[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Star Wars TFA Gripe General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32
I've been avoiding /tv/ for a looong time so I could enjoy this, but I just saw it annnnd....

killing han solo is the death of the franchise

Any future SW movie is going to be like watching a car go down the road with a wheel missing. Way to shoot your load early, JJ.

Should have killed off Leia for the shock value instead
>>
ok reddit
>>
>>64252596
I actually don't disagree, Luke and Han not having a Bro-scene is a major missed opportunity.

Also fuck you OP for making yet ANOTHER star wars thread.
>>
It's probably not JJ's choice, Ford seems like he was reluctantly dragged back into it but only said yes if they promised to finally kill him off, like he had wanted to happen in Empire.
>>
>>64252771
Maybe, but you throw enough money at someone, and the franchise has a lot of money to throw around.....

Of the original cast, he's the most likeable. Leia was just the damsel in distress, once she was 'rescued' she became kind of dull, and Mark Hamill can only do 'farmboy' well.

And the new crop of characters isn't really that engaging.
>>
>>64252740
I made it a general so people could just come here instead of making more threads.
>>
Not killing Han off screen years ago and only having one character briefly mention it was the death of this horseshit.
>>
>>64252740
>Bro-scene
You're exactly the shitty type of fanbase they've been trying to cater to
>>
>>64252596
I'd love it if killing off Han was the only problem that this movie had. It could even have been done in an epic way worthy of the character.
>>
>>64252771

If that's the case, then why is Ford signed on for the next two episodes?

Also how the HELL is he supposed to show up in the next two episodes, as a Force Ghost?!
>>
I liked the movie, but it should be renamed to
Star Wars: The Greatest Hits, since the whole movie was just stuff we already saw in the OT but reskinned as a new movie
>>
>>64254064
>What are flashback scenes
>>
>>64254143
I honestly didn't mind that it was mostly a copypaste of #4. It was a good way to reboot the franchise and help remove the bad taste that ep. 1-3 left.

I am looking forward to see where it goes next, but Han provided needed humor and grounding that will be missed.
>>
>>64254500
why would you prefer old rehash instead of something new?
>>
File: Yoda.png (702 KB, 672x604) Image search: [Google]
Yoda.png
702 KB, 672x604
> Star Wars TFA Gripe General

There are a hundred threads, but what the hell; I saw it for the first time today having avoided any spoilers previously, and am now compelled to vent my spleen as a man who came to it as a blank slate (well, a slate that had seen the first 6 movies):

1) What is actually the relationship of the "Resistance" to the "Rebellion" and/or the New Republic?
2) Ditto the First Order and the Empire

I guess most of the rest of my confusion is all predicated around those two, e.g.:

3) Related to (1): why is Leia... doing what she's doing? Shouldn't she be, like, Chancellor of the New Senate now or something?
4) Did the not-Death-Star blow up Coruscant? They certainly talked a big game in the Nazi rally preceding its firing about wiping out the Republic and the Senate, but they never actually said the word "Coruscant" and I don't remember it having 5 moons. If they didn't nuke Coruscant, why not, and why DID they nuke wherever they did nuke?
5) Why is the First Order the one with the Star Destroyers and the Stormtroopers? If the New Republic has usurped the Empire, shouldn't they get the Empire's stuff? And why couldn't Leia sic whatever navy the New Republic DOES have on the Not-Death-Star?

And a not-so-political-one

6) How can the chick beat Ren in a lightsaber duel? I guess I can kinda go through a tortured thread of implying implications that she was one of Luke's padawans that Ren kinda missed 15 years ago and she got sent into exile and suppressed it all, but in the film no-one bats a fucking eye at it. I could at least have done with someone saying "Woah, how'd you do that" to reassure me that it doesn't make sense because it's an in-universe mystery, rather than it not making sense because JJ Abrams can't edit for shit.

This movie really had the feel of something where they shot 3 hours of film and then had to throw a quarter of the movie away to get it to cinema, so they took out all the connecting bits.
>>
>>64254843
>1) What is actually the relationship of the "Resistance" to the "Rebellion" and/or the New Republic?
>2) Ditto the First Order and the Empire
they are the same thing but renamed to trick audiences into thinking its "new"

>3) Related to (1): why is Leia... doing what she's doing? Shouldn't she be, like, Chancellor of the New Senate now or something?
because then she wouldnt be seen with the "rebellion" like she was in the older movies

>4) Did the not-Death-Star blow up Coruscant? They certainly talked a big game in the Nazi rally preceding its firing about wiping out the Republic and the Senate, but they never actually said the word "Coruscant" and I don't remember it having 5 moons. If they didn't nuke Coruscant, why not, and why DID they nuke wherever they did nuke?
it was implied , but yeah I dont think Coruscant had moons

>5) Why is the First Order the one with the Star Destroyers and the Stormtroopers? If the New Republic has usurped the Empire, shouldn't they get the Empire's stuff? And why couldn't Leia sic whatever navy the New Republic DOES have on the Not-Death-Star?
because they were the Not-Empire but still empire

>And a not-so-political-one
because the prequels involved politics and "Star Wars fans" dont understand politics
>>
>>64252596
Harrison Ford didn't even act as well as he did in past SW movies. He better stay out and have a nice demise in the franchise. The guy is just old and tired, let him rest.
>>
>>64255125
(cont.)

>6) How can the chick beat Ren in a lightsaber duel? I guess I can kinda go through a tortured thread of implying implications that she was one of Luke's padawans that Ren kinda missed 15 years ago and she got sent into exile and suppressed it all, but in the film no-one bats a fucking eye at it. I could at least have done with someone saying "Woah, how'd you do that" to reassure me that it doesn't make sense because it's an in-universe mystery, rather than it not making sense because JJ Abrams can't edit for shit.
Rey wasnt a padawan, it was shown she was left on Jakka as a small child, she wouldnt have been trained by Luke. But its also implying she may be Luke's daughter, since his lightsaber was calling to her, and she gets a vision once she touched it, AND because she seems to be a strong force user, something of a Skywalker trait

>This movie really had the feel of something where they shot 3 hours of film and then had to throw a quarter of the movie away to get it to cinema, so they took out all the connecting bits.
possibly I cant answer that
>>
>>64254843
1-5 mostly explained at the opening scroll. You must have not read it.
6. He was wounded
>>
>>64252596
[spoiler/] IIRC Harrison Ford said before filming even started that he would only come back as Han Solo if they killed him in the first film [/spoiler]
>>
>>64255258
also should point out, Kilo Ren was also injured from Chewie's blaster shot, and also was tired from his duel with Finn, AND she is also a strong force user, and seems to be growing in strength
>>
>>64254557
It wasn't 100% rehash, I think the only thing that really made me roll my eyes was blowing up pretty much a 3rd death star. Oh, and a lesser extent another droid with secret plans/map.
>>
>>64252596
his lines were really bad for some reason.
>Solo:"Wow that's a really nice gun you have there"
come on he's been husslin and slingin with this wookie for many years how would his weapon of choice is surprising????
>>
>>64255349
dont forget the Cantina scene

and the Boba Fett

and the blowing up of a planet with senators

and the masked villain with the deep voice

and the hidden in the shadows master villain

etc.
>>
>>64255238
>Harrison Ford didn't even act as well as he did in past SW movies

it actually wasn't possible for him to act well, because his character didn't have any credibility thanks to them just ignoring all his development in the OT.

he wasn't written as an "older Han Solo" he was an attempt to do the exact same character with an older actor.
>>
>>64255430
Im actually surprised Kilo Ren didnt lose his hand in the final duel with Rey
>>
>>64255430
I think a lot of that is niggling concerns, because it's just traditional "star wars" background set pieces where things happen.

BUT yes, I did wonder did Kylo Ren REALLY need a voice altering mask? Maybe it was because he had such a huge boner for grandpa.
>>
>>64255125
>they are the same thing but renamed to trick audiences into thinking its "new"
Oh, I understand the meta-reasons well enough.
I just thought perhaps there were plot reasons too.

