[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The other day, I went to go see TFA with a girl who had never
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 20
File: 1445451755448.jpg (268 KB, 1080x1350) Image search: [Google]
1445451755448.jpg
268 KB, 1080x1350
The other day, I went to go see TFA with a girl who had never seen a single Star Wars movie in her life.

She literally knew nothing about it. She had no idea who any of the old characters are. She knew who Darth Vader was in the sense that she could recognize him if you showed her a picture, but she didn't know that he was Luke's father or that he was a fallen Jedi or any of that.

It made me realize that despite mostly being a "soft reboot", they really don't go easy on new viewers at all. She couldn't stand the part where Han and Chewie walk onto the Falcon and loud, dramatic music starts playing because the movie acts like you're supposed to know who these guys are, but they haven't told us yet. Even after they explain who Han is, she still doesn't see why he's so important other than him being Kylo Ren's father.

I think all the stuff about Luke Skywalker really bothered her. The characters couldn't go 20 minutes without asking "Where's Luke?", meanwhile she's asking "Who is Luke and why does everyone want to find him so badly?"

I guess they know their main audience and are willing to play up the nostalgia as much as possible, but it's so weird for a movie like this to come out 30 years after the one that came before it and not give a little explanation to the people watching who had never seen the previous films.
>>
Here's your reply
>>
This is actually pretty interesting. A lot of the film is reliant on you having atleast average to above average knowledge of the previous films. I don't consider that a bad thing at all, but what do people in India and China think of it? I can't imagine everyone over there going to see it has seen the other movies.
>>
this is so that people who know nothing about it will think 'there is a whole universe (franchise) to this that I know nothing about', and go out and buy other star wars stuff.
>>
File: finn the jedi.jpg (162 KB, 736x920) Image search: [Google]
finn the jedi.jpg
162 KB, 736x920
this shit could have been boiled down to your first line and last paragraph.In my city they were showing the whole sage in theater a couple of weeks before VII and i rewatched it with friends.she had one job.
>>
File: He's_right_you_know.jpg (52 KB, 640x478) Image search: [Google]
He's_right_you_know.jpg
52 KB, 640x478
>>64269372
He's right you know
>>
>>64269586
>this shit could have been boiled down to your first line and last paragraph.
I'm sorry I offended you. Still, you always had the option to just not read my post if you didn't want to.

>In my city they were showing the whole sage in theater a couple of weeks before VII and i rewatched it with friends.she had one job.
She was never even planning to see it. We were on a date already and ran out of stuff to do, so we figured we'd see a movie. Star Wars was the only thing showing with a convenient showtime for us, probably because it had so many more showings than anything else currently in the theater.

Clearly, the theaters expect people to go and see it on a whim, otherwise they wouldn't overload their schedules with showtimes for it.
>>
>>64269372
>I think all the stuff about Luke Skywalker really bothered her. The characters couldn't go 20 minutes without asking "Where's Luke?", meanwhile she's asking "Who is Luke and why does everyone want to find him so badly?"

The opening scrawl covers that.
>>
>>64269732
It does, but to somebody who's not familiar with Star Wars it's not really comprehensible.

It's like if somebody told you that they don't understand chemistry at all and so you just throw a chemistry textbook at them and say "here you go, there's chemistry".
>>
>>64269732

The dumb niggerettes that OP is "dating" probably can't read anon
>>
File: 786902_1311836465338_full~01.jpg (20 KB, 304x380) Image search: [Google]
786902_1311836465338_full~01.jpg
20 KB, 304x380
>>64269372
Good point but then I'm pretty sure she'd be just as baffled watching Episode I.

Not to mention bored for like 90+% of it.
>>
>>64269372
>I went to go see TFA with a girl
almost had me, virgin
>>
>>64269799
She's white, actually. But I'm black.
>>
Is your gf literally 4 years old? Because my 7 years old nephew who also never seen Star Wars knows who Luke Skywalker is.
>>
>>64269372
How did Poe survive the crash?
>>
FONT
>>
>>64269836
Then your 7 year old nephew has been exposed to the individual characters and their backstories in some way. Probably because he's a child and children love Star Wars, regardless of whether they've seen the movies or not.
>>
>>64269863
He got blasted to safety.... without his jacket.

I don't fucking know.
>>
File: no not my nigga.jpg (8 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
no not my nigga.jpg
8 KB, 225x225
>>64269863
just like finn but not as close distance wise.
>>64269835
>being black but dating and girl who dont know about star wars
>>
>>64269372
>Watching a movie with a woman
>>
so did u fuck her
>>
>>64269496
Even though I've seen all the other movies I was still confused by a lot of it. For over a week I thought they blew up Coruscant and a lot of nearbye planets in the same system, but instead it turns out they introduced a whole new system called Hosnian just to blow it up for the movie. When I thought it was Coruscant I was actually invested because that would be a major setting game-changer, even moreso than the destruction of Vulcan in Star Trek. Turns out it was just another Adleraan.

Then there is the whole relationship between the Republic, the First Order, and the Resistance. It made sense after somebody explained it to me but the movie NEVER explains it, like it expected you to do your homework before showing up or something. The Prequels had this problem when it came to the operations of the Republic Senate.

For those of you that don't know: The Empire falls, becomes the First Order, and fucks off to a much smaller section of space which it continues to rule with an Iron Fist. The New Republic takes over the core worlds and other parts of what used to be the Old Republic and Empire while approving new exploration and expansion. Both factions have fleet-size limits as a part of a peace treaty and a ban on WMDs. Leia and several others know that the space-Nazis will keep to a disarmament treaty about as honestly as real Nazis did they start arming up to prepare for when The First Order decides to reveal the hidden fleets they've been making, although it turns out they were also secretly making a Starkiller (although that should have been outside their means, but whatever). Leia and some Republic supporters covertly form "The Resistance" which isn't so much pro-Republic as it is anti-First Order. They are referred to as "liars, murderers, and traitors" because they are flagrantly in violation of a treaty, although that seems ultimately hypocritical coming from the assholes who run a fucking Starkiller.
>>
great thread. We definitely needed another one about Star Wars
>>
>>64269372
It's a sequel what the fuck did you expect?
>>
>>64269372
Episode VII
>VII
>>
>>64269835
what did your girlfriends husband think of the movie?
>>
>>64269958
It's a sequel released 30 years after it's predecessor.

You really don't know shit about hollywood marketing, do you? Not even as much as the average person should know.
>>
File: t-rex-shower-curtain-1300px.jpg (41 KB, 1300x1353) Image search: [Google]
t-rex-shower-curtain-1300px.jpg
41 KB, 1300x1353
>>64269372
A: Dump that bitch

B: It's the same as A New Hope. Nobody knew who "Old Ben Kenobi" was until he literally told Luke. Han in TFA has enough dialogue, and supporting dialogue, to make you understand the character.

"You're Han Solo! The famous smuggler"
"14 Parsecs." "12"
"She doesn't want to see me"
"The face of my son"

etc. Your girlfriend is a retard and you are too OP for making this thread. Your girlfriend would probably watch Indiana Jones The Last Crusade and be upset because they're after some cup the entire movie.
>>
It's a continuation of a series. Why wouldnt it be based on the previous movies? It's like going to see just return of the king and be like "why is that stupid ring so important."
>>
>>64269372
stop posting.
>>
>>64269372
Sounds like she's just a retard who lives under a rock. I've never seen any of the star wars flicks before TFA, but I knew the basics of the Star Wars story and characters just from pop culture references over the years.
>>
>>64269372
Sounds kind of like she's a bit of a dipshit. It's a sequel to an overwhelmingly popular movie series; and even without prior knowledge, context clues make things pretty fucking obvious.
>>
>>64270034
>A: Dump that bitch
>dump someone because they haven't seen a movie

Us nerds amiright?
>>
>>64270209
manchild detected
>>
>>64270150
Not everybody spent their adolescence on an anime image board though.
>>
>>64269372
>I think all the stuff about Luke Skywalker really bothered her. The characters couldn't go 20 minutes without asking "Where's Luke?", meanwhile she's asking "Who is Luke and why does everyone want to find him so badly?"

