[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did everything go so right?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 10
File: Fellowship.jpg (239 KB, 800x1180) Image search: [Google]
Fellowship.jpg
239 KB, 800x1180
How did everything go so right?
>>
>Fat peter jackson
>Crew and cast that loved what they were doing
>Had all the time in the world and freedom to do what Peter wanted
>Practical effects well done
>Best soundtrack ever
>Good story to base on
>Cast was spot on
The main core is here
>>
>>64441543
Pretty much this. Also Weta wasnt full retard back in the day.
>>
>>64441356
>First Hobbit was god tier
>dumbfucks hated it because it wasnt dark enough
>>
The difference between the LotR/Hobbit books/movies all comes down to filler.

The LotR movies took out all the filler from the books, so they came out better. The Hobbit movies added tons of filler in, so they came out worse.
>>
>>64441823
that wasn't the only difference
>worse soundtrack
>worse acting
>less variety/reason to care about the main characters
>two films too long
>no interesting subplots
>shoehorned romance/cringy "humor"
>bloom and CGI everywhere, looks dated even now
>>
>>64441642
The first hobbit film was so bad that I felt ripped off after I watched it on a fucking 14 hour flight to Iceland. Like, I was strapped into a fucking seat on an airplane for fourteen hours with nothing to do and I still felt that flick was a waste of my time.

Jesus those were bad movies, I would argue they were nearly as bad as the SW prequels.
>>
>>64441642
I like it. Of course me and everyone else put our expectations high and got a little disappointed but in general it was a solid 8/10.
I just disliked the excessive bloom and CGI of every soldier in the battle at moria and of course, all the orcs were CGI instead of using make-up and props that gave orcs in LOTR a lot more scary and intimidating look.
>>
>>64441356
cast was perfect. New Zeland was perfect. idk it was jsut perfect movie. Gimli beign comic relif was only minus.
>>
>>64441894
2/3 were bad. Give me reasons unrelated to CG as to why the first Hobbit was bad.
>>
>>64442016
no good scenes outside of the song the dwarves sing and the riddles in the dark scene. martin freeman is awful as bilbo. no sense in danger when we know bilbo lives. bad soundtrack. all dwarves act/look similar, no interesting characters aside from gandalf who's from LOTR anyway.
>>
>>64442016
the start of the first hobbit was comfy tier but it went downfall after that.

different guy
>>
>>64442079
>no sense in danger when we know bilbo lives
you could say the same about lotr you dumb faggot because the book was already written
>>
>>64441863

The soundtrack for the Hobbit movies is actually better than the LotR. It may not have as many themes you can hum but everything else is done so well that it's probably one of the most underrated movie tracks in recent memory
>>
>>64442093
Yeah, I was just rewatching it today and I forgot how great the first bits are. All the time spent in the Shire is top-tier, but by the time they get to the mountains fighting each other, it sucks my knucks.
>>
>it's a /tv/discusses reddit-tier children's movies thread
>>
other than the love story between frodo and sam being dragged out a little too much on that fucking mountain

i legitmately cry every time at the end of the rotk
>>
>>64441863
>>worse soundtrack
not really fair, LOTR is the best sound track of all time. Hobbit was still better than pretty much everything else.
>>
>>64442123
What if you haven't read it? I did, but most people I know didn't. A lot didn't even read the books after enjoying the movies.
>>
GOAT movie poster.
>>
>>64442308
>too much
http://youtu.be/BKIgv8AhffA
>>
>>64442258
>its a hipster trying to fit in by seeming more contrarion post
>>
>>64442529
It also keeps going on and on with the bread

it just keeps going on and on

maybe im just too much of a pleb to understand the deep complexities of their relationship
>>
>>64442176
what about the sequence in Bilbo's home introducing the Dwarves that lasted like 25 fucking minutes?
>>
>>64441356
>almost 15 years ago
Fuck.
>>
File: 1447790110512.jpg (111 KB, 768x576) Image search: [Google]
1447790110512.jpg
111 KB, 768x576
>>64441642
>First Hobbit was god tier

