[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Now that star wars is dead, can we come up with another franchise
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 190
Thread images: 25
File: falconsaberbd.jpg (86 KB, 700x299) Image search: [Google]
falconsaberbd.jpg
86 KB, 700x299
A new space adventure that doesn't feel like marvel crap "movie"? Does that exist already? A space adventure?

Let's figure out what makes star wars so legendary and why does it have staying power.

To help ourselves, let's make an abstraction. For example, to form a concept of a chair means not thinking of details of specific chair (like color, weight, size), but only of what is required for chair to be a chair (like "an object made to be sat on").

Can we make an abstraction of star wars? What does a movie require to be a star wars movie (or more specifically; an original trilogy star wars movie)? What other franchise is closest to it? Can we think of another one on this thread?
>>
shameless self bump
>>
>What does a movie require to be a star wars movie?
non senile john williams.
>>
>>64146956
>implying a new big budget scifi film that isn't a safe, center-left, sloppily edited, committee-designed piece of trash will ever come out again
That time's done, OP. You have to let go.
>>
warhammer 40k movies
>>
>>64147021
>time's done, OP.

Nooo, it's not true.. That's impossible!
>>64147020
yeah, music is very important in a movie.
>>
>>64146956
It sure leaves the door wide open for whoever the fuck out there wants to capitalize on SW bloody fucking mess of a mistake. I would love nothing better than the birth of a new space adventure
>>
>>64146956
>star wars feel?

>move in space
>without niggers
>>
>>64147052
The thing about star wars is probably that story-wise it could be set in a lord of the rings environment and still be enjoyable. So I am thinking starwarsy music+ starwarsy story that deals with family and tragedy+ space and technology and shit = star wars movie.
>>
>>64147052
I doubt we'll ever get it. There's way too much money in movies so why ever take a risk when you don't have to?
>>
Barbarella

>the adventures of Barbarella, The Black Queen, and Pygar as they explore the unknown parts of the galaxie, unable and unwilling to go back to the way of life they knew before
>>
>>64146956
>Can we make an abstraction of star wars? What does a movie require to be a star wars movie (or more specifically; an original trilogy star wars movie)?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monomyth
>>
OP is a fag
>>
Reminder that if you actually hated Star Wars (not just disspointed or "meh") you really need to get a fucking life.
>>
Just go back and time and pick a new movie to attach your childhood nostalgia and unrealistic expectations to.
>>
>>64147177
No movie (Hollywood movie, I mean) is made using the mm anymore. They all use the BS2 formula. It's a dumb down, rigid version of the monomyth. Really, really dumb down.
>>
>>64147237
I did. I picked Willow. Great movie. Great book sequels trilogy.
>>
>>64147168
nah..
>>64147177
But star wars is more than that... It's like a lotr fantasy tale with space environment and scifi style.
>>64147196
>>64147202
>>64147237
thank you guys for bumping the thread
>>64147254
Yeah something is very different about typical modern hollywood movie. Maybe this is it.
>>
The Chronicles of Riddick?
>>
>>64147402
I haven't actually watched Riddick. It has to have a "magic" element in it. Like the force. Does Riddick have that? Cause if it doesn't then it doesn't really feel starwarsy to me..
>>
>>64147323
>But star wars is more than that... It's like a lotr fantasy tale with space environment and scifi style.

That's the best way you can abstract it.

I don't really see Star Wars as a science-fiction film. It's a fairytale film. It's not ABOUT spaceships or planets or robots, those are just cool things that are in it.

Hamill and some interviewer make good points about this here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byLUK7mdc00
>>
>>64147323
https://timstout.wordpress.com/story-structure/blake-snyders-beat-sheet/

Blake Snyder ruined Hollywood.
>>
>>64147524
>It's a fairytale film. It's not ABOUT spaceships or planets or robots, those are just cool things that are in it.
This. Thank you for that link, gonna watch now.
>>64147531
>https://timstout.wordpress.com/story-structure/blake-snyders-beat-sheet/
This basically describes almost every blockbuster in last two decades.
>>
Star Wars is about family, romance, government, good vs evil, and spirituality (the force). The space theme was only a new addition to a motif that is literally thousands of years old. Lots of other movies that tried to copy star wars only copied the superficial space gimmicks, so they were never as hefty or succesful.