What is it with people and that? He's fucking important, that's all you need to know, why does everyone need to know the entire goddamn backstory to understand the plot? Why does everything need to be fucking spelled out as soon as it's brought up? Just watch the goddamn movie.
>>
>>64269372
Its a sequel to whats probably the biggest franchise of all time that came out over 30 years ago. Your girlfriend is anomalous in her not having seen or not knowing anything about the franchise. Also:
>seeing part 7
>without parts 1-6
>expecting them to rehash all of the important events of the last 16ish hours of film so that you can follow the new one without watching them.
>>
>>64270315
>What is it with people and that? He's fucking important, that's all you need to know
That's pretty bad writing though.
>>
>>64269372
It's called star wars VII, the other movies are available to anyone who whishes to see them

why would you go see a sequel and expect everything to be exposed to you
>>
>>64270453
/thread

If you're expecting to understand "Episode 7" of anything, you might want to at least get cliff notes of 1-6...
>>
>>64270453
Thats what I'm saying. We are 7 installments in, thats way to much exposition to bring somebody who never saw the first 6 up to speed. Its OP and his girls fault for starting at part 7 and expecting to be spoon fed 6 films worth of plot.
>>
This movie barely makes sense if you've seen the other movies anyway, OP. The character motivations are wildly inconsistent, the movie never spends any time on world building, and the narrative completely forgets what it was doing (looking for Luke) around the rathtar scene, then just picks up a totally different plot (Starkiller Base) instead.

She'd be confused even if she was a Star Wars nerd. I've seen every movie at least ten times and I'm mostly up to date on the new canon, and even I struggled to piece together a coherent plot.
>>
>I went to see Harry Potter movie 7 without seeing 1-6 and they didn't even explain who this Harry person is and why we should care about him. Smdh f4m
>>
just like JJ when he pull the Khan twist out of his ass, nobody except Star Trek fans care about who he is. I was like "who?"
>>
>Who is Luke and why does everyone want to find him so badly?

Why DOES everyone want to find him so badly?
>>
>>64270559
HP7 wasn't a reboot or reinstallment. I mean ffs there wasn't even a new cast.

SW7 is essentially a blank slate and specifically aimed to draw in a new crowd.
>>
>>64270563
He's waldo
>>
>>64270238
Never seen [insert endless list of movies and series that reference Star Wars] ?
>>
>>64270406
They explain that he's a guy who trains Jedi, and they say his name about a hundred times in the movie, and everyone is looking for him, so he's obviously like a really powerful good guy that can help them out, and the old people (Han and Leia) seem to speak of him fondly so they obviously know him as a friend. What more needs to be said for what is obviously a plot device to keep the story?

Do we need to have Han Solo stare at the camera and say "Luke Skywalker was the main character in the last three movies and is Darth Vader's son." What exactly does that add to the story at all?
>>
>>64270563
They want him to train a new generation of Jedi, but he's not willing to risk it again while Snoke is on the loose
>>
>>64269372
It's called Episode 7. Only a fool would jump into a story developed over 6 movies and expect to be told what was going on. There is no reason for a recapitulation of that magnitude.
>>
>>64270647
>Never seen [insert endless list of movies and series that reference Star Wars] ?

I tend to only watch good movies.
>>
>>64269863
It was all part of his master plan.
>>
also the movie isn't trying to convey a complicated message or anything, it doesn't try to be anything else than a cool action sci fi movie with star wars on the poster to be sure that everybody will see it. it's some kind of easy listening for movies.
Directors are suffering from sutdios limiting them in their creativity and expression and you would want a super franchise hollywood blockbuster movie that is basically trying to sell you toys to be even more contrived in what it is allowed or not to do?

are you askng to be brainwashed?
>>
>>64269863
Real question is why was Finn able to run what looked like 2 miles+ to crash site all while not thinking Poe also was ejected to a remote location and then trek to a city before a single storm trooper made it to the planet or even fly over the area to check the wreckage site
>>
>>64269372
I'm sorry OP, but this girl sounds like a dumbass. If you told her that Luke is the protagonist of the previous three movies, and that he's basically Jedi Jesus at this point, then it should be obvious why people wanna find him.

Also, how the fuck haven't she seen the Star Wars movies yet? Is she a baby? They're classics, and the special effects still hold up pretty well by modern standards.

I concede that Han Solo might have been hard to get for her though. (My sister, who also haven't seen the previous movies, didn't have a problem with that all though. So yeah, I think your date was just kinda stupid.)
>>
>>64270034
I agree. She probably was mad you dragged her there and she was being a Grade A bitch
>>
>>64269792
Good excuse for her to go back and watch the original movies then. Unless she doesn't actually care and want to be spoonfed everything. Fucking normalfags.
>>
>>64269985
>It's a sequel released 30 years after it's predecessor.
It's the 7th movie in the most famous movie franchise of all time.
>>
>>64270595
You are a motard.
>>
>>64270563
He's the mcguffin
>>
>>64269372
>they LITERALLY sit the main character down and explain who Luke is and why he's important
>"Who is Luke and why does everyone want to find him so badly?"
>>
File: dunno.png (18 KB, 560x407) Image search: [Google]
dunno.png
18 KB, 560x407
Girls are retarded and don't watch Star Wars because they're into 'art' and adventure movies are 'stupid' and 'boring'. I know at least two girls who think that way and refuse to watch Star Wars even though I urged them to do so.
>>
>>64270859
BB-8 is the maguffin, nice try though.
>>
>>64269372
probably because it's a sequel
>>
>>64270889
Can you introduce me to these girls so I can watch art films with them instead of dumb flicks like Star Wars?
>>
>>64270710
I guess you wouldn't watch Alien, Back to the Future, E.T., Goonies, Raiders of the Lost Arc, Seven, Toy Story, Up or Wall-E.
>>
>>64270920
I watch art films with them too. I just appreciate both kinds of cinema and sometimes I just want to grab a beer and watch some stupid flick.
>>
>>64269940
>Then there is the whole relationship between the Republic, the First Order, and the Resistance. It made sense after somebody explained it to me but the movie NEVER explains it
This is perhaps my greatest complaint about TFA. I get that they wanted a lesser focus on politics than the prequel, but the movie needed to establish what has changed since last movie more comprehensively before delving into it. Like, the New Republic ISN'T at war with what is obviously the remainder of the Empire?

>Both factions have fleet-size limits as a part of a peace treaty and a ban on WMDs
What? WHY? Why the fuck didn't they just demolish them while they had the chance?
>>
tl;dr force awakens banks on nostalgia; otherwise it cannot stand on its own

This is exactly what Lucas meant when he said this is the kind of film that fans want (and not much else)
>>
>>64270952
Episode 7 is a disastrous movie. It is vague, rushed, badly edited, pitiful character development and filled with horribly loud generic music except for maybe 40 seconds total
>>
>>64270952
ANH didn't go into that much detail about what happened in the prequels, in fact it went into even LESS detail and it was fine. The New Order are the bad guys and the Resistance are the good guys. There, that's the politics of the movie.
>>
>>64269372
Well they had two options. Make TFA the way they did and not go easy on new viewers, or they could have went very easy on new viewers and should like 30-45 minutes of backstory. I get what your saying but it is Episode 7 and 1-6 are easy to find. There's too much backstory to try to help new viewers catch up in one movie. If she was interested she should have at least watched the OT or even used Wikipedia to get a quick summary. If she wasn't interested enough to do that then she really doesn't seem to care anyway so why is she complaining.
>>
>>64270595
There wasn't a recast here either, the original actors/actresses came back to play their original roles. Next time she drops into the middle of a film series she should at least read a synopsis of the previous films first.
>>
>>64269372
>It made me realize that despite mostly being a "soft reboot", they really don't go easy on new viewers at all.

