[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anomalisa
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 5
File: Anomalisa.png (534 KB, 1200x1750) Image search: [Google]
Anomalisa.png
534 KB, 1200x1750
Given it leaked.

What a good movie. I was genuinely surprised at how much I liked it. The spare voice acting and the beautiful animation is oddly not out of place. I would never have thought the techniques would work out but they did. As a result the story and characters come off as real and compelling.

I feel like I should go watch it in the theater to give the creators some money and maybe see it in cinema quality. Rare for a pirate like me.

Anyone have thoughts about it?
>>
Where'd it leak. Give it to me.
>>
>>64303409
I found it on RevTT.
>>
>>64303393
Is a film this visually-centric worth seeing through a fairly low quality screener or should I just wait for January's "wide" release or eventual BD rip?
>>
I feel like this is something I'm going to want to wait for the highest quality rip possible so im gonna abstain from downloading it
But I did say the same about the revenant and gave in last week so
>>
>720x288

Jesus. I don't know if I want to do this. It's not a matter of watching it for free, since I'm going to buy the Blu-Ray anyways. I just don't know if my first viewing should be with such low quality. I don't know if I can stop myself, though.
>>
>>64303447

I don't know what to say. The current dvdscr is noticeably compressed but It didn't stump my enjoyment of it. Like I said I'm seriously considering seeing it in a theater, though. It's out now so I would say it's probably worth seeing. Cams wont be better than this and I doubt we'll see a better pirated copy until real DVD/BD.

For me at least the animation was good enough that I didn't really notice it was animated unless I thought about it consciously. It's really odd.
>>
>>64303393
Watched this last night. Was very impressed. Despite being animated it was probably the most straight forward of Kaufman's films. I was surprised at how funny it was too.
What was with the out of nowhere anti-American rant near the end though when the protag is up on stage? Seemed so out of place.
>>
>>64303500
To repeat, maybe download the sample and see if that is okay for you. If not, go see it in the theater or wait for the BDrips in like 3-6 months.
>>
http://putlocker.is/watch-anomalisa-online-free-putlocker.html
>>
>>64303621
I would not watch it here. It's doubly compressed. Go find a torrent.
>>
>>64303630
How's the top one on TPB? The 720x288 one. Description says he removed all watermarks and made it "sharper".
>>
>>64303675
Grab the CM8 copy. That's the original leak.
>>
>>64303685
The one I'm downloading off TPB is:

"Anomalisa.2015.DVDScr.XVID.AC3.HQ.Hive-CM8"

I'm assuming that's the one you're talking about.
>>
>>64303675
I have this. It is the original CM8. Quality is 5-6/10. Watchable but definitely compressed, cropped and a faint hiss in the audio can be heard on loud volumes. It's the best you'll get for now baring you living in LA/NYC and having 10 bucks free.
>>
>>64303532
Why did it seem out of place? It didn't poke out for me.
>>
>>64303532
I think the rant was actually in a way making fun of liberals who have become detached and will assume everyone is the same way
>>
>Your name is like an anomaly. You're Anomalisa!
Fucking really Kaufman?
>>
>>64304403
Not the person you responded to.

I felt it was true and false. He didn't say anything particularly incorrect as a whole, but as the final scene shows your interpretation is also true. Yeah, shits fucked up but individual people can and will surprise you if you can manage not to be jaded all of the time.

His speech was filled with platitudes and generally true things -- but they're not the whole picture and they're a kind of empty.

Lastly, as an addition to the depression angle, the whole film can be interpreted to mean that depressive realism is a bit of an illusion even though it can yield true insights. To support this, you can see that he detaches from the depressive realism when he gets drunk. Anomalisa... This is the allure of drugs.
>>
Charlie Kaufman is a meme writer/director, not surprised he did another gimmick around claymation or whatever.
>>
I'm only about 15 minuets in, and I can't believe the quality in this animation. I've never seen stop-motion look so good before.
>>
The whole movie is Charlie Kaufman's misanthropic & narcissistic routine as usual. This time, with a barely functioning protagonist who is, somewhat tragically, delusional, and can only look down on other people, including the poor girl that he thinks he's in love with.

