[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If Tony Zhou knows so much about cinema, why doesnt he make movies
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: tonyZhou-square.png (962 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
tonyZhou-square.png
962 KB, 700x700
If Tony Zhou knows so much about cinema, why doesnt he make movies himself? Or is his only talent just studying the surface of what other directors do?
>>
Because he isn't jewish
>>
File: 1374088676109.gif (985 KB, 500x252) Image search: [Google]
1374088676109.gif
985 KB, 500x252
>>64369672
>If Tony Zhou knows so much about cinema
>>
Probably too busy being buttmad that the white man is taking all his women.
>>
>>64369717
That is my point, now every video he makes, makes the front page of every website and movie blog. The dude is literally just describing the surface with no insight into the rest. he is fraud.
>>
>>64369672
it doesnt matter what he knows, he has a niche and people pay him for his videos. Obviously you can argue about creative satisfaction but if what youre doing is making you money why stop?
>>
>guy gets famous for talking about movies in a direct and accessible way
>/tv/ hates him for not being in depth enough and acts like he needs to be taken down a peg
Just admit you're salty as fuck he got famous doing what you think you could do
>>
>>64369672
He's an editor.
>>
>>64369842
hey tony
>>
>>64369857
He probably thinks he will get his shot one day, that is the sad part
>>
>>64369915
Doubt it. He's actually receiving patreon donations for his stuff.
>>
literally who? only serious film critic I follow is Colo Claw
>>
>>64369672
literally who?
>>
His latest video is hilarious
>Guess what guys, staging is a thing
>"OMG IM LEARNING SO MUCH"
FUCKING
P
L
E
B
S
>>
>>64369983
patreon donations for one video every 2 months?

wtf
>>
>>64370079
Christ you sound insecure
>>
>>64369915
You sound jealous, Anon.
>>
>>64369985

Oh, he's the Every frame a painting guy, what he talks about is elemental, at best he could land a spot as first year's teacher in film school.
>>
>>64369753
You're obviously misinterpreting his intentions based on a limited understanding of the actual scope of film analysis today.

He talks about visual styles and tropes and how they form patterns in an individual's filmography or a genre.

The reason he became famous so quickly is because
a) visual essays are far more effective in conveying information about films than blogs or books.
b) he has an actual education in production unlike most of his competition, who learned from their bedroom (think Rob Ager). This makes his work immediately more digestible and engaging for the masses.
>>
>>64370308
Badmouthing Rob Ager
>:/
>>
>>64369915
>>64370079
>>64370290
>actually getting mad that a guy makes 5 minute youtube videos and complaining they aren't in depth enough
>"ooommgg he talks about pleb directors like kubrick, he's such a pleb only plebs watch him, why doesn't he talk about muh patrician films like instructions for a light and sound machine, or other patrician films, look here's my 3x3"
Autism.
>>
I killed a man that looked just like him in Korea.

Hand to hand.
>>
>>64370308
Ager's videos are way more informative, though.
>>
>>64372609
Well Ager's style and content differs a lot from Tony's, while Tony showcases film techniques, Rob uses that and much more to analyze the content of the film he's analyzing.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.