[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cartoons
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5
File: 1437415558932.jpg (179 KB, 707x990) Image search: [Google]
1437415558932.jpg
179 KB, 707x990
Is there an audience for a more action or drama oriented animated series on TV, or any other format (HBO, Netflix, Hulu etc.)? Something less oriented on comedy and more oriented toward character actions, interactions and drama. Not necessarily too deep but something that's not just Family Guy, Simpsons, or a childrens animated series on Nick or CN.
>>
I'm not even a fan of it but you might want to look into anime because that's exactly what you want. The genres run the full gamut.
>>
>>64262378
I've watched Samurai Champloo, Samurai Jack, all the samurai shows (American and anime), I've been watching Neon Genesis Evangelion.

I kind've was thinking something more American, ya know, made in the states. I don't see Cowboy Bebop on any primetime or any original Netflix series. I mean, Archer is the closest maybe but it's heavy satire/comedy.
>>
>>64262313
The west doesn't currently respect animation like that. Animation is still in its "Kid N' Nerd" phase.

You're gonna have to wait until somebody releases that smash-hit, breakout, amazingly written animated webseries that will have everyone talking for it to move out of that phase, but until then, nothing here.
>>
>>64262519
Family Guy and Simpsons are nowhere near "kid'n'nerd" to me. Yeah their comedy but their audience is like people late 20s and up.
>>
File: 1439911371780.gif (2 MB, 480x540) Image search: [Google]
1439911371780.gif
2 MB, 480x540
Unless it's some script-based sitcom, adults won't want to look at any animation that isn't CGI.

Unfortunately CGI animation for TV almost always sucks ass. The best looking thing I can think of is Tron Uprising.
>>
File: Picture 540.png (37 KB, 424x155) Image search: [Google]
Picture 540.png
37 KB, 424x155
Remember Tom Hanks' "Electric City"? Neither does anyone else.
>>
File: image.jpg (781 KB, 1427x2000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
781 KB, 1427x2000
>>64262313
Non exists. The stigma that animation is for children is just too strong. Not to mention that fans don't really give a shit so there isn't any push.
Even the ones recognized by critics aren't that well known by normal people.
No amount of Waltz with Bashirs and Anomalisas will change the stigma anytime soon.
>>
>>64262519
Animation is for nerds in the east, too. You don't seriously think well-adjusted, self-respecting adults in Japan watch anime, do you?
>>
>itt everyone forgets about 90s mtv animated shorts or is too underage b& to know about them
>>
>>64263264
OP asked whether there's an audience.

Since Liquid TV ended in the 90s (and no one watched the recent attempt to revive it on the web), I would say there isn't an audience.
>>
>>64263264
Was just reading about this;
ÆON FLUX, is this worth checking into?
>>
>>64263173
there was a period in japan at least where animation tried to be serious
the amount of serious and good animated works from japan is fairly large
>>
>>64262313
I don't think there's enough demand. Most people are very vocal about animation being either children's entertainment or adult comedy. It also sounds like what you're thinking of could be accomplished in live action too, so they would just do that instead.

>>64262519
Anime already exists and it hasn't changed people's perceptions of anime.

>>64263173
Anime is watched by mainstream audiences in Japan and always has been.

>>64263450
Saying there was a period implies animation isn't trying to be serious anymore, which isn't the case. If anything it has only gotten more serious.
>>
>>64262313
You should forget about TV and watch animated movies. There are brilliant ones every year, none of them from the US.
>>
>>64262313
The only hope is if HBO or Netflix will commission a competent studio to make a mature non completely comedy show with at least decent animation.
>>
>>64263821
>animation has gotten more serious
is this true? i havent followed anime for about 5 years or more now
i thought it all devolved into moe shit
>>
>>64262313
Legend of Galactic Heroes?
>>
>>64264181
There has always been moe shit, fan service shit, shonen shit, Mecha shit and occasionally good shit.
It's never going away since Japan itself has a fetish for schoolgirls and young women. Better it be their cartoons than the actual though.
>>
File: whee.jpg (941 KB, 1280x8640) Image search: [Google]
whee.jpg
941 KB, 1280x8640
>>64264129
HBO has no motive and Netflix, last I heard, is looking to finance anime production.

>>64264181
There's like 1-3 "moe" shows per season.

Pic related: some random screenshots from recent or recent-ish shows.
>>
>>64264237
that doesnt answer the question
what serious works have come out recently worth taking a look at?
>>
>>64264589
Depends on what you mean by serious and worth taking a look at.
>>
>>64264619
i'll go by your definition, since you said it got more serious
>>
>>64264643
Some people think that something isn't serious because it's fantasy or because the colors are too bright or because the main characters are girls or because it's set in high school, or whatever.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.