[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What the fuck happened to lightsaber duels
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5
File: TRAITOR.gif (1 MB, 500x233) Image search: [Google]
TRAITOR.gif
1 MB, 500x233
This movie has lightsaber duels wrong.

A lightsaber can cut through fucking anything. There is no need do swing it like a fucking Claymore.
No matter how much force you put into it, it's always gonna cut your target. You can even slightly touch it and it's gonna cut it.

So why are the characters fighting like they're using real swords?

Light saber duels are all about agility and speed, not about power. Like rapier dueling.

This is how it's supposed to look like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq51w34Hg9I
>>
Cry me a fucking river, Reddit.
>>
>>64280358

I thought so too but sabers are shown to have some difficult cutting through certain metals.
>>
>>64280358

That fight is so shit... it literally made me long for Prequel fights when I did a rewatch of all the SW movies.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-DeI3ohVbY

Still the best duel desu senpai baka
>>
>So why are the characters fighting like they're using real swords?

They aren't so please guys don't fill this thread with your shit opinions of what constitutes realistic swordfighting.

They fought like amateurs at the start of their training arcs with blatant stage fighting.
>>
>>64280358
That little spin Obi-Wan does at 0:36, turning his back to his opponent for no reason
>>
File: 1266168803121.jpg (56 KB, 486x431) Image search: [Google]
1266168803121.jpg
56 KB, 486x431
>>64282173
yea it's so shit that it worked. Get good.
>>
File: MagnaGuard.jpg (24 KB, 500x475) Image search: [Google]
MagnaGuard.jpg
24 KB, 500x475
Lightsabers can cut through anything!
>>
>>64282173

Obi-one cut Annikin's legs off in the previous film. He's literally just taunting him the whole battle in ep4. Obi would have fucking shreked Vader if he wanted to, but he wanted to teach him a lesson.
>>
>>64280358
>A lightsaber can cut through fucking anything.
Empire Strikes Back

>There is no need do swing it like a fucking Claymore.
Empire Strikes Back

>No matter how much force you put into it, it's always gonna cut your target. You can even slightly touch it and it's gonna cut it.
Empire Strikes Back

>So why are the characters fighting like they're using real swords?
Empire Strikes Back

>Light saber duels are all about agility and speed, not about power. Like rapier dueling.
Empire Strikes Back
>>
Lightsabers can't cut through lightsabers!
>>
>>64283428

What are you referring to in ESB?
>>
File: 985416-ig_100_magna_guard.jpg (123 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
985416-ig_100_magna_guard.jpg
123 KB, 1024x768
>>64280358
>>
>>64280358
A lightsaber cannot instantly cut through anything, as evident by the droideka shields and the vaulted door in TPM.

Kylo uses his saber like a claymore because he's a "knight of ren" and is mostly untrained. Also putting force behind your swings does make blocking it harder,
>>
>>64283481

Luke has a full swing against a rail with his lightsaber in the OT and doesn't cut through.
>>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RFYoZ7H67A

3:43 onwards when Luke hits the bridge railings.

>through fucking anything

Fuck you and close this thread.
>>
>>64281151
>not https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RFYoZ7H67A
>dat music and rage when Darth starts to talk about turning Leia.
>>
>prequel babby

Have you even watched the OT? Lightsaber duels were slow as fuck.

Lightsabers are actually really heavy. I'm not making this shit up. Something to do with their internal mechanics.
>>
I'd rather not have a bunch of flipping and spinning nonsense tbhonest family members.
>>
>>64283481
the lightsaber duel
>>
>>64280358
God i forgot how shitty these movies are.
Why do you autists like them?
>>
>>64283663
THIS

This "lightsaber cut through anything why swing hard" meme needs to die. George has always described them as being very heavy and having a lot of power. The reason the fights are different in the PT is because highly trained jedi are using them in their prime. But even then, like in ep1, Qui Gon needs to use a lot of force to cut a hole in a metal door.
>>
>>64280358
realistically, a saber duel between two masters would not flashy at all
they would not even ignite their sabers until the last moment of striking and then one would die and the other would win
>>
File: 1439264075478.png (128 KB, 604x493) Image search: [Google]
1439264075478.png
128 KB, 604x493
>>64283663
>>64284020
>can sever limbs
>can't cut through flimsy railings apparently
>>
>>64283559
Why did those robots need robes?
>>
>>64284020
The prequel light saber nonsense needs to be completely trashed
>>
>>64280358
maybe the crystals are wearing out?
>>
>>64283644
Yet every other scene shows him or Vader cutting through a rail or a tube. Its how the movie was filmed.

Earlier in the movie on hoth, luke all but tapped the panel of the imperial walker and it blew off, allowing him to throw in a grenade.

Lightsabers are inconsistent narratively, but serve as a nice cinematic piece. (A severed arm bleeds when it should have been cauterized, but Luke's hand does not spray blood from either direction.)
>>
>>64280358
Duel in FA was pretty awesome. They finally learn after 123. Eat shit
>Like rapier dueling.
Rey use this move.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.