[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>i loved it >it was everything i wanted it to be How do
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 20
>i loved it
>it was everything i wanted it to be
How do you feel about your lord and savior Mike Stoklasa saying the new Star Wars movie was great?

Is Mr Plinkett officially ruined?
>>
That and their Jurassic World appreciation really showed how they are bought by the major companies.

They are paid reviewers.
>>
Gotta think of that Patreon.
>>
i cannot stand these guys
>>
Their biggest fanbase is Reddit. So it is only natural for them to appeal to Reddit sensibilities.
>>
>caring about what racists think
>>>/pol/
>>
of course he liked it

did you not listen to the plinkett reviews
>>
What's crazy is how much they were shitting on it in the christmas special last year.
>>
But it was great
>>
>>64229966
Did you watch his Indiana Jones review where he highlighted the importance of originality and taking risks?

This Star Wars movie was manufactured to be 100% safe and simple that it copied the script of the original film. Liking this film means he's selling out.
>>
>>64230016
The difference between TFA and TCS is that TCS just had old shit shoved in your face while TFA, while using a mostly recycled plot, mainly focused on brand new characters and setting up their plotlines. It would have been really easy for them to shove Luke all over the movie and had Han and Leia riding along with them the whole time, but they resisted. Also, I'd call killing Han a pretty big risk (even if it was probably the only way they could get him to give a shit)
>>
>>64229870
Jurassic World is legitimately good though. Only Reddit and IMDB hates it.
>>
>>64230016
Is Crystal Skull a worse movie than TFA?
>>
>>64230250
No, it's slightly above prequels tier.
>>
>>64230204

>jurassic world is good

hello reddit
>>
>>64230271
So they're inconsistent really, shitting on Crystal Skull because George Lucas but TFA is everything they wished for?
>>
>>64230113
oh look it's the "setting up future installments" meme.

all TFA did was kill Han, introduce Kylo Ren and a couple of even more one-dimensional villains, get Rey and Finn onto the Millenium Falcon. Finn's unique character arc is already over, Rey is a magic girl, and the Republic and New Order aren't clearly defined enough as entities for us to feel like their conflict is anywhere in particular.
>>
File: Oldschool Mike.webm (2 MB, 472x352) Image search: [Google]
Oldschool Mike.webm
2 MB, 472x352
>>64229828
anybody got sauce on this?
>>
>>64230250
>>64230271
>>64230303

it's crazy how you can watch the /tv/ narrative get spun in posts like these, here we see a faggot who can't make up his own mind about movies, so he asks for /tv/ to make up his opinion for him, so that he can be part of the cool club and make sure he's not "reddit"

almost immediately afterwards he pretends the opinion was his all along, and tries to make a hypothesis about the movies moments before he needed to be told what to think about

this is how in a weeks time /tv/ went from mostly enjoying TFA to being at war with it
>>
>>64229828
There is a pretty good Plinkett commentary for ANH, I think they could do positive but critical Plinkett review of TFA
>>
>>64229870
>RLM says a blockbuster is shit
>"Yeah, rip that piece of shit a new asshole!"
>RLM says a blockbuster is good
>"They must be paid shills for not agreeing with me."
>[ X-Files Theme plays ]
>>
>I absolutely loved Jurassic World!

- Mike Stoklasa, former hero of /tv/
>>
File: 1451122722053.jpg (46 KB, 540x405) Image search: [Google]
1451122722053.jpg
46 KB, 540x405
>>64230493
>>
You made this same thread this morning too. How is the RLM office?

Either way, they're dead. They like whatever shit Disney shits in their mouths. Even defended capeshit. Fuck them.
>>
>>64230450
positive but critical is what their HITB review was.

it's a copout because it doesn't put their judgement of the film in context with any of their other reviews. I mean for god's sake the Plinkett AVATAR review basically went beyond the movie to imply that Cameron's egomania was behind everything about the movie, yet Disney can pander and underperform and Mike shrugs? please.
>>
The New Order is fucking shit, at least the The Empire had actually taken over and looked threatening, these new clowns are about as scary a a bunch of little girls in halloween masks. They are just a bunch of le edgy Nazis who lost all their power when Sheev got killed, and even though they managed to build and even bigger Death Star, it just got destroyed just as easily as the last one.

You know, when the bad guys keep trying the same shit, and they keep getting wreckd, the threat kind of vanishes. It's just a joke at this point that we're expected to believe these guys are a real danger anymore. I'm amazed people are giving this dull rehash rave reviews, and Mike just isn't making sense judging from his track record.
>>
>>64230493
>share a pizza with some dude
>"this pizza tastes like shit"
>two days later, order the same pizza
>"I think it tastes ok"
>>
File: the farce awakens.jpg (301 KB, 699x1211) Image search: [Google]
the farce awakens.jpg
301 KB, 699x1211
Why is there a resistance when the Empire is destroyed?

How powerful is the New Order actually? They say it's the remnants of the Empire yet the Empire didn't have the means to build a Death Star the size of a planet.

What's the deal with the Republic? Who are they and why isn't Leia with them?

Why did Hux hold a speech for his men before firing the death star? It's not like they're marching to war. For the guys, it's just another day at the office.

Why did this movie make such a big deal out of the Republic being destroyed when we don't even know what the Republic actually was?

How could a stormtrooper janitor use a lightsaber efficiently to the point of holding quite well against a Sith disciple?

How could an untrained girl defeat a Sith disciple when she didn't know about the Force until 30 minutes ago and this was her first time using a lightsaber?

What was the point of the aliens released in the cargo? It had no impact on the movie at all save that scene.

Why were Finn and Poe such good friends when they met? They had spent a total of five minutes together, with four of them consisting of Poe doubting Finn's abilites.

What was the point of Luke making it so hard to find him and why did R2D2 wake up at such a convenient time of the story?

Why is the Empire still building death stars with massive weak points?

Why is Hux leading the New Order when he looks like he's in High School? Surely there is someone with more experience than him around.

What is the point of Maz? They say she's some pirate but why would someone like that be of value to a jedi like Luke?

Is Luke really that indifferent to the galaxy that he's willing to let four planets blow up rather than intervene himself?

Why was the Millenium Falcon so conveniently placed there? Did someone forget to take the car keys?

Why does Snoke like a Playstation character and what's with that stupid ass name?
>>
>>64229933
Everything's biggest fanbase is reddit, you dumb cuck.
>>
>>64230695
>The New Order is fucking shit, at least the The Empire had actually taken over and looked threatening, these new clowns are about as scary a a bunch of little girls in halloween masks.

which is why Disney had them destroy a bunch of planets no one cared about.

this movie was transparently cobbled-together and lacked any creative drive. RLM's only unique characteristic was being willing to call people out for things like that in an entertaining way. they've simply taken away their own reason to exist.
>>
>>64230722
only 1/3 of these questions are not retarded
>>
File: 1423390257988.png (204 KB, 3952x4200) Image search: [Google]
1423390257988.png
204 KB, 3952x4200
>>64230774
That explains why everything is so shit then now doesn't it
>>
>>64230364
>introduce Kylo Ren and a couple of even more one-dimensional villains,
He's far less one-dimensional than any villain in A New Hope
>>
>Mike thought a good movie was good

OUTRAGEOUS!
>>
/tv/ is such a cancerous board. You're all wrong; the film is great.
>>
They liked both Avenger movies and Guardians of the Galaxy.

