[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Worst lines of Star Wars
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 14
File: image.jpg (21 KB, 512x288) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
21 KB, 512x288
What do you think the worst line of the entire franchise is? I'll start:

>From my point of view the Jedi are evil
>Anakin
>ep III
>>
"I don't like sand"
>>
>Yippieee!
>Anakin
>Episode 1
>>
Midichlorians
>>
File: architect.png (343 KB, 807x356) Image search: [Google]
architect.png
343 KB, 807x356
where do I start...
>>
"fear leads to anger. anger leads to hate. hate leads to suffering.”
>>
>Luke, I..

Who writes this shit?
>>
>>64190959
>>64191195
>>64191220
>>64191221

>DAE think prequels are bad??!
>please give me upvotes!!

redditors are here i see
>>
New movie averted this problem by having boring and generic dialogue. Does anyone remember a single quote from that thing?
>>
>>64191299
QUAD JUMPAH
>>
>>64191299
thats not how the force works, traitor, and that thing that luke said at the end
>>
>>64191299

TRAITOR
>>
>>64191285

Prequels weren't super bad, just even

Their focus on politics and the awesome duel scenes were their redeeming qualities

Liked that the trade federation and its relationship with the Republic's parliament was close analogue to the Hanseatic League's relationship to European monarchies
>>
>Who talks first do I talk first do you talk first ehehehehehe XDD
>>
>>64191363

A deserter being called a traitor by his former army in a loud voice is not the most original or memorable concept
>>
"Where's my boyfriend?"

Was clear that lady had some hella creep erotomania shit going on, yet we were still expected to sympathize with her
>>
>>64191221
This
>>
>"Only a Sith deals in absolutes"
>tfw this statement is an absolute
>>
>>64191375

No one else liked that.
>>
>>64191520
lucas wanted the jedi and sith way to be wrong in his sequels
both are absolute
>>
>>64190959
>In the shadow of the new Star Wars, The Force Awakens in individuals such as her.

I was like "It's Lucas all over again!"
>>
"Only because you're so beautiful"
god, anakin and padme's scenes were so cringe
>>
>>64191299
Most of us only watched it once, while we saw the prequels more often and of course the RLM review, which repeated the worst lines about 10 times per review.
>>
>>64191538

A good fictional world needs to have some political structure in the backdrop as part of its worldbuilding, since how decisions are made affects how characters behave
>>
>do you have a boyfriend, a cute boyfriend?
>>
>you underestimate my power
>>
>>64191641

>tfw he didn't say "or girlfriend?"
>>
>>64191620
i never watched indiana jones to see him go through college to become an archaeologist
>>
>There was a security hologram of him
>starts to snicker
>KILLING YOUNGLINGS
>Can't fucking hold it in

Seriously though, episode III > V
>>
"Rey, I wish I was strong and brave and smart like you."
>Finn
>>
>>64191693

It would be nice if there was more focus on an academic's career in those movies, such as whether or not one of his colleagues gets promoted from assistant to associate professor, Indiana Jones having to publish or perish and being rejected from several journals despite his original but well sourced argument, and so on
>>
>>64191299
AN SOLO, YER A DED MON
That's not how the Force works!
TRAITOR!
BEN!
Droid, please
TELL DAT TA KANJIKLAB
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v69uph7Azs
>"You are in my very soul"
>>
>>64191786

Too bad nothing as awesome as original trilogy, hell some parts actually felt like pandering to prequel trilogy fans
>>
>>64191752
Boy, and then we could see someone play a young Sean Connery theorize about the Holy Grail's location as they walked down university hallways! Such a world it would build, truly fully realize the essence of Indiana Jones.
>>
"Hey Luke, just be glad I saved your life from Snoke. Now let me continue your training in case we encounter any more With"
Rey
Episode VIII
>>
>There are heroes on both sides
Seriously what the fuck was that about regaeding the movie?
>>
>>64191735

They're trying to show that she's ultra-competent and hardy, which they establish from the offset she is.
>>
>>64191826
2 more movies senpai
>>
>>64191854

That would make a good passing scene. Maybe have him argue with a post-modern leaning assistant professor who believes the existence of the holy grail is just a "dangerous, socially constructed hegemonic narrative". That would actually be a really great scene desu.
>>
- "But I was going into Tosche Station to pick up some power converters!" (Luke)

- "BUTHANANDLEIA WILLDIE IF I DON'T" (Luke)

- "Luke...." (Vader)
Raises head, "Father? Ben, why didn't you tell meee" (Luke)

- "So what I told you was true, from a certain point of view." (Ben)

- "I know....somehow...I've always known." (Leia)
>>
>>64191858
It was probably Lucas trying to make it sound like moral-relativism, i.e. each side has their own heroes.
>>
>>64191858

In every two-sided war, there are heroes on both sides. Unfortunately, in TFA Kylo Ren was a wimp and Phasma spent the second half of the movie getting her ass kicked like a soda can on a sidewalk.
>>
>>64191752
Read a fucking biogrophy of some famous archaeologist but don't go into an adventure movie expecting an indepth view on some asshole's dissertation.
>>
>>64191913

People who complain about whiny protagonists in later science fiction and fantasy franchises keep forgetting what a whiny shit Skywalker was.
>>
File: 7XXlF1qafwqlo2.png (150 KB, 500x205) Image search: [Google]
7XXlF1qafwqlo2.png
150 KB, 500x205
>>64190959

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xP3fI7yn5s

that whole fucking scene was awful. its like middle school play tier. thank based ewan mcgregor for trying to salvage that shit.
>>
>>64191951

