[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
could someone explain to me why some people think this is tarantinos
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6
File: jackie_brown.jpg (505 KB, 1500x2025) Image search: [Google]
jackie_brown.jpg
505 KB, 1500x2025
could someone explain to me why some people think this is tarantinos best?

Personally I'd consider it one of his worst, it's not a bad movie, but the story and the characters are so unsually conventional that there's nothing of particular interest for me
>>
It's the less Tarantulesque movie, which is why everyone else thinks it's his best while flickloverse like you think it's his worst
>>
edgy dialogue + stylised action takes a backseat for a focus more on characters, getting older, downtrodden people trying to hustle to survive. it was a nice change of pace after pulp fiction. arguably one of his better movies even if it's not his best.
>>
>>64385526
>could someone explain to me why some people think this is tarantinos best?
Feels more down-to-earth, realistic and likeable characters that people can actually relate to, great soundtrack, great cast, etc.
>>
>>64385526
Because it was Quentin growing as a filmmaker, it focuses on having a story and substance and not just the style and dialogue memes. However, everyone went to see it expecting Pulp Fiction 2, shat on it and made Quentin decide trying to grow wasn't good and to just keep doing the same shit that worked the first time.

A similair thing happened to Kevin Smith, with Chasing Amy it saw him maturing as a filmmaker, and that wasn't even panned or shat on, Smith just got scared of having to try and actually work and evolve, so he went back to what he knew was safe.
>>
>characters are so unsually conventional

What does that even mean? Which conventions are they following?
>>
The characters are because it's an adaptation.
Elmore Leonard is pretty much the Tarantino of literature, so he really only feels tame by comparison

Thing is though, much as I like the sound of the movie on paper (Tarantino with some restraint, Pam Grier, Elmore Leonard) I do think it's one of his weaker films because things just don't quite hit for me
then again I'm not a huge tarantino fan to begin with
>>
>>64385526
I think thats why its liked by patricians
It's an Ok movie as opposed to being dogshit like most his other movies

pulp fiction, jackie brown, reservoir dogs were crime films that had elements inspired from exploitation stuff, but they had some creativity in them

his stuff like kill bill, django, basterds aren't like that, theyre just basically cartoons, and the parts he took from older movies feel more like ripoffs than a nod and wink

death proof is kind of like the cartoon phase, but its so shitty it escapes any criticism so it winds up being a good movie for entertainment.
>>
>>64385750
neo noir conventions except they're not just following them they were literally set by the book
>>
Jackie Brown is obscenely long, it just drags forever. I guess all QT films are to an extent but it's worse here
>>
File: Elmore Leonard.jpg (64 KB, 559x709) Image search: [Google]
Elmore Leonard.jpg
64 KB, 559x709
>>64385526
>could someone explain to me why some people think this is tarantinos best?

Because he didn't write it.
>>
>>64385970
ayy
>>
What if I told you it's De Niro's best performance
>>
>>64386397
It's almost certainly his last noteworthy performance, but nowhere near his best.
>>
File: j co.png (21 KB, 531x191) Image search: [Google]
j co.png
21 KB, 531x191
>>64386438
>>
>>64385526
>the story and the characters are so unsually conventional that there's nothing of particular interest for me

Not calling you out OP but it might depend on life experience. It nails lower middle class to middle class living in Los Angeles past a certain age and the dynamic between Forster and Grier is so real as to be almost heartbreaking, and it would be if it wasn't a Tarantino movie. This is his only film with actual emotionally grownup adults in it. The characters in his other movies are caricatures or at least incidental to the plot as it rollicks along, while the entire cast here is really well sketched out. Elmore Leonard, basically.
>>
Because it's an actual mature movie. It's not about being colorful and wild. It's pretty restrained and doesn't feel in-your-face with thievery.
>>
>>64386486
It's just Scorsese films. He was better in Heat than in Jackie Brown.
>>
>>64386545
*It's NOT just Scorsese films
>>
>>64386397
Most nuanced outside Scorsese and The Deer Hunter anyway
>>
File: NOICE.png (215 KB, 562x504) Image search: [Google]
NOICE.png
215 KB, 562x504
>>64385597
>he bothers to have a favorite Tarantino film while pretending to dislike tarantino
>>
File: 1441828899728.jpg (40 KB, 300x364) Image search: [Google]
1441828899728.jpg
40 KB, 300x364
>/tv/ kids that need sploshins every 3 minutes dont like Jackie Brown

wow, shocker
>>
It's a pseudo-Roman picaresque movie about America, while Tarantino usually aims for some form of 'tactile surrealism'.

