.

That's if I'm even reading your broken English correctly.
>>
>>64451290
We do not like you here.
>>
>>64451543
Thank you for being reasonable, Dr. Light

I still fucking hate people who think GotG is anywhere near as good as Iron Man or Winter soldier though and I always will
>>
>>64449540
No it's not

say what you will about the plot, but we can agree that both plots were fucking stupid

Iron Man 3 has better action sequences

therefore Iron Man 3 wins
>>
>>64451283
this isn't out yet
>>
>>64452064

I think he meant to quote OP.
>>
>>64451979

I enjoyed GOTG just fine, but all I could think about while watching it was how much I wanted to watch The Fifth Element.
>>
>>64451940
Broken english isn't the same as grammatical errors. Can you point to exactly where I'm using incorrect grammar, and can you explain the grammar principle with the correct terms? Because your own sentences are pretty flabby: 'The main thing of concern'? Really?
>>
>>64451813
>So she's a non-character?
I only gave you her set up in the first two sequences of the film. Shes gets more characterization here than in IM2, probably as much as in Avengers. She's super spy with red in her ledger. Did you want me to write you an essay on her character? You aren't even really criticizing the character so much as how little I wrote about her. Fuck off.

>So it just tells me he's there to be 'the adversary'?
I was talking about Captain America like I said, who the fuck are you talking about?

>Nothing 'internally set-up' pays off internally, at least not enough for a standalone film.
SHIELD collapses and Bucky remembers who he is, those two arcs are resolved. Cap's morals also survive the day. Those are the resolutions. You aren't even trying.

>what I'm saying is it fails on both fronts.
So you admit to just contradicting yourself and you double down on it by saying that's your point? You point is that the movies rely too much and too little on other movies. Fucking idiot.

Your entire post only illustrates how hollow your head is.
>>
>>64445916

Gunn's closeup chewing shakycam face is hard to watch but worth it for his adorable and beautiful wife. Fair play to him for answering these awful questions but that woman needs worshiping.
>>
>>64452213

Stay o topic and present a compelling argument. Because so far you have none.

>Not every film is going to directly tie into every other film. The main point* of concern is contradiction, and there weren't any.

Do you have anything..... at all?
>>
>>64452241
What characterization does she get? If you're defending a film, I expect you to actually defend it. Boo hoo, I wanted you to write things, wah! Stop typing if you don't want to actually put detail to your opinions. I confused Cap with Bucky because the movie was forgettable. Also, if you can summarize what happens and the meaning of what happened, it's laughably clear how manufactured and simple those 'resolutions' were. Why are you happy swallowing such cheap, lazy meaning? This movie is a product, anything else it tries to do 'cinematically' is done with a half-heart. It doesn't have scenes, it has requisites.
>>
>>64452382
You're the one who brought up my typing, dude. And now you won't back up what you said because I realized you had no idea what you were saying.

The standard is that it doesn't contradict? Really? So there's no point for these movies to be connected to each other? Gee, I already knew that.
>>
>>64452482
>So there's no point for these movies to be connected to each other?

Civil War is literally the amalgamation of the 3rd acts of many Marvel films.

But keeping with the characters:

These characters and stories are in the same universe. That's it. Side characters may pop up in other movies but since it is not their movie they will not always receive huge character progression in a given film.

Having said that the method Marvel uses to construct their universe has produced some great character progression for what is essentially side characters who have no solo film.

In the case of BW in TWS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mESEFrhI9sQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THoVXV9TsIw

TWS did the best job of letting us in the mind of BW. Like AoU did for Hawkeye.
>>
>>64452392
I'm not even gonna respond, I just want other anons to read this and tell me if I'm insane or you are.
>>
>>64447573
>the action scenes have no weight
Bait desu
>>
>>64452064
This >>64452098, sorry!
>>
>>64453185
Really? Age of Ultron is a fucking mess but okay
>>
>>64453264
I didn't think it was a mess at all. It suffered from bad editing (most Marvel movies do) and some interference but I thought it was very well written.
>>
>>64452025
I agree. I don't understand how anyone would put IM2 over IM3. The action in IM3 was a lot more interesting, and a lot more action sequences were in it than IM2. If the plot of an action movie is terrible, the action sequences damn well better be decent, otherwise the movie would be a total miss.
>>
File: 1428652835520.gif (2 MB, 498x373) Image search: [Google]
1428652835520.gif
2 MB, 498x373
>>64452025
>>64453733

Iron Man 3 is the best Iron Man, better than Iron Man 1 (It's close).

The Iron Man trilogy is also better than Nolan's Batman trilogy.

Fight me.
>>
>>64453839
most trilogies are better than a trilogy that ends in TDKR
>>
>>64453839
Nolan's batman trilogy was one great movie, one okay movie, and one god-awful movie.

Ironman's trilogy was two good leaning to mediocre movies and one mediocre leaning towards good movie.

So... yea.
>>
File: 1451118709776.gif (972 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1451118709776.gif
972 KB, 500x281
>>64453839
You're my kind of scum.
>>
>>64444579
Of course they will, but it will be done by Cap 3 and then won't be topped again until Infinity Wars.

