[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So the X-Files comes back on the 16th of January, which gives
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: xfiles.jpg (81 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
xfiles.jpg
81 KB, 1024x576
So the X-Files comes back on the 16th of January, which gives me about 17 days to watch all 202 episodes. Assuming an average of 45 minutes per episode, that's roughly 6 days and 7 hours worth of tv.

Now in theory I could probably do that, and I'm already 5 episodes in. I'm just curious as to whether or not binge watching will ruin anything, atmospherically speakng I mean, and whether it's even worth it. My hunch is that nothing will be wrecked because it follows a Buffy-like monster of the week structure, with some overarching lore lurking in the background. At the same time though that makes me think it's not worth marathoning, and I could get away with just watching the 'important' episodes and also the movies and still be up to date enough to shitpost with /tv/ in Jan.

On the other hand, since it's so acclaimed, there's probably tons of relationship and character development that I'd miss out on, which would just be a national tragedy, Burt.

Should I try or nah?

Also X-Files general I guess.
>>
what are the important episodes?
>>
>>64231387
The ones marked with double daggers on this page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_X-Files_episodes I assume.
>>
Don't, we get less tripfag shitposters that way. Thank you
>>
I'm about halfway through season 5 and I'm already bored desu.
>>
I watched it all in about a week and a half, glad I did
>>
>>64231436
Just because there are "myth arc" and "monster of the week" episodes doesn't mean important character development doesn't happen in MotW episodes.

A lot of Sully's cancer arc happens in MotW episodes. You'd miss Cancer Man's backstory, Skinner's vietnam angst, etc.

My recommendation is to watch it episode by episode but if you're being bored by a MotW episode (there's PLENTY of shit ones) you can skip it. I've never seen Tesos dos Bichos or that evil tree episode all the way through and I've never felt like I missed anything important.
>>
>>64231035
>it follows a Buffy-like monster of the week structure, with some overarching lore lurking in the background.

Not exactly. There's almost never any consequential plot development in MOTW episodes - the overarching myth feels like an almost completely separate continuity.

It's hard to make a recommendation, really. Mytharch eps are generally better in the first few seasons, but the main plot goes to shit sometime after the events of the first movie. The meme-ey MOTWs are a lot more enjoyable in the second half.
>>
Watch it all, and watch the movies. (And Lone Gunmen spinoff) It is all worth watching. You can do it OP!
>>
you don't have to watch the new show the moment it airs.
>>
>>64232198
That's just not true, then if I want to talk about it I'll have to start a thread with something like
>now that the dust has settled...
>>
>>64232296
and everybody LOVE those!
>>
>>64233182
So you see my dilemma.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.