[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How exactly did this okay movie manage to make so much money?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: 67_Avatar.jpg (52 KB, 675x380) Image search: [Google]
67_Avatar.jpg
52 KB, 675x380
How exactly did this okay movie manage to make so much money?
Was it because of Camerons return to cinema?
Also why has TFA struggled to pass it?
>>
me and my gf at the time ended up just getting each other off in the back and fell asleep

absolutely do not understand the appeal it had other than the director
>>
swfags on suicide watch
>>
>>64392587
Avatar got re-released in cinemas, which added to it's total gross takings.
>>
>>64392660
0/10 your just butthurt
>>
>>64392587
The 3D gimmick.
>>
I don't like Star Wars anyway. Don't like Avatar either.

It was a CGI novelty with no soul. Does anyone actually remember it now? Did it leave a mark on pop culture?
>>
>>64392587
There's this fetishism for the notion of the noble savage currently ongoing in the Western world. It's one of the main tools used by ISIS to recruit currently. Most people are really, really stupid and/or naive. James Cameron took advantage of that.
>>
>>64392587
everybody was told the movie was worth it because "first time ever 3D was really good" and "hyperrealistic immersive special fx"

I fell for it and never did again after that
>>
I think it kind of just became a meme at some point where people were like "well if its this popular I guess I should see it" and it just snowballed from there

It never seemed like people were enthusiastic at the time, everyone just kind of liked it
>>
>>64392587
Graphix
>>
it has mechs, sexy cat people, and sigourney weaver, what more do you need?
>>
>>64392587
>Also why has TFA struggled to pass it?
>Struggled
Nigga, less than two and a half weeks and it's gonna beat it.
>>
>>64392768
I honestly don't think it has, it was a popular movie that came and went. There's supposed to be a sequel, but I doubt that'll do as well as the first.
>>
>>64393079
Well, it didn't actually have any kind of substance. Nothing really to make me care. Or anyone. All hollow, like a tech demo.

Does anyone actually remember it anymore? Nobody talks about it, nobody dress like this on cons, it's not any kind of relevant. It's one of those things that just happened, and unless someone mention it, you probably won't remember.
>>
>>64392587

Here's why I liked it:
-everything that was visual felt fresh and new, each landscape looked different, the flora and fauna was completely new, it looked fantastic at day and at night
-the cgi is god tier, it aged pretty well
-the plot is something that teaches values to a young audience

Here's what I didn't like:
-the billion tropes
-the flat characters
-the same plot again

I liked TFA but visually it can't ever reach Avatar, in my opinion.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.