It would actually be a really great bit of character development or exploration if they explore the details of Indiana Jones' dissertation defense. Maybe have him talk about how he was on the verge of getting a failing mark from his committee and pulled through at the last minute by fielding a question from his dissertation chair with ace argumentation and evidence.
>>
>>64191299
WHERE DA WHITE WOMEN AT??
>>
>>64192014
We could even throw in some scenes of a female student studying alongside him! They could exchange romantic pleasantries like, "Your eyes shine like these jewels I read about." Of course, this would be a distraction from Jones' thesis and major work output during his collegiate career and may land him in some hot water when a focus group breaks out! Boy, just imagine him sweating as we watch him furiously take notes!
>>
>>64190959
“Now that I’m with you again, I’m in agony. My heart is beating, hoping that that kiss will not become a scar.”
>>
>>64191998
Shocking dialogue, but you have to say the saber fight is pretty sick.
>>
>>64191403
The line was stupid but I think it was delivered well because Poe wasn't really acting smug, it was more of a last resort quip.
>>
>>64192107

That wouldn't be bad at all. But of course he would also have to do his major fieldwork in somewhere with a heavy travel warning.
>>
>>64191913

"Governor Tarkin, I should have expected to find you holding Vader's leash. I recognized your foul stench when I was brought on board." (Leia)
>>
>>64191858
It was retarded because there was a never a human aspect to the war, it was just clones killing droids. And the CIS was just a bunch of corporations with droid armies that didn't want to pay space taxes. How can there be heroes if there's nothing heroic to be done?

>nice job you killed 100 enemies and saved the planet single handedly
>they were droids though so who cares
>and the guys you saved were just clones
>factoring in medicine and fuel costs letting them all die would have been better
>but hey man at least morals up
>not that that matters because clones are basically slaves and will fight no matter what
>>
File: 1429693771140.jpg (24 KB, 488x488) Image search: [Google]
1429693771140.jpg
24 KB, 488x488
>>64190959
Now that I think of it, a lot of the dialogue is all the Star Wars movies is pretty bad. BUT it's the delivery that makes them passable.

>Shut down all the garbage compactors on the detention level.

>12 parsecs

If you had a good charismatic actor playing Anakin, those lines wouldn't have come off so wooden and jarring. Fuck even Watto delivered his lines better.
>>
>>64191538

It was well established that the Empire arose from the decay of an old Republic that weakened and gave way to autocratic leadership. It's understandable a prequel series would show how that happened, even if they rushed it way too much. Was expecting something more Shakespearean, though, like Julius Caesar.
>>
>>64191285
Do you never get tired of posting?
>>
File: Traitor_Time.jpg (34 KB, 500x598) Image search: [Google]
Traitor_Time.jpg
34 KB, 500x598
>>64191363
>>
>tfw Kylo Ren is just an ordinary angsty teen hanging out with rebellious kids that his ultra-traditional closed-minded parents don't like

"But mooommm why won't you buy me tickets to the 3teeth concert?" - Kylo Ren
>>
>>64191998
It was obviously inspired by classic theater plays so it's no surprise that it resembles a school play.

You guys are retards that don't know anything other than muh generic hollywood acting.
>>
>I'm still hunted by the kiss that you shouldn't have given me
>>
>>64191221
what's so bad about midichlorians?
>>
>>64192398
>its inspired by classic theatrer thats why its bad
>>
>>64192130
Anakin fucking drop kicks Obi-wan.
>>
>>64191998
The visuals are great, it's just acting so wooden you'd swear it was a tree. Lots of subtle visual shit going on.
>>
File: fuck.png (859 KB, 910x546) Image search: [Google]
fuck.png
859 KB, 910x546
>ULO WEY CHOOKU CHICKY PA TA
>>
>>64192419

They're an OK fantasy concept. Magic prophet particles work for explaining the force and force sensitivity.
>>
>>64191998
Thats not even a bad scene though. Should have gone with rapey hayden in 2.
>>
>>64192472
It's not bad, you just watch too much Plinkett reviews.
>>
>>64192419
specifically designed to shit on one of the best sequences of empire.

As stated every single time someone asks whats so bad about midichlorians
>>
"Droid please" being obviously meant as "Nigga please"
>>
>A woman always learns the truth. (Han)
>Anything else? (Kylo)
>Stop holding my hand!
>TRAITOR
>THE REPUBLIC IS NO MORE
>I don't know if I'm strong enough... Will you help me?
>I feel it again... The call to the light.
>It is I! C3PO! You probably didn't recognize me because of the red arm.

I'm probably misquoting half of these in some minor way, but I only saw it once like 10 days ago
>>
>>64192419
Trying to scientifically quantify the force, creating power levels etc.
>>
>NO NOO YOU WILL DIEEE
>>
File: mule.jpg (23 KB, 500x300) Image search: [Google]
mule.jpg
23 KB, 500x300
>>64192588
>its not bad
>>
>>64192593
>specifically designed to shit on one of the best sequences of empire.
what do you mean by this, what sequences
>>
>>64192664
That is why you fail.
>>
>>64192386

>3teeth

Kylo Ren seems like more of a Youth Code fan
>>
>>64192648
What's up with prequel haters just quoting a post and adding a smug pic?
It's probably always the same guy.
>>
>>64191407
How often have you seen that in movies?
>>
>>64192683
tell me damn it. you're being vague.
>>
Any theories about who snoke is and/or where he came from?
>>
>>64192692
Because the prequels are indefensible. So all that can be done is reaction images.

You might as well try to extol the virtues of jupiter ascending. But because you didn't grow up with jupiter ascending, you won't.
>>
>>64192664
People are dumb and think midichlorians = force and not midichlorians = interface.