It may sound like I hated the movie, but it's actually the opposite. I find it very interesting how a viewer can relate to the terrible human tendencies that Kaufman (and other Jewish writers like Noah Baumbach and Woody Allen) love to indulge in. I find their sincere and conflicted misanthropy more appealing, and more beautiful, than some fake and easy Hollywood humanism.
>>
>>64305234
Huh. That's a very interesting idea about Kaufman's works. Thank you.
>>
>>64305234
Narcissistic is probably too strong, unless you want to make the argument that self-loathing is also a form of narcissism.
>>
>>64305298
>self-loathing is also a form of narcissism

It is tho, the worst one, very destructive shit
>>
>>64303393
>DVD
>XviD

Pleb leak, more like.
>>
>>64303393

You won't be giving the creators any money by seeing it in a cinema. The creators have already been paid.
>>
>>64305363
and how do they get paid? companies give them money just because they like them? no, they see if they're profitable.
>>
>>64303500

Not only that but the audio is shit.
>>
>>64305381

I don't think anyone is caring if Kauffman is profitable.

The fact remains that for this work, the artists have been paid. So unless you are in love with ALL of the work by the artists, you won't really be helping. The best you can do is stop stealing in the first place.
>>
>>64305383
Audio is fine. This guy is dumb.
>>
>>64303393
I almost hesitate to call it a movie. It was a character study, or maybe even more than that, as a human study. It was brave, ambitious, and completely different than anything else I've seen this year, possibly ever.

I'm not sure how I like it as a movie, but I definitely admire its tenacity. David Thewlis was good, but Tom Noonan and JJL knocked it out of the park.
>>
>>64305363
>>64305420
This guy's an idiot. It's very simple: box office demonstrates value to investors, the same way the success of the kickstarter campaign demonstrated value and enabled the creators to get additional funding through channels that previously rejected them because the film didn't seem market viable. By the way, it was originally going to be 40mins before they got that additional funding, so you can guess how money they got to produce it, and that's not even counting having marketing and distribution covered.

Buying a ticket is the best way to signal to that the film was a good investment, which buys credibility for the creators to get funding sight unseen. (When I say best, I mean most trusted by the industry.) By the way, this was pretty much the plan with the kickstarter campaign, to demonstrate value so they can get more financing, Kaufman wasn't even involved in the production before that stage.
>>
While the animation is incredible, it's a minor Kaufman work in the end.

I like how the trailer made it look uplifting and life affirming and all that, then the movie shits in your mouth
>>
File: image.jpg (172 KB, 1080x1002) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
172 KB, 1080x1002
>>64303393
I was dissapointed by it and I loved Eternal Sunshine and Being John Malkovich.
I won't deny that the level of craftsmanship put into the movie was amazing but I just came out unsatisfied with it. The few scenes that were in the movie were just too long drawn out, it get like the movie was too short for what it wanted to be. The animation was great but I just disliked that the characters looked like crash test dummies especially the bald Hotel manager.
As for the rest of Kauffmans movies I would put it just slightly above Adaptation.
I came out of the Peanuts movie far more satisfied and I don't even know much about Snoopy.
>>
How bad is the leak? Will it ruin the movie for me?
>>
>>64306649
The cinematography and little details are amazing. Don't watch the leaks since they make the movie look like shit and you can't see the important details of some scenes
>>
>>64303393
Is it as good as Eternal Sunshine?
>>
first 20 minutes had me bored and then an anomaly
>>
Just watched it.

It was fucking beautiful, even if anti-climatic. Would not recommend to anyone going through serious shit in their lives, this is better off left for a few months after the serious shit in that time where you can appreciate feeling bad again as part of who you are.

It's very much Clay Puppington: the movie.
>>
>>64305234
the protagonist in this one was a bigger cunt than Kaufman's or Allen's usual, though
>>
>>64304837
His movies are always worth a look, you cynical pleb twat. It's better than the thirtieth sequel or newest capeshit iteration or reboot of some 80's vehicle.