>>64255295
>6. He was wounded
And am-I-good-or-am-I-evil conflicted, I guess, which might have compromised his force powers.
I guess the source of my objection is not so much "Why is Ren bad" as it is "Why is the grill good". I always imagined from films 1-6 that if anyone who wasn't a trained Jedi so much as picked a lightsaber up they'd be 90% likely to chop their own arm off in the first 10 seconds. And then suddenly in 7 we have chumps with no training going up against Sith Masters and winning, and I'm all "wut"

>>64255258
>Rey wasnt a padawan, it was shown she was left on Jakka as a small child, she wouldnt have been trained by Luke.
OK, I didn't mean "padawan", I guess I meant "youngling". I distinctly remember that some of the kids Anakin killed in #3 in the Jedi temple were younger than Rey was in the flashback.
>>
>>64255430
>>64255488
even Han's death was taken from the OT

father/son confrontation on a suspended bridge with a endless pit below them

except it ended the other way, and one died
>>
>>64254843
>4) Did the not-Death-Star blow up Coruscant?

they blow up some Bosnian Prime or something like that, not Coruscant
>>
>>64255525
>OK, I didn't mean "padawan", I guess I meant "youngling". I distinctly remember that some of the kids Anakin killed in #3 in the Jedi temple were younger than Rey was in the flashback.

Rey looked to be like 2 or 3 when she was left
the Younglings looked about 5-7ish
>>
>>64255584
if you ask me, the whole series works better if you pretend the prequels didn't exist.
>>
>>64256190
I dont mind the prequel soo...
>>
>>64256818
this must be bait....
>>
>>64255584
Daisy and JJ confirmed Rey is 5.
>>
>Death Star blows up a planet
>Leia is distraught
>I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced
>audience understands the impact
Vs.
>Starkiller blows up a system
>nobody in the movie nor the audience cares

The further I get from TFA the more I'm noticing things that really needed some punching up
>>
>>64256993
no
I just understand they arent the original trilogy, and I didnt expect them to be the original trilogy, like every other star wars fan.

The same shit happen with the Hobbit movies
>>
>>64257249
I expected them not to be easily forgotten garbage.

All I remember is wooden acting, armies of weak robots, wild hairdos, massive lightsaber duel, and Darth Vader falls into a pit of lava and kills a bunch of kids.

Other than buzzwords like "trade federation" and "senate" I seriously could not recall enough to give any kind of plot synopsis today.
>>
>>64257408
>I expected them not to be easily forgotten garbage.

Yet you like TFA
>>
>>64253378
Evidently not, you fucking retard.
>>
>stormtroopers literal nazi salute

the subtlety of JJ
>>
How did poe get out of the first order torture room and back onto whatever planet that resistance base was on?
>>
>>64257439
I could outline the plot, however I did just see it a few hours ago.

I thought it was pretty good. It was a good, solid movie.

The original Star Wars (or episode IV if you want) was the same caliber. Nobody ever claimed it had the greatest plot (see Ebert's review of it) but it was really good.

That being said, I was 6 when I saw it in the theater, and that was kind of a powerful thing back then. I understand if younger people don't quite get why us gen x'ers are so nuts over this franchise.
>>
Am I going blind or was Ackbar the wrong color?
>>
>>64257408
if you cant remember them, how do you know you dont like them?
>>
File: 1381452745246.png (597 KB, 855x1008) Image search: [Google]
1381452745246.png
597 KB, 855x1008
The one thing that bothered me most was Han praising Rey in like every scene the two shared.

One or two would have been enough, but it felt like too much.

It's like they felt the need to make sure the audience gets that Han approves of her as his successor.

Other than that, I actually really liked Finn, Rey, and Poe and am genuinely interested in their future adventures.

I also loved Kylo, but felt like the First Order was a little underdeveloped in general. Hux, Phasma, and the Storm Troopers could have used a little exploration, especially considering the fact that one of the main characters is a defect.

I think they could have trimmed out a few of the extraneous action scenes and inserted a scene showing the Reeducation the First Order had for Finn or something.

That's another issue, the movie seemed more like a series of action scenes strung together by sparse character driven ones.
>>
>>64252596
>>killing han solo is the death of the franchise

Literally no one cared
>>
>>64257658
The same way I remember I didn't like middle school. I don't remember everything that happened, but I do remember hating it, as well as a smattering of unpleasant vignettes.
>>
>>64257592
>The original Star Wars (or episode IV if you want) was the same caliber
because it was the same movie
>>
>orange yoda
really bad and stupid looking, hopefully she's dead

>another BIGGER death star
but presented without the gravitas and awe of the original

>R2 just happens to have the rest of the map and pops open for no reason
literal deus ex machina, they weren't even looking for the map there
>>
>>64257693
I thought the treatment of Storm Troopers was excellent. They communicated, used tactics and even had a traitor. They weren't just the ineffective targets/set dressing that they were before. Bravo.
>>
>>64254064
Flashbacks to flesh out Kylo's back story.
>>
>>64254064
Almost certainly as flashbacks.
>>
The Starkiller weapon's visuals.

Wthout giving anything away, the way JJ portrayed it really shit on the movie for me. I was hyped up until that point, but I was instantly reminded of his Star Trek mining laser shit.

Also, Kylo Ren sounded like he had a Walmart Darth Vader mask on when he spoke.

Not enough Poe.

Very rushed and not enough exposition.

Solid 7.9 out of 10 after one viewing.
>>
>>64254064
I'd imagine he'll show up during one of Ren's inner struggles. Something like Ren looks up and just sees his dead father standing there staring at him.
>>
>>64257924
I thought he sounded like Snape with the mask on.
>>
>>64257113

Aww shit. Point.

The a certain character did look very distraught near the end, but that may have been due to immediate circumstances.

How do I spoiler text?
>>
Phasma. Literally everything about her was done terribly.
>>
>>64252596
I literally didn't even care when han died because I was so uninvested in the plot that it didn't even feel like han actually died
>>
>>64257639

Maybe they turn red when they get old.

That *was* Akbar right?
>>
>>64258155
Or done perfectly well, if she really is the Boba Fett of this movie, and considering all the other rehashed things in it, she is
>>
>>64254843
Military coup. The surviving Empire guys went "Fuck off" to the good guys and formed their own force to demolish the new government.
>>
Am I the only one who felt the film was way to fast paced? It was like a fucking Transformers movie

>oh shit a new Death Star let's destroy it OK done now Hans dead crap hey luke
>>
File: fk6233.jpg (26 KB, 250x375) Image search: [Google]
fk6233.jpg
26 KB, 250x375
>>64252596
so I was willing to accept Kylo Ren and his stupid little tantrums if he was 18-19, something like that, but he is almost 30 goddamn years old (I read he was born about a year after the Battle of Endor)

literally what the fuck, plus the fact he's barely above padawan level in his power. if there were still a bunch of jedis around like in the prequel era, his shit would be a rekt so hard. totally destroys the character.
>>
>>64255508
>Take off that mask. You don't need it.
Of course. Literally everything about him was rebelling against his parents and having a boner for his Grandfather.
>>
>>64252596
movie one should have been a han movie with the new guys as supporting new comers.
movie two should be a luke movie while the new guys are developed.
movie three is a general leia movie with the new guys being front line troops
han should have died in two
>>
File: Ackbar Fett.jpg (49 KB, 530x239) Image search: [Google]
Ackbar Fett.jpg
49 KB, 530x239
>Admiral Ackbar
says "Its a Trap"
people love him

>Boba Fett
outsmarts Han Solo, leading to his capture, carbonite hibernation, and imprisonment to Jabba the Hutt
people hate him
>>
File: Kylo Ren.jpg (76 KB, 468x584) Image search: [Google]
Kylo Ren.jpg
76 KB, 468x584
>>64258348
For me, the Kylo Ren character was kind of destroyed when he took off his mask and revealed that he was actually 1970's era John Travolta.