That's a bold claim, but Riddles in the Dark was really well done. 2 and 3 shit the bed but I don't think it was PJack's fault.
>>
Peter Jackon wanted to do them. It was a passion project. He never wanted to direct The Hobbit.
>>
Thorin kinda ruined the movie for me

was it that hard to make him look like an actual dwarf instead of a tiny man
>>
File: 1432078664969.jpg (68 KB, 612x587) Image search: [Google]
1432078664969.jpg
68 KB, 612x587
>tfw FotR is your favourite even though you know 2 and 3 are better

It's just so fucking comfy. I'm also always drawn to manlet races in fantasy for some reason.
>>
>>64441543
Indeed. Plus they actually paid attention to fan feedback which led to them avoiding doing stupid shit like having Aragorn fight Sauron.
>>
>>64441642
It was awful, anon. You have shit taste.
>>
>>64441910
In the behind the scenes you can see practical Goblin suits.
I guess they CGI'd over them in the movie.
>>
>>64442895
>even though you know 2 and 3 are better
what the fuck? no they're not. FOTR is the perfect adventure film. the only one that's equal is conan.
>>
>>64441543
>Had all the time in the world
Weren't they forced to shoot the entire trilogy in a year, and only after the success of the first one were they allowed to redo much of the following films which were, according to the crew and actors, a mess?
>>
>>64441543
you forgot
>3 years of preproduction
>>
>>64442529
>EgalmothOfGondolin01
>someone already had EgalmothOfGondolin
>>
>>64442895
but fellowship is the best one
>>
>>64443036
Nah it was always planned that way as far as I know. Principle photography lasted a year and then they went back in between releases for pickups and reshoots.
>>
>>64443009
The goofy wizard fight was kinda dumb

and Sean Bean being Sean Bean
>>
File: walkenburst.jpg (30 KB, 701x336) Image search: [Google]
walkenburst.jpg
30 KB, 701x336
>>64441894
>I was strapped into a fucking seat on an airplane for fourteen hours with nothing to do and I still felt that flick was a waste of my time.
>>
>>64443108
Sorry bro, the other anon is right. If you watch the Appendices of the films, the Two Towers and ROTK were absolute messes and had to be almost entirely re-shot after Fellowship came out and blew everyone away.
>>
>>64443115
sean bean was one of the best characters in the movie, because he struggles with the power of temptation from the ring, but he redeems himself at the end when he saves merry and pippin (for a bit anyway).
>>
>>64442693
>maybe im just too much of a pleb to understand the deep complexities of their relationship

They're best friends and blood brothers, what's not to understand?
>>
>>64443559
>45 minutes of screen time of them starring into each other's eyes with dirty faces on the side of a mountain
>>
>>64443630

What the fuck else would they stare at? You want them to converse while awkwardly looking down and their feet or at the side of the mountain?
>>
>>64442389
>LOTR is the best sound track of all time. Hobbit was still better than pretty much everything else.

Wow, and I thought Star Wars fans are lost in their own little world, kek
>>
>>64443700
Clearly there must be more to it when he spends time on it

I don't get it Anon
>>
>>64443630
That's called two friends desperately trying to find hope in the other person as they both struggle with climbing a mountain of fire, carrying the most powerfully evil object ever created, trying to save the entire world from being covered in darkness.
>>
>>64442389
Are you kidding? That first Hobbit movie literally used the Misty Mountains song in every scene. It was great the first few times, but the movie is several hours long!
>>
>>64443422
I mean it makes sense seeing as Fellowship was the first release. Naturally they'd focus on that one the most during principle photography. You guys are saying it was "a mess" as if they hadn't planned to shoot it as a trilogy but that was always the plan.
>>
File: jackson.webm (2 MB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
jackson.webm
2 MB, 854x480
hello darkness my old friend
>>
>>64441543
>Best soundtrack ever

I literally cannot fucking agree with this shit more. LOTR wasn't about the story, it was the fact that it drew us into the beauty and intricacy of the world.
>>
>>64444407
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZT41szriWQ
>>
>>64443923
No bro, they shot all 3 movies at once, but TT and ROTK were rushed and "a mess." Jackson and the heads called it "a mess," we're not just using that word carelessly. After the Fellowship blew open the box office, they realized there was a real chance of being able to release the other 2 movies, so they spent almost another year re-shooting and re-editing TT and ROTK.