Recipe for a new franchise: take age-old stories, apply them to engaging characters and put them into an innovative new setting, for example one that has just been made able to produce due to advances in filmmaking
>>
>>64148549
>put them into an innovative new setting, for example one that has just been made able to produce due to advances in filmmaking
any ideas?
>>
>>64148598
Not sharing, the book is almost done.
>>
>>64150193
What book? Your book?
>>
Yeah, it's still Marvel. But this was still the most silly fun I've had since Up.
>>
>>64150379
I didn't hate that movie.. but still.. I fucking hate most of this new marvel movies.
>>
>>64150475
these*
>>
>>64147481
can't remember the movie much, but it kinda have some mysterious force...nothing fancy
>>
File: 1450607298146.jpg (506 KB, 1000x784) Image search: [Google]
1450607298146.jpg
506 KB, 1000x784
The reason I've always liked Star Wars and really liked the EU was because Star Wars is a setting in which many different things can exist in one coherent setting.

The Force, the Jedi and Sith, bounty hunters, corporations, politics, frontier exploring, rough smugglers, huge fleets and armys, gangs, planets with nothing but sand or snow and planets that are huge cities. Star Wars has a lot of different stuff that all forms one big universe. The good thing is the planets are consistent through the eras and the Jedi and Sith and Republic and other factions are incredibly open to allow for a large amount of characters, concepts and ideas to flourish.

I guess what I'm trying to say is Star Wars has a lot of diverse elements that all come together to make a big setting that you can do a lot in. Lightsabers are iconic. Vader is iconic. Star Wars is a series of movies that are driven by the characters, while the universe around them is big enough to allow for many similar stories to be told from many, many points of view and across many walks of life. That's why I've always liked Star Wars.
>>
>>64150707
yeah I don't know, I don't think Riddick is a good alternative.
>>
John Carter was a far superior space opera to The Forced Remake
>>
>>64150809
yeah, it offers a lot of space for creativity. Sadly I don't think JewJew exploited that space.
>Lightsabers are iconic. Vader is iconic
I don't think it's lightsabers and vader alone that are iconic, rather combined with vader pointing his saber at luke making him afraid and then chopping off his hand.. that was iconic. emotion that accompanied that picture.
>>
File: 1447359674221.png (721 KB, 700x919) Image search: [Google]
1447359674221.png
721 KB, 700x919
A good idea would be to expand your space opera knowledge.

George was inspired to make ANH by Flash Gordon.

Watch as many old sci-fi serials and space opera films that never quite made it. Maybe read/watch Dune (George was gonna get Lynch to direct Return of the Jedi at some point), Forbidden and examine what the Star Wars prequels actually did right [i kinda think some elements of the prequels go unappreciated because most people today don't understand space opera as a genre]

The Fifth Element is definitely in the same tradition as Dune, Star Wars, Flash Gordon, etc.

And while some might shit on me for this, there are still plenty of anime space operas worth checking out.

BTW, does anyone know if there's a list of George's favorite movies somewhere?

>>64150809

I like you anon.

The EU definitely followed the space opera tradition well too in the way it filled in the gaps. If Star Wars is like the original soap opera, the EU are its dozens of spin offs, brought together with the core in both simple and convoluted fashions typical of such dramas.
>>
>>64150875
John Carter felt more like a Mummy movie desu.
>>
>>64150875
>John Carter
I don't think so.
>>
>>64150950
>anime space operas
Which ones? I was anime fan when I was 7-12, now I don't know anything about it. Except that japanese make awesome stories. Can you name some anime space operas for me?
>>
>>64150950
>If Star Wars is like the original soap opera, the EU are its dozens of spin offs, brought together with the core in both simple and convoluted fashions typical of such dramas.