I almost expected him to bust a move.
>>
>>64258283
same. wish it was another 20-30 minutes longer
>>
File: colonelle.jpg (409 KB, 1023x682) Image search: [Google]
colonelle.jpg
409 KB, 1023x682
>>64252596
>Should have killed off Leia for the shock value instead

I admit that would be pretty cool shock value wise. The best would be bathing in all the feminist and SJWs tears.
>>
>>64258198
Boba Fett didn't go on about the importance of Mandalorian culture and then disable the defenses of the planet so the Empire could take it over because he was held at gunpoint.
>>
Kylo Ren never used a Sheev Spin despite his crazy man fighting style.
>>
So was the ENTIRE New Republic destroyed?

You would think that not every single fleet and important political figure was in only one star system.
>>
>>64258481
Not only that, but of all the original characters, she's the most expendable. When she's not being the hot damsel in distress (IV, VI), she's sort of a snappy bitch (V) or dull old boss lady(VII).

She really didn't have many lines in TFA, I wonder if it's because there's something wrong with Carrie Fischer. I mean, she's kind of loopy and doesn't seem to have her shit together. She's admitted to doing a ton of blow way back when, maybe that's why she's not all there.

I'm really going to miss Han Solo. It's pretty clear after watching TFA why Harrison Ford was the only one who turned his post Star Wars fame into an A-list career and the others didn't do much.
>>
>>64258728
the movie is really shit about delivering a story.
>ill tell you some other time
>>
>>64254232
>star wars
>flashbacks
pick one
>>
>>64258883
>implying ESB Leia wasn't best Leia
>>
>>64259679
>implying best Leia isn't RotJ

Jabba slave Leia was hot and Endor Leia was cool as fuck
>>
The only plot twist that could save the next movie is if the "order" turns out to be the good guys.
>>
Anyone else think Rey had 0 sex appeal? Like my dick was more flaccid then a wet noodle during the entire movie. She looked like a teenage boy.
>>
>>64258481
Did you notice how not a single female character got hurt in the entire movie? Even after the Duell at the end Rey doesn't even have as much as a scratch
>>
>>64252596
I'm pretty sure that Leia will be next to die.
Then maybe Luke in the final film, so they can kill off three main characters and piss off everyone.
>>
>>64259955
That's a good point.... even chrome tits got dumped in the compactor off screen
>>
File: image.jpg (91 KB, 490x700) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
91 KB, 490x700
>tfw I liked Kylo Ren
>>
>>64259955
True, but then again, what about Phasma?
Also, I never understood why Kylo didn't just force push Rey off of the cliff, or at least try to.
>>
>>64252596
Should of killed of Leia just because Karen is officially a nut bar and it means they will likely have to shoot the whole next film with her about, being fucking embarrassing. Only reason they killed Han was because Harrison Ford wanted out, he always seemed to give zero fucks about Star Wars and the fans anyway.

Is a shame as Han is the best character in TFA in my opinion, brings most the fun and charisma and he was sufficiently haggard and looked WAY TOO OLD for that shit that it made me smile.
>>
>>64260019
>Only reason they killed Han was because Harrison Ford wanted out, he always seemed to give zero fucks about Star Wars and the fans anyway.

Yup, pretty much, you got it right on the head.
>>
>>64260019
His entire act was appeal to nostalgia, if the original trilogy didn't exist, Han would be fucking shitty.
>>
>>64260009
>Phasma
Not killed on screen, not confirmed dead.
>>
Nah, disney decided they were gonna make an all-fanservice movie targeted precisely toward the wannabe geek demographic.
>>
My personal gripes:

- First Order is filled with young 20 somethings making it feel laughable. The Empire was all grizzled old men.

- Kylo Ren was too edge lord as others have pointed out. There are better ways to show his fanatical fascination with Anakin than him wearing the Sith version of fake emo glasses for most the film.

- Rae lightsaber stuff, others have covered this ad naseum.

- Rae's strong independent womyn-ness came off very shallow and heavy handed.

- That terrible, awkward helicopter pan shot at the end. I can't imagine a weaker ending to that movie.
>>
>>64260238
Yeah, she is the new Boba Fett, she will be back to just hang around and look interesting, but does nothing.
I mean, well, Fett at least captured Han, with some help of course.
>>
File: 1451422544875.jpg (406 KB, 1028x1050) Image search: [Google]
1451422544875.jpg
406 KB, 1028x1050
>The Force Awakens is pleb trash
>>
I thought the wild impossible quintillion to one odds plot points were hard to swallow.

>out of all the places in the universe, the millennium falcon ends up in Rey's 'hood.
>she steals it
>out of all the places in outer space, against 10 to the octillionth power, she flies it into Han Solo's ship
>not to mention several other ridiculously wild ass variables

I mean, come the fuck on.
>>
>>64260409
Force guided them
>>
Does anyone have that picture of the Force Awakens plot written out a long with the plot of A New Hope. The New Hope plot is crossed out in red.

I saw it on 4chan once, it may have come from reddit??
>>
>>64260409
>out of all the places in outer space, against 10 to the octillionth power, she flies it into Han Solo's ship

well han did say it wasnt a coincidence, he picked it up on the scanners
>>
The movie seemed largely just like meaningless jumps between setpieces, which were generally flat out copy-pasted from the Original Trilogy but done with "HD MODERN CGI".

Movie relies too heavily on coincidence.

Pacing was bad the films seems like it takes place over a day and a half.

Because of the pacing we get almost no character development, Finn rebels way too quickly while at the same time mass murdering his "family". If the film allowed more development (Finn actually agonizing while continuing to be a Storm Trooper) this would have made much more sense.

Rey is just a fan fiction tier perfect mary sue with zero flaws. With that said, she's still likable and the actress playing her did so with a lot of charisma. Too bad Rey is written so poorly.

Captain Phasma served basically no point in the movie despite featuring so heavily in promo material, she also just lowers the shields and doesn't even alert security because who the fuck knows.

I didn't mind Kylo Ren but he wasn't threatening at all.

Snook or whatever is just a giant bad CGI Voldermort, I honestly believe they rushed this character.

CGI at times looked quite bad, the big tentacle monster things looked shit, Voldermort looked shit and some of the CGI later on in the film was questionable.

On top of this, the Han Solo dies sequence has really fucking bad green-screening like Prequel tier Green screen bad.

Final sequence of the movie is fucking bizarre and blatantly rushed also the location is a well known world heritage listed site so it instantly drew me out of the film, there is also fucking weird as fuck gopro tier helicopter shot where I'm pretty sure you can see the fucking shadow of the helicopter.

A lot of the premise doesn't even really make that much sense, why after 30 years are the "Resistance" still using shitty rebel tech?
>>
>>64254232
>>64257834
>>64257915
>>64258048

ahaha flash back

I cant believe there's idiots who can think this way about STAR WARS
>>
Death Stars officially 0 for 3. Are Death Stars the communism of space weaponry?
>>
>>64260716
I would also add a lot of these issues are the same with JJ's Trek movies as well, especially Into Darkness.

Oh also JJ has no fucking clue about spacial awareness.

How in fuck can they see the death star beam blow up those planets from another solar system?

How does a heavily injured Kylo Ren intercept Rey and Finn?
>>
>>64260728
>Death Stars officially 0 for 3
thats not true, they blew up a few planets and some moons, probably killed a few billion people and whatnot
>>
File: 1336606904388.jpg (203 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1336606904388.jpg
203 KB, 1000x1000
>>64260356
>Didn't like a movie. Better post a list on my site to prove my opinion.

