[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>$546m domestic, $549m overseas as of the end of Sunday >literally
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 6
File: J U S T.png (306 KB, 1117x690) Image search: [Google]
J U S T.png
306 KB, 1117x690
>$546m domestic, $549m overseas as of the end of Sunday
>literally a 50/50 domestic/overseas ratio, in fucking 2015
>TFA struggling at this point to even keep its domestic ratio below 50%

Remind me why people thought this movie ever had a chance of beating Avatar again.
>>
I think it's a good thing that this movies domestic:world ratio is so high. Why should an American made movie appeal to a foreign audience? The only reason I can think of is that the studio is intentionally bending over for the global faggot audience, therefore a movie not appealing globally shows it was made with integrity
>>
don't forget:

>but but muh china!
China won't save your beloved TFA, shills
>>
>>64194655
It's because it panders to the BLM and SJW audience which exists mostly in murrica
>>
>>64194655
This
>>
Americucks BTFO
>>
>>64194655
>Disney
>Integrity
Pick one.
>>
>>64194473
Studio gets to keep more of domestic BO than Int'l BO. Domestic BO is far more important.
>>
>>64195105
If anything I'd say they hold themselves to a more rigid standard than most studios. They fuck up sometimes(e.g. Tomorrowland), but even when they fuck up they're trying their best, i.e. putting a lot of money and talent, to create quality family entertainment.
>>
>>64196914
shill
>>
>>64194473
It's not released in China yet, you cuck.
>>
>>64194473
this is the most thinly veiled reason to shitpost isn't it?
>>
File: Mn.jpg (289 KB, 1462x1462) Image search: [Google]
Mn.jpg
289 KB, 1462x1462
>couldn't even reach 2 billions
More like The Flop Awakens.
>>
>>64197029
What's China going to push it to, 45/55? kek that's still fucking awful

Avatar at this point was at 32/68, also without China
>>
2009 /tv/
>Abatap is a fucking moron. International box office is fucking pointless. Barely any money gets through the endless chain of middle men in over seas markets. Avatar is going to barely make any money back!

2015 /tv/
>>64194473

Nice to see OP is following the long line of shit analysis.
>>
>>64197488
Do you work for Buena Vista?

Nobody cares about how much profit the movie is going to make (Avatar will make more anyway), this point of this thread is to laugh at people who ACTUALLY thought it could beat Avatar's worldwide gross and become the highest-grossing film of all time
>>
BU BU BU ONLY DOMESTIC MATTERS!!
>>
>>64194473
Americans thought the rest of the world would watch TFA?

Okay, get this: say there's a Chinese movie series, super huge in China, and after a huge break, they're doing number 7. You've heard of this series a bit but you don't know what the fuck it's about, and there's not just 6 movies to watch, but television series and books and comic books and video games and all this shit. But they're bringing back the original cast! And there's all this nostalgia (that isn't nostalgia for you because you never watched these films, and even if you do catch up on them, still won't be nostalgic because you just saw them). Oh, and it's subtitled. And it won't be out until a month or so later, so if you wanted, you could watch bootlegged easily.

Would you really go see this film?
>>
money = money
>>
>>64198510
What are your predictions for its gross in China?
>>
>>64194473
I saw TFA on opening night. When I booked my seats that morning, nobody else had booked seats, so I had my pick of the seats. Went there that evening, place wasn't even a quarter full.

I'd genuinely be shocked if it beat Avatar.
>>
>>64194473

So why is a higher foreign take supposedly better? Because the studio makes less money from it?
>>
>>64198510

So you're saying nobody in China has ever seen Star Wars before now?
>>
>>64198624
To become the "highest-grossing film of all time". Being so domestically-loaded that you're barely staying above 50/50 domestic/overseas, and falling faster overseas than you are domestically, is laughable.
>>
>>64198702

So making more than any other movie ever domestically means it will automatically make less in foreign markets?
>>
>>64198743
No, the fact that it's dropping faster overseas than it is domestically, coupled with the fact that it's 50/50 at the end of the second weekend, guarantees that this movie will end with at best a 50/50 ratio without China. It's impossible to beat avatar with a 50/50 domestic/overseas even if it makes $1.1b domestically.
>>
>>64198835

>Without China

Oh ok, so you just want to exclude the largest foreign market there is because it helps fit your narrative.

I'll see you in a month when your precious Avatar is beat, Cameron.
>>
>>64198612
Less than $40 million. Maybe even $20 million.

Sort of depends when they release it. They might be going for Chinese New Year (February 8th) hoping to cash in on the holiday, but that could backfire on them because 1) that's a lot of time for bootlegs and 2) they won't be the only film going for the Chinese New Year money, so they'll be up against stiff competition.
>>
>>64198879
I'm not excluding China. The two facts above prove that China's gross is completely irrelevant, no matter how much it makes.

$1.1b domestically (which is ridiculous by the way, it won't even make anywhere near this much) with a 50/50 ratio minus China is $2.2b worldwide without China.

To make that up to avatar's $2.788b? A gross of $588m in China - impossible. And that's the BEST case scenario. The less it makes domestically, the higher that China gross needs to be. TFA makes $1b domestically, you need $788m from China, even more impossible.
>>
>>64198993

Why is 1.1b domestically ridiculous? Avatar made 750 million in it's entire lifetime domestically and Star Wars will have passed that by this weekend at this rate.
>>
File: cry more.jpg (12 KB, 275x307) Image search: [Google]
cry more.jpg
12 KB, 275x307

day 10: panic sets in
>>
>>64198665
I'm saying Star Wars is no where near as popular in China as it is in America. The original films didn't even get theatrical releases in China. For your average Chinese citizen, they might know "Luke I am your father" but that's it.