How is it surprising that they liked TFA?
>>
>>64231097
How are these hack jobs still getting shilled here despite representing so much of what this board hates? They even got a sticky.
>>
>>64230016
That's fairly black and white thinking. TFA is not entirely old content, there's plenty of new things going on.
>>
>>64231154
>there's plenty of new things going on.

Like what?
>>
>>64230722
It's a sad day when a random anon can btfo the former king of /tv/
>>
>>64230722
they actually addressed half those points in their review
>>
>>64230722
>What was the point of Luke making it so hard to find him and why did R2D2 wake up at such a convenient time of the story?
Oh gee I wonder. You are fucking dumb mate.
>>
>>64230682
They're just people. Also Plinkett reviews are very critical and intentionally directly insulting to the person who made the film, whether it's George Lucas, James Cameron or Rick Berman. A Plinkett review is more harsh and crotchety than a HITB episode, which is why he uses a fictional psychotic old man murderer character for those reviews.

Remember Mike said he doesn't even care that much about Star Wars. In the Plinkett reviews he is playing more offended than he actually is, as well as playing as a completely different, fictional person.
>>
this fag only likes every cape shit out there, I don't see why he wouldn't like an objectively okay movie?
>>
>>64230972
that's incredibly debatable.

Vader was balanced between faith-based religion and technology (his suit). Tarkin was cold and totalitarian but also superficially urbane and civilized. They both have contradictions.

The difference is that Kylo contradictions are at the expense of how intimidating he is, not that he has more actual dimensions. Vader even had a more well-developed backstory than he did.

He's an Anakin anti-hero awkwardly inserted into a villain role by hacks who didn't know what they were doing.
>>
>>64231366
Yeah, no. Every press story on Plinkett (including their own documentary on their archive DVD) tells the tale of Mike wanting to review Star Trek Generations as himself but it sounded stupid to him so he borrowed Rich's Plinkett voice.

Splitting Mike's opinions off from Plinkett's is an incredibly weak way for the RLM cult to deal with their cognitive dissonance.
>>
OP, I'm not even sure if they said it was great explicitly. Every time they rattled on about their expectations and how it was great you could tell they were holding back laughter.

Then at the end they yelled ''IT'S SHIT.'' and cut the footage.
>>
>>64229828
>Is Mr Plinkett officially ruined?
There hasn't been a proper Plinkett review for years.
>>
>>64231617
He created an exaggerated character to make the reviews more entertaining. You don't think the kidnapped hooker stuff was in the original version of his scripts where he was just being himself, do you?
>>
>>64231579
You're just reading things into it, and taking things from other movies like Empire.

Vader really was nothing more than a badass evil dude in ANH.
Tarkin had like what, one single interesting scene?
Does anyone who doesn't obsess about Star Wars even remember his name?
>>
>>64231655
>the end bit wasn't just a joke, r-right guys?
Kill yourself, moron.
>>
so Mike "Kill the kike" Stoklasa was a kike all along. pottery.
>>
>>64230722

When was the empire destroyed?

The emperor died. It's not like everyone is going to shrug and not go to work tomorrow.
>>
>>64231890
It's been 40 years after though and they don't call themselves the empire anymore.
>>
>>64231731
uhhhh duhhhh yeah i do uhhh duhhh i also think he claimed that TPM had no heart because he was really inhabiting the character on the level of deniro in the 70s duhhhh
>>
I mean, the characters are interesting given the circumstances they were put on.
But the universe itself doesn't make sense at all.
The resistance should have been the Republic's army or something.
Why in the fuck the Star Destroyer and its destructive power wasn't known fact to the Resistance? If their sole purpose in the movie was to look for Luke because there were evil force users around, wouldn't be more coherent to focus their efforts on them instead? It was Leia's fucking son ffs
At the end of the movie you have 2 literals, a furry enthusiast and a old fart destroying the entirety of the Order's army with little to no effort. Makes you wonder why didn't they attack them directly in the first place.

I guess the whole point of the movie was to "reboot" the franchise to their origins. But what they really did was shit in all the per-established ideas.
>>
>>64231208
Most of the characters and the origins, scenes, technology, events, dialogue, aliens, political structure, motivations of the characters (finding luke), relationships between the characters, the villain and his motivation, the climax being a lightsaber fight between the main character and the villain, and literally all the things people are able to have conversations here about, otherwise we would just talk about ANH and TFA as if they were identical.

Pretty much everything except the broadest of strokes is original. Having a desert planet with a sphere shaped weapon with a gun on it to be destroyed does not make the movie entirely and only unoriginal. Glib facsimile is a weak meme that doesn't hold up.
>>
>>64231747
we're clearly not going to agree

you're underrating the amount the original Star Wars script got done with a small amount of dialogue and hints at great depth. that's because Star Wars was a well-written film that artfully compressed character information.

objectively: Vader DID have a proper backstory and history with both Obiwan and Luke. Tarkin's dialogue with Leia and then at the Death Star meeting got a lot more done to make the Empire threatening than the Starkiller Base blowing up 4 planets.

I notice you're not trying to claim that Hux, Snoke and Phasma were well-written or original villains. if the writers of TFA are truly to be credited for doing something interesting with Kylo, why couldn't they apply the same level of talent to the rest of the antagonists.

Because they are shit. There was nothing there. Kylo isn't a particularly well-written character at all, he's just an emo stereotype transplanted into an inappropriate role in the story, making him seem more original than he was.

next time you watch TFA count the number of scenes Kylo got and compare them with Vader and Tarkin's screentime. then compare the impact those guys had. you are apologizing for the work of a bunch of clowns who spent billions on a property they had no real plans for.
>>
I knew they were gonna like it ... because it was actually a good star wars movie and every normal person liked it.
>>
>>64232177
>objectively: Vader DID have a proper backstory and history with both Obiwan and Luke.
It was just something "he was a good friend who turned to the dark side and killed your father".
Alec Guinness did a great job delivering those lines though.

>done to make the Empire threatening than the Starkiller Base blowing up 4 planets.
They blew up a planet with zero strategic value because lol evil.
The empire was quite cartoonishly evil.
(not that I liked the Starkiller stuff, I didn't)

>I notice you're not trying to claim that Hux, Snoke and Phasma were well-written or original villains
They weren't the focus.
You wouldn't claim that the Emperor was well-written in ANH too.