Why do people do this? It this what happens when you don't hug your kids or tell them you love them when they are young?
>>
>>64260728
They just haven't done it right yet! The only solution is to build another!
>>
>>64260716
Yeah that ending shot really bothered me. It was like a cliche "rooftop" shot from a michael bay movie.
>>
How come when they return to the base at the end, Leia immediately hugs Rey and doesn't even make eye contact with Chewie, who has been Han's right hand for years?
>>
>>64260767
> Oh also JJ has no fucking clue about spacial awareness.

>>64260596
> well han did say it wasnt a coincidence, he picked it up on the scanners

Yet another argument as to how the movie felt like it took place in a broom closet.

Was Han scanning the entire fucking galaxy ?

In the OT travel takes time, even at lightspeed, which is why they have that god damned "chess" table in the falcon in the first place. That's also where Luke had his first training session, because they had to wait for the jump to lightspeed to end. Now they just jump back and forth between setpieces extremely quickly and it feels like whiplash.

J.J needs to slow the fuck down.
>>
They should have just turned the Thrawn trilogy into movies and called it a day.
>>
>>64260298
They were really pushing that Rae independent stuff too much when Fin and her first met. Doesn't really make sense either. If Fin was raised and trained in the New Order, wouldn't he just treat her as anybody else? His superior officer was a women, and it's not like he's seen movies and thinks of her as a damsel in distress'.
>>
File: swtfa.png (2 MB, 916x1180) Image search: [Google]
swtfa.png
2 MB, 916x1180
my only complaints are

1. the movie never slowed the fuck down so we could take it all in. (Maybe a lil bit with Rey scavenging but yeah)

2. Why werent there more cool designs used (pic related, they all appeared for like 1 sec or never even appeared) also cool LOCATIONS. That was the thing i was most hyped about and the best we got was Jakku. Other then that there was Canada and Ireland.

Also everything looked bland as fuck. Maz Kanatas Castle? Shitty Cantina ripoff that didnt even look good imo. Also why
wasnt there a Pirateship there. Would already improve the movie AND toy sales, same goes for character designs as mentioned earlier.

Why not have a scene where Rey is scavenging and all of the sudden Sarco Plank (top right) appears and she has to hide? Would be a great scene imo
>>
>>64261242
forgot to mention that Maz is supposed to be a pirate. Thats why i wanted a pirateship there.

Also why have a cantina ripoff when instead you can show Maz's pirate crew? Even if they used the exact same costumes that fact alone wouldve improved the movie too
>>
File: imperial boardroom.jpg (114 KB, 500x649) Image search: [Google]
imperial boardroom.jpg
114 KB, 500x649
>>64260898
>>
>>64254500
Han is great but old news. He was awesome in tfa but I'm no longer interested in his character he just made it comfy. I'm dying to learn more about Rey and Kylo and Luke. Kylo and Rey must have known each other before. What the fuck was that flashback scene and why was Rey seeing Kylo and the knights of ren? What the fuck kind of look did Luke even give her at the end? Why why why why why why fuuuuuuuck. Why is she scavenging on a shit planet and waiting for somebody, why is she scratching marks of days gone by on a wall? Why is she suddenly so strong, why did she break Kylo? Why did he take off his mask for her?

They did good, I was glad Han was a major character but we're moving on.
>>
>>64261505
Mimicking Revan's character development in the Kotor games, sort of. Was trained as a child with Luke and Kylo, Kylo fucked up, Luke wiped her memories and dumped her off on Jakku before fucking off.
>>
>>64260298
>The Empire was all grizzled old men.
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little TRAITOR? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the First Order and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on the New Republic, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in baton warfare and I’m the top trooper in of Captain Phasma’s armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another traitor. I will wipe you the fuck out with spins the likes of which have never been seen before in this galaxy, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Comms? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of Sith across space and your BB-8 unit is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, TRAITOR. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred spins, and that’s just with my baton. Not only am I extensively trained in baton combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the First Order Strormtrooper Battalion and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of Jakku, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” betrayal was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking blaster but you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn TRAITOR. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, TRAITOR.
>>
>>64259881

You're not alone, I kind of thought that too. I mean she is cute and I think she has a great smile, but actual arousal was negligible.
>>
I thought the Starkiller base plot line was skimmed over too much. The pacing their was off and felt rushed (you could argue the whole movie felt rushed). If I had to make one change to TFA it would be to rework that plot line and have more exposition (or get rid of it entirely).
>>
>>64260298

>First Order is filled with young 20 somethings making it feel laughable. The Empire was all grizzled old men

I think that was supposed to be a plot point. Much of the Empire's leadership was killed off at Endor and Jakku. These First Order remnants are like the Hitler Youth at the Battle of Berlin, but on a galactic scale. At least that's what I'm picking up from reading the new background material.

That's also the vibe I got at the Hitler speach. You've got this young General Hux making a spittle-flinging speech even though he's young and proubably not much older than the rest of the troops there. New lore says most of the First Order personal were trained and raised on their starships out in the Outer Rim. I think it kind of works.
>>
>>64260767

>How in fuck can they see the death star beam blow up those planets from another solar system?

My biggest problem with the movie right here. Up until then I was alright. I actually said "What the fuck JJ" out loud when that happened.

The rest I can overlooks, but that part really let me down.
>>
>>64260720
Just because they never had flashbacks in the other movies, doesn't mean they can't add them in future movies. Does that fuck with your autism?
>>
File: image.jpg (313 KB, 699x1211) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
313 KB, 699x1211
>>64260513
There you go familia
>>
>>64254064
Flashbacks.

Kylo Ren is his father's child. Remember, Han Solo trained as an imperial pilot.
>>
>>64262317
It's alright, next episode we'll see another Starkiller that's only half built, but then will actually be able to fire SHOCKER
>>
>>64254843
The Resistance is smaller than the rebellion was... According to material put out by Disney the following happened after the Death Star blew up:

The Rebellion mostly succeeded until the Battle of Jakku.

Most of the Republic has been reconstituted into a new Republic however Imperial Remnants succeeded in holding part of the Unknown Regions and the Outer Rim.

At the Battle of Jakku the rebellion/republic and Imperial Remnants/First Order fought to a stand still but neither side held a clear victory. The Republic new and fragile decided negotiated peace was the best answer. They still had Luke, the Emperor and Vader were dead and the galactic core was free.

Leia and others though decided to fight so like the Free Syrian Army members of the Republic funded and helped organize the Resistance to continue to destabilize the First Order.

The planet that was destroyed was named Hosnian Prime. The capitol of the Republic is no longer in Coursant. It is instead a rotating capitol that moves from place to place.
>>
>>64260720
what would you call the scene where rey touched the saber then faggot
>>
File: tie-fighter-pilot-force-awakens.jpg (43 KB, 1280x517) Image search: [Google]
tie-fighter-pilot-force-awakens.jpg
43 KB, 1280x517
this post focuses entirely on the depiction of starfighters in the new movie because it is a repost of something I wrote up on /m/

From a strictly technical aspect the depiction of X-Wings and TIE fighters and the Falcon was great in TFA. Pretty fun fanservice.

The iconic sound of the engines for all craft are very faithfully replicated and used in ways we didn't see in the original trilogy - we hear the distant roar of TIEs in the distance just before the attack on the marketplace in Jakku, and if you listen closely, you can hear the distinct "blip blip" of a targeting computer during the skirmish at Maz's. Overall, the sound engineers demonstrate a much larger degree of freedom in moving the craft around the action's soundscape than what was possible in the original films- fighters alternately soar far away from the camera and zip past at close range in tracking shots, and the sounds of the engines morph accordingly. Thanks, modern technology!

We see strafing runs performed by both X-Wings and TIEs, which marks the first time we've seen starfighters engage in air-to-ground attacks (snowspeeders don't count), and their cannons are now established to be devastatingly effective compared to small arms fire (especially TIEs, they really did a number on Jakku and the cantina).

