[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The problem with The Force Awakens
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 2
File: vlcsnap-00002.png (233 KB, 720x288) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-00002.png
233 KB, 720x288
I think the issue, for at least me personally, was that the movie just didn't feel like Star Wars. It didn't give me that same vibe that Return of the Jedi or Empire Strikes Back gave me.

Part of it I feel has to do with the J.J. style humor and the music. There are some good tracks in there, such as Rey's theme and a few notes from Kylo's theme...

https://youtu.be/y8ac1Qg-r-8?t=4m19s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65As1V0vQDM

But the rest of the soundtrack sucks. There is no real memorable song that you hum in your head as you leave the theater.

That, and the whole movie was a poorly done remake of A New Hope. Sorry, that's just how I see it.

What do you guys think? Was there anything that distracted you or prevented you from liking the movie?
>>
>didn't feel like star wars
maybe what you consider star wars is different from what most other people consider star wars. All i can remember from people is how much it was 'like star wars'
>>
>>64370262
I don't think the soundtrack sucks, I just think it was misplaced a lot of the time throughout the movie.

I agree that Rey's theme was perfectly synches and Han and Leia was on point....but the rest of the new stuff, despite being good, just wasn't edited in properly.

I blame JJ. Also I love the movie.
>>
>>64370409
>I agree that Rey's theme was perfect
brofist, based bro
>>
>>64370444
>you must be 18 to post on 4chan
>>
>>64370475
It's the best new theme from TFA brah. It pulls a lot of winds (wind instruments) into the main theme of Star Wars and introduces a new character theme at the same time...how could you not like it?
>>
>>64370475
w-what
I'm just happy someone actually shares the same opinion as me about specifically Rey's theme, faggot

;-;
>>
The original Star Wars were good because of the sense of inmensity and grand adventure. This is was in part because of the novelty, and because of Luke, an insignificant desert boy surrounded and overwhelmed by heroes and villains across space.

Not only do you become desensitized after one installment of Lasers in Space after the other, but the character development of Rey as opposed to Luke is laughable, and makes the experience a waste of time.
>>
Rey's theme was trash, you say the movie didn't feel like star wars yet you like Rey's theme? It sounded like Harry Potter
>>
The only thing they could have done to make it feel more like Star Wars is different editing. There weren't nearly enough wipes in this movie. Star Wars needs wipes. Strange wipes. Wipes from every direction. Wipes from multiple directions at once.
>>
>>64370262
Haha no way dude the Force Awakens in theaters now is hella awesome and has a hecka diverse strong empowered cast. I'm planning on seeing again in theater with some buds lol. WHOOP WHOOP awoogah! haha
>>
>>64370653
First of all, you're not discussing the score which is what this thread is about.

Second of all, the character arc of Rey has yet to be determined.
>>
>>64370262
The problem with The Force Awakens is that it was fucking shit, and no amount of groupthinking social media whores will change that.
>>
>>64370744
There are several points brought up in the OP. Which ends with this line
>What do you guys think? Was there anything that distracted you or prevented you from liking the movie?
>>
movie felt "small".

like happening in a small universe, maybe the word is poor. poorly constructed universe, poor characters. there were like 4 set, they rotated, and that was the movie.
>>
>>64370653
The Force Awakens was good because of the sense of inmensity and grand adventure. This is was in part because of the novelty, and because of Rey, an insignificant desert girl surrounded and overwhelmed by heroes and villains across space.

Not only do you become desensitized after one installment of Flash Gordon after the other, but the character development of Luke as opposed to Rey is laughable, and makes the experience that much better.
>>
>>64370262
What distracted me is that I had to see it at Regal Cinema and they couldn't fix their fucking 4k projectors so the image wasn't the size of an envelope and stuck in tunnel vision. And the surround sound audio was not either not calibrated properly. Also people were literally filming the fucking opening crawl, distracting me from reading it. But that wasn't regal's fault on their own.

In short, I'm not giving money to see films again at a chain cinema. If anyone else had this problem, is there a preferred time of day to see films where they tend to actually be projected correctly?
>>
>>64370653
>>64370744
>>64370823
>>64370834
>>64370831
>>64370316

OP here. Lot of god points here and there. I personally didn't care for the movie and it's soundtrack... and a lot of the stuff in it...

So, I took measures into my own hands. I started a fan edit of the movie, which replaces the entire soundtrack with the best music from all the six other movies, removes the Kylo Ren tantrum scenes, and cuts down on some of the excess humor and a lot of the pointless fanservice.

Here's an example of what my fan edit is kind of supposed to do:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3k8qig_tfa-4re-scored_fun

The password is: FanEditsRule
>>
>>64370262
I felt that too, but in a way it's a good thing I think. Instead going for a familiar vibe it actually feels fresh now, just like ANH did back when it first came out.
>>
>There is no real memorable song that you hum in your head as you leave the theater.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueqKtype7Kk

March of the Resistance, motherfucker. It references Shostakovich's 5th symphony.
>>
>>64370732
>WHOOP WHOOP awoogah!

This is some next level shitposting, I'll give ya that m8
>>
>>64370262

The soundtrack was ass. John Williams completely phoned it in. The only iconic song that I remember, Rey's theme, feels like it belongs in the magical halls of Hogwarts.
>>
>>64370262
>That, and the whole movie was a poorly done remake of A New Hope. Sorry, that's just how I see it.