>making him seem more original than he was.
Who's saying anything about originality?
>>
>>64232392

SW was never meant for normies reeeeee
>>
>>64232479
Yes it was, autists just decided to pick it up and shape it as they saw fit with the EU bullshit but they got btfo again
>>
>>64232456
>It was just something "he was a good friend who turned to the dark side and killed your father".
>Alec Guinness did a great job delivering those lines though.

yeah, and Kylo literally killed Han on-screen

now ignore the fact that we know Vader was actually Luke's father and ask yourself which scene had more impact in the movie they occurred in. remember that Vader having "killed" Luke's father is followed by him "killing" his new surrogate father Obi Wan - which is itself paid off when Obi Wan helps Luke blow up the Death Star

in comparison, Han dies and no one gives a fuck. like Disney you're missing the fact that individual scenes don't exist in isolation but are supposed to all add up together and build up the conclusion.

>They blew up a planet with zero strategic value because lol evil.

it was explained in the Death Star meeting scene why they did that. go watch the movie again dude.

>Emperor in ANH

everything we learn about the Empire in ANH is embodied by him when he shows up in the later movies.

this is really quite simple. you don't get how stories are more than the sum of their parts. a hodgepodge of ideas like TFA isn't going to seem that bad to you as you don't miss the cumulative effect.
>>
>>64232581
the EU is coming back. they've already referenced Lord Spellvin the Wrecker of Yavin 12 in one of the new novels,
>>
>>64232690
>in comparison, Han dies and no one gives a fuck.
it gets more of an reaction than obi-wan "dying"

>it was explained in the Death Star meeting scene why they did that.
It was just some bullshit like "show our might".
It's a ridiculously evil reason to blow up a whole populated planet.

>you don't get how stories are more than the sum of their parts
And you don't get how it's not fair to compare TFA to the whole original trilogy.
Wait until the other movies come for such a comparison.
>>
>>64232064
The Resistance was the republic secret army, they didn't know about Starkiller Base because it was made on an uncharted planet in space that the Republic doesn't explore or track, and the heroes are able to take down the base because that's what heroes do
>>
>>64229870

I liked Jurassic World and even I thought TFA was shit. Jurassic World has flaws, but overall it's a coherent story. TFA fails on a basic storytelling level, relying too much on coincidence and plot-magic to get from point A to B, and it lacks even a satisfying conclusion (instead opting for the "wait until the next movie for the answers tee hee!" sort of sequel-baiting). There isn't even an intimidating antagonist. Like, for all the problems of Jurassic World, the I-Rex is at least a threat to our protagonists. There is nothing like that in TFA. It's absurd how truly poor the storytelling is in this movie, I actually can't believe it.
>>
>>64232690
Kenobi died a warrior-wizard's death.

Han Solo died a fucking chump's, and it's completely contradictory to his character, who is supposed to be smarter than that.
>>
>>64233003
>full of regrets over losing his son to the dark side
>promised to do anything to get him back
>drops his guard when finally encountering him again

yeah, really unbelievable
>>
>>64232878
>I'm just going to ignore the main thrust of your argument
>I'm even going to pretend you are comparing TFA to the whole trilogy when you actually addressed that directly

whatever dude

>"show our might"

https://youtu.be/Zzs-OvfG8tE
>>
>>64233003
it's worse than that

Leia literally talked him into do it, bringing up the issue in both her scenes with him. so both Han and Leia end up looking like retards.
>>
>>64232177
Kylo has an extensive backstory implied that we don't explicitly know about, they could already make an entire movie just about that. Rey has an implied significant backstory, including having a reason to believe someone is coming back for her. Finn's untold backstory is attached to the way TNO gets it's power and soldiers, there's more than can be said about that. Because this is a sequel trilogy there's less ability to invoke great historical mysteries than in the originals, but we also get the mystery of there being an old Jedi temple, and sites of great importance that Luke pursues. Also all the alleged 'bullshit unexplained things' that people like to pretend are oversights and confusions, are the same type of mystery and implied backstory as the original had.

People miss a lot of this movie because they completely insist Disney is incapable of these mysteries, so when the mysteries come up, including why Rey is so powerful, they say they absolutely must be a mistake instead of a designed choice.
>>
>>64232979
Jurassic World tried to do the same sort of reveal that Jurassic Park did, where we're supposed to be in awe of the dinosaurs. I think they even play the same music when the dinosaurs are finally revealed.

It just doesn't work because we've seen dinosaurs before and CGI just doesn't impress audiences any more.

The audience reaction to Jurassic Park and Jurassic World couldn't have been more different. I remember gasps in the theater when they finally showed the dinosaurs. People went back for multiple viewings. There's a reason it played for as long as it did. With Jurassic World, people couldn't care less. The magic was just gone. It just didn't work.

Thing is, Jurassic Park/Jurassic World are both films that are built like a rollercoaster. Without those thrills, they just don't work.

Jurassic World is a fine film on its own, but when you compare it to Jurassic Park and the experience of watching it back in 1993, it just doesn't compare. What did compare to that 1993 Jurassic Park experience was Avatar in 3D in 2009.
>>
>>64232128
bullshit, they copied everything they could get away with from OT
>>
>>64233097
>I'm just going to ignore the main thrust of your argument
Which is what?
>I'm even going to pretend you are comparing TFA to the whole trilogy when you actually addressed that directly
But you're arguing with things that only pay off in later movies. Are you claiming that there's nothing in TFA will pay off later? If so, can I borrow your crystal ball?

>youtube
That's not the scene with Leia.
>>
>>64233069
The entire scene was out of character for Han. It's something Luke would have tried, not Han.

Han would have come up with some plan to knock his son out and take him back alive so they could deprogram him or something. Maybe even froze him in some of that carbonite for the poetry.
>>
>>64233343
So Han dropping his guard around Lando enough to get captured was also out of character?
>>
>>64230437
>/tv/ went from mostly enjoying TFA to being at war with it

Do you actually believe what you're saying? /tv/'s reaction since release has always been negative.
>>
>>64233343
Jesus, that is a horrible idea. You're a fucking idiot.
>>
>>64233466
>since release
way before release actually
>>
>>64233167
the history of the TFA's development utterly refutes this idea. the story went through a range of totally different macguffins and the characters were all repeatedly reworked.

It's just LOST all over again. the EU novels may fill in blanks that TFA didn't address, but it won't be meaningful because if a future movie contradicts the novels it won't even be acknowledged. just keep paying for Star Wars product and writing fanfiction in your head to justify why it's all garbage.
>>
File: safasdgx.png (829 KB, 768x510) Image search: [Google]
safasdgx.png
829 KB, 768x510
>>64229870
>they are bought by the major companies.
I wonder Which ones?
>>
did reddit letter media become a subsidiary of the walt disney company only when the marketing began for this movie? or was it the case all along?
>>
>>64233418
He was desperate. Even then, he tells Chewbacca to keep his eyes open when they land. Remember that?