There are also several new ideas in the mechanical designs themselves - BB-8 for instance does well as the EVE to R2's WALL-E, and his swiveling head allows him to emote through body language. TIEs have also received a remodel, with a new darker color scheme, and at least some units sporting an aft gunner's seat. All of the cockpit shots are richly detailed and beautifully rendered, especially for the nameless TIE pilots pursuing the Falcon on Jakku. (pic related, from the second trailer. pretty sure even more light sources were added in the final cut)
>>
>>64263652

However it was often difficult to appreciate the good qualities of the movie's /m/ aspects due to disorienting and hectic directing and editing.

For instance, the eye-popping cockpit shots I mentioned earlier each last for about a second at the very most. God I wish those were dragged out slightly longer, and that we could have seen these pilots interact with the apparatus surrounding them and watch the amazing lighting dance around the elements in motion, rather than just being limited to short instances in which the pilot does nothing in particular besides pulling an offscreen trigger to fire the laser cannon.

I also found the direction of the action shots to be annoying and prone to using confusing camera movement to mask a lack of substance. Take for instance the attached webm. It's not a very eventful shot, the Falcon flips around and flies towards some TIEs. But the camera shakes back and forth epileptically and the shot is upside down for a few seconds, so it's not as easy to figure out what's going on.

The dogfight over the ruined cantina is another good example. At one point Poe takes out about 8 TIE fighters in roughly 8 seconds. But can you remember how he took down any of the individual fighters? Can you recall the film conveying any information to you other than "8 TIEs managed to find themselves in Poe's line of fire somehow"? I'm guessing that for most people the answer is "no." The action was too quick and uninvolved, too light and fluffy, to be really memorable or meaningful. In fact several of my viewing party couldn't remember Poe's rampage at all. I got the impression that they didn't realize it was the same X-Wing shooting down each TIE.
>>
File: 1451209440065.jpg (108 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1451209440065.jpg
108 KB, 1920x1080
>>64263699

Finally the Starkiller Base battle is (in classic JJ Abrams style) an enormous mess of randomly flashing lasers and missiles and like 50 TIEs flying two inches away from 12 X-Wings. The sequence makes the fustercluck at Endor look like Space Odyssey by comparison. I believe we see one guy say "I'm hit!", and then he dies, but other than that I have absolutely no recollection of what exactly was happening at any specific point in that battle besides the first bombing run being ineffective and an unexplained trench run to the exposed weak point at the end.

As for the trench run itself... why? I don't mean that like "Why did the director rehash the trench sequence from the original?" I'm asking, "Why were the pilots flying through a trench at all?" Even an establishing shot of the trench followed by some character saying "That's the only way in!" would have been so helpful here. Did that actually happen, maybe? Did I miss something? It's quite possible that I did because the entire sequence was very confusing to me. As is, it seemed to me as if all of the combatants suddenly decide to inexplicably confine themselves to this tiny enclosed space, because "that's what happened in A New Hope and wouldn't it be totally epic if it happened again?"

All in all, I would say that the direction of the film's fighter portions was apparently meant to accommodate viewers who were not paying very close attention to the action, and that this came at the expense of more memorable and stimulating battle sequences (like Yavin! Still the best Star Wars battle 40 years later). I'm sure it earned the filmmakers several million dollars in sales due to increased mass appeal, however, which was of course the primary goal of the film.

if anyone has anything to add to/disagree with what I've written please feel free to fire back
>>
>>64261072
>They should have just turned the Thrawn trilogy into movies and called it a day

Do you believe Disney is going to churn out this trilogy as the final? That's not what Disney does. We're going to have Star Wars for as long as it's going to turn them even a penny in profit.
>>
>>64252983
but at least we've got 7 more movies of them to look forward to! FFS
>>
>>64263746

forgot to add this: I am genuinely looking forward to Gareth Edwards' Rogue One coming out at the end of the year. The direction and pacing of Godzilla 2014 far outstripped the actors and hokey script, and I would love to see some more substantial inspirations from the original trilogy, in terms of style, rather than the cheap (albeit enjoyable) references peppered throughout ANH.

At least the man knows how to hold out a long shot for dramatic effect.

https://youtu.be/QjKO10hKtYw
>>
After watching it a second time yesterday, I think this movie might be better than episode VI. Anyone he thinks it's the same es ANH has clearly not seen the film.
>>
>Deserter protagonist's desertion is rushed
>Doesn't explore his confusion and trying to sort out his thoughts before he makes his big escape
>Just reels at killing civvies and runs
>>
That ending shot with the weird fucking stupid 80's tv rotating aerial shot...anybody feel like that was dumb and out of place?
>>
>>64266093

>Anyone who thinks it's the same as ANH

>Begins with masked villain killing defenseless red shirts/villagers
>Good guy trying to escape sends message away from scene of the massacre in a droid
>Resident of a desert planet leading It's-A-Hard-Knock-Life-For-Us existence discovers droid with message
>Ends up meeting guy familiar with the enemy, being chased by bad guys, and running
>They're aided by a roguish but undeniably good-guy smuggler
>They end up fighting in the enemy base
>Bad guy in cool mask kills an older good guy on a bridge
>Protagonists go back to rebel base and tell them how to destroy giant planet destroying super weapon

>Not the same as A New Hope

ok
>>
>>64260356
>Actual autism
No but seriously I'm glad Johnny and Jordan were able to work everything out
>>
>>64266093
Yes. It should have just ended on the shot of Rey holding out the lightsaber.
>>
>>64267706
Sorry, meant to reply to >>64267172
>>
>>64267185
you could do the same thing with TPM and ANH but i get what youre saying
>>
The franchise is building up new characters and they've been doing a good job, OP, you literal nigger.
>>
Just saw the movie and I genuinely enjoyed it.
Just two things that bothered me.
-Coincidences all over the place in the first half hour
-The film just at times felt way too fucking fast, and some of the characterization suffered for it (eg. Finn's betrayal).

That scene with the two stormtroopers while Ren is throwing his shitfit actually made me laugh.
>>
everything aside, Kylo's and cape-troopers armor is soooo classy i dont care about anything else, fuck SW anyways
>>
>>64267185
You could narrow down any movie, that isn't from von Trier or some other edgy asshole, to a point, where it's the same as The Shawshank Redemption. Many stories start with a guy from the lower class, working his way up to the hero, while suffering losses e.g. death and eventually defeating the evil. I admit, they could've come up with something different than another Deathstar, but they managed to introduce new characters I care for. At the end, the fact that Kylo isn't Vader makes me want to see Episode VIII.
>>
>>64253378
this
>>
>>64268161

Kylo is a boring, angsty moron. He sits in his room taking valium he stole from his mum's medicine cabinet while listening to Youth Code albums and posting edgy crypto-suicidal amateur black and white photography on tumblr. Some villain.
>>
>>64258394
>boba fett
>people love him

Fixed it for ya
>>
>>64252596

kill yourself you faggot little kid.
>>
>>64260009
he was busy checking her out while she was doing some meditating in peace of not being pushed off the cliff
Seriously he was just standing there looking frightened
>>
>>64253304
The "Jeremy Atticus Finch" method.
>>
>>64252596
His death was forgotten about 5 mins after it happened.
No one will care in 2 years time.
>>
>>64252596
killing women is illegal, shitlord
>>
>>64267639
Same
>>
>>64262485

If it's a plot point they should have brought it up in the movie which I guess goes to the point about pacing that others have brought up. A two second line from Leia or Han explaining the origins of the First Order would have done wonders.
>>
>>64268247

That's their boy all right
>>
In galaxy full of many alien species, the main characters are all still human. Wtf senpai

From twileks, wookies, droids, hutts, mandos, and other non humans and humaniods. Disney could have created a really interesting cast.

I did not like the direction or plot of this new trilogy. There were so many possibilities that disney could have taken with star wars. Not having a focus on jedi would have been a great start.
>>
>>64258728

In the prequels, the republic covered tens of thousands of systems.