In most of Tarantino's movies, the characters gradually get out of hand and everything becomes operatic toward the end, but in Jackie Brown, the environment itself is crazy and the characters gradually ground us within it, before revealing their core conflict. I haven't seen the Hateful Eight, but I hope it's like the latter.

Compare Jackie Brown to something like 'The Golden Ass', but replace magic with the subject of crime. I don't know if this helps or not.
>>
Only white nerds like Jackie Brown because it's Tarantino's expression of what "black cool" is.
>>
I like Death Proof. It' the most tarantino movie. No plot. It's just dialogue, feet and gore.
The night at the bar has to be the best act of any tarantino movie. The night at the bar in the basterds being close second, needed more feet though.
>>
>>64386817
I don't even remember the black characters in Jackie Brown. It seems to star DeNiro and Fonda.
>>
>>64386850
>I like Death Proof
Same, it's one of my top 3 Tarantino movies along with Jackie Brown and Basterds.
>>
>>64385526
I hated Jackie Brown as a kid. As I became older the movie just seemed better to me. Not sure why, but maybe I would consider it one of Tarantino's best.
>>
>>64386817
its tarantinos rehashing of every blaxsploitation trope
it has fucking coffy in it
it works though, and has an excellent motown soundtrack. his best soundtrack in a way
its the most serious character study he has put forward. it is muted, well designed, and adapted
its not a masterpiece, but it beats his usual blood splatter 'playing with toys' offerings
JB GOAT QT
>>
It's one of his very best. One of the main reasons is it has heart, actual emotional pathos, absent from most of his films. Jackie is a tragic figure.
>>
>>64385526
This whole thread is bullshit. People here say its his best because its his least known movie and everyone knows /tv/ is contrarian.
>>
>>64386817
Why are you bringing race into this, no one else is.

Also Forster, De Niro, Fonda, Keaton all nail it.
>>
>>64385526
Because Jackie and Max are the least cartoonesque characters Tarantino has ever created,
>>
>>64387280
>/tv/ is contrarian
Does that mean you're contrarian?
>>
>>64387509
yes
>>
>>64385526
Tarantino's best: Pulp Fiction.
>>
>>64386817

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiQOz1zdLVE
>>
>>64387452
I don't think he created them. He may have written some basic heist plotline, but the actors get all the credit.
>>
>>64387280
I think you're the one acting like a contrarian. A lot of people gave good reasons
>>
>>64387564
yeah, you're right, I wanted to say that they were part of his film, not that he created them
>>
If anything, for the types around here that go on and on about Cuckatino and Dingus, JB should be the film of his they like the best. Jackson is the villain and is dealt with accordingly. Saying.
>>
>>64387611
sure buddy
>>
File: 1447152080831.png (138 KB, 406x451) Image search: [Google]
1447152080831.png
138 KB, 406x451
>>64385597
This analysis is more or less on point. Tarantino himself has said that, while he's proud of Jackie Brown, it's the film that appeals to people who "don't like Tarantino". A great film that has absolutely none of his trademarks - for the better, so say his critics.

Source: this interview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgTh422WDEk
Unsure of the timestamp but I may come back and post it in a reply if I get the time to thumb back through the video.
>>
>>64385526
Just watching the first 10 minutes will exactly tell you why
>>
uno farto
>>
because pam grier was as perfectly cast as anyone ever has been, still quite hot but obviously getting old. her and robert forster were just fantastic.

relatively free of tarantino bullshit that he ruins his movies with usually. the only terrible bits were the chicks with guns part and SLJ's hair.

it's hard to make a really bad elmore leonard adaptation. fucking scandalous that pam grier didn't get a best actress nomination.
>>
>>64387998
@3.17
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.