It really doesn't. I saw this in Korea, and pretty much the whole theater (which was only a quarter full) didn't really get what was going on.

Like, they got the general jist, but a lot of the movie just movie just flies over your head if you haven't been immersed in Star Wars since your childhood.

The friend I saw it with (a Korean who doesn't speak English) said he felt like there was a big part missing from the movie, like it was the big joke that everyone was supposed to be in on, and he wasn't. He said it ultimately ruined his enjoyment of the film. And he's totally right, there are tons of jokes and parts of the film that you won't get if you don't already know.

The film does try to explain things, but there's a big difference between being told Han Solo is this legendary guy, and knowing Han Solo is this legendary guy. For the first time viewer, Han Solo is just this weird grandpa character who is desperately convince people he was once a real cool dude.

I feel like it's a real shame that they relied so heavily on nostalgia that they've alienated a huge portion of the movie-going audience out there. This would be the perfect jumping on point for new fans. Instead, it's just loads of fan service. I have other friends who said they won't see it because they don't want to have to watch six hours plus of films (twelve or more if you do the prequels, yeah?) and read up and learn the "lore" just to feel like you have a grasp of what's going on. Compare that to Star Wars 77: you're thrown into the middle of the story, but you're eased into it. The characters give explanations as to what's what. This film doesn't.

Ultimately, this is why TFA isn't doing as well outside of the US.
>>
>>64270889
Fuck you and your children movies. Grow the fuck up, or at least don't try to make others watch your Peado Pan-tier shit flicks.
>>
>>64269372

>going to watch a continuation of the biggest cultural thing in decades
>complain when you can't follow

fuck that bitch desu
>>
>>64271070
And Europe. But that's enough really, that's where the real money is.
>>
>>64270551
>the narrative completely forgets what it was doing (looking for Luke) around the rathtar scene, then just picks up a totally different plot (Starkiller Base) instead.
This is a very good point. In ANH, it made sense because it was after rescuing Leia ON-BOARD the death star that we're introduced to the next goal, the death star itself. (That, and the Leia situation was then resolved.)

It's especially bad since Starkiller base, an obviously ridiculously expensive and impressive weapon, is swept under the rug in less than a movie's worth. In ANH, the whole movie is about the death star. In TFA, it just kinda appears out of nowhere and then promptly gets demolished.

Even the "planning" scene feels dumb compared to ANH. The Resistance just has a brain-storming session and figures out the weakness in like 10 minutes, then take off. In ANH, there are obviously experts and leaders detailing what it going to happen, they don't rely on some random stormtrooper defector's account of where the "occiliator" is and then just wing it from there.
>>
>>64270920
>can't understand even plot points that are cleary explained
>doesn't get why she can't follow part 7 with no knowledge of 1-6
>is genuinely upset at the lack of spoon feeding
I'm sure she'd be a joy to watch "art films" with.
>>
>>64270034
fucking KEK
>>
>>64271070
I don't know why it was filled with so much nostalgic trickery and homages ... The movie isn't doing well outside of USA (if that is true at all) because foreign audiences are more likely to see the movie for the garbage it is
>>
>>64271139
Are you retarded? You can't even follow a simple convo?
>>
>>64270952
Didn't really seem necessary to me. New Republic got lazy after rotj. First order used that to secretly build their power, Resistance forms to go around new republics ineptitude to stop them. Its just there so they can set up the basic star wars good vs evil dynamic again.
>>
>>64271116
A storm trooper they blindly trust immediately. Movie is made for impressionable teenagers who don't question reality, only follow like sheep
>>
>>64271019
>30-45 minutes of backstory
Or they could include little lines of dialogue, like ANH did, and rely less on the "old legends" for their story. Like, I'm not even sure Han Solo and Leia and Chewbacca and C3P0 and R2 and the Millennium Falcon (and the Death Star and Darth Vader and Luke's lightsaber and whatever else I might have missed that they dug up from the old films and stuck into this one) should even be in this story beyond being maybe a passing reference. The hunt for Luke is fine, but instead of that being what the entire film is about, maybe just make it a smaller part of the story, like Luke finding Kenobi was in ANH (no, I'm not saying it should be more like ANH). Then Luke could be used to introduce things to the new audience by telling them to the new characters (sort of like what Kenobi did with Luke).
>>
>>64271197
I bet that's your response for most topics.
>>
>>64271211
Or they could have hired a different director. J.J. Abrams is a mook
>>
>>64271070
Would you prefer they spent a quarter of the movie or probably even more trying to explain the backstory of 6 fucking movies. I'm sorry but your friend is clearly an idiot. It's the 7th movie. All you have to watch is the OT and your good. Not to mention the fact that the OT is enjoyable and holds up despite being as old as it is. That's like complaining that you went to see the last Harry Potter movie without reading any books or watching any other movie and complaining that you didn't understand what was going on.
>>
>>64271011
>ANH didn't go into that much detail about what happened in the prequels
No, of course not, because it was the first movie. Sequels don't have that luxury.

>The New Order are the bad guys and the Resistance are the good guys. There, that's the politics of the movie.
And that would be fine if there weren't 6 fucking movies worth of backstory already well-established.
>>
>>64271241
Give it time, people will eventually notice how shoddy this movie was made. It is still in the hyper-group mentality phase of "Oh man Star Wars...such a good movie"
>>
>>64269835
>>64269799

What the fuck are you on about? African American nerds are one of the Star Wars fanbase's strongest demographics
>>
>>64269496

There isn't a shoehorned scene in China so the Chinese don't care.
>>
>>64271070
>For the first time viewer, Han Solo is just this weird grandpa character who is desperately convince people he was once a real cool dude.
What would you have them do them? Remove him from the movie? Have cheesy flashbacks from the OT?

> I have other friends who said they won't see it because they don't want to have to watch six hours plus of films (twelve or more if you do the prequels, yeah?) and read up and learn the "lore" just to feel like you have a grasp of what's going on.
That's part of the appeal of a franchise like this, that there IS a ton of background material that explains nearly everything you can imagine. These friends of yours seem like a bunch of normalfags honestly, perhaps you ought to have some higher standards.

Also
>I saw this in Korea
Not surprised that a non-western audience finds Star Wars puzzling. TFA was pretty much trash, I think we can all agree no that, but it certainly wasn't because of "nostalgia pandering".
>>
>>64270560

He also tried to portray Khan as like a comic book villain. Even if you're a Star Trek fan that scene felt irrelevant because they rushed explaining Khan's context (which was built up a lot better in the original series and movies). That and the lack of a background dealing with Kirk made him much less intimidating. And the fact that he was played by a gonky alien looking nerd.
>>
>>64271070
So did nobody in this thread watch Episode IV, where huge chunks of backstory and character motivations were left unexplained?

>why does darth want to kill obi wan
>why does obi wan know who luke is
>what were the clone wars
>who is this scary cloaked guy who talks to darth vader
>what is the force
>where do stormtroopers come from
>why is darth vader so pissed all the time

All these things are technically explained in the prequels and you need to know none of them to understand the OT, because the movie isn't about that stuff, it's about Luke Skywalker going on a space adventure with a bunch of strangers. For a soft reboot, the main plot, the one regarding the new characters, is the only one that matters, and it's pretty fucking simple to follow. Hell they even do you the courtesy of explaining Kylo Ren's motivations, Luke's significance, and Solo/Leia's relationship, and they didn't even need to.

The good guys are good and the bad guys are bad. A young new hero is caught up in a large scale conflict they don't fully understand. VIII isn't fucking about Luke Skywalker just like IV wasn't about Obi Wan, even though they were both important characters with a lot of implied history in their respective movies.
>>
>>64270791
My suspension of disbelief would be broken if the nigger was able of complex thought like that.
>>
>>64271263
See
>>64271211

They didn't need to spend a quarter of the movie explaining the backstory.