And then Lando acts all pissed when they first meet, and Han thinks he's really going to get hit and reacts accordingly, and is shocked when he isn't.

It's clear Han doesn't really trust Lando.
>>
>>64233535
sad truth
>>
>>64233291
>Which is what?
scenes in ANH worked better because they all added together. TFA doesn't pull that off because it's just a bunch of Star Wars scenes shoved into a movie.

>Are you claiming that there's nothing in TFA will pay off later?

ANH wasn't reliant on paying things off later. it was a complete experience.

for what it's worth, yeah, I am saying that subsequent installments won't pay off. they are built on nothing but rehashed ideas. Star Wars is dead and you are paying to suck its cold and flaccid dick.
>>
When will all colo clautists be banned from /tv/?
>>
>>64232128
The main character is living a humble life on a sand planet. They come a across a droid that contains vital information both the good side and bad side seek. They protect the droid and take it to the good side and then they destroy a huge space station the bad side hopes to use to further its power.

I could have been describing either movie. The main thread of the plot is lifted from ANH, except in TFA it is far more vague and meandering, the characters less defined (with Rey basically handling all the shit on her own), and the excitement and tension is absent, thanks in part to the fact that the Empire (now the First Order) are a mere shadow of their former glory, and are trying to use a plan and a device that we've already seen fail twice.
>>
>>64233626
Yet he still falls into his trap just because it's an old pal. While everyone else was much more suspicious about him.
>>
>>64233493
It's how Han would have reacted. He's not a dummy, despite how he was written in number seven.

If I were writing it, though, I wouldn't have put him in a situation where he needed to bring his evil son home.
>>
>>64229828
they keep doing safe reviews, and now I feel like i'm wasting time watching their luke warm safe shit
>>
>>64230395
he was mildy handsome when he was young
>>
>>64233696
>If I were writing it
Thank Christ you didn't write it.
>>
>>64233689
>While everyone else was much more suspicious about him.
Nah, Han was suspicious. He just acts like he's not to calm Leia down. It's pretty obvious he's just acting like he trusts Lando.

>lando asks what's up with broken c3p0
>han plays it off with a lie because he doesn't trust lando

And then when the trap is revealed, Leia is shocked but Han was ready for that shit and starts shooting. Then when that doesn't work, he's like "yeah I knew it."
>>
>>64230722
TFA isn't good because it doesn't tell the story visually, which Star Wars had never previously failed at.

The entire movie is about 'finding Luke', but TFA doesn't establish any of this except through expository dialogue. The only flashback scene was so vague that people thought it was a premonition. 'Only Luke can bring balance to the force', but wasn't the force balanced in ROTJ? Like, we can say that Luke's absence is the cause of the imbalance - but that's because Ren literally stabbed everyone in the back. He did that because his parents divorced or something? Did the New Order arise because Luke left, or did Luke leave because they rose up?

Now we're getting into the question of where a (quasi-)fascist organization even comes from. And that's something TFA doesn't even remotely explain. Fascism doesn't just spontaneously appear; it's always a response to various economic crises, class conflicts, etc. The gang tried to restore the Republic's utopia, but did nothing about capitalism - so of course that contradiction would result in the emergence of Hux the dork.

So, implicitly, the prequels fill in the gap between Eps 6 and 7 and loosely explain how a Republic fell - but we're supposed to ignore them. Everyone is now searching for Luke, and we're expected to care, but Luke was just some guy. Leia is trying to restore monarchy (told, not shown) while Han is trying to sell doomsday-weapon things to King Whocares. Isn't this why Ren rejected his parents? We have the idealism of the Republic with their president-kings, and the obscene underside where Han's gets a bunch of his employees killed (told, not shown)(!) in a get-rich-quick arms deal intended to benefit the same leaders.

It goes on. Exposition tells us Finn was stolen from his family, maybe? Not shown. The republic? Nope. Kylo's identity is presented as a twist - there is no visual indication that Han is his father until the big scene - yet exposition tells us right away. I smell reshoots.
>>
>>64233639
>scenes in ANH worked better because they all added together. TFA doesn't pull that off because it's just a bunch of Star Wars scenes shoved into a movie.
That's a pretty bold statement.
And I don't see what it has to do with how the villains are one-dimensional or not.

>ANH wasn't reliant on paying things off later. it was a complete experience.
I'm not disagreeing there.
But it didn't have that deep complex storytelling, you seem to claim.

>they are built on nothing but rehashed ideas
Just like RotJ?
>>
>>64232979
>wait for the next movie for the answers tee hee

Didn't Jurassic World do that with the bad guy escaping or something? I think they set themselves up for a sequel.
>>
>>64233003
Can you really be this soulless? He was telling his son that he loved him and would forgive in order to motivate him to return to the light. He risked his life in order to display faith and trust, the importance of family to him and his continuing love for his son, and it almost worked. He literally did the same thing Luke did to Vader except Kylo could not accept the truth that Vader did.

Or would you have preferred Han die in a shootout defending people while they get to some stupid escape pod? This scene was original and fresh and did so much with Han's character and Kylo's.
>>
>>64233794
Do you have anything to actually contribute to the conversation? What you're doing is cute, but if you don't want to actually talk about movies, there are other things you can do with your time.
>>
File: images[3].png (5 KB, 215x234) Image search: [Google]
images[3].png
5 KB, 215x234
>>64233794
yeah it would have been awful if someone had needlessly missed an opportunity to make a good Star Wars movie ;^)
>>
Movie would have been good if there was a bad ass sith lord who kicked everyones ass
>>
>>64233845
>This scene was original and fresh
It was original and fresh when it appeared in A New Hope.
>>
File: General-Grievous_c9df9cb5.jpg (124 KB, 768x432) Image search: [Google]
General-Grievous_c9df9cb5.jpg
124 KB, 768x432
>>64233870
go away George
>>
>>64233952
>asses kicked by general grievous: 0
>>
>>64233952
FUCK YOU

it's plain and simple good story telling to have an imposing villain in the first movie of a trilogy, kylo ren was put in there just to make ray look like a badass

I hope in the second movie we get a real sith lord but they could have actually built him up in this movie
>>
>>64233980
Rest in piece GG ;_;

Here's to you kickin Jedi asses in the hereafter
>>
>>64230016
On his Phantom Menace reviews, he states he just wants Star Wars to be Star Wars. He even mentions they should have copied the OT films.
>>
>>64234043
At least he was cool and kicked asses in that Genndy Tartakovsky, the one that isn't canon any more.
>>
>>64233845
>He was telling his son that he loved him and would forgive

unfortunately, Han and Kylo's relationship was never really shown to the audience because Disney couldn't decide which of the three different Star Wars movies they wanted to make (Death Star III and Find Luke being the other two). We got Kylo's backstory almost entirely through dialogue.

