[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people make fun of this? The Jedi really are evil.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: Vader1.jpg (82 KB, 992x951) Image search: [Google]
Vader1.jpg
82 KB, 992x951
Why do people make fun of this?

The Jedi really are evil.
>>
>>64162954
I wouldn't be a Sith lord but I'd never be a Jedi. How the fuck does love lead you to the dark side? You care about the person, you don't hate them, it doesn't promote evil. Having kids and looking after them is also a trait that promotes goodness and love. Not to mention the Jedi hate compassion, wtf? That makes you feel emotions that are good, that you care. And then this idea that you have to be bound to a certain set of rules by the council. Really retarded George.
>>
The sentiment wasn't the issue, it was how the line was written and delivered
>>
>>64163097
The Jedi shut off their emotions, as they believe that all emotions lead to evil.
On the other side, the sith use their emotions as fuel, to make themselves stronger
>>
You know what I would have liked?
If Anakin instead of talking about the Jedi being evil, embraced some relatable but bad mentallity and expressed it, giving some context to the Sith instead of just "Bad bad murder bad".

He could have said something like:
"Evil? You are a fool, 'master'. You always were. Look at what the Emperor did. He crushed the Republic, and made it rise anew. And all he had to do was use the power he was given. Anyone could do it, and anyone may. When those powerful sit around in councils, doing nothing, who will keep the peace against those who will use their own power? Face it. All it takes to rule, is to rise above those who refuse to act. It was not the Emperor who destroyed the republic. It was your incompetence. Without you, the galaxy will finally be ruled by those who will not stand down in the face of a growing threat. By those who will crush any, who would stand against order and peace! By those who unlike you, understand the true nature of the Force."

Doesn't really work in the context of the ongoing soap opera about Padme's pregnancy, and joining the dark side only to save her, but I think you can see how an actually crushing war throughout the last two movies could have set this up nicely, no?
>>
>>64163097
If I was part of an elite jedi order, I wouldn't want myself at risk of finding other jedi depressed or turned into an angry little shithead cause family died or a girlfriend broke up them. The stormtroopers have it right, not letting them even know who their family is.
>>
>>64163180
>The Jedi shut off their emotions, as they believe that all emotions lead to evil.

Kek, that really makes no sense considering that contradicts Obi Wan telling Anakin he loved him https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNqweQIq4uc

Also, that's a real black and white point of view, that all emotions lead to evil. Certainly some do, such as greed, jealousy and anger, but love, compassion and caring for others leads to good.

There's nothing wrong with using emotions as fuel, for good; just as Obi Wan used his emotions to strengthen himself to beat Maul after Maul killed Qui-Gon.

Bravo George.
>>
>>64163871
>Also, that's a real black and white point of view, that all emotions lead to evil. Certainly some do, such as greed, jealousy and anger, but love, compassion and caring for others leads to good.
That's the whole point

The Jedi are idiots, so self righteous that they fail to see beyond their abstract codes and rules.

Also, I think the idea is that love and compassion leads to sadness or anger when you're betrayed, when someone dies etc.
>>
File: High_ground.png (1 MB, 1919x816) Image search: [Google]
High_ground.png
1 MB, 1919x816
>>64162954
>>
>>64163966
>The Jedi are idiots
>they fail to see beyond their abstract codes and rules.

The whole point is that their codes are not abstract whatsoever, quite the opposite; they take a black and white/an autistic view of all emotions lead to bad, rather than the abstract view that some emotions lead to good and some lead to bad;

They can't differentiate between emotions, which is literally autistic.

But this doesn't even matter because in the above post I mentioned how contradictory it is for them to not partake in emotions, and yet Obi Wan feels love for Anakin.

George can't write for shit.
>>
>>64164061
George is showing Obi-Wan (and most of the jedi) to be hypocritical
>>
>>64164101
You give him too much credit. He's too autistic to convey things that abstract.

