[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
good evening, /tv/ after having reread the original graphic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: poster.jpg (191 KB, 1120x1500) Image search: [Google]
poster.jpg
191 KB, 1120x1500
good evening, /tv/

after having reread the original graphic novel earlier this week I also rewatched the Ultimate Cut of Watchmen tonight to compare the two.
I thought the movie was deeply flawed and although it was well-shot it ultimately failed as an adaption of the comic.

- drawn out and unnecessarily violent
- cringe-worthy sex-scene in the owl-ship
- some terrible casting (Veidt and Laurie)
- some terrible characterization (again, Veidt and Laurie)

my biggest gripe with it is that ultimately they just shot all the important scenes but without the context that gave them weight in the comic. nothing seems to matter, the point never really comes across, Snyder just went through the motions with the movie and it shows.

What did you think of Watchmen, /tv/?
>>
>>64246521
I've only seen the theatrical version and I think it's great.

If you don't think that scene where Along The Watchtower is badass youre a fag.
>>
>>64246521
favorite comic book movie, one of my favorite adaptations too. I liked it all, characters were done well imo, the characterization didnt seem to far off from what the books did and I liked the ending better than the books. I think the unnecessary violence was on purpose like we as an audience are supposed to be repulsed by the violence that these heroes commit
>>
>>64248197
You could have just said "I didn't understand the comic."
>>
>>64248197
>and I liked the ending better than the books.
You mean the ending that negates the premise of the movie?
>>
>>64246521
It always amuses me when this board shits on Snyder but defends this abomination of a movie.
>>
>>64248496
You forgot Man of Steel, too.
>>
>>64248496
Not as bad as people trying to convince you that Sucker Punch was 3deep6me
>>
I get why fans of the comic hate it, I really do.

I think it should have been a miniseries. That format would have been better to fit everything into.
>>
>>64248667
Here is the thing about any adaptation of it: Part of what makes the source material so good is that it is designed for the medium. It's self-referential, with multiple layers of abstraction between the story and the reader.

Turning it into a direct film adaptation, for the big or small screen, removes a lot of what makes it good.

Look at the way the cut the black freighter into the super duper extended definitive directors cut, it has absolutely none of the impact or meaning that it did in the comic.
>>
>>64248854
That's a fair assessment. Its literally impossible to adapt a comic book to screen without losing something in the process, be it Watchmen or something a bit more contemporary like Spider-Man.

But to lessen the damage, a format like a miniseries could have a lot more of those story elements from the Watchmen comic.
and fuck DC for making that godawful Before series.
>>
File: 1426135125208.jpg (64 KB, 720x576) Image search: [Google]
1426135125208.jpg
64 KB, 720x576
>>64246521
It's really not that bad... One of Zacks better films.
But hey, I also think MoS is also the best superman film to date so..
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.