[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How the fuck did this movie make so much money?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 3
File: file.png (288 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
file.png
288 KB, 500x281
How the fuck did this movie make so much money?
>>
>from the director of Titanic
>>
James Cameron makes movies that your parents enjoy because they are bland and completely safe in every way, and there are lots of parents.
>>
>>64179478

C A M E R O N
A
M
E
R
O
N
>>
>>64179478
Still to this day I have no idea, it's ridiculous.
>>
We told you this afternoon faggot.

First 3D flick to look good + Brown and Asian people get to see a beautiful world for the first time.
>>
>2.8 billion
Jesus fuck that's a lot for a new IP
>>
>>64179636
Also double ticket price for 3d = half the volume req
>>
I never saw it, but I remember at the time there were two main draws. One was the technology. Shit was released before in 3D, but it was mostly fare nobody wanted to see (at least not in 3D), like nature documentaries. Avatar was the first big, entertaining fiction movie to utilize 3D in a way that pretty much everyone wanted to see.

Second, the movie is about exploring a virgin world, which appeals to so many people who really just want a blank slate to start over on or just forget about how much their current lives on earth suck. I don't know if you remember, but there were reports back then about people leaving the cinema and bursting out crying because they didn't want to go back to the "real world".
>>
By being directed by James Cameron.
>>
>>64179478
3D was just starting. Hell, I remember Journey to the Center of the Earth got decent money just because it was one of the only 3D movies at the time, and its only redeemable feature was having Bren and that fine ass blonde chick.
>>
I can't wait for Avatar 2 to bomb
>>
>>64179636
Er, yeah. This guy said it far more succinctly than I >>64179753 did.

There really is no mystery, here.

The more baffling question is why TFA is doing so well.
>>
>>64179847
Nostalgia and hype, same as Jurassic World but on a larger scale.
>>
sexy Neytiri
>>
>>64179478
3D tech demo mane

Went to see that bitch in IMAX meaning I helped
>>
>>64179847
Normies and current 'nerd' culture is your answer. Women use star wars as a tool to appeal to a broader male audience, like the bunch of fucking whores they are.
>>
>>64179478
Hippie scum
>>
File: 1403646997100.png (24 KB, 340x500) Image search: [Google]
1403646997100.png
24 KB, 340x500
>>64179636
This.

You have to remember that the three peoples on Earth with the shittiest, most fucking awful taste in movies are Americans, niggers, and chinks. These three folk will watch the film equivalent of diarrhea as long as there are bright colors, explosions, and fast-moving action pieces.

Guess which three types of people saw Avatar the most?
>>
>>64179478
because cameron makes things happen
>>
Re-released
>>
>>64179538
>completely safe in every way
>missed the political undertones about north american colonization and the Iraq war

says the fag who probably prefers Michael Bay movies
>>
>>64179478
the CG was really good
>inb4 no it wasn't

stop being a contrarian asshat, it was good.
>>
>>64179478
Have you seen the trailer? At the time it was a very refreshing flick

>original story (no remake, reboot etc)
>awesome looking race and setting
>visually amazing

It is a perfect example of good marketing and inviting a wide audience. Not to mention it delivered.

Jupiter Ascending tried to do the same but it completely failed.
>>
>>64179478
Because seeing it just once in 3D wasn't enough for the most people. It has a shitty story, but it looks just too great in 3D in cinema.
Actually I never experienced something like that desu
>>
File: exhibit.jpg (34 KB, 590x392) Image search: [Google]
exhibit.jpg
34 KB, 590x392
>>64181636

>original story
>>
>>64179538
>and there are lots of parents.
This, fun fact: there's at least 2 parents for every single human being on earth. That's 12 billion parents to market to.
>>
>>64181722
LMAO
>>
>>64181685
more original than mad max, ALL the capeshit, star wars, zombie flicks and most things out there
>>
>>64181685
He never saw the matrix or Pocahontas
>>
>>64179478
most people are idiots anon
>>
Maybe because it's the greatest movie of all time?
>>
Muh visuals

The movie itself sucks
>>
>>64179478
$20 movie tickets
>>
>>64181911
in what way is a blow-for-blow retelling of dances with wolves an original story?
>>
>>64183083
It's more original than the 25th Bond movie or the 7th Superman movie
>>
>>64179538
or maybe its a movie 'your parents enjoy' because youre a fucking millennial who doesnt know jack shit about movies and doesnt remember things that happened 6 fucking years ago
>>
>>64183083
Actually its a retelling of Fern Gully: http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0104254/
>>
>>64183083
i hope you realize dances with wolves was a retelling of pocahontas

fact: avatar was an original ip with a story about universal truths. i bet youre one of those fucktards who complain how there are no original movies anymore but if there is one you shit on it anyway because youre just that kind of shitty person
>>
>>64181326
Pretty much Pocahontas in space with the added imperialism/explotation of resources emphasis. This is pretty damn safe in a PG 13 movie. Nothing GROUND BREAKING here but new CGI for the time.
>>
>>64183296
The villain was literally a US general working for a corporation.
>>
>>64183258
And Pocahontas is just a retelling of the bible.
>>
>>64183370
pocahontas really happened you fucktwat
>>
>>64179478

>India

Because donkey fuckers around the world loved it
>>
cus james cameron is da bess in da hole woooorld!
>>
>>64183388
So did the bible.
*lift*
>>
>>64183427
He's a lot better than most directors, and Avatar is a lot better than most blockbusters. Honestly its popularity is not really a mystery.
>>
>>64181722
you mean 14 billion you uneducated unupdated faggot
>>
>>64183491

Avatar was CRAP. It was like watching a giant video game in the movie theater. I like video games, but I don't want to see them in the theater. I prefer to watch actual films there...
>>
>>64179478
hype
gimmick
titanic
great fucking press when people became suicidal about it
>>
>>64183546
>Avatar is crap

Wrong. You didn't like it, okay, but your opinion can't change the state of something. It is not crap.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/avatar/
>>
It was the first 3D movie that actually put effort into using the 3D rather than just slap it on to amp up the ticket price.
>>
It was basically the premiere movie for HD technology, so virtually everyone selling HDTVs were pushing Avatar all over the place.
>>
>>64179538
hello reddit!
>>
>>64183481
GOD BLOW'S this anon THE FUCK OUT!

can i get a hallelujah?!
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.