They needed to rely less on the backstory and nostalgia for the story of this film.

They made these brand new characters but, ultimately, TFA isn't the story of Finn, Rey, Poe, Kylo Ren, or even BB-8. It's the story of Han Solo, and to fully grasp that story, you need to know his background, which means you need to see Episodes 4 to 6. The story is the closing of his character arc, the last chapter, and you need to have read the first chapter to even get it.
>>
>>64271380
One of few posts that make any sense. Disney is the master of advertisement and hype.
>>
>>64269372
its a fucking sequel. if the cunt doesn't know what happened in the previous films then, yes, she will struggle to understand this one. its like any other franchise.
>>
>>64271437
My disbelief only ended when the credits started rolling. Hahaha
>>
>>64271173
>New Republic got lazy after rotj
Then this needed to be established. Instead, we only hear that Leia (despite being probably the founder of the New Republic) slipped out and formed the resistance on the side, while the dumbasses of the new republic get fucking disintegrated when star killer base destroys their one central solar system.

>>64271197
Reminds me, I recently tried to watch that Maze Runner sequel, but I just can't get over stupid shit like naming the villain corporation "W.I.C.K.E.D" and then acting all serious about it. I think it's a genre in itself, isn't it? Same with that Divergence movie, same "teenagers yell a lot and save the world in the process! :D:D" garbage. I suppose TFA is sorta aimed at the same audience. That makes sense honestly, explains a lot.
>>
>>64271380
>Remove him from the movie?
Yes. Or, make him less the focus of the film. He steals the story away from the new characters the moment he gets on board.

>That's part of the appeal of a franchise like this, that there IS a ton of background material that explains nearly everything you can imagine
Well, except they've tossed the EU, so almost all those explanations aren't "canon" any more.

Thing is, with the old films, you didn't need to know the backstory or even the name of the Walrus faced alien Luke meets in the Cantina to enjoy it. You don't even need to know that much about Kenobi. With this film, if you don't already know the old characters' stories, you get left in the dust.
>>
File: 1429693771140.jpg (24 KB, 488x488) Image search: [Google]
1429693771140.jpg
24 KB, 488x488
>>64271070
>Seeing TFA in Worst Korea
>>
>>64271414
You get told enough.

Kenobi good. Darth bad.

He says in the movie that he knew Luke's father.

Wars fought by Kenobi and Luke's father in the past.

The person who betrayed the Jedi and killed Luke's dad (this becomes a lie later).

>what is the force
Space magic. Kenobi describes it.

They're soldiers. They come for boot camp.

He's a bad guy. Bad guys aren't happy dudes usually.

With this one, unless you've seen Han Solo go from being a scoundrel to a good dude, you're missing out.
>>
>>64271507
True. Episode 7 is filled with such visual vomit. Starkiller shoots essentially a light beam weapon to very disrant star systems ... It would take the beam years to reach. I won't even begin to question why Han Solo and friends were able to see every explosion.
>>
>>64271566
Well meme'd, friend.
>>
>>64271566
Hehehehe
>>
File: 1450717969571.jpg (88 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1450717969571.jpg
88 KB, 900x900
>>64269835
I have a white girlfriend and I'm black
>>
>>64270563
He's space Jesus.
>>
File: 391956_1267882937819_full[1].jpg (94 KB, 1600x674) Image search: [Google]
391956_1267882937819_full[1].jpg
94 KB, 1600x674
Shit when I was a kid I didn't understand or care about any of the politics in the original 1977 Star Wars. I didn't get why Obi Wan let Vader do him like that. There's always going to be unanswered questions which will be resolved in later episodes. Just turn your fucking brain off and enjoy the ride and hope for some good surprises in Ep. 8 that'll clear some shit up.

If Ep. 7 was the first Star Wars I saw this is what I would know:
1. The First Order bad
2. Poe good
3. Finn good
4. Rey good
5. BB-8 knows where Luke is, learn about that later I guess, no biggie
6. Kylo bad
7. Han and Chewie good, except to Kanjiclub and those Scotsmen
8. Who's this Luke guy again?
9. Hux bad
10. Starkiller base must be destroyed, cool
11. Resistance and Rebels, Poe is with them, neat
12. Snoke, definitely bad
13. Maz, who the fuck is this and why should I care?
14. Confusing shit with lightsabers
15. Rey gives some old fart on a hill a lightsaber, I guess that's Luke. Cool.
16. Luke has a robotic hand, is he half cyborg or something? I guess I'll find out about him in Ep. 9
Fixed that for ya. My friend's 9 year old stepdaughter figured all that shit out and loved the movie.
>>
>>64271347

I know the urban market likes movies because the urban market stole my TV.
>>
>>64271616
TFA tries to explain things, too. The problem is that the film is paced entirely too fast that you miss out on explanations.

Like, Maz Kanata says what the Force is (she basically gives Kenobi's "binds and penetrates us" speech), but you'll miss it because it all just goes by so fast.

If they didn't cram so much into this movie, and maybe took their time with it, it'd work a lot better. Toning it down on the nostalgia would also help.
>>
>>64271727
Too bad Rey is related to Emperor Palpatine.
>>
>>64271414
Because Obi-Wan is aiding the rebels, and Vader supposedly killed Luke's father? It's well established why.

He's a "friend of the family" is what we're served early on, especially considering he knew his father.

Some war that happened earlier, not really directly relevant within the scope of the first movie.

lel, shows what you know. Sheev isn't in the first movie, he only shows up in ESB.

>what is the force
It's MEANT to be a mystery, but obviously some religious/spiritual stand-in, that enables Luke to succeed because of his righteousness. What exactly did you expect? A lecture on the physics of it all?

What? They're obviously military recruits. Not sure what you mean by this.

He is clearly evil (also, his identity is one of the central plot points that gets expanded on in the sequels, not everything needs to be resolved within the same movie)

>For a soft reboot
That's were you are mistaken. This isn't a reboot, it's obviously a continuation. Otherwise, they wouldn't have the same fucking actors playing the same old characters. Sure, you're gonna tell me that that's what "soft" means, but in practical terms, there seems to be a very little distinction between a direct sequel and a "soft" reboot then. Anyway, semantics. The point is, if this had been a new movie, it would have been fine to leave things out, but since it's based on an existing universe, some things need to be addressed.
>>
>>64271767
Yea I agree. I posted earlier why this movie kinda sucked as a movie, ignoring fact it is star wars (which I love)
>>
>>64271777
"Soft reboot" means they reused off the plot of ANH. It's a nice way of saying "copypasta."
>>
>>64270209

I won't date a girl if she doesn't like The Princess Bride.
>>
>>64269372
It's star wars episode 7
Literally number 7. It's not a new number 1.
>>
>>64271837
JJ Abrams didn't want to risk anything new and be killed by a fan. So he played what he thought was safe. He should have stayed directing traffic not movies
>>
>>64271445
Ok but without knowing any of what happened in the previous movies you can still understand what is going on very easily. That's not what OP was complaining about. He's saying that his gf felt alienated because other people understood the references to the other movies and already knew the characters. It's not required to know that stuff to get the story but obviously it will enhance the experience. I can't reiterate it enough, it's Episode 7. If you want to understand what's going on better, don't start watching a movie franchise on the 7th episode.
>>
>>64269803
>Good point but then I'm pretty sure she'd be just as baffled watching Episode I.

Episode I is pretty stand alone in its own right. You don't really need to have seen the Original Trilogy to get the gist of it and in a way, the movie acts as the long introduction to the Galaxy that the Original Trilogy never quite had enough time to do.
>>
I was 8 years old when Attack of the Clones came out. I didn't know anything about Star Wars but I didn't want to be left out of the loop, so I went through my parent's VHS collection, found the original trilogy, and then watched them.

