[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Orbital rendezvous without Matt Damon's ship establishing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4
File: martian2015.jpg (266 KB, 1008x1494) Image search: [Google]
martian2015.jpg
266 KB, 1008x1494
>Orbital rendezvous without Matt Damon's ship establishing a higher orbit and performing a retrograde burn to place periphrasis on intercept with Hermes
>No plane matching burn

Is this shit even possible?
>>
it's a black astrometrics thing, you wouldn't understand
>>
>>64160963
>>64161064
whoaa, in english please?
>>
I don't get how you could even still care about anything that was happening by that point. I could practically hear that "upvote reddit style" song playing in my head for the duration of the movie this thing was such a pandering shitheap.
>LE SPACE PIRATES
and then all the redditors were standing in their rows and contorting their faces to resemble popular reddit reaction images.
>>
>>64161090
you have mental illness
>>
File: 4g2q3a.jpg (156 KB, 500x712) Image search: [Google]
4g2q3a.jpg
156 KB, 500x712
>>64160963
I RAN THE NUMBER N SHIET
IT CHECKED OUT
I DID THE MAFFS N SHIET
IT CHECKED OUT
>>
File: uwotm8.jpg (99 KB, 1916x1080) Image search: [Google]
uwotm8.jpg
99 KB, 1916x1080
This is basically what happened in the film.

Matt Damon is launched on a sub orbital trajectory and then intercepts the Hermes.

No space rendezvous has ever been done like this irl so is it possible?
>>
>>64161137
Says the man hellbent on the destruction of his own race. Fuck off reddit. This was memetic normie trash through and through.
>>
>>64161183
For that to work the Hermes would have to slow down so much that it's no longer in orbit and would be on a sub-orbital trajectory towards mars.
>>
>>64161090

Because people can't write books without pandering to Reddit, right?
>>
>>64161573
Andy Weir can't apparently.
>>
>>64161606

Are his other books "Reddit tier"?
>>
>>64160963
Wouldn't he have to do a prograde burn to match velocities won't the Hermes instead of a retrograde one?

Also they probably planned the maneuver at a similar relative inclination to the Hermes so they didn't need to burn to match planes.
>>
>>64161155

anyone else wish this faggot killed himself during his meltdown?
>>
>>64161873
who is he?
>>
>>64161708
The easiest way of performing a rendezvous in space as far as I know is to establish a higher orbit than your target. Wait for both vehicles to be in the same orbital phase and then burn retrograde to slow down and intercept the lowest point of your orbit with the orbit of the target. You then match velocities with your target at your closest approach so that you're then in matched orbits.

But I'm not an astrophysicist.
>>
>>64162055
Astrophysicists study stars you pleb s.m.h
>>
>>64161304
The Hermes wasn't in orbit at all.
>>
>>64162149
Sorry I din du the maffs n shiet
>>
>>64161090
gb2 >>>/tv/
Oh wait
>>
>>64162205
It was, they were using Mars for a free return trajectory.
>>
>>64161304
No? The Hermes didn't have to do shit. Damon had to match velocities with the Hermes on an escape trajectory s,mh fa,m
>>
>>64161090
>then all the redditors were standing in their rows and contorting their faces to resemble popular reddit reaction images.
underrated
>>
>>64162290
How would Damon have achieved an escape velocity on that tiny little ship? I doubt it had the Delta V to go that fast.
>>
>>64162252
I think they said in the movie that it wasn't going to enter Mars' orbit because the wouldn't have enough fuel to return to Earth.
>>
>>64161090
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQ_22MzZwNw

upboat
>>
>>64162381
They used fucking ion engines to propel the Hermes, I don't think Weir cares about the rocket equation t b h
>>
>>64161183
The relative speeds would differ by thousands of m/s
It's one part where suspension of disbelief is necessary at that part.
>>
File: P03_F15_625.jpg (66 KB, 625x523) Image search: [Google]
P03_F15_625.jpg
66 KB, 625x523
>>64162392
It didn't enter a proper orbit by slowing down around Mars, but it did do this.
>>
>>64162644
That's a free return tragectory between a planet and a moon in the same sphere of influence not between two planets ffs
>>
who gives a shit, the movie was bland as fuck.
5/10
>>
>>64162758
Just imagine it's around another planet.
>>
>>64162906
"That's not how the rockets works" ~ Han Solo
>>
>>64163009
Ok then you draw a diagram of what you think happened.
>>
has nobody noticed that he fucking poked a hole in his space suit and casualy stood in space cracking jokes and stuff?

Further, does this film feel like gravity 2.0?
It sure does to me.
>>
>>64163063
Gravity had no story or scientific base
>ISS and MIR within flying distance
>invisible forces pulling people away from each other
s.m.h
h.y.e
a....a
k....d
i
n
g
>>
>>64163063
BUT IRON MAN
>>
>>64163199
>invisible forces pulling people away from each other
>spooky action at a distance

This has come up in science before...
>>
Man look at all these scientists in this thread showing off just how much better they can science that the average Joe, yall are so intelligent!!
>>
>>64163646
Literally only in the quantum realm tho fæm
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.