Also I swear everyone misses how clearly the prequels were made to contrast heavily with the originals, where the originals handwaved politics the prequels were propelled by them, etc.
>>
>>64192720
TFA is a flick, not a movie.
>>
>>64192726
>That is why you fail.
t. Yoda
>>
>>64192761
>muh film > movie > flick hierarchy
>>
>>64190959
Only a master of evil Darth!
>>
>>64191752
Good series of bait you've got going.
>>
>>64192751
But 3 is the best SW movie
>>
>>64192758

>says original handwaved politics
>there's literally a civil war/violent revolution going on in the original trilogy, an inherently political conflict, with attention to the leadership of each faction
>"handwaved"
>>
I dont like sand, its course and rough and iritating and it gets everywhere
>>
>>64192751
I think you mean prequel hating is indefensible so you have no arguments left other than random pics.
>>
>>64192758
The OT was correct in handwaving the politics because lucas clearly doesn't have much more than a schoolhouse rock understanding of politics.

Not to mention the politics of the prequels are irrelevant, because everything that happens, happens because sheev is mind controlling everyone.
>>
"I wish I could just wish away my feelings"
>>
>>64192761
>He's memeing it up again!
>>
>>64192750

Jar Jar Binks after discovering the Philosopher's Stone
>>
>>64192817
The comparison to jupiter ascending is the hard counter to prequel defense, dog.

As the only difference between JA and the prequels is george lucas.
>>
>>64191998
Am I the only person who, even when I watched these for the first time, thought this looked ridiculous? It was so ineffective to have them jumping around on all of this shit. So emotionless. I was not let down more by any scene in this trilogy than I was with the final Obi Wan and Anakin fight,
>>
File: 1367851864438.jpg (11 KB, 212x204) Image search: [Google]
1367851864438.jpg
11 KB, 212x204
>>64192503
This must be the most dumbest, offensive change in the originals.
The "Noooooo" from Darth Vader is also horrible, as if the audience needs to be told what he's thinking just before he throws the Sheev down into the abyss. Jesus christ how autistic is George Lucas to just shove shit in all the time, he seems like a fat autistic child.
>I WANT TO SEE THE WEIRD ALIENS MAKE FUNNY MOVEMENTS
>PUT MORE WEIRD ALIENS INTO THE FRAMEH
>HHHNNNNNGGGGGGG
>JAR JAR IS KEY, HE'S FUNNIEST CHARACTER WE EVER HAD

Even on his interview on Red Tails
>This is first all black action movie
He literally says this to Oprah
And in an interview with JJ about the Force Awakens JJ Abrams asks.
>What is your favorite character
>Jar Jar
Oh George, no wonder why are you such a weird bitter autismal billionaire with no sense of personality or humor.
>Random interviews
>George keeps talking about important shit and his visions but like 90% doesn't make a lick of sense.
After watching like 20 interviews I'm convinced George Lucas is
1 Way too self absorbed and thinks of himself as a genius
2 Possibly autistic
3 Bought his black wife over ebay
>>
>>64191602
>anakin and padme's scenes were so cringe
This right hur
>>
>>64191998
i don't know mani thought it was pretty awesome
>>
>>64192849
So JA is good then? I havent seen it yet
>>
>>64192821

The politics of the original trilogy are based on the American Revolution, but with the Empire modeled more after 20th c. C.E. Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan than 18th century Britain
>>
>>64191752
B8-TR
>>
>>64192758
>midichlorians = interface
Headcanon created to handwave the shittiness of midichlorians. Every mention specifically states they're the sole determining factor of force sensitivity. Furthermore they're responsible for all life. So without them, life as it exists in the prequels doesn't exist at all and any life that is able to evolve is completely force deaf.
>>
>>64192821
The politics of the prequels were pretty much an amalgamation of rome and revolutionary france.

And yes it was the correct decision for the OT to do so because it serviced the story. But the story of the prequels was always going to be inherantly tied to politics, the rise of the empire and the fall of darth vader. And in many ways the fact that it's all calculated does matter. He organises the naboo crisis so he can take over, so he can create an army and have it ready to deploy when his other movement attacks, etc. The conflicts are still real conflicts within the republic, he plays them off against each other, there's no mind control, he takes things that are there and uses them to his own end. You could argue that he's making a point about the inherent futility of war if you really want.

>>64192812
You don't hear in great detail the structure of the rebellion, how it started, etc. you get the odd line of dialogue about it, that's all you need, it's hand waved.
>>
>>64192906
I liked the main villian thats about. Hilariously my dad thought that khylo ren and him were the same actor.
>>
>>64192971

You want to know best headcanon? That the new sequel trilogy is a work of propaganda created by the New Republic against their perceived counterrevolutionary enemies
>>
>>64192883
You're never the only one.

And yes, there isn't a single good scene or shot in the prequels. Even podracing is tainted by the knowledge that none of it means anything.
>>
>>64190959
>What do you think the best line of the entire franchise is?
"Eatchomomma, yub-yub"
>>
>>64192849
>dog
>i am euphoric
>>
>>64193046
yub nub!
>>
>>64192994
>The politics of the prequels were pretty much an amalgamation of rome and revolutionary france.

As understood by a child.
>>
>>64192971
No, that's pretty much exactly what they say. You're a fucking idiot.

>>64192906
It's interesting. Partly because of the main character being an oddly feminist friendly main character who is also very "girly girl"
>>
>>64193078

The prequels were based on the Republic ---> Empire transition in Rome + the Trade Federation is the Hanseatic League as represented by fictional aliens
>>
>>64193078
Not really, as portrayed by what you can do so in a film. You can't portray these things "properly" in movie form.
>>
>>64192906
Its a perfect example of "great ideas, horrible execution." But no one defends its ideas because it wasn't made by george lucas.
>>
>>64192928
The prequels were also somewhat based on the American Revolution

>muh stamp tax
>>
>>64191693
God I wish Reddit would leave
>>
>>64193111
Therefore, better to not have it at all.