Why can't other people bring themselves to watch the critically acclaimed entries in a massively hyped franchise?
>>
>>64271949

Not everyone's parents watched Star Wars
>>
>>64271920
She didn't wanna go and OP made her go so she decided to be a cunt. OR: she probably didn't understand and is just dumb as fuck.
>>
>>64271777
>answering the questions like I was genuinely asking them

I already know all that shit, jesus fuck people. How are you arguing with me and agreeing with my point at the same time?

>since it's based on an existing universe, some things need to be addressed

And they are, everything that is relevant to the conflict at hand is explained. The only big flaw is how melodramatic Solo's death scene was because it played off fan recognition to feel more important, but even his character is explained enough to keep the other 99% of the movie going.
>>
>>64271920
>if you want to watch the first movie of a trilogy, you have to watch a bunch of old films, first
Yes, and that's also a really stupid thing the JJ Abrams did.

Even if you watched all the old films right now, if you went to the theaters, you're still going to feel alienated because you won't feel the nostalgia the movie is trying to make you feel. If anything, you'll be more aware that this film isn't for you. That's total shit. Star Wars should be for everybody. That's what made Star Wars 77 so cool: it was a movie everyone could enjoy.
>>
Come to think of it the opening crawl is literally the worst one in the series so far, I couldnt give a shit, they could have shoe horned "Luke's father Darth Vader died, Luke is the only jedi left and tries to reform them but a guy named Carlo killed everyone
>>
>start watching a series of films with part 7
>WAAAAH WHY DO THEY ASSUME I KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON
>>
>>64272022
JJ Abrams = Exar Kun
>>
>>64271935
Yeah, you can straight up watch Episode I and, other than one or two winks (like C3P0), you can completely enjoy it.

TFA? Nah, you've got to have grown up with Star Wars to have a good time with it.
>>
>>64269372
It's your fault OP. You were suppose to explain what happened before TFA took place, explain all major recurring characters. The movie is labeled "Episode VII" for a reason.
>>
>>64272050
Not really. I didn't like it and grew up with star wars
>>
>>64272035
>start watching a series of films with part 4
>wow I completely understand what's going on
Star Wars: A New Hope.
>>
>>64272075
Part 4 was first movie, genius. With better character development and time between new information as the movie goes along. Episode 7 sucked on múltiple levels
>>
>>64270527
This. Op fucked up by taking her to 7 without first having her over to his place for 1-6.
>>
>>64272075
Me apology. I replied to wrong message
>>
>>64272129
He fucked up when he lied about his girlfriend not understanding when in fact the whole time he went by himself and did not understand the movie. Beta Max
>>
>>64271974
Exactly.
>>
>>64269372
>she didn't know that he was Luke's father

This is when I stopped believing your story. You'd have to be some kind of deaf-blind retard not to know this.
>>
>>64270527
>way too much exposition
A New Hope managed to do just fine.

It's a pacing problem mostly. They tell you what's going on, but the movie is just too much too fast, so a lot of the explanations just pass you by. That and the constant nostalgia and fanservice alienating new viewers.

The first new movie in a new trilogy should be a good jumping on point, especially when number six was over thirty years ago.
>>
>>64272342
Editing. Not pacing. I keep saying movie was garbage but so few accept this
>>
That's terrible and we should just shut down the whole film industry. Like ban cameras altogether.
>>
>>64272382
I don't think it was garbage.

It does have its flaws, and a major one is being inaccessible to new viewers.
>>
>>64272475
Can you hum the theme song for Kylo Ren? No you can't. You can't even remember it. It had flaws alright
>>
>>64269372
No fucking shit op it is called episode 7 not 1... and you took a girl to see star wars fuck good luck getting laid m8......
>>64272382
Probably because you don't work in the industry and cannot be taken seriously about it chill its a fuckin movie... stop buzz wording arguments like you know what you are talking about.
>>
>>64272022
>if you start to watch a film series on the 7th movie you should be just as caught up and feel as invested in the series as much as someone who has already seen the 6 previous movies.

I don't know what to tell you. One of the biggest draws to TFA was when they announced that the original cast members were in it. If you wanted to get as into it as some others all you had to do was watch the OT. It's 3 movies and TFA was announced over a year before its release.
>>
>>64269372
Op, just watched the 3rd lord of the rings movie withour seing 1 and 2 and it makes no sense. Why is return of the king such a bad movie that explains nothing?
>>
File: 1439778213903.gif (27 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1439778213903.gif
27 KB, 200x200
>Starts watching the seventh episode of a series of movies
>Complains that they have no idea what references to previous installments means
>>
>>64269372

nostalgia fags BTFO
>>
File: 1451362562103.jpg (34 KB, 366x340) Image search: [Google]
1451362562103.jpg
34 KB, 366x340
>>64269372
YOU CAN TELL THAT TO KANJIKLUB
>>
>>64272342
That's because New Hope was literally the first Star Wars movie ever made, retard. There was no backstory to explain beyond context from the opening crawl. Everything else was ret-conned as needed.
>>
>>64272535
I'm sure the bluray release will have many more scenes, which means they were edited out of the final cut. Reminds me of Fellowship of the Ring. The extended edition was far superior to the theatrical release
>>
Sounds like she's a dumb bitch. I can't imagine watching a movie with somebody like that.

I also can't imagine having a girlfriend, but I hope it happens eventually.
>>
>>64270927
As I said, I only watch good films.
>>
>>64272635
>I can watch Episode 1, the start of the prequel trilogy, without watching anything else
>I can watch Episode 4, the start of the original trilogy, without watching anything else
>Episode 7, the start of the new trilogy, has +12 hours of required viewing

That's a pretty big flaw. They should have approached this like those other movies hadn't been made, like the backstory exists but nobody knows what it is. Instead, you've got to do your homework, which is why it's flopped abroad and will fail (despite all the money they've wasted on promotion) in China.
>>
>>64272342
>the first new movie in a new trilogy should be a good jumping point

Yea and TFA was. There was a lot of references and call backs to the original trilogy but you didn't NEED to understand them to understand the movie. Sure it may have made the experience better to have understood the references and have the added nostalgia factor but in no way was it required to know what was going on.
>>
>>64272976
>12+ hours of required viewing

Why is that required? What was so hard to understand?
>>
>>64273005
>TFA was
Not at all, man. It's really alienating to new fans with all the nostalgia, and it's hard to catch the explanations with everything going on.
>>
>>64273005
It's practically inaccessible to the new viewers, though. It's like, if you met a group of people, and they kept making these in-jokes that you had no clue of knowing what they meant. Eventually, you'd just be like "yeah, fuck these guys" and ignore them. Same thing with this movie.

My friends said they stopped paying attention around Maz Kanata's castle. That was their give-up point.
>>
>>64270453
How could anyone expect to understand A New Hope? It's episode 4. There's no way you could understand it until 20+ years later when Lucas had released the first 3 films.
>>
>>64273101
>hard to catch the explanations

Like what? I really would like to know what part of TFA were you sitting in your chair scratching your head saying to yourself "hmmm I don't really get what's going on"
>>
>>64269372
You're right. It considers the OT necessary viewing beforehand.

>>64269835
Did you get some?
>>
>>64269372
>take gf go see tfa
>dont force her to watch all 6 movies the week prior

The fucks wrong with you OP?
>>
>>64273225
POP QUIZ
"What's a Jedi?"

