[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Leave Star Wars to me.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 12
File: rian johnson.jpg (147 KB, 670x377) Image search: [Google]
rian johnson.jpg
147 KB, 670x377
Leave Star Wars to me.
>>
why would they hire a no name guy like that to write and direct star wars 8. makes no sense desu
>>
File: 1425601695504.gif (476 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1425601695504.gif
476 KB, 500x281
>>64152110
Dude made Looper and directed the best episodes of breaking bad, I have way more faith in him than JJ desu senpai
>>
>>64152110

Disney is directing all of the numbered Star Wars flicks, they just need some dude on the set pointing the camera

Loopers is one of the shittiest movies ever made and Vince Something directed Breaking Bad
>>
>>64152110
yeah JJ's movies were MI3, then star trek, super 8, star trek 2 and star wars

guy was literally just given both STAR TREK and STAR WARS like it was nothing
>>
>>64152110
He should've done TFA as well
JJ is a hack
>>
>>64152257
Star Trek WAS nothing when he got it
>>
>>64152177

This to be honest my family members

Rian is much more capable of making a memorable film than JJ
>>
>>64152242
Vince Gilligan created breaking bad but only directed a handful of episodes, Rian directed the fly and ozymandias among others.
>>
>>64152242
>Loopers is one of the shittiest movies ever made
If you seriously think an ambitious but flawed sci-fi movie is one of the worst movies ever made then you haven't seen a ton of movies.
>Vince Something directed Breaking Bad
Vince didn't direct every episode. There were a ton of directors on BB.
>>
>>64152242
Looper is better than Star Trek (2009), Star Trek Into Darkness and Super 8. Rian will be much better J. J.
>>
>>64152420
it's also better than TFA
Rian will have to UNJUST everything from TFA to save the trilogy
>>
>>64152420
>Looper is better than Star Trek (2009)
I don't agree, but even if it was that doesn't make Rian a better fit for Star Wars. Star Wars is about the characters and sense of adventure, and I didn't feel Rian handled either anywhere near as well as JJ did in Star Trek.
>>
>>64152467
you do realize that JJ, even when copying ANH, made a movie that looked nothing like star wars
>>
>>64152488
It doesn't need to look like a 40-years-old movie to be a good fit to the franchise. It was a simple adventure story in space with good characters, which makes it a good addition to the series.
>>
Daily reminder that whatever good Rian does will be undone when Colin Trevorrow memes all over Episode IX to obtain the Reddit audience
>>
>>64152529
>It doesn't have to look like a 40-years-old movie

No, but it has to look like Star Wars.
>>
>>64152529
how is rey a good character exactly
more importantly, it's hard for it to be an adventure when you don't even get to know anything about the worlds they go through (which of course has a screwed up pace)
>>
>>64152584
>how is rey a good character exactly
She's likable because she has a strong sense of justice, is committed, and she shows some vulnerability(while still on Jakku anyway), she's also independent and takes care of herself which is cool to see in a franchise like this which is usually flooded with child-like characters that need their shoes tied by older authority figures. She's still very mysterious, we'll learn more about her past in the next movie.
>>
>>64152093
Rian directed Brick, which is one of the best High School movies I've seen in a while. That's enough for me to get behind him ( at least more than JJ)
>>
>>64152652
how is she mysterious? We are already told she spent all her life on that jakku
she is practically the most boring character there
>>
>>64152694
>We are already told she spent all her life on that jakku
She absolutely hasn't. I agree she's the worst character but that's because the other characters are better, not because she's complete shit. Watch Jurassic World and Age of Ultron. Every single character in those movies is worse than Rey.
>>
>>64152694
Who left her there?
>>
>>64152760
her family, as stated
>>
>>64152694
Hey, maybe you know, you don't know everything about her yet? because you know, it's the first movie in a trilogy and you know, there will be two other movies that might you know, explain and add to what happened in the first one
>>
>>64152727

The raptor from Jurassic world is more of a multi-dimensional character than Rey.
>>
>>64152562
this. it needs to be on film, on a camera like the one used in the OT, and it needs to be ALL practical (aside from lightsabers, etc). JJ still overused the CG, and rey was an awful mary sue, which, combined with the look of the movie the rip-off of the new hope story structure was this movie's downfall.

