[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Top grossing film
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 7
File: star-wars-avatar.jpg?w=640.jpg (166 KB, 640x320) Image search: [Google]
star-wars-avatar.jpg?w=640.jpg
166 KB, 640x320
Will TFA finally be the film to top Avatar?

>Avatar - $2.788 billion since 2009
>Star Wars: The Force Awakens - $1.161 billion since mid December 2015
>>
'no'
>>
>>64245778

I hope so.

Avatar was literal fucking garbage.

TFA is also literal fucking garbage but I consider TFA the lesser of both evils because CGI is fucking disgusting
>>
Doesn't really matter since Batman vs Superman is going to BTFO both of them.
>>
James Cameron did 9/11
>>
>>64245778
It'd be a more worthy number 1, even if it's nothing spectacular: Avatar is trash. Can't see it doing it though. 2nd place looks likely though.
>>
>>64245778
No, but seeing as how it's beating all of JW's records without having opened in China yet, I see it easily becoming the new #3

MAYBE beating Titanic, certainly beating pre-2012/3D re-release Titanic's numbers.
>>
Even if it doesn't it's almost guaranteed that Episode 8 will.
>>
>>64245778
Nah. It's gonna flop hard in China, which is hilarious given how much they're putting into advertisement there.

Without China, it'll never reach Avatar.
>>
>>64245992
Episode 8 won't have the same hype level as Force Awakens

It'll easily make a billion but won't be anything record-setting
>>
>>64245994
>Nah. It's gonna flop hard in China

Why do people keep saying this? Because the government wouldn't release the films until the prequels and even then it was late and had no marketing at all? I have the feeling it will do huge business there this time around and we'll have to put up with Chinese themed Star Wars memes.
>>
>>64246111
because of all the "diversity" in TFA
>>
>>64245994
>>64246111
If Transformers can be a massive success in China, so can a movie that's actually halfway decent.
>>
>>64246050
This.

None of the sequels in the original and prequel trilogies surpassed the first film in terms of box office.
>>
you guys pumped for avatar land?
>>
>>64246175
It has been marketed to the point where it can't fail. What competition will it even have in Chinese cinemas upon release? Disney probably bribed government officials to ensure it had an open release window with nothing else major releasing. It would have been a wise investment.
>>
>>64245778
Is this even a question

>Biggest movie franchise so embedded in pop culture, makes a return of after 10 years is somehow not the top grossing film of all time.
>>
>>64245869
Oh no it's retarded
>>
>>64246196
Not necessarily, depends completely on the next film. If the next film is as good, or even better than TFA, then the final one could go even further.
>>
>>64245869
Am I the only one who thinks BvS is going to do really average numbers?

I don't think it will be a flop, I'm anticipating very underwhelming box office returns though.
>>
>>64245994
>b b but China
I don't get a dime from either of these pieces of agitprop. Why is /tv/ so emotionally invested in how much a film grosses?
>>
File: 1443665962105.jpg (33 KB, 480x454) Image search: [Google]
1443665962105.jpg
33 KB, 480x454
>AVATAR WAS RELEASED IN 2009
WHAT
THE FUCK
>>
>>64246111
>Why do people keep saying this?
1. Star Wars was never officially released in China. This will be the first Star Wars film shown in Chinese theaters. It is not at all popular in China, most people don't know about it, and that's a hard sell to ask them to go see number 7 in a movie series they've never seen or cared about.

2. Late release means bootleggers beat them to the punch. If you're Chinese and you wanted to see Star Wars, you already have.

3. It flopped in South Korea. Now, South Korea is a country where Star Wars was actually released, but like China, they don't care about Star Wars. South Korea is also a country where they tried hard to get people to go to see Star Wars (they even flew the stars to Korea for a meet and greet). Despite all this, it failed, and was beat in Korea by a Korean film called "The Himalayas."