In Episode 4, Kenobi defines what a Jedi is briefly but concisely. Does TFA do the same? If so, what character and what is said?
>>
File: lol_nigger.png (94 KB, 650x367) Image search: [Google]
lol_nigger.png
94 KB, 650x367
>>64269665
>>
>>64273182
No it's not like that at all. It's like a group of people came up to you and said "hey man were gonna have all these in-jokes in about a year. If you want to get in on them all you gotta do is watch these movies. If you don't want to watch the movies it's cool and you can still hang out with us but if you don't want to take a little amount of time it takes to watch 3 movies in a year then you must have not really cared about understanding our in-jokes in the first place so you shouldn't complain when they go over your head"
>>
i had the opposite expeirience, OP. i took my sister bc her boyfriend is a real fan and i wanted her to know whats hes talking about.. so we watched it and she loved it not knowing anything about the last movies .. im still gonna go watch it w my girlfriend who hasnt seen a single movie too
>>
>>64269372
You'd have a point if Star Wars wasn't one of the most popular pieces of pop culture ever. They don't need to set shit up for the five people living under a rock who somehow didn't learn this shit through, at the very least, cultural osmosis.
>>
>>64273301
So you already saw the OT? Then you would know that while Kenobi explained it briefly nobody really knew what it did or really anything about it at all except for the fact that a Lightsaber is a Jeri's weapon. We found out more when Luke went to see Yoda just like we'll find out more from Rey's visit with Luke.

Also if you have seen the OT your not even the demographic my question was for. My question was directed at people who have ONLY seen TFA.
>>
>>64269372
This movie's just not made for people that haven't seen the OT. I went to see it with my GF and my mom, she had just barely seen A New Hope before seeing TFA 30 mins. prior so she understood pretty much everything.
>>
File: image.jpg (169 KB, 1025x762) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
169 KB, 1025x762
>>64269372
>make a sequel to movie called starwars 6
>Star Wars 7
>autist takes his cuck gf to go watch a sequel she will not understand cause its a
>sequel
wew lad
>>
>7th movie in the series
>"Why isn't it setting any of this super basic shit up for me???????????????????????????????????????"
>>
>>64270034
T H I S

OP. The real reason why GF didn't understand jack shit was because she kept telling to herself:
"it's too complicated" "it's too deep"
"i don't get it because i haven't seen star wars"

It's the reason why the new generation of children isn't as attached to Star Wars as we are they think it's boring and back off. Dump her or show her the previous movies.
>>
>>64272964
You weren't born in the 2000s, were you?
>>
>>64273554
>avoids answering the question
Okay, so you don't know the answer. Only shows how fast dialogue goes by and how the information doesn't sink.

>My question was directed at people who have ONLY seen TFA.
So why reply to me? I never said I never saw Star Wars before. I was in the theater with a lot of people who didn't, a lot of them my friends (because the theater was empty because nobody here wants to see this film because it has such a barrier of entry and is so inaccessible). They left that theater completely dissatisfied in part because of how poorly the movie conveyed the information (as you've demonstrated), in part because of all the fanservice.
>>
>>64271507
Not really though? You can assume that if Leia has to go around the new republic she helped create and form her own resistance to fight the first order that something is seriously wrong. Leias always been known to get shit done.
>>
Star Wars is one of the biggest movie franchises of all time. Its the seventh movie in the franchise. It would have been a complete waste of time to explain who each character is, what the force is, and what motivates them all. Sorry your girlfriend didn't watch the previous six films before this one. That's like going to watch Return of the King and someone getting mad that they didn't take the time to explain what was going on because they didn't watch the previous films. The director knew that the majority of people watching had a general consensus of the characters in the film and opted not to explain every characters backstory to appease people who've never seen Star Wars.
>>
Its not really that complicated though. First order is bad, resistance is good. Luke is a good guy who's hiding who happens to be a Jedi. Jedi use the force, the force is shown it can do cool things in the movie. Han and chewie are war heroes, Leia is a general that used to be a princess.

The only thing the movie doesn't really explain is who Vader was and why Kylo was obsessed with him, and how Kylo has force powers if you don't know that Leia is related to Luke.
>>
>>64273735
So here's the answer to the question: The Force Awakens never tells you what a Jedi is. It gives you pretty much zero information there, despite dropping the term all the time. If the Force Awakens is your first movie, you have no clue what a Jedi is supposed to be. I think the closest you'll get is "Luke was training a new generation, now they're dead."

In contrast, Phantom Menace shows us Jedi. A New Hope tells us quite a bit about them. Through just a short bit of dialogue, we learn the Jedi were guardians who protected the old Republic for generations, that they're now nearly extinct, that they're extinct because the Empire hunted them down, that they get their power from the Force, that the lightsaber is their weapon, and that Luke's dad was one and Kenobi was one and Vader was one and Luke wants to be one. We know Jedi are these knights from days past and gone just from a little conversation with Kenobi.

Contrast that to the nothing that is said about Jedi in The Force Awakens. It's just sad you can walk away from a Star Wars movie, the first of its trilogy, and have no clue what a Jedi is supposed to be despite Jedi being a part of the plot (a BIG part of the plot). And many have walked away from The Force Awakens thinking "what the fuck is a Jedi." I know these people.
>>
>>64273735
You are literally asking the same questions people asked after seeing A New Hope the first time which only proves that it's just as easy to get into as the OT. Besides, they spent most of ANH hanging out with a Jedi master and the audience still didn't really get it until the 2nd movie. In TFA the only trained user of the force they showed was Kylo Ren and did you expect him to explain the force to any of the protagonists? Clearly if you saw TFA and didn't know what a Jedi was you would say to yourself "ok people were using some crazy abilities that apparently only people called Jedi can understand. Considering the fact the movie ended with Rey meeting with this guy Luke Skywalker I can assume that I will figure out exactly what a Jedi is and what they can do in the next movie when Luke has a much more important role."
>>
>>64274011
Literally Han Solo and Maz mention the force and the jedi together. One could assume the Jedi use the force. That's really all the explanation you need.
>>
>>64274147
>ask people "what's a jedi" after seeing a new hope
Their answer: "knights who use laser swords and space magic."

>ask people "what's a jedi" after seeing the force awakens
Their answer: "Dunno, don't care."
>>
>>64274011
>a new hope explains who Jedi are

Its because it was the first Star Wars movie to be released you dingus. It has to establish who the characters are, what the setting is etc etc. By the time TFA was released nearly everyone knows who the fuck Jedi are. The only people in this thread saying "hurr durr too hard to follow" are people who've never seen a Star Wars film. Hell, my dad who isn't even really a fan watched the previous films to catch up on what's going on. A movie franchise as big and well known as Star Wars shouldn't have to waste running time for the majority of the audience who already know who the fuck these characters are. I guranfuckingtee you that if the movie did that, people would complain that it was dumbed down to appease people who don't even like Star Wars and was dragged along to go watch it.
>>
>>64274011
Yea isn't it fucking crazy how people can walk away from the 1st movie in a trilogy and not understand one of the biggest plot points right away? It's almost like they expect people to have to see the other two movies to understand things a lot better.
>>
>>64274216
>By the time TFA was released nearly everyone knows who the fuck Jedi are.
To the vast amount of people on this planet Earth, the term "Jedi" means nothing. Most people on Earth have not seen a Star Wars.

If you've seen a Star Wars, you're in the minority. Congratulations.
>>
>>64274204
Its in the movie that Jedi are related to the force in some way. That is pretty much all you need to know at this point.
>>
>>64274257
>people walk away from a movie not knowing basic information needed for understanding the movie

Real killer movie you have there, Abrams.
>>
Wow who would've thought that 7 movies in youd need a working knowledge of Star Wars to understand what the fuck is going on.
>>
>>64274204
Lol why would the answer be different? I would draw the same conclusion from seeing both movies for the first time. They both used laser swords and space magic.
>>
>>64269496
India here. I loved it, and I've only seen the OT once and the PT never (too apprehensive to watch it). I think I got all the callbacks to the previous films, but I can't be sure.
>>
>>64274295
>film fails to briefly describe a word it's going to use throughout the film
>whenever it's used, first time viewers who ain't never heard of no star wars are left asking "what's a jedi?"
>asking questions like that in a movie is a bad thing, you want your audience to understand what characters are saying for the most part
>in the end, if you didn't know what a jedi was before the movie, you won't know during, and it kills your enjoyment
>>
>>64273805
Some things can be left up to the viewer to assume. But not this much.
There were professional reviewers that couldn't even figure out if what exactly got destroyed, including if it was Coruscant or not, or if the Republic is just totally gone and it's just the resistance alone now. These are not unimportant pieces of information.
>>
>>64272976
Stupid fucking comparison. Episode 1 and 4 were first chronologically and by release-date respectively. There was nothing before them to watch in the first place as far as their over-arching plots went.