If all you can do is shit, skip it.

Especially if you're going to handwave everything and make one character with galactic mind control responsible for everything.
>>
>>64193078
Summer popcorn film
>>
>>64191299
MEDIOCR-...I mean, TRAITOR
>>
>>64193154
Or you can stylise it and make it serviceable for purpose.

Also stop with this mind control bullshit, you're just making yourself look like a retard. Manipulation is not the same as mind control.
>>
>>64192906
i'd watch it at least once. its the type of movie that's so bad its good.
>>
>>64192994
>The politics of the prequels were pretty much an amalgamation of rome and revolutionary france.
In what ways specifically? Just the fact that there's a senate?
>>
>>64193195
RedditLetterMedia has destroyed their ability to think for themselves and have their own opinions
>>
>>64193195
>Or you can stylise it and make it serviceable for purpose.

Which george lucas was incapable of doing. But the prequel trilogy was all about giving him absolute creative control, so editing him was verboten.

Also, sheev mind controlling everyone in the galaxy is canon. So I don't understand why you want people to stop mentioning that.
>>
>>64191299
THAT'S NOT HOW THE FORCE WORKS
>>
>>64193257
and one character was given dictator status.

its really a complex metaphor.
>>
>>64193328
Lucas has always had total control. ALWAYS. No one was shackling him during ESB or ROTJ. His fingerprints are all over those films.
>>
>>64193076
It's "Yub" x 2
>>
>>64191375
>awesome duel scenes

You're kidding right? The prequel fights are some of the worst fight scenes in movie history.

They're some of the best dance scenes, though. I'll give them that.
>>
File: 1451263382815.gif (29 KB, 168x179) Image search: [Google]
1451263382815.gif
29 KB, 168x179
>>64191407
TRAITOR
>>
"we have a heartbeat" - rebel medic after Finn is brought back injured from the starkiller.

just because I hoped he'd died
>>
>>64193257
The way that the senate was limp wristed at the end of it's life reflects both Rome (you can get into arguments about when the Republic ended and the Empire began to be fair but that's complex to debate) and Revolutionary France and the way that they willingly gave their way to a strong, effective leader is arguably a thing that happened in both (though both times had more direct coups, but order 66 could be argued to be the representative of that, removing the "enemy")
>>
>>64193416
He didn't even have total control over ANH. The absolute most you can argue is the OT were a series of collaborations between lucas and people with far more talent and experience than him. The history of the OT is filled with lucas throwing out terrible ideas and getting shot down.
>>
>>64193456

>tfw you will never cross blades with Darth Maul, Mace Windu or Count Dooku
>>
>>64193496
But he did. The producers literally gave him a blank cheque to do whatever he wanted because of the success of American Graffiti. He had complete control, stop spreading this bullshit.
>>
>>64193514
Why would I want to? They all suck.
>>
>>64193496

What did you think of the novelization by the legendarily competent-but-not-great science fiction writer Alan Dean Foster?
>>
>>64193520
well meme'd
>>
>>64193435
that's not what wookiepedia says
>>
>>64193496
Who shot him down? He incorporated ideas, but he was never railroaded by anyone. There's a significant difference.
>>
>>64193580
Why are you trolling for information that's posted every time this comes up? that's readily available?

Do you think you're making someone upset?
>>
File: british.png (1 MB, 816x816) Image search: [Google]
british.png
1 MB, 816x816
"No-wanna-wanga... me takuh to jabbuh"
No-wanna-wanga
Was he offering up his dick here?
>>
>>64190959
Hold me like you did on Naboo (Ep. III)
>>
>>64191285
>DAE
>calls others redditors
>>
>>64191363
this is such a desperate attempt at trying to find a decent quote from tfa. its literally one word. nothing interesting about it, maybe the way he said it.
tfa had nothing of interest
>>
>>64190959
>>From my point of view the Jedi are evil

What exactly is the problem with this line, exactly? Is it Hayden's delivery or just the line itself? I could understand the delivery, but the line itself is not really that bad.

Anakin does legitimately believe the Jedi are traitors and hypocrites who need to be wiped out for the security of the galaxy for having betrayed him and the Republic/Empire.

Also, notice that he doesn't respond to Obi-Wan's statement that Sheev is evil, he just kinda says "Yeah, well, so are the Jedi if you ask me," I always thought it was weird how before had Obi-Wan bad mouthed the Chancellor, Anakin would have been like "no, he's a good man. He's watched over me and he cares about me." But here he doesn't refute the point that Sheev is evil, just changes the subject back to the Jedi. Other parts of ROTS make it clear he hated Sheev after realizing the truth and had every intention of killing him and taking over once he got what he needed from him.
>>
>>64191299
I can only give a quarter portion for this post.
>>
>>64193611
So you have absolutely no proof that Lucas was reigned in by anyone.

Thanks for playing.
>>
>>64192761
Kill yourself
>>
>>64193555
"The first deal we did was a two-picture deal at United Artists Corporation for George to write a script called American Graffiti, and for an untitled science fiction movie, in nine parts. Swear to God. This was what was in the contract. I know this because when Skywalker Ranch was built, George had a time capsule buried. One of the things I put in there was that contract, along with the articles of incorporation of Lucasfilm."

