[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is Indian cinema so shit? I don't want to start a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3
File: Apu-Trilogy.jpg (46 KB, 610x406) Image search: [Google]
Apu-Trilogy.jpg
46 KB, 610x406
Why is Indian cinema so shit?

I don't want to start a race thread, but really, is there a logical reason to it? This isn't like Nigeria or whatever where they can't produce content. They make more movies than Hollywood. It's not poorness or lack of resources, because Mexico have made dozens of fantastic films. How is it statistically even possible to strike out so often?

https://youtu.be/AvwxLjpouGE
>>
Cultural relativism, yo
>>
>>64185637
No need for experimentation, when you also have a large poor population that just want a nice movie where everything is typically happy with romance and dancing while your own life is terrible it makes you feel better. In addition it's treated more as a profession for money rather than art for the sake of art.
>>
>>64185652
Um no. Indian cinema is objectively shit.
>>
>>64185810
>Bengali cinema
>Shit
>>
>>64185637
>This isn't like Nigeria or whatever where they can't produce content

Both India and Nigeria have multibillion film industries
>>
>>64185795
But there are plenty of dumb American films that have no artistic merit. Being simple doesn't mean it's bad. And infact, generally good simple movies do better than bad simple movies in the west. A movie like Star Wars is a cultural landmark whereas a movie like GI Joe is not. Both are equally simplistic and have the same beats of action and happy times and taking down a bad guy. There's no reason why the virtues of India cinema - dancing, singing and happy people can't be good. There's a reason why the sound of music is still remembered whereas Fame is not.
>>
pic unrelated OP?
>>
>>64185637
Seen their cities? They cant build a clean functional city wtf makes you think they could produce art? Theyre too busy doing the needful buddy..
>>
>>64185862
Well the problem lies in the fact that the cultural landmarks have been made and people just try to follow from there and not try to move past it. Granted I do think they are improving but, at a slow rate. I should also mention that it has to do with the fact that Bollywood cinema in particular is heavily commercialized more so than Hollywood anyway.
>>
DESIGNATED
>>
Because they're fucking savages. I mean say what you will about Arabs but at least they know to poo in the loo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_peUxE_BKcU
>>
Can confirm, and i lived with indians for nearly a year, watched countless films in several languages and from different periods. Some of the old religious epics were interesting, but only for the stories
>>
Its your own ethnocentrism talking OP. Bollywood movies are made for Indian people and not the world as a whole, they appeal to their target demographic.
>>
>it's a "trip person posts his shitty opinions to get attention" thread
>>
>>64185637
But APU TRILOGY is fantastic
>>
>>64185834

>India is Bangladesh
>>
>>64185637

You're asking why a people who shit in their streets can't do something properly?
>>
someone post that youtube clip where the entire theater is screaming and a kid is dancing in front of the screen
>>
>>64186773
There are Bengalis in India. They live in West Bengal.
>>
>>64186227
there are guide lines about what make a film good or bad regardless of the culture.
>>
subtlety is a foreign concept to indians.
>>
>>64186812
Its like you conveniently ignored the first sentence of my post.
>>
>>64187427
I did not.

A film is not immune to criticism because it is *for* a certain group of people,that is retarded,compelling characters,storys and settings are universal faggot.
>>
>>64187530
His initial point is that the movies are intentionally shitty because it's target audience has shit taste. You know, like americans and the mcu.
>>
DUDE GET AWAY WITH RAPE LMAO
>>
>>64187562
china has a lot of big budget stinkers too but they also have a lot of decent indipendent films that are really really good,so i am sure india does too.
>>
>When it's chest day but they only have one bench.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mDKCdNhFnA
>>
>>64185883

>produce art

Hollywood hasn't made a single film that could be qualified as art since 1978. More news at eleven: American cinema is dead
>>
>>64187659
>a lot of decent films
>that are really really good
oops
>>
>>64186828
Agreed, they take everything to excess
>>
>>64186801

My bad, you are correct.
>>
>>64187728
>Hollywood
>entirely representative of American Cinema
>'78 is when American Cinema died

Jesus
>>
Are any of Ray's films worth watching?
>>
>>64187992

The only one I've seen so far is Devi (AKA The Goddess) which was really good. Recommended.
>>
>>64187530
Are you fucking dense ? How can you judge whether an Indian character is compelling or not when you're not Indian ? I think those guys dancing in the theatre in those youtube videos must think otherwise, that doesn't mean that their tastes are automatically 'shitty', tastes and characters are subjective because of the inherant differences in cultures.

>storys

This depends on what movies you are waching. I dont know much about Bollywood, but I am willing to bet that there must be some indies with actually decent storylines. And ofcourse mainstream bollywood movies WILL have dogshit storylines, but they dont have a bearing on the entire industry as a whole just like capeshit doesnt mean that all hollywood movies have silly plots.
>>
>>64187728

Wait, aren't we comparing Bollywood to Hollywood in here? Both are equally as trash, that fag thinking there is actual artistic merit to be found in Hollywood is an idiot.
>>
>>64188143

Meant for >>64187957
>>
>>64188106
because humans are humans,niglet,they are not some alien species and if you can not empathize or comprehend their motives you might have retardaustism.
>>
File: 1450709337534.jpg (33 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
1450709337534.jpg
33 KB, 540x540
> Indian cinema is shit
> hiring more Indians every year in Hollywood biggies
>>
>>64188578
indians are hot.
>>
>>64188615
good one anon.
>>
>>64185637
They see movies as entertainment, not art. As such, movies have to be upbeat and cannot question cultural norms.
>>
>ITT: Bollywood = Indian cinema

All that arthouse Indian kino is pretty good, it's just you'll never find that shit unless you go to a film festival (ie: actually go physically to one).

Some good starting points or more accessible ones are:
>Bandit Queen
>Fire
>Earth
>Water
>Monsoon Wedding

I can't think of any others right now, but a lot of the dramatic non-Bollywood aesthetic films are usually okay.

That said, there are some pretty decent Bollywood flicks out there. I'd rather watch Sholay or that movie with the Terminator guys again than Hateful Eight.
>>
>>64189298
Nahi mausi ladka sahi hai bas jua khelta hai
>>
Still better than Australia
>>
>>64185637
Do they have designated shitting corridors in their theaters?
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.