7 fits into neither category. It's a direct sequel. There is absolutely no reason why it needs to start over, especially when it's a follow up to the most well known series of movies ever and 99% of people on planet earth know what it's about and who the characters are just by being exposed to the hundreds upon thousands of references to it in every other form of media.

>which is why it's flopped abroad and will fail
>shattered almost every, if not every, box office record
>already made over a billion dollars
>made even more off of merchandising
>flop
OK.
>>
>>64274312
>not being able to understand a Star Wars movie

Abrams clearly underestimated the stupidity of some moviegoers. I'll give you that.
>>
>>64274357
>Lol why would the answer be different?
Because A New Hope bothers to explain the basic terms for the audience.

The Force Awakens doesn't because it assumes you've seen the older movies.

Requiring people to see the older movies alienates new viewers.
>>
>>64274439
>It's a direct sequel.
To a film from over thirty years ago. How about writing in a brief explanation, Abrams? You stole everything else from ANH. Might as well steal the stuff that made it work.
>>
>>64274453
so you didn't get that Jedi use laser swords and space magic in TFA?
>>
>>64274439
>flopped abroad
It is a flop abroad. Most the money it's made, it made in America. That's completely abnormal for such a big movie with such a wide release.
>>
>>64274399
I just said the movie tells you that the force and the Jedi are connected. How much more do you need explained to understand?
>>
>>64274510
My friends didn't. It's one of the things they asked after the film. "What does the word 'Jedi' mean in Star Wars?"

This was their first Star Wars and they aren't from a country where Star Wars is popular or talked about. Neither am I, but I lived in America for long enough and have seen the earlier films, so I knew what was up.
>>
>>64274436
The first order destroyed planets at the heart of the republic. They say so in the movie. That's enough to get the point across that they're not fucking around to anyone watching the movie.
>>
>>64274546
How about a nice little scene like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFB16GCocfw
>>
The text crawl at the beginning explains Luke at the very least so she shouldn't be confused about that
>>
>>64274453
C-3PO had a red arm in TFA. They never said why but I'm fully confident that by the end of the trilogy it will be explained. Don't understand what Jedi are? I'm sure by the end of the trilogy you will. That's the whole point of a trilogy. They don't have to explain everything in 1 movie. You aren't supposed to understand everything in 1 movie. All your supposed to know is that they are called jedi, some are good, some are bad, they use laser swords, and they have some superhuman abilities. If you didn't get all of that in TFA then you are a special kind of idiot or you simply weren't paying attention.
>>
>>64269372
(you)
>>
>>64274398
DESIGNATED
>>
>>64274493
>To a film from over thirty years ago.
A film that hasn't stopped being referenced in every fucking piece of media under the sun. If you haven't figured out what a Jedi is, who Han/Luke/Leia/Darth Vader/etc are, or roughly what the plot of the original trilogy was, then I'm sorry, you just haven't been paying any attention to anything at all and I have to wonder why you're even going to see a movie in the first place when it's obvious you're some weird Amish fucker who doesn't believe in electricity.

>>64274542
Again, it made over a billion dollars in record time and is raking in even more money with its whorish merchandising. It is objectively 100% not a flop, regardless of your shitty meaningless opinion on the movie itself.
>>
>>64274581
>Jedi used laser swords and space magic in TFA through the entire movie
>your friends didn't get that Jedi used laser swords and space magic in TFA

Look if your friends are stupid that's on them.
>>
>>64269835
You're actually a race baiting jew
>>
>>64270034
OP BTFO
>>
>>64274714
C3P0 having a red arm is different than "what's a Jedi" because the Jedi are brought up throughout the movie. It hinders your understanding of the movie because you're wondering what the word means instead of paying attention to the new information, and thus new information gets lost on you.
>>
>>64274601
If they wanted to drop the politics and focus on a character who doesn't know anything about that stuff (as I saw claimed in at least one early look at the movie), they should have gone all the way and done that. Don't even show us the evil guy's speech and the giant laser unless the main character is there to see it. Give us the feeling that there's so much more going on that we want more stories to expand upon it, but that we don't need to see for this one.

They failed on both ends of the spectrum.
>>
File: 1445702577904.gif (690 KB, 139x200) Image search: [Google]
1445702577904.gif
690 KB, 139x200
>7th movie in the series
>hard to understand if you haven't seen the other
HOLY SHIT NIGGA WHO WOULDA THUNK
>>
>>64274808
>A film that hasn't stopped being referenced in every fucking piece of media under the sun
In America.

In other countries? Not always true. It certainly isn't true, here.

>>64274816
>your friends are stupid for not knowing what a made-up term that wasn't defined by the movie means
>>
>>64274647
This scene is in the movie because TFA is just ANH. It's the scene where Finn and Rey are talking to Han. The difference is that Han doesn't tell you what any of it means. He just tells the characters that everything they've heard of is true. So if the audience has never heard what the Jedi are, then they're lost there.
>>
>>64274808
And it's not doing well abroad.

Again, it flopped abroad.
>>
>>64269372
Your girlfriend just didn't enjoy it. She probably thought it was stupid and found any excuse not to like it by not paying attention and criticizing a film I thought brought people up to speed more then enough. Sorry she has lived under a rock most of her life and hasn't hear the key fucking points of a franchise that's been around for decades. How the flying fuck does she now know Darth Vader is Lukes father? Unborn babies know that shit. Like I said earlier it just sounds like she was making herself have a bad time. I've been with girls that do that childish shit "I don't like this so it's stupid and instead of paying attention I'll shit all over it for not spoon feeding me".

If she couldn't grasp the movie point fucking BLANK telling her that Han is a smuggler, then he was a war vet, then he went back to smuggling then she is retarded.
>>
>>64274876
No. I didn't ask if your friends knew what a Jedi was. I asked if you understood that a Jedi uses a laser sword and space magic in TFA. You said "my friends didn't." The Jedi in TFA used laser swords and space magic constantly so if your friends didn't understand that then they are stupid
>>
>>64275035
>heard*
>Not know*
>>
>>64275067
I answered your question and you insulted my friends' intelligence for not knowing a made-up, fictional term from a children's film series that wasn't adequately explained.

I'm fine with that, but it really means I have nothing more to say to you because you're just replying with insults now.
>>
>>64274876
>In other countries? Not always true.
"Other countries" import the fuck out of American media, so that's irrelevant. We don't need to pretend Star Wars isn't the most popular thing ever just because a handful of people in some ex-commie shithole hasn't seen a fucking lightsaber before.

>>64274999
>over half a billion dollars
>still not released in China
>not doing well
If that's the level of denial you want to keep yourself in, sure, I won't take that away from you, I guess.
>>
>>64269372

This is why it's going to bomb in China, the gooks only got 1977 released over their this year, they won't have a fucking clue, what the fuck is going on.
>>
It's almost as if it is the 7th movie in a film series or something.
>>
>>64275256
It's almost as if A New Hope was the 4th movie in a film series or something oh wait.
>>
>>64275280
see
>>64274439
>>
>>64275280
It's the first though. You're an absolute retard if you think Lucas had 6 movies planned out in the 70s.
>>
>>64275280
>Pleb detected
Original cut of the first was just called STAR WARS. That new hope shit wasn't thrown in until Jew Lucas sold a shit ton of toys and was like "oh well I'll call it 4 later, and the next one will be 5...so THEN I CAN DO LIKE 6 OF THESE FUCKING THINGS AND MAKE SO MUCH MONEY!" Tired of these "WELL HIS VISION WAS ALWAYS 6 FILMS!" He barely got the first fucking one out.
>>
>>64275352
>episode 4 was our first star wars
And episode 7 is other people's first star wars. Would have been nice if they had explained things in episode 7 like they did in 4.
>>
>>64275387
Star Wars 77 still opened in medias res.