"George has an innate suspicion of Hollywood studios–“the worst thing that can happen to me is that I couldn’t make the sequel, or I couldn’t do the rest of the series if the first one worked. So you have to make sure that I have the ability to do that.” That part fell on me. So instead of taking more money or other things, he used the success of Graffiti for that. I want to emphasize that none of this was because he knew that Star Wars was going to be so successful. It was all about, “I don’t want to not have the ability to make the movies I want to make,” and have it get lost in what today is called development hell."

"It came because George just wanted to be able to make the movies he wanted to make."

tl;dr after american graffiti was a mega hit lucas used that clout to get himself a contract which let him do exactly what he wanted instead of more money.
>>
The dialogue in every film hovers around the same quality.
>>
>>64190959
I HATE YOU
>>
>>64193416
You're a fucking idiot, Lucas only had full control in RotJ. He barely visited the studio during ESB's production, and his only attempt to exert control was by making his own cut of the movie because Kershner's original cut was much slower and longer than the final version we have.

Read a properly researched story of the production of the movies before writing wrong statements.
>>
>>64190959
>this is the end for u muh mastah

Crngey as fuck ruins the scene
>>
>>64190959

It's not fair! etc. and all that Anakin whininess in Clone Wars that I didn't commit to memory
>>
>>64193661
>I'm literally too stupid to type in a search query
>or I think I'm being a clever troll by pretending to be that stupid

Willful ignorance at its best. Kill yourself.
>>
>>64193794
>He barely visited the studio during ESB's production

He fucking self financed empire, he had more than just total creative control, he had complete and total control over every aspect of empire.
>>
>>64191299
THIS POO TANG IS WORTH ONE QUARTER PORTION
>>
>>64191299
Haha, traitor and quarter portions amirite?

I imagine we will once it's released to homes and everyone will have a chance to watch it outside of cinema madness.
>>
>>64190959
I know george is a retard and can't into subtlety so he had to have anakin actually say that, but what logical reasoning could he have behind that statement, especially after he just killed a bunch of defenseless kids?
>>
"Don't make me kill you!" - Anakin threatens to Obi Wan
>>
>>64191299
THE SUPREME LEADER IS WISE
>>
>>64193822

>implying financing = creative decisions

This is like people who think donors to a publishing house are its direct puppeteers about what books and printed materials to publish
>>
>>64193822
Which is why he was horrified when the budget for ESB was increased to 33 million dollars, and saw Kershner's original cut. The final cut was a compromise between Kershner's insistence on character study and Lucas's focus on raw action sequences.

That's why he exerted full control of everything for RotJ's production, he had a heart attack during ESB's production and thought people disliked the movie. Hence, Ewoks and terrible dialogue all over the place.

But Lucas originally tinkered with the idea of allowing each Star Wars movie to be directed by different people, and the production of the original movie was so exausting he gave Kershner full control of the production of the sequel.

Again, read proper documents like "The Secret Story of Star Wars" before writing wrong statements.
>>
>>64193960

Return of the Jedi was better than the Edge Strikes Back though
>>
>>64192814
Was Anikin autistic?
>>
>>64193956
When you have both creative control and financial control, you have both financial and creative control.

>>64193960
None of that means he didn't have complete final control, it just means he chose to trust Kershner and decided to not go with that again when he thought people disliked empire.
>>
>Han no, It was snoke! He turned our son to the dark side.

EXPOSITORY HAND HOLDING 101

If any of you are as autistic as myself *tips* you'll have also picked up on the really shite cut during that scene too. Camera 'jumps' towards Leia slightly but the angle barely changes. looks really bad, like Jew Jew Abraham just said 'Fuck it, we only got this angle but so what, they'll eat it up anyway'

Also when Based Kylo was chatting to Snoke (the man who turned him to the dark side, that man being Han and Leia's son Kylo Ren) he says something along the lines of 'She is strong with the force!' The line isn;t bad itself but Kylo Ren (Han and Leia's son) starts gathering spittle around his mouth and his lips gets all wet. Disgusting.
>>
>>64194041

He was bipolar

He turned to the dark side because he wasn't taking his meds
>>
YOU NEED A TEACHUR
>>
>>64194087

What the woman I lost my virginity to said, verbatim
>>
>>64191299
>Why are you doing this?
>Because it's the right thing to do.
>You need a pilot?
>I need a pilot.
>>
>>64193655
The meaning behind the line is fine, the line itself is terrible. The "from my point of view" part is entirely unnecessary and awkward. Who the fuck says "from my point of view" in a heated argument?

"The jedi are evil" part oversimplifies a complex feeling. Anakin could easily berate the Jedi for not acting or being ineffective but "evil"?
>>
>>64192814
>>64194041

Padme was talking about having fun on the beach in the sand and her talk of sand just reminded him of that shithole Tatooine he lived on. She's talking about how great the sand on the beach was to a guy who lived on the sand planet so he's like "nah, sand kinda sucks"
>>
>>64191998

"Don't make me kill you"

That's one of the most cringeworthy things in there.
>>
>>64194118

Kek'd
Then let me show you the ways of the force
>>
>>64194066
Agreed, that line was incredibly unnatural
>>
>>64194120
>"We're gonna do this."