And you can sort of tell this was the case just by watching them, since Fellowship is a better movie than the others, because the most amount of time and care went into it directly and originally. And Jackson added a lot of the goofiness in during the re-shoots, like Legolas killing the Oliphant, which he added because the audiences had a more enthusiastic response to the character than he anticipated.

But all this really isn't important, as the LOTR is an amazing trilogy that we've all watched a dozen times by now.
>>
>>64442895
>2 and 3 are better
u wot m8
>>
>>64444474
>because the audiences had a more enthusiastic response to the character than he anticipated

the ONLY REASON for this was m-m-muh Orlando Bloom
>>
>>64444662
I wonder if the reception would have been the same, if his hairs had been brown like in the books. He would have just been that third brown haired guy who uses a bow.
>>
>>64444662
To be fair, Orlando was dreamy as fuck back then.
>>
>>64441863
Honestly, the hobbit as two movies made sense to me. Three was over kill to the extreme.

Would have avoided the return on the king issue in that half the book was cut.
>>
File: 651.gif (268 KB, 288x216) Image search: [Google]
651.gif
268 KB, 288x216
>>64442142
>soundtrack for the hobbit is actually better
Ok m8, bring your best from the hobbit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNndi2VBaCc

Protip: You can't beat this one mate.
>>
they're taking the wobits to isengarde :D :D
>>
>>64444662
>>64444703
>>64444769
Just speaking of Orlando, it's crazy to think that Lord of the Rings was literally his first movie. Must have been an insane experience going from being fresh out of theater school, to being an international superstar within a couple years just from one role.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WymG1Y52CTE
>>
>>64444871
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im5CIpMFo4Q

I've listened to the OST and the Complete Recordings countless times over the past decades but this one stands out the most (to me).
>>
File: The Shire.jpg (48 KB, 851x355) Image search: [Google]
The Shire.jpg
48 KB, 851x355
>>64444871
There is nothing in The Hobbit that matches the music in LotR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pGaz_qN0cw
>>
>>64441356
Source material.
>>
>>64445093
I'm also constantly listening to the complete recordings, like it's everyday music. But the one that stands out the most is this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=616YMt6T5mA

And yes, Evenstar is fucking beautiful.
>>
>>64445121
but anon the lotr trilogy does things way differently than the source
>>
>>64445113
This song makes me happy all the time. Outstanding soundtrack. Didn't like The Hobbits soundtrack though.
>>
>>64444871
>>64444871
>crabeye from DUDLAND!
what the hell does this even mean, legoland?
>>
>>64445182
It's an adaptation of better source material than the hobbit.
>>
>>64445210
>Didn't like The Hobbits soundtrack though
the hobbit soundtrack is great if you aren't a pleb who worships john williams and other 'whistle-able' melodies
>>
>>64445230
>>64445182
Stop it you two, no bickering about source material allowed.
>>
>>64445093
gollum's song is my personal favorite, besides gandalf's fall
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgFpHs5dGdg
>>
>>64445230
Even if the source material is comparably similar in quality, its the approach that kills it. LOTR is three books, so three movies makes sense. When it came to Hobbit, Hackson was only concerned with capitalizing on an already-successful franchise in an attempt to milk it for what is was worth. Hence three fucking movies for one book. This greedy mindset has also contributed to the decrease in quality as corners were cut in production, story/plot, and character development.

e.g I can name, by heart, each of the nine members of the original Fellowship. But asides from like Gandalf, Bilbo, and maybe Balin i cant remember a single name of the dwarves from Hobbit
>>
>>64445262
>pleb
>meme
>reddit

when does /tv/ acutally realize that opinions don't rely on facts? Now you even seem to hate John Williams? Nice.