Ultron was okay, (slightly better than the Avengers) but was choppy plot wise. Trailer made Ultron seem like a great threat but in the end he was pretty tame.

Ant Man was good for what it was but it was no Winter Solider.
>>
>>64454993
>and then won't be topped again until Infinity Wars.

Don't sleep on Ryan Coogler directing Black Panther.

Though if the Civil War rumors are true I don't see how any phase 3 film could have the same emotional impact as Civil War except maybe Infinity War and its gauntlet shenanigans.
>>
>>64454934
wut
>>
>>64454808
TDK was more than just okay.
>>
>>64455825

Pretty sure he means Batman Begins is just okay.

Which is true.
>>
>>64452858

This!
>>
>>64455143
I've never read Black Panther, is the character actually interesting?
>>
>>64444746
Never fucking reply to me again unless you're contributing to the thread.
>>
They did iron man 3 made waay more money
>>
>>64457579
you're memeing wrong you fucking idiot, he didn't reply to you
>>
File: 2.png (136 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
2.png
136 KB, 300x300
>Will Marvel ever be able to top it?
well they took the directors from it and put them on the job for infinity war, which is the final boss of the series

that'll prob top it
>>
>>64444579
I would already put it at third behind Iron Man and Guardians.
>>
>>64458127
Why isn't bravo joss doing the big ones anymore
>>
Iron Man and Iron Man 3 still haven't been toppled so no.

They'll be close with Dr strange. Don't hate Capeshyt anymore considering starshit has took its place
>>
What happens when Infinity War part 2 comes out?

Will capeshit finally be over and done with forever?

Do they just reboot and we get new Iron Man, new Cap, new Hulk and run through this gauntlet all over again?
>>
>>64458768
>Do they just reboot and we get new Iron Man, new Cap, new Hulk and run through this gauntlet all over again?

My guess is Cap and Iron Man will be dead. Maybe Iron Man crippled or something.

Marvel will not reboot.
>>
>>64458853
So 40 fucking years from now it'll be the same MCU? Doubtful. They'll reboot at some point.
>>
>>64458688
the snake bit the farmer
>>
>>64458919
they've got plans past 2019
>>
File: 1438320649470.jpg (11 KB, 319x374) Image search: [Google]
1438320649470.jpg
11 KB, 319x374
>>64458919
>So 40 fucking years from now it'll be the same MCU?

If the MCU even makes it 40 years I could only imagine most characters would be new.

example: Ghost Rider, Blade and Ms Marvel are the big three.

I would imagine though if the MCU was still going 40 years from now the films would be more stand alone stories and not building up to anything, just stories told in a cinematic universe with 40+ years of history.

Would be pretty damn impressive.
>>
>>64459094
They can always just have new characters take up the mantle of Iron Man, Captain America, etc.

Tony Stark can pass on his legacy to his long lost son Tony Jr., etc.
>>
File: CIVILWARFANPOSTER.jpg (137 KB, 620x877) Image search: [Google]
CIVILWARFANPOSTER.jpg
137 KB, 620x877
James Gunn said Civil War one of, if not the best MCU movie. The only other MCU movie he actively praises is Iron-Man. He never once said Age of Qupitron was good.

I'm pretty hyped.

>>64459244
Fuck that. That's the laziest bullshit in comics because nobody wants to read about The Falcon so they "make Captain America Black" by giving him the mantle and to stir up controversy and shit.

There's hundreds of heroes. Just keep introducing new ones and replace the actors for the the popular ones as necessary.
>>
>>64459307
Never said I liked it, just saying that's an option. And I'm sure if this money train keeps chugging on long enough, it'll happen eventually.
>>
TWS because the fight scenes were 11/10

other than that I didnt even think it was that great, but the fights are good enough to make it one of my favorites
>>
>>64445916
>>64452365
>>64446497
wikipedia says he isn't married. Who is she?
>>
>>64459759

His sister.
>>
>>64459307
why are fanmade posters always so bad
>>
>>64459793

Yup
>>
>>64460503
ikr. why would it need to be advertised as "from the studio that brought you avengers age of ultron" when cap and iron man are on the poster?

and why would they be both facing to the side?

wouldn't they be staring each other down with spider-man in the middle?

and why did they use the bad spider-man?
>>
Can't pick a best. Like them all.
>>
>>64444678
THIS t b h f a m

Hope Benedict will deliver
>>
>>64464573

I'm sure he will.
>>
Winter shit better than IM1? Someone's downright stupid.
>>
File: ManofSteelFinalPoster.jpg (51 KB, 295x437) Image search: [Google]
ManofSteelFinalPoster.jpg
51 KB, 295x437
ofcourse not
MARVELFAGS BTFO
>>
I liked it until they went full "nazi put his brain in a computer". Would have been neat if they kept going with the moral ambiguity stuff rather than just giving more nazis to fight.
>>
>>64449540
Iron Man 3 was genuinely surprising, had a satisfying and wholly believable character arc for Tony, and showed that Guy Pearce can chew scenery with gusto.

Iron Man 2 had another villain in a suit, Sam Rockwell's underappreciated acting notwithstanding.
>>
>>64444579
Literally the worst MCU film after Hulk
Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.