D-Do what, senpai?
>>
>>64191299

DROID PLEASE
>>
>>64193655
>Anakin does legitimately believe the Jedi are traitors and hypocrites who need to be wiped out for the security of the galaxy for having betrayed him and the Republic/Empire.
what ever gave him that idea? How did they betray him?
>>
>>64192971
>Every mention specifically states they're the sole determining factor of force sensitivity. Furthermore they're responsible for all life. So without them, life as it exists in the prequels doesn't exist at all and any life that is able to evolve is completely force deaf.
You realize this just confirms what he said, right?
>>
>>64194227

It's like a metaphor for betraying God because in your angst you think religion is hypocritical and evil, so your soul becomes damned to Hell unless you regain your faith, and come to understand that God never changes but works in mysterious ways
>>
>>64194058
But Lucas didn't have full control. He co-wrote the script with other people because he knew he was a terrible writer. He visited the studio like 2 or 3 times because he didn't want to experience again Star Wars' hellish production and shooting. He only attempted to exert creative control once all scenes were shot and all that was left was assembling the final cut.

Marquard was selected because he was very similar to Lucas, and Lucas would finally have control of everything, the powet he didn't have in the first two movies (in SW because he didn't finance the movie, and in ESB because he didn't want to be involved). The thing is that, when making ESB, its sequel wasn't supposed to be the final entry for Luke's story. But ESB was, again, so exausting to Lucas, and he was in the middle of his divorce, he just wanted to leave Star Wars. Hence, the rushed nature of RotJ, with some misteries like Yoda's enigmatic "no, there is another" in ESB, or the inongruency of Obi-Wan's actions in SW with Vader's revelation in ESB to be resolved in the laziest way possible.
>>
>>64191299
TRAITOR
>>
>>64194312
I don't think that answers my question.
>>
>>64194066
d-dang he actually looks cute in this picture
>>
>>64194122
>The "from my point of view" part is entirely unnecessary and awkward. Who the fuck says "from my point of view" in a heated argument?

The way I always took the line's use of "point of view" was that it was a sign that Anakin is descending into a realm of moral subjectivity.

The line naturally flows from what Sheev told him earlier

>"The Jedi only use their power for good"
>"Good is a point of view, Anakin"

later
>"Chancellor Palpatine is evil"
>"From my point of view, the Jedi are evil"

Again, he's not denying Sheev is evil or trying to refute the point Obi-Wan made that Sheev is evil. He could have just said "No, the Jedi are evil" which if had would have probably been even worse of a line for that scene. By adding the "from my point of view" and not having him deny Sheev's being evil where he would have before learning Sheev was a Sith, you at least get the sense that Anakin may only be saying that statement because he's become disillusioned. It's enough that the Jedi seem evil from his own vantage point to justify their elimination because in the end these ideas of objective "goods" and "evils" are just bullshit the Jedi told him.
>>
>>64194354

He looks like a lil shit in that picture
>>
>>64194370

>tfw Star Wars is an anti-intellectual series discouraging complex thought about ethics and morality by portraying it as evil and a threat to an oversimplified neo-Manichaean narrative

I always suspected as much
>>
>>64174500
Darth Plagueis
>>
>>64191998
what I never got was why having the highground was such a big deal here. if he just made a smaller jump he wouldn't have been in the air above him. Why did he force jump there ? A normal smaller jump to land him just at the edge would have been out of Obiwans reach.
>>
>"There is no try"

>"Aren't you a little short for a storm trooper?"

>"Fear will keep the local systems in line"

>"Even I get boarded sometimes"

>"NOOOOOO!!!!!"
>>
>>64191998

Revenge of the Sith is fun in my opinion because the acting in many scenes is like something out of a spanish novella. Only space opera patricians can appreciate the hoakiness and over the top feeling of it all.
>>
>>64191998
the "you're breaking my heart" was good tho
>>
>>64194651

I like the part where he's all "I am more powerful than the Chancellor, I can overthrow him! And together you and I can rule the galaxy, make things the way we want them to be." And then he gives her that creepy rape smile and she gets this look on her face like "Holy shit, this dude's nuts (of course I should have known that by the way he slaughtered all those Muslims years back)"

People shit on Hayden a lot, but I think he did a good job portraying Anakin the way George wanted Anakin to be, whether or not George's idea for how Anakin was supposed to be was good or not is a different argument.
>>
>>64192398
no. it's obviously bad. doubt is a great adaptation of a stage show.

the sabre fights really are a trite load of garbage

wtf are they doing at 3:01?
>>
>>64194127
You're just salvaging shit from a stupid line. There are many, many ways to convey Anakin feeling like that but of course George just spelled it out hilariously bad because he's a retard.

>>64194370
>Again, he's not denying Sheev is evil
No reason for you to assume this. In fact, most of this is again just somebody trying to piece together meaning from things that just don't add up 100%. Clearly Anakin is torn between his morals but, I mean... why are the Jedi evil? Because of lack of action? Because they do good things? Anakin can have his own morals and descend into the dark side, but that doesn't change how utterly stupid this line is.
>>
>>64194852
I saw the making of video where he's directing him on how he should act, clearly lucas is a shit director. Feel bad for the actors because they couldn't really say anything. Had it been any other franchise, they would have laughed at his face and just done it the way they wanted to. Pretty sure 99% of quality actors wouldn't tolerate it.
>>
>>64190959
>I wish i could just wish away my feelings

How do you even write that without feeling awkward?
>>
>>64194852
>>64195139
Anakin definitely delivered some lines bad, especially in AoTC but yeah, it's hard not to feel super bad for Hayden Christensen. He seems like a nice guy and he's not a bad actor.
>>
>>64191998
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGbA6fL5OT8
This version is better
>>
>>64195092
I kinda liked it though, a bit over the top but the saber fight was kind of the redeeming moment of the prequels, if you can call it that.

