[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Star Wars Laserdisc
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 7
So I finally got my hands on unedited LD versions of the OT. WHY are the composite shots so awful? I gave the first movie a pass because it was 77, but by ESB movies like Star Trek were already doing composite model shots without issues, yet Lucas can't even get basic shots like this to look good.

I can see why he went back and cleaned up for the re-releases
>>
File: earlysd.jpg (193 KB, 1677x1043) Image search: [Google]
earlysd.jpg
193 KB, 1677x1043
>>64403326
Still much better than ship scenes in the prequels.
>>
>>64403384
it's a fucking shot of ships moving around and a backdrop, Star Shitter's autism knows no bounds
>>
>>64403326
I don't see what's wrong, my man.
>>
nigga you don't know what you're saying, Star Trek: TMP haas plenty of shots that call attention to miniatures and paintings and multiple passes on mattes, and on Empire they were doing insanely painstaking shit in terms of compositing, like the go-motion tauntaun in live-action plates. it works in the context of the movie, how the motion of those shots is cut on and the shot length, etc.
>>
>>64403326
Is that from your version? I thought the original had no tie fighters flying around.
>>64403384
I also don't remember those destroyers facing the camera.
>>
>>64403735
Anytime there's a model composite in a live shot, there's a heavy outline around each object.

Usually its not a big deal but this was a million dollar picture, they should've done better than that.
>>
>>64403742
I'm saying that It's less evident in TMP and Khan when models and mattes are passing over each other. With ESB there's alwatys a color timing error or a matte cut outline that makes it stand out too much. Maybe I've been spoiled with restored versions of Trek whereas I have an unrestored Star Wars.
>>
It was the limits of technology at the time. How do I know? I was there. This was top of the line.
>>
>>64403326
Actually, even the original laserdisc release of the OT is still slightly edited and changed from the theatrical release.

The only way to get a true vanilla version of an original OT film is to find an original film reel, and hell, even those got somewhat changed a few weeks into theater showings.
>>
>>64403916
Is there a list somewhere showing was changed between the film and LD?
>>
>>64403971
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_changes_in_Star_Wars_re-releases
>>
File: Yowza_Jedi_Rocks.png (859 KB, 910x546) Image search: [Google]
Yowza_Jedi_Rocks.png
859 KB, 910x546
>>64403916
Hey, I don't mind minor edits. As long there's not shit like this.
>>
>>64404167
dont remind me
>>
we need a version with no edits, no new scenes, the matte masking cleaned up and a few tweeks here and there.
>>
File: 1260497746960.jpg (83 KB, 1280x544) Image search: [Google]
1260497746960.jpg
83 KB, 1280x544
greenscreen has always remained bad
especially since it wasn't made for today's resolutions
>>
nice mattes
>>
>>64403783
>Usually its not a big deal but this was a million dollar picture, they should've done better than that.

You're missing the point man. It's not the compositing that is faulty, it's the fact that it is on film to begin with. The masters themselves were greatly degraded even by the mid 80's. When the LD version was first released they did not do a full thorough cleaning/restoration of the masters, just a normal one. In several reels they could not even do it, the damage was already too severe and the tech wasnt quite ready yet. This only happenned a decade later when the digital tech had caught up allowing for a full digital pipeline to literraly save the OT masters.

When Lucas first released them in theaters, the prints were new and as pristine as they could be by then. But years of constant play in theaters had greatly damaged all of them, including the masters themselves. This is why Lucas asked to recuperate every single reel in circulation of star wars: they all were degraded by then.

The outline artefact you are mentioning is typical from poorly handled film masters. It has nothing to do with the expertise of the vfx people producing the movie. Film is a very volatile piece of storage, countless numbers of artefacts can happen. Heat, humidity, air pressure, so many other small variants will affect film.
>>
>>64404167
What is this form?
>>
>>64404882
jeeeez lmao
>>
>>64403869
im pretty sure the bluray releases of the wrath of kahn etc have been remastered and the originals had the same technical limitations of the time
>>
>>64404943
Thanks for the information. It's always interesting to hear the technical side of movies
>>
>>64404943
https://youtu.be/Ky1lSkkeRxk?t=34

here you can see what he is talking about
>>
>>64403326
https://youtu.be/VhLUdy3RDpM?t=301
>>
>>64403384
I dont remember this shot like that
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.