[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Martian
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4
File: The_Martian_film_poster.jpg (50 KB, 258x382) Image search: [Google]
The_Martian_film_poster.jpg
50 KB, 258x382
I fucking hated this shit. Zero emotion, the entire plot is LITERALLY filler. It was garbage.

In order to accentuate my point, imagine if Jurassic Park was filmed like The Martian was.
>instead of the characters reacting to being trapped with rampaging dinosaurs, they merely make small quirky jokes about it, not all too worried about it
>during the scene with the electric fence, the audience sees that if the boy doesn't get off the fence, he'll be electrocuted. However, the fence gets turned on while he's still on it, but nothing happens. This is not acknowledged for the rest of the film and is brushed off
>after surviving the literal nightmare that they all went through, they all just look back at it as a joke, with no emotional/moral/ideological changes occurring in any of them
>the whole movie, instead of acknowledging the intensely terrifying aspect of being trapped and killed by dinosaurs, they merely talked about how SCIENTIFIC ALL OF IT IS
>>
>>64221168
You know it was based on a true story, right?
>>
Why don't you take your reddit tier opinion back to reddit?
>>
>3 martian threads pop up within 10 minutes

is this a coordinated reddit raid?
>>
>>64221168
So, if I'm understanding your post correctly, you're mad because Mars didn't eat anyone?
>>
Great movie. I have the Blu-Ray on pre-order.
>>
It did kind of bug me that he never really loses it from being alone but the fact that he can still email everyone and shit probably helped. I still liked the movie, wish I saw it in 3D.
>>
>>64221168
So, you're saying *this* is more your speed?
>>
>>64221196

literally laughed out loud
>>
Imagine if Castaway were like this movie

>T.Hanks gets stranded on an island
>opens his journal
>"So I'm stuck on this island and I need to leave, good thing I'm a BOAT BUILDER"
>T.Hanks smugly leaves the island
>>
I think it was a cool movie but it did miss out in a few key areas. Emotionally the film is lacking entirely, the thought of having to survive on another planet by yourself in a shelter that's only rated for 30 days sounds terrifying, but you never really get that from Damon's perfomance. I think the film was overall too optimistic. I'm not saying he should have died or anything but like OP stated he really comes out of it almost unscathed aside from a few physical injuries and being a bit malnourished. I think it would have been neat if NASA got the world all riled up for the return of this great astronaut only to see him come back broken and damaged and being unable to do anything but parade him around because the whole world was on the edge of their seat waiting for his return. It was enjoyable just not the type of film I expected.
>>
>>64222039
This is pretty fair I guess. I mean, with what it WAS doing, it did pretty well. It just could have done so, so much more that it's honestly just a shame.

Except for the emotional aspect. That should have been in it no matter what.
>>
>>64222039
>>64222167
They really did miss out on a golden opportunity to explore what it'd be like to be THAT alone. Even heaven and hell have company, outer space is just like limbo.
>>
Watneys psych evaluation proved he would be perfect for the mission because he delt with high stress and anxiety with humor. The funnier he is the more desperate he was. The book covered this.
>>
>We're going to science the SHIT outta this
This was the moment where I knew I would regret my decision.

What other shows/films have this?
>>
>>64222518
They never explain this in the film and I don't think I'm alone in not being able to relate to this.
>>
>airtight living enclosure
>it has no floor
Was I the only one triggered by this
>>
>>64222816
Oh, you're absolutely not alone! /tv/ is autism central after all :)
>>
>>64221196
kek'd
>>
Why did you make a thread about a movie you hate?
Go outside.
>>
>>64222989
I have a sense of humor and humor does relieve stress but if I was all by myself I don't think it would help much.
>>
How about you people just turn your brain off? Ugh, I may have come here just recently but at least I'm able to have fun.
>>
>>64223187
Post your top 5 films

/tv/ is a place for appreciating art, although true art is rare and takes time to find so in the meantime we banepost
If you are not here to do either of those things I suggest you find someone else to discuss films with, perhaps you'd find a pet rock more suitable. Their brains are off all the time for fun.
>>
>>64222977
The floor was covered in martian soil he ffertilized.
>>
>>64222518
It would have been nice for them to bring this up in the movie, it would explain an important part and wouldn't have taken up too much time to do.
>>
>>64223565
>The Social Network
>Interstellar
>Jaws
>Shawshank Redemption
>Saving Private Ryan
>>
>>64223858
What are you a 14 year old with AMC as your only tv channel
>>
>VROOOOM SCREEECH

What did the goofy autistic fictional NASA coon mean by this?
>>
>>64221168
I kind of liked it but I know EXACTLY why it gets labeled as a Reddit movie.

The cast, the performances, the dialogues, it was so obvious that the movie was supposed to appeal to Big Bang Theory fans.
>>
>>64223876
Nope, im not even this guy >>64223187, i just wanted to post some fav films of mine for analysis from /tv/ autists
>>
>>64223914
This
>the way they pseudo explain shit like a top rated reddit post
Everything he says is the top post in a TIL thread about some gay science shit
>>
>>64223914
Le geek army
>>
>>64221168
and the movie was better than the book
>>
>>64223565
It's the best thing I could do. Reddit is way more advanced, sophisticated and intelligent to deeply discuss movies than this bitter chan.
>>
Who the fuck wrote that screenplay? They are outright lying and failed to mention that it was actually stolen german rocketry scientists after WW2 that single-handedly put humanity into space.
>>
>>64224126
Didn't you see the credits?

>Special Thanks to
>Josef Mengele and the 3rd SS Panzer Division
>>
File: actual scientists.jpg (363 KB, 1104x768) Image search: [Google]
actual scientists.jpg
363 KB, 1104x768
>>64224263
>>64224263
Haha very funny reddit have an upvote and merry shabbat to you
>>
>>64224344
oh you meant those guys
they also forgot to mention that chinese people invented rockets
>>
>>64224378
>>64224378
No, it was germans who did. Without Wernher von Braun the moon landing would have never happened, reddit.
>>
>>64224424
dude come on I'm not even trying... I won't bait you anymore so you don't sperg out and upset your mom
>>
Was really excited about this and thought that the "reddit" stuff was just regular shitposting, but no. It literally is two hours of "LE SCIENCE XDDD"

Imagine Interstellar with MMC just cracking jokes and referencing pop culture. "So we're probably all gonna die but...good thing I'm an astrophysicist xDDD, SCIENCE RULES xDD" *listens to David Bowie*

oh and he'd by stylish and black
>>
>>64222039
He's a NASA astronaut. They're not going to launch you into outer space unless you can handle fucked up shit.

Like .0000001% of the human population can be astronauts. He was not a normal person and i never felt like this was a problem desu senpai.

I also didn't really feel like they should've had to talk about that, people already claim the movie describes shit out loud for retards too much, I figured everyone already knew that astronauts are the absolute best of what humanity has to offer.
>>
>>64224582
The reason why this is a problem is because I paid to see a movie where a man is stuck on mars by himself without food and what I got was a guy remaining 100% calm and leaving unscathed for the whole fucking thing
>>
>>64224676
He was dying of starvation, had been exploded, pierced by space debris, suffered from radiation burns, and nearly died several times.

He didn't remain calm the whole time either, he flips out at least twice from what i can recall.

He was just a weird guy with an admittedly cringeworthy sense of humor. I'm not saying the movie was perfect but It was pretty good desu senpai.
>>
They could have made so many fedoras buttmad if Watney prayed to god and saw a sign at some point in the movie
>>
>>64221168
I don't think you watched the movie very well.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.