In TFA, the size of the republic is not mentioned. So we dont really have an idea of large the new republic is. Surely it would be smaller after the galactic civil war
>>
>>64258394

>people compare Phasma to Boba Fett

Maybe ROTJ Boba Fett. ESB Boba Fett actually accomplished shit, that's why people like him. If all Boba Fett did was fall into the Sarlaac Pit he wouldn't be nearly as fondly remembered.
>>
http://www.peterdavid.net/2015/12/29/so-star-wars-my-thoughts/
>Snoke is quite simply the worst name for a villain ever. EV-er. A villain’s name should fill you with fear, a sense of dread. Darth Sidious. There’s a name. Sounds like insidious. Darth Vader. Sounds like invader. Snoke? What the hell? Even putting “Darth” in front of it wouldn’t help. There is also much discussion about whether he is actually a giant. Why? When Vader first spoke with the Emperor’s hologram, HE was a giant. They were just evoking that. Personally I would love it if Snoke were three feet tall. An evil Yoda. That would be freaking hilarious.
>Was there anything I disliked? Honestly, yes. The music. That’s right, the music.
>Hum the “Star Wars” theme. You know it. Hum Luke’s theme. Han and Leia’s theme. Hum the Darth Vader march. Remember the music when the Falcon flies through the asteroids? Hell, the music of the big battle with Darth Maul? These were all tunes that you came out of the theater with them seared into your cerebral cortex.
>Now hum ANY John Williams signature theme from “The Force Awakens.” Go ahead. I’ll wait.
>If you can, you are way ahead of me, because I’ve got nothing. Rey, Finn, Kylo Ren: I can’t pull up any musicals cues directly associated with these characters, and I’ve seen the movie twice. When Williams evokes previous musical cues–Han and Leia’s theme when they reunite–they pop right out at you. But if there are musical themes for any of the new characters, I simply cannot perceive them. I suppose that’s a failure on my part, but to me there’s simply nothing there. I shouldn’t have to sit down and listen to the soundtrack with each piece labeled so I can pick them up in the film. I don’t know what the hell went wrong with Williams in this film, but I’m hoping that it’s fixed by the next film.
>>
>>64270633

O you will get that my friend. Disney shelled out 4 billion for Star War. In 10 years time we could very well have a prequel movie showing Chewbacca's coming of age and meeting Han or what hijinks R2 was up to before episode 1.
>>
>I'M GONNA CALL YOU FINN
>Han Solo winking at screen every time he says something
>quick cuts
>every actor incapable of being on the screen longer than two seconds
>entire movie is exposition, no time is given to flesh out characters, we're just supposed to care when one almost dies

Visuals were incredible though
>>
Why do you need a map in space? All you need are the end coordinates.

Why was there a map to Luke in the first place? Who goes into hiding, makes a map, and gives half of said map to two different people. Why would anyone do that?

This movie was a huge disappointment, though I did like seeing the sets and dogfights.

Theater experience was dogshit as well. Every time an OT character made an appearance, or a throwback line was uttered, the whole fucking theater clapped for a solid 30 seconds.

Bullshit
>>
>>64263237
So the Republic just fucked off then and let a 60 year old woman and a few thousand soldiers do their fighting for them?

That's fucking retarded, especially once the Empire blows up 5 planets at once and breaks their peace with the Republic

That "grand republic fleet" everyone kept mentioning should have showed up asap once the Empire nuked 5 planets, if Bashaar Al Assad nuked 5 neighboring countries for supporting ISIS or the Free Syrian army, you can bet your ass that the US would invade the next day if it didn't just level Syria with nukes itself

Having the whole ending battle again depend on Han, Chewie, and Leia's few dozen X-Wings was a stupid rip-off of episode 4, and should have never happened plot wise
>>
>>64271181
>puzzle piece map
>>
>>64270806

Very different characters

>Phasma = loyal junior infantry officer in her army
>Boba Fett = Intimidating hired gun

How the hell are they alike
>>
>be highly trained soldier in a nazi-like army
>turn off the most important defense system on our deathplanet because some punk pointed a gun at me

she was the absolute worst thing in the movie. you would think that someone of this high caliber would give up their life so that her army wouldn't get crippled.
>>
one thing i loved about the movie is that the lightsaber battles looked really good. they didn't look choreographed like the prequels
>>
>>64263746
Very nice set of posts. The only thing I can add is that I assumed the X-wings were doing that trench run since, as Finn said earlier, staying low to the ground messes up TIEs targeting.
>>
File: traitor.jpg (71 KB, 500x484) Image search: [Google]
traitor.jpg
71 KB, 500x484
Is he the Boba Fett of the new trilogy?
>>
>>64255324

this is such a stupid reasoning. As if being hurt somehow diminished his actual skill. Maybe it lowered his endurance or stamina, but he still would be eminently more skilled with a saber than Rey is. (also he coulda jsut force choked her)

I mean shit 50cent got shot 9 times and the nigga still rapping
>>
>>64272770
>As if being hurt somehow diminished his actual skill

it does being anything that clouds the mind effects a force user. The light and dark side focus on different areas but it's always: trust your feeling, search your feelings, use your hate, clear your mind and so on.

so even a dark side user needs to focus..

Real life pro athletes don't have their "skills" diminished on a physical level by their child being sick, death in the family, legal issue or being in the middle of a divorce. Yet some times those things happen and just wrecks a player's "game" and other times it seems to kick them into another gear motivation wise.
>>
>>64252596
it's obvious Ford was way to expensive to stay in the franchise. that's the only reason he ded.
>>
>>64273590
That and Ford wanted Han to die in Empire because he did fuck all in Jedi and just felt forced in.
>>
File: ToHellWithGreedo.jpg (2 MB, 2385x2233) Image search: [Google]
ToHellWithGreedo.jpg
2 MB, 2385x2233
>>64252596
It was the death of franchise
>>
>>64257771
I reasoned it that R2 was in low power mode because he was devoting all his power to searching his data banks for the missing piece. Doesn't explain the timing but its better than him just waking up for literally no reason.
>>
>>64260898
Starkiller EX!
>>
File: Taking out the trash.png (464 KB, 878x900) Image search: [Google]
Taking out the trash.png
464 KB, 878x900
>>64271521
>loyal
>>
>Leia finds out about Han's death and shows very little emotion.
>no funeral scene at all
>chewie at the end of the movie is hanging out with Rey like nothing happened to his best friend

It just felt a little strange to me that no one in the movie seemed to give a shit about Hon after he died.
>>
>>64260716
>the location is a well known world heritage listed site so it instantly drew me out of the film
My wife's son screamed out "Wuke's on Earth!". It was embarrassing desu
>>
>>64252596
>killing han solo is the death of the franchise
kill yourself
>>
>>64271181

Why even use a map at all.

Couldnt Leia just the force to call and locate Luke.
>>
>>64270633
>tfw all those diversity hires and not one twilek female with big blue tits
>>
>>64275220
Tbh senpai

Even when chewie got back to base, he just walked past leia like nothing happened.
>>
>>64252596
My mom watched the movie she is in her 70s and just loved Han and couldn't believe they killed Him and honestly she is right
>>
>>64263699
how the fuck did u type this so fast
>>
what really bugged me was how the resistance sent 3 people down to the planet to disable the shields when one of them is an old smuggler and the other is someone they just met and is former first order. why didnt they send down a strike team of resistance fighters like they did with endor? are you really going to base your whole plan off of three people infiltrating a gigantic planet sized weapon? then finn doesnt even know what to do so they improvise and somehow it works. everything was way too coincidental and "muh force" doesnt give a good explanation
>>
>>64275801
Finn just lets the plot/the force do its thing and work out a solution for them. It worked because Han didn't think it would.
>>
>>64275865
sounds like a star wars
>>
If Luke was so ashamed of himself for fucking up Han's son that he exiles himself then what is Luke going to do when he finds out that he lost his friend due to that fuck up?
>>
>>64276503
>Fix my mess, Rey-Wan Ayanami, you are my only hope!
>>
>>64260409
To be fair Star Wars, especially ANH and TPM, have plenty of "coincidences". It's The Force.
>>
>>64277284
Yeah. All the Star Wars films are full of coincidences. You really can't fault The Force Awakens for being Star Wars.
>>
>>64252740
>fuck you OP for making yet ANOTHER star wars thread.