And not to get too autismal over it, they were playing mind game. I used to be really good at the ufc game for dreamcast and my brother was just as good. We used to have long as matches because were mostly taunting and trying to provoke an opening. They're doing the same shit.
>>
>>64194562
Idk why are those stupid, let alone worst

there is no try, there is only do is fantastic and has roots in eastern spirituality and absolutely makes sense and explains the force well

aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper is ok too, because luke was supposed to be like 18

fear will keep the local systems in line? whats dumb about that

basically, you're just edgy and make no sense
>>
>>64195236
Man, it's so fucking weak to excuse that shit with "they were trying to provoke an opening" when it's so, so obvious the actual reason for them doing that is just because George thought it looked cool. Anything, ANYTHING good from these prequels that isn't a performance is 100% apologists.
>>
>>64195356
>George thought it looked cool
I'm sure he did, but it's still what they're doing.
>>
That scene where Mace tells Sheev about how he forced his son to suck his warm black dingus was pretty cringe worthy
>>
>>64194433

The theme of moral subjectivity and Anakin's beginning to see the Jedi Order's pretensions to goodness as a farce are very present in Episodes 2 and 3.

When Anakin is talking to Padme on the refugee ship in Episode 2 and he goes into the talk about how possession is forbidden and so is attachment and he repeats this in a way that sounds almost like he's only reciting what his masters tell him but he doesn't really believe it, but when he gets into the talk about compassion, he seems a bit more happy to talk about that part. You get the sense that Anakin finds the whole stuff about attachment kind of silly, but the idea of compassion towards others is something he definitely believes in.

When he kills the Sand People, Padme's like "To be angry is to be human" and Anakin kind of shakes his head at her and is like "I'm a Jedi. I know I'm better than this"

Then of course, you get to Episode 3:

>"Kill him. Kill him now"
>"I...I shouldn't"
>"I shouldn't have done that, it's not the Jedi way"
>"You can't. It's not the Jedi way! He must stand trial!"
>"You must break through the fog of lies the Jedi have created around you. Let me help you to know the SUBTLETIES of the Force."
>"Anakin, if one is to understand the great mystery, one must study all its aspects, not just the dogmatic narrow view of the Jedi. If you wish to become a complete and wise leader, you must embrace...a larger view
>"Ever since I've know you, you've been searching for a life greater than an ordinary Jedi, a life of significance, of conscience.
>"The Sith rely on their passion for their strength, they think inwardly, only of themselves
>"And the Jedi don't?"

Anakin repeatedly tells himself that the Jedi are good. The process by which Anakin falls to the dark side is a process in which he stops believing there is a real good or evil beyond just power.
>>
>>64195452
No. It's what you piece together they're doing as the viewer.
>>
>>64195613
now you're just being retarded.
>>
>>64195236
nah, i really think the long winded sabre fights added nothing. the story just stops while they fight and for a life/death fight, they do the dumbest of things. it's not even an impressive fight, and to get autismal about it; they have the sharpest swords in existence, that's completely not how you'd fight with them.
>>
File: 1446600453483.jpg (21 KB, 400x268) Image search: [Google]
1446600453483.jpg
21 KB, 400x268
>>64195481
what the fuck haha
>>
>>64191299
These five parts are worth...hmm...ONE...QUARTER...PORTION
>>
>>64195703
>the story just stops
Implying this wasn't a good thing for those shit stories.
>>
Probably embarrass myself by misquoting but
>your son is dead. He was foolish like his father, so I destroyed him
>>
>from my point of view the Jedi are evil!
>Anakin you killed children and choked a pregnant woman into a coma!
>my master says the Jedi are evil!
>Anakin, you killed an entire classroom of borderline infant children with a sword! You threw Mace Windu out of a window! You decapitated an old man with no hands! You burnt an entire village to the ground and murdered all its occupants! How can you possibly consider yourself good relative to me?
>well i hate sand!
>>
>>64190959
It's bad but I think he just references something Sheev said earlier in the movie which is why he includes "point of view" instead of just outright declaring they're evil.
>>
>>64195800
>You threw Mace Windu out of a window!
Lmao. actually sheev did that, anakin just helped
>>
>>64193777

The delivering is so fucking weak
>>
>>64191299
The droid... Stole a freighter?
>>
>>64195800
>I KILLED THEM ALL
>NOT JUST THE MEN, BUT THE WOMEN... AND THE CHILDREN...
>I HATE THEM, THEY'RE LIKE ANIMALS...
But not as much as I hate sand tbqh pamily
>>
>>64192605
This was meant to be a reply to someone saying there were no memorable lines
>>
>>64194120
Fucking those two needed to do more together. Absolutely great chemistry.
>>
>>64196013
I'd watch that porno desu senpai
>>
>>64195130
>You're just salvaging shit from a stupid line.

I've never heard anyone really explain why it's stupid other than just memeing or Hayden's awkward delivery while picking at the stone balcony like an autist.

Padme: "We used to lie out on the sand and try to guess the names of the birds singing"
Anakin: *looking down* "I don't like sand...it's rough, coarse and irritating *looks up at Padme and smiles* and it gets everywhere. Not like here (Naboo)."

It was always obvious that Anakin was recalling Tatooine where he had more than his fair share of sand to last a lifetime.

There's pleny of cringeworthy lines in that movie. But the focus on that one just feels like a meme out of hand.

>why are the Jedi evil?

"A Jedi uses the force for knowledge and defense, never for attack."