>This scene was original and fresh and did so much with Han's character and Kylo's

it made Han a dumbass and Kylo into Elliot Rogers.

it was definitely a character reversal. all that was missing was for Luke to show up and then accidentally cut himself in half with his own lightsaber.
>>
>>64230698

>i cant taste differences
>>
>>64230493
>a person is right
>"hey, he's right"
>same person is later wrong
>"hey, he's wrong"
>[ Scooby Doo theme plays ]
>>
>>64233226
Oh okay
>>
>>64232979
Fucking thank you.
>>
>>64230204
This. It also has superior score (in comparison to TFA)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6sjFJV1NMA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkqZmD1Px5c
>>
>>64233343
>what is a character arc
>>
>>64229870
Jay hates Jurassic World and Rich is ambivalent to TFA
And, I could be completely off on this, but I think they just don't want to come off as impossible to please when it comes to new Star Wars movies because the new one is really popular and it really isn't anywhere nearly as bad as the prequels
>>
>>64234403
Did TFA even have a score? I sure as hell don't remember a single note that was as memorable as any other Star Wars score.
>>
>>64233789
You're kidding right? He was near perfect because he looks normal handsome. He isn't hot, he looks "average". But its not the real average, its much higher. Its what people wish the average was. Its better to be that than super hot
>>
>>64233680
It's a good thing movies aren't only broad stroke summaries then, because every scene was done differently and so many different things occur.
>>
>>64234105
>it was definitely a character reversal. all that was missing was for Luke to show up and then accidentally cut himself in half with his own lightsaber.

They already destroyed Luke by turning him into a little pussy who ran away.
>>
>>64234414
Acting out of character isn't a "character arc."
>>
>>64234674
I can't wait for you to grow up and realize just how bad TFA really is.
>>
>>64234176
No. NO! You HAVE to always agree with an internet personality. You can't be anything except a rabid fanboy. It's not just good advice: it's the law.
>>
>>64230395
qt3.14
>>
>>64230395
It's from an old video called "Talking to People About Star Wars," made in 2002.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPx9OA9sz7A
>>
>>64234520
Well, I really liked Resistance March (theme that playes when X-Wings attacked from the lake). Also kind of enjoyed Rey & Kylo Ren themes, but they were nothing special really.

Other than that - forgettable as fuck.
>>
>>64234674
This movie was a broad stroke summary of A New Hope, though. There was nothing surprising or exciting about it. It feels like at best a 2 hour set up to the proper story to come, and I hope they've got something good to knock us dead because if not this shit could be worse than the prequels.
>>
>>64234727
Han Solo turning from what he was in ANH all the way into a man who learns to forgive his cold-blooded murdering son at the risk of his own life in TFA is a pretty solid lifelong character arc.
>>
>>64234846
Wow.

How can anyone watch this and still have respect for Redlettermedia?
>>
>>64234890
How could a movie with the same runtime as another only be it's summary?
>>
>>64235029
Han: Kylo was my son, but he's gone. The dark side has him now.
Leia: I disagree. Bring him home.
Han: Okay, but I still don't trust him, he's gone.
Han: Now I'm going to trust him for no reason. Hi Ben.
Kylo: Hi dad. Now I'm killing you. Bye dad.
Han: Bye son.

Wow, what an arc.
>>
>>64230437
Yes, haven't you heard? "We" like the prequels now. If we don't, we're supposed to go "back" to reddit, according to toddlers that probably used to frequent there before they found "our" secret clubhouse.
>>
>>64235060
Because it used the loose thread of the original and made a few piecemeal changes to introduce us to the new characters.
>>
>>64234890
It is, and yet, unlike A New Hope, you can't pick up The Force Awakens and enjoy it. You have to watch at least three films to understand who those old assholes are and why you'd care, and even then, the nostalgia is lost on you because you didn't grow up on Star Wars.

Lucas was a genius with A New Hope. JJ just kind of tried to copy that magic without really understanding it.
>>
>>64235120
>for no reason
He's his dad and he doesn't want to forsake his son because he remembers the son he loves. kylo sees this and it affects him. That's the part you're ignoring on purpose, but I guess you'll say you need that said out loud, while also complaining the movie lacks subtlety and explains everything out loud.
>>
>>64235215
Han forsook his son for years.

Then he sees him dressed up like Darth Vader and suddenly gets the feels for him? I don't buy it.

I could buy it if there was a character arc, but it just wasn't there. They just kind of rush through everything in that movie.
>>
>>64235176

Episode V-VII all required seeing the previous films. They are all a series of sequels
>>
>>64235351

He rethought his distance from his son when Leia who he loves told him that she would never forget their son, and that she knows she lost him and Han when they seperated and sent Ben to Luke. Han and Leia both implicitly admit here they all should have stayed together as a family, and Han rethinks his role as a father as someone to be there for his family.
>>
>>64235373
Which isn't how it should be.

The prequels, for all their faults, were a self-contained trilogy. Hell, even Crystal Skull could be picked up and watched without seeing the rest of the films.

This new trilogy shouldn't require you to watch 376 minutes of film to enjoy another film. It should stand on its own, and it doesn't, because it uses the nostalgia like a crutch.
>>
>>64235502
Do you though?

I think having Luke as this legend without actually knowing him might even make it more effective.
You also didn't have to see the original movies to see that Han and Leia used to be lovers and to get Han's character.
>>
>>64235465
Watch it again. Han regrets what happened, but doesn't think Ben can be saved. When Leia says "bring him home," it goes to Han's face, and he gives a look like "there's no way I can do that." The film lingers on that face.
>>
>>64235601
Fuck you, you wouldn't know anything about Han without having seen the other movies first. It coasts on the OT's coattails entirly.
>>
>>64233845
I'm with this anon. Everyone arguing that Han wouldn't do this or that is basing that off of Han from like forty years ago. He's obviously gone through some shit. Yeah, he's still trying to wheel and deal, but even that's catching up to him finally (them saying there isn't anyone left in the galaxy he can steal from). His character is old and full of regret over the loss of his son.

It's not like his death was a surprise. It was emotional because it was the last action an old man thought he could do to save his kid that he just wants the best for. He'd readily risk and give his own life for that.

The acting in the scene was well done--Kylo was torn on the decision and Han's emotions seemed genuine.
>>
>>64234846
based Gilchrist
>>
>>64230722
Like 90% of this shit is in the movie
>>
>>64235661
What?
The movie clearly shows him as this rogue who's deep down a good guy who worked with the Resistance before. That's really all you need to know.
>>
>>64234011
what is this from?
>>
>>64235601
As a person who went and saw it with people who have never seen the movie (I live in a country where it isn't popular), yes. Yes, you do have to watch the original trilogy. Not only that, but you have to have watched it as a kid and be very familiar with it.

The audience had zero reaction to any of the reveals. Nobody cared when the Millennium Falcon was first shown, or when Han Solo first showed up, or anything like that. Someone did ask "why is she so ugly" when Leia showed up, but really, it just doesn't work for any audience other than one raised on Star Wars, and that's shit. That's absolute shit.