At least Kaufman is trying to do and say something original.
>>
>>64303393
PAID SHILL
A
I
D

H
I
L
L
>>
>>64308878
Perhaps, that's Kaufman being even more naked and sincere than usual? Or do you think a character who is a "bigger cunt" is actually a thicker "mask" for him? (This is not a rhetorical question.)
>>
>>64303393
On my first watch it felt like one long episode of Mad Men just minus all of Don's charisma and so overt and hamfisted with it's themes but it was on my mind afterwards so I may feel differently about it after a rewatch.
>>
>>64309144
I'm not sure why are you so fixated on the idea of Kaufman projecting (or denying) his own personality in his works.
It's possible to write a character without attaching your own traits.
>>
>>64309267
Something about you is always going to leak when writing characters.
>>
I had high hopes for this film, which might have been my undoing. I absolutely love Kaufman's work, but I feel like most of the themes in the film (depression, inability to connect with others, miscommunication, death) were already expressed, more eloquently and in a more entertaining fashion, by his other works. Namely Synecdoche. I guess I was disappointed? When the credits rolled I sat frozen in shock and dismay. I'm simultaneously disappointed so little happened, but then I sort of wished te film were shorter, if that was the only story he wanted to tell? I almost think that was an artistic choice, though. Like, disappointment in thinking something exciting is going to happen, but then, just like in life, everything just returns to normal because life is boring and pointless?

I need to see it again. 8/10 for now. If you had caught me leaving the theatre last night I would have sad 4/10, so there's that.
>>
>>64311452
I was originally supposed to be only 40 minutes long:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/anomalisa/charlie-kaufmans-anomalisa

>The film will be approximately 40 minutes in length.
>>
>>64311631
It would have been better that way.
It was adapted from a short radio play, it'd be only logical to make it into a short film.
>>
>>64311452
>Like, disappointment in thinking something exciting is going to happen, but then, just like in life, everything just returns to normal because life is boring and pointless?

That's what I got out of it, too. The breakfast scene, which is where that aspect starts, was my favorite.
>>
>>64308776
>It was fucking beautiful, even if anti-climatic. Would not recommend to anyone going through serious shit in their lives, this is better off left for a few months after the serious shit in that time where you can appreciate feeling bad again as part of who you are.
Every Kaufman film?
>>
I did love how, even late into the film, Kaufman keeps poking fun at his own artistic decisions (Tom Noonan's voice) with shit like the MC's being hesitant to speak at first, like you're expecting him to sound different. And the argument between the couple in the hallway, with the initial implication that it's a gay couple, revealed to be a woman with Noonan voicing her.

Damn I really liked this movie.
>>
>>64312615
Also the bit where he calls the ex girlfriend and asks to speak with her.
>>
What is the thing with the voices? Is it to point out that all people sound the same to him?
>>
>>64313908
Yeah, everyone is boring and annoying him and "sounds the same", if you will. Ironic then that he is apparently a master of empathy and customer service to a guru-like level. And his techniques are apparently very effective, everyone has productivity up by 90%.

He's initially attracted to Lisa because she's different, he even says he can't figure it out, but she's just different to him and that excites him to the point that he's willing to upend his entire life to be with her.

Then, tragically, as soon as it began, she begins to sound like everyone else, and the spark is gone.
>>
>>64313997
Thank you and I agree with you.
>>
>>64311452
> If you had caught me leaving the theatre last night

Did you drop by a thread here where the OP was asking what he should think of the movie?
Iirc you didn't like the movie very much and were still bummed about the long traffic you had to endure.

Glad to see that people here actually have opinions about this gorgeous little movie.
>>
>>64308776
That looks watchable enough. How's the sound?
>>
>>64314628
Mediocre. But the movie is watchable.
>>
>>64309144
How do you know he's being sincere?
>>
>>64314764
Because it permeates throughout his films and interviews.
>>
>>64314931
What if it's all an act?
>>
>>64314956
Who knows. It's just my impression.
>>
is the animation as good as Team America was
>>
>>64315058
Worse
>>
>>64315058
Pretty good, especially in the puppet sex scene.
>>
>>64314594
Nah, wasn't me. I came home and went right to sleep after the film.
>>
File: stupidassholes.jpg (64 KB, 640x432) Image search: [Google]
stupidassholes.jpg
64 KB, 640x432
Paid? I'm Kaufman. Dumbass.
>>
>>64315058
Team America wasn't animated
>>
>>64316500
Just as animated as this was. Puppetry is a type of animation you fucking idiot.
>>
>>64316555
So stop motion animation and string puppetry are the same thing because they both use puppets

okay, sure

I'm the fucking idiot, sure
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.