it was ok the first time she was like "why you grabbing my hand?" but they overdid it like everything else, she learned how to mind control out of nowhere, said "The Force" and just won against kylo, had a memory thing when she was near anakin's lightsaber, it was all complete nonsense.
>inb4 everyone else is a mary sue
Anakin was the chosen one and he still had a lot of bad traits and failed to accomplish everything he tried.
Luke was his son and was initially weak but lucky enough to destroy the death star (which was a collective effort)
Rey is just some bitch in the desert that gets involved in the story because of the droid. If it turns out she's Luke's daughter, it will make NO SENSE. She's a complete Mary Sue, none of the other characters are. no matter what, YOU DON'T have the weak protag beat the trained badass villain IN THE FIRST MOVIE. What's the audience supposed to wait for next? Her beating him again?
>>
File: 1407636868003.jpg (10 KB, 279x291) Image search: [Google]
1407636868003.jpg
10 KB, 279x291
>>64152768
Who's her family?
>>
>>64152779
>You'll have to buy the tickets to the next movie for our story to make sense and for our characters to not be shit

Thanks, Disney. I'll make sure to buy some t-shirts and coffee mugs too.
>>
>>64152660
>likes high school movies
>likes star wars

found the redditor
>>
>>64152816
Do you always just watch the first part of every series?
>>
>>64152813
who are the inhabitants of that ice planet? This is Disney's Star Wars, there are no world building or lore
you need to have your brain shut off to enjoy it m8
>>
>>64152795

she's prob going to get fucked up by Snoke in the next movie for the pottery effect
>>
>>64152828
Never seen Brick, have you?

I usually hate high school movies.
>>
>>64152813
Luke fucking Skywalker, woahh what a great mystery, if you haven't figured this out already you're fucking brain dead
>>
>>64152093
IX will be even worse than any of the prequels, I guarantee it.
>>
>>64152816
Disney also want you to buy the video games and novels for the movies to make sense :)
>>
File: rey_vs_kylo.webm (901 KB, 512x288) Image search: [Google]
rey_vs_kylo.webm
901 KB, 512x288
>>64152584
Poe=leia with hans solo flight skills and a bit of his cockiness
Finn=luke who flipside
Rey=hans solo with luke type of backstory
would have been better.Everytime Finn used the lightsaber it was better than rey and everytime she did jedi tricks it made her character worst.maybe at some point thats what they planned but changed it for whatever reason like Bay' shredder.
>>
>>64152853

Do you always excuses for bad films just because they are in a series?
>>
>>64152872
I only watch patrician arthouse cinema, I don't watch plebshit
>>
>>64152177
Great. A movie I've never even heard of and a shitty reddit-tier meme show.

What a legendary director. I see it's in good hands.
>>
>>64152881
proof?
>>
>>64152890
Finn is obviously Solo based solely on the banter.
>>
File: the room.jpg (72 KB, 360x480) Image search: [Google]
the room.jpg
72 KB, 360x480
>>64152886
>jurassic world was a massive piece of shit
>why don't we let him direct a mainline star wars movie?
He has to be some executive's son/brother/nephew. That's the only way.
>>
>>64152903
> A movie I've never even heard of

What are you, 15?
>>
>>64152890
>poe and finn met for 30 mins
>suddenly act like childhood best friends
this movie is all over the place
it needed to be about poe and finn, rey removed, with a focus on kylo and luke
>>
File: colin-trevorrow.jpg (14 KB, 375x281) Image search: [Google]
colin-trevorrow.jpg
14 KB, 375x281
>>64152926
>gets jurassic world after the travesty that was Safety Not Guaranteed
Literally the luckiest hack that has ever existed.
>>
>>64152903
>movie you've never heard of and a good show which is only hated because it's popular and you can't like popular things

discarded
>>
>>64152897
Brick is an ode to classic nior while also giving depth to our view of the modern teenager in the wake of brain-dead movies like American Pie. I recommend you watch a few old noir films (Touch of Evil, Lady for Shanghai, etc) if you're not familiar with nior. Then watch it, and I promise you'll enjoy it.
>>
>>64152925
Poe is obviously Han. They're both older, handsome, charismatic pilots.
>>
>>64152967
he has good sucking skills im sure
>>
>>64152992
Han wasn't gay though.
>>
>>64152967
Why does he look like Burnie Burns
>>
>>64152977
Hello reddit.
>>
>>64152984
HAHAAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA
>>
>>64153025
nice meme!
>>
File: finn_poe_gif_1450747840.webm (565 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
finn_poe_gif_1450747840.webm
565 KB, 480x270
>>64152966
i didnt had a problem with this,sure its quick but it felt natural between them.
>>
>>64152966
Life-and-death circumstances do that. They're brothers in arms.
>>
>>64152727
The problem with Rey is that her motivations are not explained. We don't know WHY she does everything she does, she simply does it.
>>
>>64153078
Have you literally never experienced friendship? It was far from natural and felt forced as fuck
>>
>>64153208
it wasn't just friendship.. read:
>>64153108
>>
>>64153208
>expecting realistic progression of friendship in just 2 hours runtime
>>
>>64152177
looper wasnt that good.
>>
>>64152093

He's very qualified to handle the gay storyline between Finn and Poe.
>>
>>64153316
it was actually quite shit
>>
>>64153276
I thought the original trilogy did a pretty square job at this. Luke and Han go through quite a lot of changes.