My friends also kept asking questions during the thing and the questions didn't end when the film did. All of them said the movie made them feel alienated, and they didn't really like it.
>>
>>64234011
what the fuck? source? with sound?
>>
>>64235716
"Who was that old guy supposed to be?" was one of the questions my friends asked so no, the movie doesn't tell you enough about Han Solo.
>>
>>64229870
JJ here, I gave RLM a nice big check ;)
>>
>>64235760
>Nobody cared when the Millennium Falcon was first shown,
Which is better than my reaction, which was why the fuck would the Millennium Falcon just happen to be there.
>>
>>64235760
Lmao you want people to be gasping and hollering?
>>
Why would anyone choose to see episode 7 when they haven't seen any other star wars?
>>
>>64235620

Because Han was troubled by his choice. The shot wasn't to show you how serious an committed and never changing Han is, he wasn't strong arming Leia there, it was to indicate that this was something he had to do thinking about. It's an internal struggle he experiences, not a cold 'proving Han's forever callous' moment. Han has to become strong enough to give his son another chance, which he does but Kylo doesn't take it

How hard are you going to insist that hat happened in the movie could not have possibly been?
>>
>>64235795
My friends also often ask dumb questions about movies.

The movie tells you he is a legend in the Resistance, it's all you need to know.
>>
>>64235818
>which was why the fuck would the Millennium Falcon just happen to be there.
You're supposed to think that, what else would you think? You find out later that it's there because it got stolen several times.
>>
>>64234011
>>64235750
>>64235775

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A45FQvlfU6Q
>>
>>64235795
Then your friends are idiots. Like you. By the way, great argument.

He's shown as a rogue and swindler. He owns the millennium falcon and is explicitly stated to be a renowned pilot. He used to be in the resistance but quit. He was friends with the mystical Luke Skywalker and played a large role in the war. He fathered Kylo Ren with Leia. He died trying to get his son back.

This is all in the movie. Maybe if your friends would stop blowing each other in the theater they could've looked up at the screen and caught any of this.
>>
TFA is a mediocre film, but even with all it's flaws is better than all the prequels combined. The prequels suck reddit, accept it, stop being autistic about the canon, that doesn't determine if a movie is good or not.
>>
>>64229870
>That and their Jurassic World appreciation really showed how they are bought by the major companies.

A wild theory here, but maybe they liked Jurassic World because it was actually good.
A film isn't automatically shit just because it has a huge budget and is made by a big studio.
>>
>>64235962
But according to /tv/ every big action blockbuster is bad if it isn't directed by Cameron
>>
>>64235889
Except the movie makes a big deal about him, and that doesn't work when the audience doesn't give a shit because they don't know him.

It's like if they suddenly introduced this guy called Ponzo, and all these characters you've just met are like "whoa it's Ponzo that guy is awesome oh my god." You get the information that Ponzo is supposed to be a big deal within the setting, sure, but he's not a big deal to you (in fact, your reaction might be "he doesn't look like a big deal to me, he's just some old dude who fumbles around a lot, who gives a fuck") so the effect the movie is going for is lost on you because you don't know Ponzo.
>>
>>64235949
TFA apologists sure get uppity about their precious JJ turd
>>
>>64236032
Except he's being awesome all the time in the movie.
>>
>>64235962
Mike liked it, Jay didn't. Yeah studios love to write checks to moderately well known Internet critics in return for mixed to mediocre reviews.
>>
File: 1390913694.jpg (51 KB, 315x335) Image search: [Google]
1390913694.jpg
51 KB, 315x335
>rey in the holding cell
>doing jedi mind trick on the storm trooper
>mfw the trooper was actually daniel craig
Just watched the movie today, was absolutely based. Mike has grown to be an old happy man.
>>
>>64236079
Another winning argument and a solid rebuttal. Happy 14th birthday~
>>
>>64235502
> which isn't how it should be

Why not. This movie was for people who loved the OT after all
>>
>>64236080
>being awesome
How? What awesome things does he do?

The movie sucks his dick, but all he does is get caught by gangsters and almost killed by them (only to be saved by Rey and Finn), then he goes to a bar where he knows a minion. Then he shoots a crossbow laser gun and acts like a child about how cool it is. Then he dies.

What an awesome dude. Whoa.

In reality, he comes off as some old turd who maybe used to be cool decades ago and is still desperately clinging onto the past.
>>
>>64236207
Why argue with someone who can't do so without crying like a leaking cunt because people are able to pick apart their shitty movie? TFA has enormous problems. You can like it, but you can't pretend it's shit doesn't stink.
>>
>>64229828
I never enjoyed RLM, except their sw prequel review, which i found funny. But now, they're just reddit letter media to me.
>>
>>64236090
Yeah, they can either receive checks from movie companies to like the movie or receive valuable hits from you to hate it
>>
>>64236299
Why argue with people who are the same about knowing people like it?
>>
>>64234846
Jay unjusted
>>
>>64236429
Because you're a pouting child and really should get off 4chan, give yourself time to grow up.
>>
I think he'll think less of it as it sinks in. He was just in that after-movie high of "wow, it's not shit like the prequels"
>>
>>64235949
>great argument
Oh, sorry. I forgot to add stupid insults like you did. Here, let me give it another go:

If you weren't so busy performing fellatio on your fellow male companions, you'd realize an audience that doesn't know about what's going on also isn't going to care enough to pay attention about the explanations that come later. They'll either be too busy wondering what's going on and miss out on explanations, you dingbat, or they'll just not care and stop paying attention, you slime.

Did I argue correctly, you bad person?
>>
>>64235839
because is hype and everyone else is talking about it and they want to fit in.
Simple human behavioral patterns.
>>
>>64236469
I think they simply don't care that much.

TFA is neither garbage nor a masterpiece, there's not that much to talk about.
>>
>>64236229
Which is a flaw of the film.

A New Hope was for everyone. You didn't need to see anything to get it.

The Phantom Menace was for everyone. You didn't need to see anything to get it.

The Force Awakens has required viewing. This is why is fails outside of America.
>>
>>64236589
>The Phantom Menace was for everyone. You didn't need to see anything to get it.
That's the worst example you could have come up with. Nostalgia, fueled by all the pottery, is the only thing it has going for it.
>>
>>64236676
Not really, it's an engaging movie in its own way. I still love the podracing scene myself.
>>
>>64236676
You can watch The Phantom Menace without having never seen any of the other films and completely understand what's going on and enjoy it. Sure, there's nostalgia there, but it's pretty minor.