To put it another way, do you think the average American would go see Epic Story of Stars 7, the seventh film in a long-running series of Chinese movies/books/comics/cartoons that nobody in America has really ever heard of (you might be familiar with a few aspects, like the mask of Xao looks vaguely familiar to you). Oh, and to top it off, if you want to see it, instead of waiting for the theaters to show it, you could easily watch it for free online or get it off a bootlegger.

How was do you think Epic Story of Stars 7 would do in America?
>>
Avatar is the definition of a fad. People stopped hyping it up a little after it came out on DVD, and then it dropped off the face of the Earth. Had James Cameron not been involved, Avatar would have flopped. His name and the susceptibility of dipshit consumers to marketing for 3D/IMAX shit alone are the only reason that pile of garbage broke records. The fact that James Cameron thinks he can make three sequels within his lifetime and make similar amounts of money is astounding.
>>
>>64246380
>thread is about how much a film grosses
>"why do you care"
I just like talking about things on the internet. I also lived in China for a while, am from Asia, and still live in an Asian country at the moment.

If you don't care, or you don't want to talk about this topic, you can discuss something else elsewhere, or do something else.
>>
>>64246541
so how badly will warcraft beat tfa?
>>
>>64246526
Not a single James Cameron film after Terminator 1 was a flop.
>>
>>64246714
That's probably why I said:
> Had James Cameron not been involved, Avatar would have flopped.
>>
>>64246595
At least twice as many people in China will see Warcraft over Star Wars.
>>
File: 1376435254544.png (100 KB, 342x245) Image search: [Google]
1376435254544.png
100 KB, 342x245
Who gives a fuck?
>>
>>64246790
All the shills here want a bigger paycheck
>>
>>64245778
Instead of saying they're competing for the top selling movie of all time, people should just call it like it is and say they're competing for the most mediocre movie of all time.
>>
>>64246364
It will top the box office for march because fuck all else is coming out. It wont do more than middling though... theyre going a strange route to set up their universe, and its gonna backfire.
>>
>>64246595
Literally what?

I remember watching Avatar years ago and though I was impressed by the visual effects I really have no desire to ever watch it again. That said I hope TFA beats it. So we can see what Cameron does to top the first film. This is going to be an interesting couple of years at the box office desu.
>>
>>64247003
you actually know about it, so its not mediocre

I, Frankenstein may be it
>>
>>64245843
>mfw i actually kind of agree with this but instead find myself rooting for capeshit

thanks 2015
>>
>>64246991

>shills
>on tv

how does it feel to be a bottom feeder?
>>
>>64247029
>implying it'll still be playing in march
It'll probably disappear from theaters in February.

Besides, Batman vs Superman will outsell March anyhow.
>>
File: 1376101460736.gif (622 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1376101460736.gif
622 KB, 250x250
>>64247184
>BvS
>ANY hype
>>
>>64245778
Hyped memes vs hyped smurfs

Which will win? Probably the shitty one.
>>
>>64247184
There's a batman movie coming out?
>>
>>64247235
>BvS
>not selling tickets

I think it'll be shit, too, but people are going to see it. It's going to make money, especially over a film that's been in theaters for three months.
>>
File: british teeth.jpg (3 MB, 4500x2527) Image search: [Google]
british teeth.jpg
3 MB, 4500x2527
>>64247099

>thanks 2015

Literally the worst year for mainstream movies
>>
>>64247184
It'll be running for a while. Avatar ran for 34 weeks and it had a much weaker start than Star Memes.
>>
>>64247344
It will make as much as MOS. But compared to TFA it will seem irrelevant.
>>
>>64247498
It won't make TFA money, of course.

But it could easily outsell TFA's March sales (assuming it stays in theaters beyond January).

C'mon, son. Get it together.
>>
>>64247566
>could
Well crap, if it can't do that it's a massive bomb. TFA won't be pulling in too much more than what, 10m a week by then.
>>
>>64247498
It'll do much better than MoS, because Batman is a guaranteed box office draw in a way that Supes isn't.

I predict it'll do about as well as TDK or TDKR
>>
>>64245869
No... No it won't
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.