[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My roommate wants to watch a movie with me and I've been
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 8
File: Yojimbo.png (102 KB, 551x341) Image search: [Google]
Yojimbo.png
102 KB, 551x341
My roommate wants to watch a movie with me and I've been watching a lot of Kurosawa lately. Watched Yojimbo last night, and was planning to watch Sanjuro today. Can he watch or should I pick a different one?
>>
>>64312558
You should let your roommate pick the film. He might be a pleb.
>>
File: swordofdoom1.jpg (150 KB, 940x657) Image search: [Google]
swordofdoom1.jpg
150 KB, 940x657
Watch The Sword of Doom instead
>>
>>64312558
Watch Ran
>>
>>64312683
Tell me why this movie is good enough to go in my Kurosawa slot. Not being a dick, seriously considering it, just never heard of it. BTW is that the bad guy from Yojimbo?

>>64312662
He is, hence why I'm considering watching something different to help him get one step closer to patrician status. He wants to elevate his status, don't want to alienate him.
>>
>>64312819
Are you the guy I rec'd Yojimbo a few days ago?
>>
>>64312888
No, but I can't give it enough praise if you haven't seen it. I re-watched it the other day, and after it was over, I just watched it again. It's a pretty simple story, it's just really visually interesting.

I also recommend this 8 minute video about movement in his movies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doaQC-S8de8
>>
>>64312558
>Japan then vs Japan now

what the fuck happened
>>
Sanjuro is pretty boring desu
>>
File: Ran.Kyoami.jpg (44 KB, 614x410) Image search: [Google]
Ran.Kyoami.jpg
44 KB, 614x410
Ran is one of the more accessible ones. But don't watch a dub.
>>
>>64313219
It's a great movie. The final duel was an all around beautiful sequence.

Have you seen Harakiri?
>>
>>64313256
they got nuked and emasculated as a result
>>
>>64313256
The males born post 60's became herbivore men. The creative people now just want to make anime, nobody wants to be an Akira Kurosawa.
>>
File: sword-of-doom.jpg (427 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
sword-of-doom.jpg
427 KB, 1024x768
>>64312819
Sword of Doom has Kurosawa tier cinematography
>>
>>64312558
Just watch Harakiri.
>>
File: Samurai.jpg (37 KB, 298x396) Image search: [Google]
Samurai.jpg
37 KB, 298x396
As far as plebian accessibility goes

The Last Samurai > 13 assassins > Twilight Samurai > When the Last Sword is Drawn > Ran > Harakiri > Sanjuro

Decide where he is on that list and pick a film.

Honestly When the Last Sword is Drawn is probably my favorite out of all of them.
>>
File: Based Takeshi.jpg (90 KB, 718x471) Image search: [Google]
Based Takeshi.jpg
90 KB, 718x471
>>64313355
Say that to Beat's face motherfucker
He was born in the 1940s, though
>>
>>64313289
Is ran the color one? I've never seen any of his color ones.

>>64313447
Sounds good, almost out of Kurosawa's samarui movies, and I need more.

>>64313535
Ditto. Going to add that to the list to.
>>
>>64313269

ARE YOU FOR REAL?

Sanjuro is based, shows how much an Alpha male has to do just to get by in a society populated by betas and lames, you feel sorry for him having to take out the other Alpha at the end.
>>
File: Atomic_Samurai_Profile.png (246 KB, 334x548) Image search: [Google]
Atomic_Samurai_Profile.png
246 KB, 334x548
>>64314296
Not him but Sanjuro is pretty outdated. A lot of the dialogue and character design is just sortof clunky and stereotypical compared to films made later. The sets feel pretty stale and well, largely, it's a black and white foreign film.

Don't get me wrong, I love Sanjuro, it's one of my favorite Kurosawa films. I'm just not surprised at all when people find it boring.

Anyone catch the Sanjuro reference in One Punch?
>>
>>64314100
Takeshi was born out of the destruction of war, he's Jap cinema's only hope aside from Kiyoshi, Sono, and Miike despite his meme-status.
>>
>>64313969

all my pleb friends have enjoyed Hidden Fortress I definitely would add that to the list

muh R2 and C3PO
>>
File: Zatoichi.jpg (117 KB, 448x252) Image search: [Google]
Zatoichi.jpg
117 KB, 448x252
>>64315737
The Hidden Fortress is one of Kurosawa's lamest samurai films, though. It is interesting to compare to A New Hope though, yeah. There are a lot of things that could be pushed into that list, I just named some random good Samurai movies.

I'm not aware of any Samurai films I haven't seen made after 1960. Somebody help. Pretty sure I've watched literally all of them. Name something ridiculously obscure so I can be autistic for an hour and a half.
>>
>>64315855

lame? it's hilarious af while also being badass, basically proto-Indiana Jones. it's in the criterion collection for a reason
>>
>>64312683
This movie is fucking based. It's a shame it didn't have a proper ending.
>>
>>64317197
Literally almost everything Kurosawa made is in the Criterion Collection you dip

https://www.criterion.com/explore/3-akira-kurosawa
>>
>>64317515

hmmm, maybe because those are all really good movies?
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.