And while the original cut of the film wasn't episode 4, that's mostly because they didn't want to scare people ("I haven't seen episodes 1 to 3, I ain't seeing number 4!"). Sort of how the title for this is Star Wars: The Force Awakens on all the posters. Script had episode 4 in it.
>>
>>64275450
Only because it was a wink to seeing old movie serials like Flash Gordan where as a kid you go to the flicks and you see Flash Gordan Episode 6 and you missed the last couple but it throws you in without needed that prior knowledge. Face it the "SAGA" was not thought out.
>>
>>64275357
And this is the first of the new trilogy.

What's your point?
>>
>>64275150
Are you an idiot? I never asked you what the term Jedi means and I don't care that your friends don't know what the term Jedi means. I asked you if by the end of TFA you understood that a Jedi uses a laser sword and space magic. You said your friends didn't. Now in TFA it was established that Kylo Ren and Rey were Jedi. Both used laser swords and space magic. How did your friends not understand that Jedi used laser swords and space magic? If I saw a guy walking down the street in a uniform I never saw before and people said "oh that's a cop" Then he proceeded to shoot a man in the leg and handcuff him I would have the understanding "ok that guy is something called a cop and they use a gun and handcuffs." I don't need to know what the term "cop" means to understand that.
>>
>>64275399
>And episode 7 is other people's first star wars.
Good thing it has nothing to do with which one people chose to watch first, then, you fucking idiot.

A New Hope was THE first Star Wars. As in, y'know, the first one ever released? It kinda makes sense to set shit up in a universe that hasn't been established yet, as opposed to the 7th movie where it's neither the first released or chronologically and literally almost everyone knows the basic premise of what you're doing.
>>
>>64269372
This movie is basically the Poochie of Star Wars.
It's bigger, it's louder, it has access to a time machine, and everyone's asking "Where's Luke?"
>>
>>64275675
I've been talking throughout this thread about people who are seeing The Force Awakens as their first Star Wars, and how it fails as a proper introduction to the series.

If this is not something you want to discuss, reply to another anon.
>>
>>64269372
It's a sequel. What did she fucking expect?
>>
Good Lord.

Does she really have to be spoonfed everything? This is her fault for really not picking up on context clues.

Before I got into Star Trek, I had some idea of both NG and the original. I knew Kirk was the captain, Picard in the other. I knew Spock, Data, etc. I didn't know much about them, but I am aware of the world around me.

Mysteries must hurt her brain.

Why do people need an obvious introduction? I love it when fiction drops me into the mess and I'm all "what the fuck is going on? I want to know about this place and these people, I'll pay attention and keep reading/watching/playing." I thought it was what good storytellers were supposed to do. Drop you in on the rising action.

Did she never pop into a show or cartoons halfway? Recently a family member was watching Luther on my Netflix account, and I accidentally pressed play and ended up watching the 4th episode the whole way before going back to see what I missed.

OP, I think you need to find another chick, this one ain't that observant. Women need to be observant.
>>
>>64275635
>If I saw a guy walking down the street in a uniform I never saw before and people said "oh that's a cop"
There's no scene where they say "that's a Jedi" and then show a Jedi, though.

That's kind of the problem with the film, friend. It doesn't explain things and assumes you already know.

If you already knew these things, that's great. For people who didn't know, it's not that great.
>>
>she literally knew nothing about it
>She knew who Darth Vader was
>>
>>64269732
All it says is "Luke Skywalker is missing!" assuming you already know Luke and why it's a big deal that he's missing.
>>
>>64269372
>Hurr I don't understand this episode SEVEN shit because I didn't watch the previous six ones durr

I don't know who's more stupid, you or her.
>>
>>64274261
Most people who have not seen Star Wars are still familiar with terms like jedi if only because of the thousand references in other media (movies, series, parodies, etc.) or by pop culture osmosis
>>
>>64269372
>go to see a sequel just because it's trending on Instagram
>get confused because you didn't see the previous ones
>>
>>64275954
I T ' S
A
S E Q U E L
>>
>>64276023
>if you look at the poster and other media, nothing even says episode 7 up until the title crawl, at which point you're already in the theater
>ANH is episode 4 yet properly introduces the viewer to the series
>a good chunk of the audience wasn't even alive to see episode 6 in theater

Would it really kill them to explain some things? It wouldn't even take extra screen time. Just change some of the dialogue to be more informative.
>>
>>64276072
In America maybe.

In a lot of countries? No. In my country? No.
>>
>>64275999
It explains a lot more actually

Luke Skywalker has vanished.
In his absence, the sinister
FIRST ORDER has risen
from the ashes of the Empire
and will not rest until Skywalker, the last Jedi,
has been destroyed.

With the support of the REPUBLIC,
General Leia Organa leads a brave RESISTANCE.
She is desperate to find her
brother Luke and gain his
help in restoring peace and
justice to the galaxy.

Leia has sent her most daring
pilot on a secret mission
to Jakku, where an old ally
has discovered a clue to
Luke’s whereabouts . . . .

It explains he is the last Jedi, that Leia is his sister, that they are looking for him because of the First Order. He can help restore peace and order in the galaxy.

From that context you know his family, and that jedi are responsible for peace and order in the galaxy, and if they are gone all goes to chaos.

If you have a brain bigger than a walnut, you can also figure out that when Kylo Ren calls Vader his grandfather, since Leia was mentioned in the opening crawl to be Luke's sis, then Vader is Luke's father.

Seriously, how much more exposition is fucking needed?

Show, don't tell, remember?
>>
>>64270595
>HP7 wasn't a reboot or reinstallment. I mean ffs there wasn't even a new cast.

Neither is TFA, it's a sequel with all the OLD cast returning to ther alreasy stablished roles.

>SW7 is essentially a blank slate and specifically aimed to draw in a new crowd.
Why, because you say so? It's fucking episode SEVEN, it's the first thing the movie tells you, it's not Phantom Menace remastered, they are continuing the previous history not making a new one, learn to fucking count.
>>
>>64274493
>To a film from over thirty years ago

Re-released in 1997.

With God knows how many vhs, dvd, br and pirating all around the world involved.
>>
>>64269693
>She was never even planning to see it. We were on a date already and ran out of stuff to do

Then why didn't you just have sexual intercourse?
Normies these days...
>>
>>64276115
You're a fucking idiot, senpai.

A New Hope properly explains everything because it was the first one released. Just because it was retroactively named "Episode 4" does not change that. Everything after that is a sequel, and just like every other sequel in existence, expects the viewers to have at least some knowledge of the original movie.

This is basic filmmaking and storytelling. You are just a fucking moron.
>>
While we're talking about noobs seeing star wars, I'm watching the machete method with my sister who knows nothing, and man this method is awesome. plot twist luke and leia at the end of 3. doesn't know the emperor yet, etc. pretty darn good
>>
>>64276101
To a film that's over thirty years old. Quickly explaining things just to make sure everyone is up to speed is smart.

Really, though, it's not so much a sequel as it is the first movie of a new trilogy. But even as a sequel to a film from thirty years ago, they should put in those brief explanations.
>>
>>64276205
Except Phantom Menace doesn't expect knowledge and explains things a viewer of the original trilogy would already know.
>>
>>64269693
>We were on a date already and ran out of stuff to do
found your problem, friend.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.