From their initial meeting and distrust of each other, they eventually are forced to work together to survive and ultimately succeed. This seems to make them more comfortable with each other, but Han's departure in ESB clearly shows it's far from the friendship Luke thinks exists. Of course, we know how that ends, with his eventual return. However, there is the added element of the sexual tension over Leia, which is not properly resolved until the end of ANH.

I feel the TFA should have been a bit more reserved in this friendship, but upon reading several stories on supposed cuts of the movies, it's existence is not surprising. If it is true that Poe was supposed to die in the TIE, then the seen where they are, perhaps, overly friendly with each other can be explained by rushed direction.

My personal belief is that Poe and Finn will go gay for each other.
>>
>>64153265
No they don't

holy fuck you people and your Poe worship

Life and death circumstances are fucking scary and threatening. You laugh and joke around AFTER, not during them. THAT'S what makes friendship, going through hard times and sticking together, you laugh about it afterwards

JJ needed to force the 'bromance' though since the OT had one so there you have your epic quips and one-liners which completely trivialize the little suspense their scene could've had. Between characters who interacted for no more than 10 minutes in the film. But they're best pals now, right? You wanted this, didn't you?

>>64153276
>what is ANH
the problem unlike Luke and Han, Poe didn't have enough screentime to even be a character and Finn was reduced to a comedy relief after a promising start

The only reason /tv/ eats this shitty writing up is because of 'muh white character muh based Isaac'. Fucking teenagers all of you
>>
>>64153469
Finn saved Poe from captivity where he would have been killed and Poe saved Finn by flying them out of there.. and both by working together they survived a daring escape.

When they met again both thought the other had died during the crash and the hug they did was more of a "I'm glad to see you made it" hug deals.
>>
>>64152093
>L O S E R
>>
>>64153316
I ended up disliking Looper in the theaters but it definitely had moments of brilliance.

Ep 8 seems to be a huge gamble to me, and we will see.
>>
>>64153681
People are mainly talking about their escape when they refer to the chemistry, seeing how that was pretty much the only scene where they actually interacted. And boy was it bad
>>
Racist memes aside, Finn is one of the best characters in the new movie next to Ren.

Poe is cool, but he was pretty much scientifically designed to be 'cool', he's barely a character.

Rey is flat despite all the screentime she got, but hey, she looks great next to Fisher's wooden performance.
>>
>>64152538
Rian is still writing episode IX tho, isn't he? There's still hope m8
>>
>>64154308
>Finn is one of the best characters in the new movie
He's a comedy relief. All of his potential was thrown out of the window

I guess people ranking him as the second best character really tells something about the movie
>>
ITT plebs who have never seen Brick
>>
>>64155897
Brick is GOAT
>>
>>64152110
Because they're doing what Marvel is doing
>>64155897
Brick is pleb shit you imdbcore /b/abby
>>
So pretty much guaranteed to be in episode 8 right?
>>
File: Looper_Noah_Segan.jpg (232 KB, 658x370) Image search: [Google]
Looper_Noah_Segan.jpg
232 KB, 658x370
>>64156192
yeah, probably.

Kid Blue is definitely going to be in it
>>
>>64155897
Brick's shit though.
>>
File: SW finn.gif (2 MB, 640x334) Image search: [Google]
SW finn.gif
2 MB, 640x334
>>64155723
Finn:
>cant deal with FO shit so escape with poe and they become bros
>feel bad thinking he caused Poe death
>get his ass kicked by Rey and BB-8
>lie to Rey because shes makes him feel like hes someone but gets friendzoned
>decide to bring BB8- to the resistance
>get told by hans that Rey is going to found out that hes liying
>try to stay away from the conflict and get told by Rey
>decide then to flip side and fight the FO
>Poe give him his jacket and tell him hes a good man
>goes to the FO base
>put his ex-boss in the garbage
>man up and fight kylo ren even tho he get his ass kicked
>Rey has more respect for him
he changed but he still has a long way to go.
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.