It's losing steam, though slowly. Yesterday the top row of the catalog was without a Star Wars thread twice in several minutes. Today there are fewer still. Even autistics get bored given enough repetitions.
>>
File: rey-of-arc.jpg (759 KB, 1010x2048) Image search: [Google]
rey-of-arc.jpg
759 KB, 1010x2048
>>64259881
>>64262122
Concur. She's a saint.
>>
>>64275865
THATS NOT HOW IT WORKS
>>
>>64277723
says you
Of course a link between all organisms would be able to give a solution to a mass destruction weapon
>>
>>64277600
TELL THAT TO KANJACLUB
>>
MY THE FORCE AWAKENS GRIPES

1. It's A New Hope. I like A New Hope, probably my favorite of the series, but they cribbed too much, they copied too much, they played it too safe.

2. It's too rushed. It's too fast paced. I'm someone who complains that Empire drags in the middle, but this movie was just too much too quick.

3. Because it's rushed, I can't buy the character relationships. Finn's "you're the first one to look at me like that" line to Rey was really bizarre because it feels like they just met that morning.

4. Poe comes back from dead and it's weird. Like, I'm not calling it a plothole or anything. It was just kind of weird.

5. The old actors dragged the film, especially Carrie Fisher as Leia, who has some kind of face problem. Ford's performance was okay, but you could tell he didn't want to be there because he didn't want to be there.

6. All the nostalgia. It's like, they introduce the Millennium Falcon, and then they start hitting you with characters. There's a part where it's "hey here's Leia and hey here's 3P0 and hey here's R2" one after the other and they need to chill on that.

7. You can tell, when they wrote the thing, they assumed you saw the other films. With Phantom Menace and A New Hope, they explain things, so you can start at either of those movies. They really should have explained more here, and made this one a starting point as well.

8. Rey was a little too good at things, especially the Force and lightsabers without training. I liked her, but I don't think people are wrong to call her a Mary Sue, and I think her character suffered by not being flawed. She would have been a better character if she wasn't so perfect.

9. Phasma was wasted. They could and should have done more with her. She could have been the Stormtrooper with the shock baton that fights Finn.

I'll do what I liked in a reply.
>>
File: Star-Wars-7-Captain-Phasma.jpg (30 KB, 570x294) Image search: [Google]
Star-Wars-7-Captain-Phasma.jpg
30 KB, 570x294
>literally trash character
I wonder how much they payed for this.

Pretty much not gud by itself/10.
>>
almost every time kylo ren did something, the audience in the theatre I was in laughed

he wasn't really threatening
>>
>>64278023
Oops, forgot a gripe.

10. Death Star 3.0: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut. It was dumb that they had a second Death Star in Jedi. This is dumbererer.

MY THE FORCE AWAKENS LIKES

1. It's Star Wars. They did a good job capturing that feel (in part because they ripped off A New Hope).

2. They did a lot of different things. Not so much with the story (again, it's A New Hope 2: A Newer Hope) but rather in showing aliens and locales and things we'd never seen before, but fit in really well. Jakku was similar to Tatooine, yet felt like a different world with the scavenging stuff. I especially liked the new time stop Force powers. It told me, straight out the gate, this was free of Lucas, free of the "rules" of old Star Wars. Got me pumped, got me excited.

3. BB-8 was gr8 m8. The humor was done really well, probably the best done humor in a Star Wars.

4. Kylo Ren was the runaway star of this film. He was the deepest new character with the most development. He has the strongest character arc. I'm really excited to see what becomes of him.

5. Snokes's giant hologram was cool. I'm a dummy and really thought he was that big.

6. Lightsaber fights in this were the best they've ever been. Each hit was heavy, you could feel them. The fights were harsh and real. I loved Kylo toying with Finn, even more when Finn manages a lucky hit, pissing on Kylo who immediately shuts down the fight. I liked seeing Rey scramble until the Force finally awakened in her (or whatever) and she turned the tide of the fight. I liked when Kylo used those "useless" crossguards to jab at Finn when they're crossing blades: it felt like a wink to those in the audience, like a reaction to the meltdown people were having over that lightsaber. Just overall, great lightsaber fights.

7. Maz Kanata's castle bar hideout was cool. The introduction was fun. People call her a minion and, well, yeah, but I've got a soft spot for the character.
>>
File: 1446516950664.jpg (21 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
1446516950664.jpg
21 KB, 320x320
>>64278023
>6. All the nostalgia. It's like, they introduce the Millennium Falcon, and then they start hitting you with characters. There's a part where it's "hey here's Leia and hey here's 3P0 and hey here's R2" one after the other and they need to chill on that.
>All the young kids said who cares about these guys i like Finn and Rey theyre betterer
>>
>>64278359
8. Han's death was good. Obvious, but good. It felt like a good end to his character, like a closing of his arc.

9. All the bowcaster stuff was a setup. I thought it would just be a one-off joke, but it's actually a setup for Kylo getting blasted by it.

That's about all I can think of off the top of my head. Overall, I'd say it's a good film. Not the best in the series, but certainly not the worst. I'm looking forward to more Star Wars because of it.
>>
>>64278343
She becomes pregnant with the children of a bunch of trash-dwelling monsters and her armor gets warped by the swelling of her belly
>>
>>64260720
WARNING WARNING

RETARD DETECTED

THIS IS NOT A DRILL

RETARD IN THE THREAD
>>
>>64278536
>Rey/Kylo
>Poe/Finn
>Phasma/Dianoga
>THIS IS CANON
>>
>>64252596
It was fine.

The Clone Wars cartoon was better. Dark Ashoka was creepy as fuck.
>>
>>64278640
>Not Hux/Kylo
>>
>>64254843
god damn did you even watch the movie
>>
>>64278359
>free of the "rules" of old Star Wars
This is a sign of only the worst. What we need is someone who isn't Lucas adhering to those old rules.

> I'm a dummy and really thought he was that big.
I was hoping he was, a giant Sith Lord would have been 10/10
>>
>>64278758
>Hux/Snoke
>Chewbacca/Maz Kanata
>>
>>64278359
>those "useless" crossguards
My lore-intensive friend said it was confirmed that Ben found a broken power crystal when he made his lightsaber, and those are power vents that prevent his saber from being like Cyclops without a visor.
>>
>>64278810
If you want them sticking to the rules, you can read through the EU. It's expansive and pretty easily accessible.

The thing I liked about the original films was it seemed like anything could happen in Star Wars, like there were so many planets, but then I'd see other things and they kept going back to Tatooine and using Force lightning. I mean, it's the Force, you should be able to do anything with it. Why not Force fire? Or Force ice? Why does it always have to be the same?
>>
We need a Luke X chewbacca murderbone rampage next episode
>>
>>64278901
It has to be the same because you have a thematic divine power that is formless but contains the essence of life. You cannot stop life, only bend its eternal flow. To stop time would go against the nature of the Force.
>>
File: P4K2dVD.jpg (687 KB, 2560x1529) Image search: [Google]
P4K2dVD.jpg
687 KB, 2560x1529
>>64278876
>>
>>64254843
>2) Ditto the First Order and the Empire
They cut out The Knights of Ren to make hype for the sequel.
>>
File: 1382821056798.jpg (69 KB, 273x421) Image search: [Google]
1382821056798.jpg
69 KB, 273x421
>>64278977
>Accusing finger
>unquestioned authority
Fucking lel
>>
>>64275645

I copy-pasted it from posts I wrote on /m/ beforehand
>>
What is Rey's midi-chlorian count?
>>
>>64252596
I watched the original trilogy last weekend and never realized before just how much Ford's movie star charisma added to those movies. It's something that was severely lacking in the prequels.
>>
What was the "climax"?