You can't get the same enjoyment from The Force Awakens if you haven't seen the other films or grown up in America where Star Wars is such a part of your culture.
>>
>>64236795
Were you 5 when you watched it?
>>
>>64236676
Absolutely not. The Phantom Menace is so easily accessible to a new audience. The Force Awakens is not.
>>
>>64236805
I watched the other films and didn't understood what was going on.
There was also very little enjoy, except very shallow action.
>>
>>64236851
It completely fails as a movie.
Everyone would forget Phantom Menace after a week if it didn't have the Star Wars label.
>>
>>64236870
>hating the phantom menace yet liking the force awakens
Okay there, rlm. Why don't you go back to your murdering prostitute "jokes?"
>>
>>64236915
You can easily say the same of the Force Awakens is the thing: if it weren't a Star Wars, nobody would give a fuck.
>>
>>64236821
19, but you're telegraphing your asshattery too soon. You have to hold some back or you just look stupid.
>>
>>64236920
>rlm
Show me a professional critic who wouldn't put TFA over TPM
>>
>>64236957
If it weren't a Star Wars, but had the same plot going with like Starkiller Base and what not, people would hate the movie for ripping off A New Hope.

But if it's a Star Wars movie, it's okay that it completely rips off A New Hope and delivers nothing new.
>>
>>64236957

This. There's nothing in Force Awakens you'd remember that wasn't in. A New Hope already

Other than the retarded ass meme trooper.
>>
>>64236972
>rlm
>professional critic
Hahahahahahaha oh lord. Why would you do that, Anon?
>>
>>64236957
It was a fun blockbuster.
That's more than you can say about Phantom Menace
>>
I really enjoyed TFA, but I could talk hours about its issues

All the practical sets, effects and "real" aliens made it for me

The fact that /tv/ barely mentions those just proves most of the board's criticism ends at Douge tier 'plot hole' arguments
>>
>>64237024
They get paid to critic movies.
They fit the definition perfectly.
>>
>>64237024
RLM reviews movies for a living. What else would you call that?
>>
>>64237026
"A fun blockbuster" is a good description of Phantom Menace, actually.

Only people who didn't have fun with it were Star Wars nerds who care about the "lore" and read the books and shit.
>>
>>64235941
The entire movie is built upon conveniences

I lost count of how many times I mouthed "how convienient" during the movie
>>
>>64237073
amateurs with benefits
>>
>>64233830
>TFA isn't good because it doesn't tell the story visually
That's literally the one thing TFA excels at. The scene on Jakku where Rey stares at the old women doing the same thing she's doing aticulates everything you need to know about Rey's situation visually

Also
>muh lack of exposition
Blame that on Kasdan.
>>
>>64237037

You want to argue about the practical effects? I can do that. Why were they so shit? Stiff puppetry, really bad props, that thing you posted, Jesus, the walking was the most stilted, horrible attempt ever. We've come a long way, there's no reason for them to look SO bad. They weren't even that bad 30 years back.
>>
>>64237037
/tv/ is just bored.
They can't hold it up as the best movie ever, because it isn't that good and it's harder to talk about things done well than pointing out flaws.
So they just try to claim it's the worst movie ever, so they have something to talk about.
>>
>>64237059
They get paid to make videos on youtube, not to "critic" movies or anything.

Same with people like AVGN and Nostalgia Critic.
>>
just unsubscribe to RLM. you will be doing humanity a service.
>>
>>64237096
>I've never seen a movie before

All movies revolve around conveniences
>>
>>64237077
But it wasn't fun.
It was boring as hell, with zero likable characters and a confusing story that goes nowhere.
>>
>>64233980
He kicked ass in the Genndy Tartakovsky cartoon
>>
>>64237121
I'm not claiming it's "the worst movie ever."

I'm just pointing out flaws in the film because the film has flaws. In other threads, I point out things that the film gets right because it does get things right as well.

If people could accept that the film has flaws and gets things right, there'd be no argument. Instead, you have people who hold it up as "the best thing ever" and "the worst thing ever" because they can't feel things except in ridiculous, hyperbolic extremes.
>>
>>64237116
They were intentionally old school. It's an 80s throwback film in many ways, from the set design to the editing, to the lack of expository dialogue. If you don't like that, fine, but that particular shot isn't bad puppetry.
>>
>>64235961
>make the same plot as episode 4
>it's not great
>AND it's a copy
The prequels are better on OC alone

The only reason 7 is better is if you look at it absent 4. If you take everything that isn't new out of 7 you get 20 minutes of nostalgia hints and 20 minutes of setting up for the next movies.

Like if the next movie was a slightly worse version of episode 5. You fucking niggers would rate it above the prequels. The core meaning is that you are fine with the same exact thing being shown to you again.
>>
>>64236676

The Phantom Menace has a coherent story with a threatening antagonist, which is more than I can say for TFA.
>>
>>64237213
The characters are the most interesting they've been in the series up to this point, particularly Kylo Ren.
>>
>>64237235
No, it wasn't a throwback, it was bad effects.
>>
>>64237229
>If people could accept that the film has flaws and gets things right,
Which is what everyone's doing who's not going all worst Star Wars movie ever

No one here or RLM, to get back to the OP, called it perfect.
>>
>>64235961
>The prequels suck reddit
Reddit actually hates the prequels and loves the Force Awakens. If you want to test that, go there and post something good about the prequels and bad about TFA. See how you get voted.
>>
>>64230303
>shitting on Crystal Skull because George Lucas
If you actually bothered to watch the review they tell in the first five minutes that this movie sucking didn't really have that much to do with George Lucas. Nice try though, you could get a job as Putin's troll shilling the internet with Russian propaganda and "where is the evidence?" shit. You have a real knack for disinformation senpai.
>>
>>64237256
>The prequels are better on OC alone
No there weren't. Not only was TPM a remake of ANH, it didn't even feature a ton of original characters like TFA. It's far less original in many respects.
>>
>>64237307
>No one here or RLM, to get back to the OP, called it perfect.
No one here called it the worst movie.

What's your point, Anon?
>>
>>64237271
TPM doesn't even have an antagonist.
Just some scary looking guy coming out of nowhere fucking shit up and then vanishing.
>>
>>64237302
>it wasn't a throwback
Of course it was. The practical effects have been marketed that way since 2013, with JJ talking about loving some of the more janky effects and costumes.
>>
>>64237204
>revolve
No, they don't

they have some to make the plot larger than life, but the movie is built on like 20 of them that all make no sense in a vacuum

>Hurr I'll walk into plot forest for no reason because angst
>a planet I've never been on, I've never seen fucking trees before, and the only way off I know of is back at the bar
>but I need to be alone so I can get captured
Good movies aren't full of bullshit like this unless they're self aware
>>
>>64237271
>threatening antagonist
>gets cut in half and disposed of after the most sterile, boring fight scene in cinematic history
>>
>>64237359
People here did call it worse than the prequels.

Which pretty much means worst movie (ignoring The Room-tier stuff)
>>
>>64237316
The RLM review? No, they definitely blame George Lucas to some degree in that review.