To compare, in Korea, Star Wars 7 got beat out by The Himalayas (a Korean film that honestly isn't that good; a part of the reason is that the company who made the film owns theaters in Korea and gave it more showings, but that's just a part of it). Here's what Koreans had to say about it:

>1. [+918, -44] Star Wars was never popular in Korea... and maybe people just don't like it? Just because the entire world does doesn't mean we have to too.

>2. [+688, -36] There are way too many movies in the series and it just feels like if you haven't watched the previous ones, you won't understand what's going on in the recent one so you just avoid it. And SF genres are usually stereotyped as a minor/mania genre and doesn't seem that fun for the rest of us. I bet people barely only know Yoda out of the series, the rest are foreign to us ã… ã… ã… 

>1. [+1,375, -81] Compared to other countries, Star Wars is definitely not that popular in Korea

http://netizenbuzz.blogspot.kr/2015/12/hollywood-lackluster-numbers-for-star.html

Keep in mind: South Korea is a country where Star Wars was originally released, and they show it on television quite often (in fact, they were showing it all day for Christmas this year).
>>
>>64199112
The holidays have provided it with signifcant extra momentum, which is the reason it's making money so fast in comparison to say, JW in the US. After the holidays are over it will crash hard with huge weekly drops, making it pretty much impossible to make anywhere near $1.1b.
>>
>>64199186
>After the holidays are over it will crash hard with huge weekly drops, making it pretty much impossible to make anywhere near $1.1b.

So you're just guessing and making shit up then. They still have every IMAX screen in the country booked through the end of January. It'll slow but not crash.
>>
>>64199218
Let me guess, you have no idea how the box office works, have never made predictions before, and are only interested in TFA.

You don't know shit.
>>
>>64199294

Let me guess, your Dad works for Hollywood and told you all about how bad TFA is going to do.
>>
America doesnt even like Avatar
>>
WTF how did jurassic world do so well? That movie wasn't on my radar at all, I thought it would be a flop, if anything.
>>
>>64199218
>They still have every IMAX screen in the country booked through the end of January.
I went to see the Phantom Menace a second time weeks after it was released, and the entire theater was empty. Booked screens doesn't mean people will go to watch the movies.
>>
>>64199317
Even if we accept the ridiculous premise that it's going to make $1.1b domestically, it's still impossible to come anywhere near Avatar worldwide, so what are you arguing this for?
>>
>>64199375
>"How could Nixon have won? Nobody I know voted for him."
>>
>>64199474
wtf I didn't say anything about nixon you retard.
>>
>>64194473
> beating Avatar
> beating

Like these movies are actually competing for something... fucking seriously? Avatar made its money. TFA is making its money. Its not like one "loses" and gives the money to other one. I never understood this "movie vs movie" mentality.

OP, you are a fucking idiot.
>>
>>64194473
He could do the next Star Wars movie.
>>
>>64194473
2B is the best case scenario for it. Won't even beat Titanic
>>
>>64199375
that chart isnt listing how well the movies did moron. its saying what percentage of viewers were from outside of the us. it says nothing about the actual number of viewers.
>>
>>64199523

Disney dont like movies taking 10 years to make
>>
>>64199489

this reply pretty much says everything about this guy
>>
>>64199511
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhQPu-5C-WY
>>
>>64199790
god damn
>>
>>64199511

> I dont understand competition between alphas

**tips Fagora**
>>
>>64199869

Edited to fuck though
>>
>>64199489
I think the implication is some sort of dirty dealing(?). Though, the analogy seems inappropriate.
>>
>>64200196
Nah. More to do with no one willingly admitting to it.
>>
>>64199179
This was an unusually informative post.

Are you from Asia? Why do you know so much about the business of overseas cinema?
>>
File: rust wut.jpg (9 KB, 251x229) Image search: [Google]
rust wut.jpg
9 KB, 251x229
>>64194655
>made with integrity
>>
File: 1444993320950.jpg (365 KB, 2000x1087) Image search: [Google]
1444993320950.jpg
365 KB, 2000x1087
>mfw TFA makes 2 billion domestically
>>
>>64199965
You're implying that two cinematic products can be "alpha". Are you that detached from society that you truly think this? Youre personifying movie. Think about that... youre giving human characteristics to something that was made to sell tickets and toys.
Movies arent "alpha"... you've spent too much time on 4chan.
>>
So after TFA becomes the new top grosser, which movie will /tv/ hate next and then claim to have loved TFA the whole time?
>>
JJ didn't tell the chinks it was based on their home
>>
>>64200688

> James Cameron and JJ Abrams are not alphas

holy fuck youre dumb
>>
>>64200714
>So after TFA becomes the new top grosser

kek
>>
>>64198665

They didn't get to watch it legally till this year.

Yes that's right they only saw the 1977 one this year.

China's box office won't save TFA
>>
>>64198879

Can't wait to see the narrative collapse if it flops in China and all the star wars manchildren turn more racist than /pol/ overnight once they start getting teased.

>FUCKING SUBHUMAN GOOKS DON'T LIKE OUR HIGH ART DISNEY MOVIES ABLOO HOOO HOOOOOOO
>>
>>64201039

Whatever you say Cameron.
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.