Mace was clearly breaking this rule when it came to Sheev. This idea that the Jedi are hypocrites to their own religion is one of the things that is pretty consistent in ROTS.
>>
>>64193794
But he allowed those things to happen. Nothing was forced on to him. Implying that people stood up to Lucas is revising history. He simply allowed others to take the wheel. BUT he still wrote the story, oversaw the editing, and had final say on EVERYTHING.
>>
>>64193960
The Secret History of Star Wars has been refuted a number of times. The guy had an axe to grind. Lucas hit piece pure and simple.
>>
The prequels were better than tfa, this will be established when the hype goes away
>>
>>64192209
>Vader's leash
Kinky
>>
>>64196285
FTA is better than any of the prequels for the iconography alone
>>
>>64194127
This is exactly right. RLM shills have little grasp on the context of the line. LOLIHATESANDWUT?!?!? when it's a perfectly natural progression of a conversation started by Padme.
>>
>>64194315
You have no idea what full control means.
>>
>>64195703
>they have the sharpest swords in existence, that's completely not how you'd fight with them.

Actually it probably is more than you think. If lightsabers were real, people would probably spend a lot of time in a lightsaber duel either defending or trying to keep their opponents blade busy so they don't have time or opening to make any actual strike. Because unlike with a regular, if one aimed and swung hard enough at just your upper arm with the broad end of the sword, you'd either lose that arm or the blade might go straight through that arm, through your entire upper torso and out through the other arm. In such a battle, you wouldn't want to hastily make any kind of kill strike that might leave you too open.

Plus, even in normal fencing, people aren't always striking straight for the opponents chest with every blow.
>>
It was obvious to me when I first watched the prequels that they were heavily influenced by latino soap operas and the like. All the lightsaber duels were very Zoro esque and the acting almost seemed purposely atrocious.

Think Lucas didn't give a fuck what the fans wanted. I'm alright with that, there's very few auteurs left in the industry and because of that we see yes men like Abrams responsible for The Force Awakens.
>>
>>64196379
> iconography
Do explain which scenes these will be, I'm curious
>>
>>64196013

Better chemistry was btwn Kylo Ren and Gran Moff junior
>>
>>64193738
he's right you know
>>
>>64195139
>>64195184
>>64196895

I think Lucas was probably trying to go for hammy performances in some scenes. Some people feel that in some scenes that was a bad idea, but if you watch a lot of older science fiction movies, especially in the sort of serials that Lucas was inspired by to make Star Wars, you can see a similar style of "bad acting" that it makes me wonder to what extent George may have been trying to make the acting feel bad. In some interviews, he's claimed that the style of acting they were trying to do was something less modern.

Lucas admits that he's more of a visual director and idea guy and that dialogue is the hardest thing for him to do and so the style of the acting he may have been going for may have been to bring the best out of his dialogue. If the dialogue is bad, comic bookish or soap opera-tier, the delivery should probably feel that way too. But one of the best parts of ROTS as far as direction goes is the part where Anakin is waiting in the Jedi Council chamber, confused about what to do and looks out in the direction of Padme's suite and there's no dialogue other than few words voiced over by Ian McDiarmid and Hayden's Anakin is probably best when he doesn't talk very much and just expresses his feelings on his face. And one of Lucas' best films THX 1138 didn't have a whole lot of talking in it. And I think many of the problems with the acting in the prequels can also be seen in A New Hope and Return of the Jedi.
>>
>>64196544
>it probably is more than you think
no, it really isn't. even for long sword fighting it's terrible. with a blade that's infinitely sharp; zero power is required. it'd be an olympic style duel to cut your opponents fingers/hand. these large ostentatious movements are dumb

but that's totally not as cool as long sword fights and i'm sure your ufc video game tactics are legit
>>
"He is the TR-8R AAAAAAGGH"
>>
DROID, PLEASE!

>Episode VII
>>
>>64197262
you're leaving out the foresight force users have.
>>
>>64191299

>We'll use... the force
>THAT's NOT HOW THE FORCE WORKS

I also liked,

>Right, buddy? *Give thumbs up*
>*Give lighter thumbs up*

>B-boyfriend, ya gotta boyfriend?

The movie's bland Disney shit, but there was some funny stuff. The stormtroopers turning heel when they see evidence of Ren's temper tantrum also got me a giggle.
>>
>>64192398
Hahaha

>it was supposed to be bad!!

Well, mission accomplished. It's bad
>>
>>64197252
>writing is bad
>make acting bad to match
that's the most retarded shit i ever heard
>>
>>64197262
>with a blade that's infinitely sharp;zero power is required.

This is wrong though. Lightsabers don't magically cut without any strength applied to one's blows. Notice that Jedi actually have more trouble cutting through thicker surfaces.

>it'd be an olympic style duel to cut your opponents fingers/hand.

If you look at all the duels in the PT, most of the time they're aiming for arms and limbs. Even Dooku, who had every intention to kill Obi-Wan, first slashed at his limbs to bring him to the ground before preparing to deliver a kill blow, and in his fight with Anakin chose to slice his arm off. When Anakin fought Dooku again, Anakin chose to cut off his hands so that'd he be defenseless. Same thing in the fight between Obi-Wan Grievous,. And in TPM, Obi-Wan and Qui Gon mostly aim for Maul's feet and arms, except of course in the final part of the duel between Obi-Wan and Maul.
>>
>>64197526

Which is worse,

>soap opera lines with tremendous delivery that takes the lines way too seriously themselves by actors taking a soap opera script too seriously

or

>soap opera level dialogue with soap opera level acting by actors who know they're in a soap opera aimed at people who like soap operas and forgive soap operas for being soap operas

If you went with the former, you might end up with a movie where things feel worse or even more messy (especially if some actors are leagues better than others).
>>
>>64197372

Wow, Reddit's here in full force today.
>>
>>64190959
>Boba Fett? Boba Fett?? Where?!?!
>>
>>64191299
TRAITOR
BEN ?! for (4) obvious reasons
>>
>>64191826

>prequel trilogy
>fans

nice bait
>>
Thank God I have a HEMA class to go to before I could read this thread.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.