>if other people like it, i musn't like it
>>
>>64445396
>LOTR is three books
wrong. it's one long book. tolkein specifically said so. he was angry when they split it up into "3 books". however, it is a 1100 page book, and hobbit is a 200 page children's story, so hackson was obviously doing it for the shekels.
>>
>>64445417
This is the most Reddit post I have ever seen
>>
>>64445396
Wasn't it New Line who wanted the Hobbit to be three parts?
>>
File: eowyn fights the witch king.jpg (242 KB, 900x782) Image search: [Google]
eowyn fights the witch king.jpg
242 KB, 900x782
>>64445471
each of the three volumes is actually split into two books as well, there are two books in each of FotR, TTT, and RotK
>>
>>64445471
you mean the studio was doing it for the shekels. jackson was loaded before he took on the hobbit anyway. if he was so desperate for shekels he would've started production of the hobbit immediately after lotr rather than making king kong.
>>
>>64445541
Why did you say the same thing twice?
>>
>>64445471
yeah i forgot about that, but when i say three books i do mean a considerably longer story regardless of how it's divided.

I also hate this "children's story" shit. To me, the Hobbit movies were destroyed due to their childish slapstick humor and generally simple plot. Then when people say "oh the humor is childish because muh childrens story" it pisses me the fuck off because the fucking violence, orcs, and huge ass war are NOT childrens material. Go 100% in one direction or another, not some 50-50 shit that ends up disappointijng everyone
>>
File: 1438967407242.jpg (128 KB, 792x800) Image search: [Google]
1438967407242.jpg
128 KB, 792x800
>>64445477
you're lost
>>
>>64443115
>The goofy wizard fight was kinda dumb
As opposed to the green soap bubbles scrubbing minas tirith clean of orcs? Give me a break.
>>
>>64445625
>it pisses me the fuck off because the fucking violence, orcs, and huge ass war are NOT childrens material.

There are literally hundreds of childrens stories or movies that have worse things than war.
>>
>>64445512
Warners more than New Line I'd say. When it was two movies just about everyone could see how that might work. 'There' and 'Back Again'
Do you remember the press conference where Hackson announced it'd be three? You could hear the audience going "what the fuck?". Turns out their skepticism was justified.
>>
File: gandalf and durins bane.jpg (121 KB, 1280x838) Image search: [Google]
gandalf and durins bane.jpg
121 KB, 1280x838
>>64445594
Fuck if I know
>>
>>64445471
He is not wrong.
It's one story, published in three books.
>>
>>64445716
True to an extent. Beheading orcs and slapstick humor don't go hand in hand. They should have either made a serious movie with serious tone, or gone full PeeWee Playhouse and gotten the movie down to a G rating. This "in between shit" simply doesnt fucking work. It takes away from the immersion factor, something LOTR possessed very well.
>>
>>64445723
the problem isn't that it's three movies, it's that it didn't get enough pre-production. with a proper screenplay and production it would've easily worked. this 'hurrr muh pages muh minutes' shit is fucking dumb. helm's deep is like half of TTT's runtime yet it's almost a fucking footnote in the book. and when i was reading the hobbit, despite it's low pagecount, there is a shit ton of things for your imagination to feed off of. you're looking at a journey almost the lengths of frodo's and sam's and some people seriously believe that it could've been one film. heck even if it was two films where would the first one end? at erebor? maybe think for a minute and realise just how much you'd have to paraphrase, it's a pacing nightmare.
>>
>>64444444
>>
>>64445113
My idea of heaven is walking through blinding white light and coming out in the shire and this song starts playing. It is perfect.
>>
>>64446133
Mine too man. They perfectly captured the look of The Shire.
Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.