Why do people keep saying this? There were like three scenes that were similar to A New Hope. The overall sequence of events feels familiar because it's a pretty standard copypasted hero's journey structure, which New Hope happened to follow to a T as well.
>>
>>64370834
>Jakku
>Star Destroyer
>Desert
>Hans Freighter
>The interior of the Millenium Falcon
>Maz Planet
>The Bar
>The Bars Basement
>The Forest

That is just the first half of the movie and I also blew you the fuck out.

BTFO
T
F
O
>>
>>64371019
It's a good track, but it didn't stick with me. Also, I don't even remember hearing that song in the movie. Did the editing process drown it out or something?
>>
>>64370262
>I think the issue, for at least me personally, was that the movie just didn't feel like Star Wars.
>That, and the whole movie was a poorly done remake of A New Hope.

poor knockoff....doesn't feel like the same universe.....

wut?
>>
>>64370316

He's right though. It wasn't really Star Wars. It was more or less a Marvel-style movie (quips, quirkiness etc.) with lightsabers.
>>
>>64371116
It was a bad remake that didn't feel like Star Wars. That's what I was saying.
>>
>>64370963
Only remove the first Kylo tantrum scene, the second one is both funny and give insight into the character.
>>
>>64371111
something must be wrong with you. How did that track not stick out to you? It plays 3 times in the movie. First at full blast when the resistance x-wings come in to rescue Han, Finn and Chewie.
>>
>waaaaa
>it doesn't "feel" like star wars

yes it did you stupid fucking retard
>>
>>64371236
finally someone who speaks some sense around these parts.
>>
cool blog OP
>>
the last three movies didnt feel like star wars movies either. I could have done without most remake of a remake remake remake. now do you see why lucas didnt want to make anymore star wars when will you people ever learn.

I HOPE Y'ALL ARE HAPPY YOU FINALLY KILLED STAR WARS
>>
>>64371147
Is anyone else tired of the marvel/michael bay haphazard style of editing where the film is paced so terribly that it keeps you from enjoying the film?
>>
>>64371236
Haha SO FUCKING TRUUUE
*fist bump*
Us Force Awakens in theaters now fans gotta stick together haha
>>
>>64371236
That's your opinion, asshat.
>>64371209
Oh ok, I see now, it is there. Listening to the scene now. I'm sorry if I sound weird, but I just didn't care for it.
>>
I honestly felr like meme lord from gotg could have shown up at any moment

This movie felt like like a marvel capeshit movie with a star wars skin
>>
>>64371283

>force awakens all time highest grossing movie ever
>FINALLY KILLED STAR WARS

lolfam u right amirite JJ a hack loltbh
>>
>>64371283
>now do you see why lucas didnt want to make anymore star wars

he was still actively involved in making new spinoffs like TCW. he just didn't want to do episode 7. too much effort
>>
>>64371338
>Transformers 4 highest grossing movie of 2014
>Box office numbers apparently = quality film
>Nigga wut
>>
>>64371311
>That's your opinion, asshat.

Which is exactly the point you stupid fucking inbred degenerate bottom feeder.
Every dumb cunt has their own opinion on what star wars is supposed to "feel" like.
Since you can't appease everyone naturally there are aspie manchildren like you trying to hopelessly rekindle some scrap of what seemed like a good memory from your childhood experience watching these stupid movies.
>>
>>64371338
the moneys not my point, its star wars its gonna make money...that storyline had me cringing the entire time.
>>
Imagine that rey's character was male and whiny. Finn was white and Han solo was alec guinnes. It would be the exact same movie, here is the real problem. Rey didn't learn shit or at least there wasn't a mentor to teach her the force. Now this is ok because it was an AWEKENING but at the same time you realize that one of the most fun aspects is the training part and this movie didn't have it. Rey didn't really have an ARC at least not a clear one. My prediction is that luke is actually not going to train Rey aKylo is going to overcome Luke she is going to train with a different person.
>>
>>64371338
It won't break Avatar, SW is SW, nothing groundbreaking, if you want to break avatar then it's gotta be some revolutionizing tech as avatar did with 3D, maybe oculus rift movie?
>>
someone needs to start a new thread on how to write a compelling powerful gripping riveting and convincing story for the next star war...that ending was so bad
>>
>>64371464
The world(s?) revolves around Rey so of course Luke is going to teach her.
>>
File: image.jpg (63 KB, 741x550) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
63 KB, 741x550
>>64370963
I think TFA needs to end with a medal ceremony of some kind, as both Phantom and ANH did the same, there's a structural necessity somewhere. Am I wrong?
>>
>>64371572
yes and that's what everyone is hoping for. If they have an inch of good storytelling ability they can see that people don't want the obvious thing. they want something new. Luke is going to threat her like a father and they are going to reveal that she they are actually not brothers with Kylo Luke is only going to function as a parent figure and maybe train her for a day, this is because he doesn't want any more pupils.. Han solo said it. "Some pupil went insane" this is the reason he went into isolation. The next movie is going to be Luke VS Kylo and luke is going to overcome him but snoke is going to actually kill him. Obi wan really only trained luke for a day but it was Darth Vader killing his new mentor that ignited the flame. I;m guessing that they are going to bring an old "Prequel" character that we all think is dead like Samuel L JAckson but fucking old..
>>
>>64371868
That would've been nice. Another problem for me was it wasn't self contained. You can watch the original Star Wars without seeing any other movie, and it can be a satisfying experience. It was made without knowing a sequel would come along. That's what The Force Awakens also should've done.
>>
>>64371091

>The Bar
>The Bars Basement
>>
>>64371286
Definitely. I have sworn off all Marvel movies because of this. I don't want to, but it looks like I have to swear off Star Wars too now.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.