I wouldn't say they hated Crystal Skull solely because Lucas, but saying they don't blame Lucas at all is wrong.
>>
>>64237271
>threatening antagonist
>a demon who has like two lines in the entire movie and has no bearing on the plot
>>
>>64237383
The problem is they were never that badly done. They don't capture the respect and magic that Jim Henson's work has done forever now. It's a weak mockery, and it looks that way right off the bat.
>>
>>64237471
It looked great. You're finding pockets of the film to hyperbolically criticize in order to fuel your edgy contrarianism.
>>
>>64237373
>an·tag·o·nist
>anˈtaɡənəst/
>noun
>a person who actively opposes or is hostile to someone or something; an adversary.

Darth Maul was an antagonist. He wasn't nuanced, but Star Wars isn't known for nuanced antagonists, just threatening antagonists. You have a villain who can easily fight against a Jedi Master and his apprentice, who chases them throughout the movie. It's good stuff, even if it isn't complicated.

Kylo Ren was a fucking joke from start to finish, and the movie seemed to agree with me, since it kep poking fun at him until even his Big Bad Evil Guy Moment landed flat on its face because of how pathetic they’d showed him to be. (which was totally the point, but my point here is that it hurt the movie in the long run) Phasma didn’t get to fire a single shot, but at least they treated her with enough dignity to avoid, say, a quick cut to her in the trash compactor, which means she got more respect from the movie than Kylo. Hux was a non-entity who seemed to have walked right out of a bad WWII movie, a really bad one, and not even a fun bad. The Starkiller base was the worst kind of “It’s the same… BUT BIGGER!” shit I’ve seen outside of comic books and what precious little effect it may have had dissipated into nothing. And the day I feel a tangible sense of threat or menace from a guy called Supreme Leader Snoke (who by the way looks like a painfully generic alien baddie in a cheap Mass Effect clone) is the day I become more powerful than you could possibly imagine.
>>
He already lost his edge by the time the Star Trek reboot was out.
>>
>>64237422
Only if you believe the prequels were "the worstest movies ever." Some people actually like the prequels.

I'm also not really seeing any Anons in this thread saying it was worse than the prequels. They are comparing aspects where the prequels did things better (were more inviting to new audiences, were more original) but not really what you're saying. I dunno though, maybe an anon did, but it seems like you're confusing "the prequels did this better" with "the prequels are better and they were total shit so this is the worstest movie ever."
>>
File: 1300055783012.jpg (41 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
1300055783012.jpg
41 KB, 256x256
>>64237427
Who said they didn't blame Lucas at all? Read my post again senpai. They come to the conclusion that the movie was shit because Spielberg and Lucas are old men now, Ford too, and they probably just wanted to make a movie for themselves for the last time. A big problem is that Indy isn't a convincing adventure hero anymore as he is around 70 years old. They shouldn't have made TCS in the first place, or they should have had a new main protagonist who wasn't Indy. A bit like TFA did, just kill Harrison Ford off and we are all happy.

But the movie sucked for a million other reasons too.
>>
>>64237558
>movie is named phantom menace
>the antagonist is a phantom menace
Mission accomplished.
>>
>>64237317
>tpm a remake of anh
It is not. The only striking similarities are kid rescued from the desert and the big thing gets blown up.

In actuality, the first is intermixed with two large subplots, slavery elements, the dynamic with the mother, the prophecy shit, the characters are radically different from Obiwan, and the elements around arrival and escape are different.

This is all unlike TFA which deviates very little and superficially from ANH.

>it didn't feature a ton of original characters
Full retard

>it's less original
It's not, you're just stupid. The movies are bad but the points you and others bring up aren't why it's bad
>>
>>64237037
Imagine how great the film would have been if he whacked her over the head, knocked her out and just started FUCKING railing her in the ass. Then he got his mount involved.
>>
>>64237613
Ah, okay. Misread what you said there.
>>
>>64237532
And you're purposely closing your eyes because you can't stand that this film really isn't a masterpiece, that the practical effects were just as half assed as the God-Awful CGI.
>>
>>64229942
can somebody explain to a newfag why mike is called racist all the time? I've only seen him joking about it and stuff
>>
>>64237373
>then vanishing
The Phantom menace

The bad guy in the movie is an indication there are sith coming back. You don't need a supreme villain to save the day from

You people act like the movie not being a cookie cutter action adventure means it's bad. Fucking retards
>>
>>64230016
>selling out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BDyFuDxA-I
>>
>>64237558
Kylo Ren was genuinely threatening throughout, particularly in the forest near Maz's palace. The joke in those tantrum scenes wasn't that Ren isn't dangerous, it's just pointing out the absurdity of the situation, which is what made A New Hope so refreshing back in 1977: it's a fantasy movie that understands how cheesy it is.
>>
>>64237714
It's all good man, I could have been more respectable too. Happy trails senpai.
>>
>>64237589
No, people flat out called it worse.

And I can only interpret this is an effort to have something new to hate.
>>
>>64237408
>sterile and boring
>everyone that hasn't master bated to the plink etc reviews loves it
>favorite among kids
>>
>>64237317
>TPM is a remake of ANH
Not at all.

In fact, if it's a remake of any of them, it's a remake of Jedi. Even then, they're just really similar, unlike TFA, which is just a copypasta ANH.
>>
>>64237717
His grandfather was a ranking officer in the SS and Mike is implicated (though there is no concrete evidence yet) in over 13 unsolved murders of Jewish men and women
>>
>>64229828

>3rd Death Star

Oh wow, such brilliant writing. Worthy of several billion shekels, even.
>>
>>64237768
You can only interpret it that way because you hate the prequels. Not everyone does.

People can like different things, Anon. If some anons like the prequels more than the Force Awakens, good for them.
>>
>>64237736
>You people act like the movie not being a cookie cutter action adventure means it's bad.
The question is what was it instead?
As what kind of movie does it actually succeed?

A CGI demo?
>>
>>64237768
No the problem is that it is better than the prequels, but only because episode 4 was better than the prequels. Because it is a copy of 4, i place it below the prequels.

TFA standing alone is better than them, but it doesn't stand alone
>>
>>64237715
I never claimed that it's a masterpiece, I was just charmed by the practical effects. That alien head coming out of the crater on Jakku looked very fake, but it still ended up being my favorite effect of the film

>were just as half assed as the God-Awful CGI.
You didn't notice most of the CGI. ILM is fucking world class.
>>
>>64237856
An action adventure

Or did you not understand what I meant by cookie cutter? Or did you not read and comprehend? I went an extra step to clarify and you still didn't get it.
>>
>>64229870
This
People thinking 3 guys can live with the money made from a mediocre youtube channel are delusional children
>>
>>64237864
>Because it is a copy of 4, i place it below the prequels.
The Phantom Menace is a copy of episode 4, you fucking idiot. Also, recycled plot with new characters isn't less original than recycled characters with a new plot.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.