The Jedi code is literally retarded.
>>
how did palpatine find out that padme was gonna die in child birth anyway

was he just guessing
>>
>>64164140
He inserted the visions of Padme dying in Anakin's mind to convince him/scare him into turning to the dark side to prevent it from happening. It never was going to happen inititially, but it became a self fulfilling prophecy after Anakin turned into Vader, because George wanted muh tragedy.
>>
>>64163097
The Jedi are arbiters of justice, they've chosen their lifestyle to remain unbiased and removed from temptation. They wouldn't reccomend it, they understand that their lifestyle is a sacrifice for the greater good.
>>
>>64164138
You really like that word, don't you?
>>
Watched the scene again yesterday and I'm fairly impressed that even though the dialogue is all atrocious Ewan MacGregor manages to deliver it decently.
>>
ROTS still has pretty amazing background CGI desu senpaitachi
>>
>>64163871
>[love] leads to good

Are you fucking retarded or a child? Despite how much love has been romanticized in history it's actually an extremely destructive emotion. Romantic love is completely selfish. Love in general is irrational and can be dangerous. Despite all this it makes one feel "good" and that's how we rationalize the emotion as being "good".
>>
>>64164600
Found the foreveralone virgin
>>
>im fourteen
>>
>>64163654

While that's all fine and dandy, I don't think Lucas wanted to get a sense that Anakin's decision was like that. It had to do with Padme and Anakin's losing faith in the Jedi way which he himself only pretentiously feigns like he's obeyed.

A good example is how at the beginning of the movie, after killed Dooku, he says "I shouldn't have done that, it's not the Jedi way," Then again with Mace Windu where Anakin tells him he's going against the Jedi beliefs by striking down a weakened opponent and not letting Sidious stand trial, which leads up to "I see through the lies of the Jedi" and "from my point of view the Jedi are evil"

>>64163871
>Bravo George.

Well, the Jedi are meant to actually be somewhat in the wrong here. The Jedi denied Anakin many of his basic feelings, forcing him to live up to a strict code that very few Jedi, even among the masters ever really are able to live up to fully. Again, when Anakin attacks Mace, he tells Mace what he's doing is against what the Jedi stand for, but Mace has thrown the code out the window at that moment for the sake of what he feels is the most pragmatic course (killing Sheev). Anakin in a way stops not only him from killing the person he needs but also from breaking the Jedi code himself (a code which Anakin himself has broken severely in marrying without permission and slaughtering a bunch of Tuskens in rage). And had the Jedi seized control of the Senate, they probably would cease to be the same order of knights and be something that even if its Jedi in name, is far different in its actions, if not its actual creed.
>>
>>64163871
>>64164061
>being this fucking dense

Obi-Wan is not the epitome of the Jedi code. The code forbids attachment as the fear of loss is the path to the dark side. Obi-Wan's love for Anakin shook his resolve in killing Anakin, he GOOFED because of love, allowed Vader to live and in turn murder thousands in the years to come.
>>
>>64164061
>they take a black and white/an autistic view of all emotions lead to bad, rather than the abstract view that some emotions lead to good and some lead to bad;

I think you might be the autistic one here, because that's not what is explained in the films at all. From Attack of the Clones:

>"It must be difficult having sworn your life to Jedi, not being able to visit the places you like or do the things you like..."
>"Or be with the people that I love"
>"Are you allowed to love? I thought that was forbidden for a Jedi."
>"Attachment is forbidden. Possession is forbidden. Compassion, which I would define as unconditional love, is central to a Jedi's life. So you might say that we are encouraged to love."

Jedi aren't forbidden from compassion and empathy, but the idea, as is the case in many monastic traditions, is that one puts aside worldly things and ambitions, things which prevent one from selflessly serving others and serving the higher will of the Force and keep one attached to this world. In the EU, in order to harmonize the nature of Luke's school with the way Lucas handled the Jedi in the PT, they explained that Luke's Academy did not feel that the old way during that period was a very good way of doing it.

What causes Anakin's fall is his own seemingly natural inability to live up to the strict, dogmas of the Jedi Order and his feeling like their code and their hypocrisy is preventing him from having what he loves most (Padme, his mother) and the denying him the power he needs to protect those he loves because they're afraid of that power and of Anakin managing to obtain it before they can. And some of this comes off more strongly in the deleted scenes on the Blu Ray, but it's some of it is still plainly there.
>>
>>64164657
>disney taught me that true love is real

Oh, sweet summer child.
>>
>>64165032

Also, from ROTS

>The Sith rely on their passion for their strength, they think inwardly, only of themselves
>And the Jedi, don't?
>The Jedi are selfless, they only use their power to help others.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.