I had several moments where I thought the film could have ended, but it kept going on.
>>
>>64270848
not worse than Dooku. Jesus Christ what we're they thinking
>>
>>64279230
The movie would have had the traditionally good SW ending if it cut to the credits when the Falcon hit lightspeed after taking off.
>>
>>64279133
Higher than Luke, lower than Anakin and Rey.
>>
>>64279289
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jizz
>>
>>64270848
The music was noticeably bad. There was the vaguely modern hip-hoppy theme that Rey had. It was shit.
>>
>>64270848
insnoke
>>
>>64279308
That's the one thing TFA doesn't share with ANH and even TPM, is it's ending
>>
>>64279316
How can Rey have a count lower than herself?
>>
Now I know how people felt after seeing phantom menace. Lying to themselves saying it was great, when in retrospect they will realize it was a cliched mess with zero tension.
>>
>>64272756
Actually, I would love to see more stuff about him. He somehow was more memorable han some of the main characters.
>>
>>64278454
Oh, I remembered one.

10. No Sith. I like that they're moving on from that and trying something new, and also sticking to the whole "Anakin ends the Sith" thing.
>>
>>64258394
people love Boba Fett. and Ackbar didn't just say "it's a trap", he instructed the rebels on the plan for Endor, he lead the attack on the Death Star and he had that little moment of relief after the big imperial ship is destroyed. he was a likeable minor character with a prominent role in the climactic conflict, sort of the positive version of Boba in ESB
>>
>>64252771
If Ford wanted out at Empire, then he should have got out. Fuck him for sticking around and moaning, then icing it by coming back for TFA.
>>
>>64279622
Even Rey doesn't have a midichlorian count that high
>>
>>64252596
>Guys TFA is gonna flop it's gonna be bad
>Uh yeah I mean I guess it's doing well but every OTHER movie is gonna be bad! That's what I meant!

The damage control in 2017 when the next film makes a shitload of money and is all everyone talks about is going to be sweet and delicious.
>>
>>64258426
that's too generous. He looks like the offspring of Snape and Dumbo.
>>
>>64259469
This right here.
>>
My biggest complaint is that the Starkiller base is completely useless and pretty obviously grafted onto a plot that didn't have it in early drafts, as an excuse to pad for 40 minutes with a big action scene before they find Luke at the end. Not one single character mentions its existence before it shows up and conveniently destroys the Republic to set up Trench Run Mk.2, the principal villain (Snoke) doesn't give a shit about losing it, and the movie completely skips any celebration scenes from the Resistance to immediately jump back to the Quest for Luke plot
>>
>>64252596
>killing han solo is the death of the franchise

Killing Solo didn't move me at all. It was like putting down a dog you haven't seen in 30 years, a dog who got pretty fucking old, so old it makes you feel bad and you're relieved when he disappears down the abyss. Your only regret is that Leia the Hutt didn't accompany him into the dark.
>>
File: SW new characters.jpg (97 KB, 672x338) Image search: [Google]
SW new characters.jpg
97 KB, 672x338
>Resistance
why is it even a resistance why not the armadians or something like that?
Develop Poe as a cocky pilot who is still a great bro and make him trigger Hux.
How was the Republic before they blew up
Why nobody seemed to be worried about the star killer?
No CGI Maz kantana
turn her cantina into an antique shop inside her busted ship so it can be its own thing and can be used to explain how the republic works.
Make Rey a hunter and make her trigger phasma.
Hans Solo is looking for his son rather than dropping the ''resistance''
why didnt they upgrated their ships after all this time?
Make Finn the Jedi and never try to attack the FO before his fight againts Kylo.
Last scene is finn going to the First Jedi Temple with Luke in the center of it with NO stupid helicopter.

>First Order
why didnt they upgrated their ships?
switch Tr8r with phasma.
Change Hux nazi speech to something more original.
No CGI Snoke.
Have the Kylo or Hux saying that human are more skilled than clones so you dont have to question why they changed strategy anyways.

dont what the sequel could be about without rip-offing the OT futher more.maybe going like a better Attack of the clones.anyways there was a lot of things i enjoyed in this movie:

>FO ship blocking Jakku(poetry)
>Kylo Ren stopping a blast mid-air/everytime he use the Force
>Competent Stormtroopers
>Blood on Finn mask
>Rey in Empire junk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3YcCLaTnBE
>pratical effects
>Hans talking about his wild adventures
>Kylo talking to dead ol Vader
>Knights of Ren flashback
>Kylo chasing Rey
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRRPCjr1Ito
>Finn vs Tr-8r
>March of the resistance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueqKtype7Kk
>Kylo tempter tantrums
>Snow stormtrooper(yeah yeah toys but still)
>Hans Solo Death (the visuals)
>finally a balanced lightsaber duel(its either boring or retarded)
>Luke Reveal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUBUlKgsNK8&spfreload=10
>>
>>64280459

>that niggest face

I literally can't like this guy. He's a fine actor and did his job well, but his face just looks like an insult to me. Not sure why.
>>
>be a bong
>just got back from the film
>at the end there was a smattering of applause
>my fucking face when literally most of the audience burst out laughing at them
>>
File: sw finn the jedi.jpg (162 KB, 736x920) Image search: [Google]
sw finn the jedi.jpg
162 KB, 736x920
>>64280543
boyega doesnt really an atractive face (yet not ugly more like really average) but i like attack the block so i got used to it
>>
guys, how did poe leave jakka?
and he left without the bb-8?
>>
>>64254843
4)the Capital that blew up was Hosnian Prime, of the Hosnian System, which is the new place for the Galactic Senate, started by Mon Mothma, who is now probably, fucking dead.

1/2)The Resistance is similar to the Rebellion in that its against the order, but it's more of a secret thing because the New Republic is on the surface, a neutral state. Unlike how the Republic became the Empire. The First Order is kind of a terrorist group with a lot of technological advancement and budget, based on the aesthetic and principles of the old empire.

3)If Leia was chancellor she would have died and then less ticket sales idk

5) The First Order was most likely founded by Empire sympathizers and outcasts/veterans and uses similar hardware. The Republic was big enough to create their own technology but all of it was wiped out when StarKiller Base took out the Hosnian System.

6) Her force was awakened by being exposed to the most powerful force artifact in recent history. She is wieldy with a staff which helps with a similar hand-to-hand weapon. Ren was injured so he was slower and he also wields a makeshift, heavy weapon. Rey is also either 1)The Daughter of Luke Skywalker, 2)The Daughter of Han and Leia, or less likely 3)a surviving member of the jedi school
>>
>>64279715
>No Sith

But Darth Plagueis is in it
>>
>>64280405
>killing a female character
Are you fucking kidding, it's 2015
>>
>>64279622
Rey isn't the only Rey.
>>
>>64280953
What makes you think that
>>
>>64280849
daily reminder
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05dT34hGRdg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSQ3BJVMfAI
>hans solo talking with Kylo ren
>Your son is gone. He was weak and foolish like his father, so I destroyed him.
>That's what Snoke wants you to believe, but it's not true. My son is alive.
>No. The Supreme Leader is wise.
>>
Why didn't they explain Rey's character? What was the point of that?
>>
>>64252596
Harrison has wanted to kill off Han even since ROTJ, he couldn't get his way with Lucas but JJ couldn't say no.
>>
>>64281208
There's going to be more movies with her
>>
>>64281266
That's not a good reason. Rey character in TFA is shit
>>
File: korra.jpg (221 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
korra.jpg
221 KB, 500x500
>>64281208
>Rey's character
mary-sue so women can feel strong about themselve.there is worst out there like korra from avatar.
Avatar=Star wars(ba sing se=ESB)
TLoK=prequels
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.