Exactly. People can shit on the EU all they want for the awful things it brought to the setting, but there was plenty of good with that bad. The EU as a whole was able to connect the Legacy of the Force, Tales of the Jedi, KOTOR games, the tv shows AND the movies all into one setting that was (more or less) in line with itself. The EU was typically pretty good about staying within the parameters of the Star Wars setting while still feeling somewhat new. New droid models, vehicles, factions (aside from the Vong maybe), characters and planets never felt very far fetched when they came around.
>>
>>64150964
I think tragedy makes you more emotionally involved in star wars. I haven't felt that with john carter.
>>
>>64148549

Somebody take a greek myth and turn it into a space adventure.
>>
>>64151066
>The EU was typically pretty good about staying within the parameters of the Star Wars setting while still feeling somewhat new
I liked kotor 2 especially. Kreia was an awesome character. Although changing morals from good and bad into more "game-of-thronish" greyness might not be that starwarsy.
>>
>>64151132
Imagine Odysseus being a jedi, kek.
>>
File: Darth Traya.jpg (37 KB, 377x553) Image search: [Google]
Darth Traya.jpg
37 KB, 377x553
>>64151138
I hear people say that about KOTOR 2 a lot, but I never really got why people felt that way. In my opinion breaking away from the black and white mold to introduce a hundred shades of gray was immensely more entertaining. You keep the staple concepts around like the Force, the Republic and the Jedi/Sith but throw in more questions and more ambiguity. Maybe that's not what the movies or Lucas' base work did but why not deviate a bit? Somehow I feel like KOTOR 2 stayed Star Warsy while still being very morally gray, unlike the movies that even inspired it.
>>
File: OScrew.jpg (85 KB, 500x437) Image search: [Google]
OScrew.jpg
85 KB, 500x437
>>64151046

Crest/Banner of the Stars is considered a classic by many

So too are Legend of the Galactic Heroes and Space Captain Harlock

The original Mobile Suit Gundam had a very traditional space opera feel to it.

Outlaw Star is a space western that has some Star Wars vibes and melodrama to it.

Space Dandy was kinda popular for its retro-scifi look and its zany comedy.
>>
>>64151213

The funny thing is, Lucas' vision seemed to lean towards the idea that to be a little grey is most preferable, especially in how Qui Gon Jinn was portrayed both in Phantom Menace and the EU and The Clone Wars.

What made KOTOR 2 different is that it wasn't so much about grey, but had a lot to do with nihilism, post-war trauma and addressed the problem of Force Users' over reliance on manipulation of the Force is probably not all that good for the galaxy in a very profound way by having a character like Kreia who hates the Force and is trying to essentially commit what many would consider to be a form of deicide.
>>
>>64146956
Mass Effect
>>
>>64147021
>implying IV wasn't safe, center-left and sloppily edited
>>
>>64150976
I do.

Now what, fuckwit? Where do you go next after just knee jerking and petulantly saying the opposite of what I said?
>>
File: 1450329654469.jpg (104 KB, 875x490) Image search: [Google]
1450329654469.jpg
104 KB, 875x490
>>64151066

The think even a lot of the bad is not really bad bad, but more bad in that hoakey kinda way that I think still fits the nature of the series and the nature of its genre. Like when I see some anons post things from the EU to mock it for being ridiculous, but I have to wonder what movies they think they were watching. I feel like at some point a significant group of the fanbase forgot what it was they were watching/reading and these people were probably those who hounded the shit out of George until he pretty much lost the will to live.
>>
>>64146956
>Let's figure out what makes star wars so legendary and why does it have staying power.
humor and immersiveness of the originals. seriously expanded lore and big deal galactic plots taking themselves seriously are all things of EU and the prequels.

the original trilogy is basic as fuck with the few cool features presented in a way that make imagination run wild. unfortunately TFA failed to present them in such a way. planet jakku and current characters are so whatever-tier that i can't think of somebody spending their time putting their imagination to work to think of jakku as anything more but whats in the movie. or going as far as imagining adventures of finn or poe like they did with han solo or leia. still, compared to most flicks nowadays, characters are even good
>>
Adapt the Star Control II game.
It's amazing.
>>
>>64146956
Game of Thrones with fighter pilots, laser swords and telekinesis

Goys will eat it up! :^)
>>
What has happened to people?
Why has it become necessary to feel "devastated" above all else when watching anything from comedy to drama?
What has made people so emotionally stunted that they can only watch basic emotional tricks that were clichés of Victorian melodrama?
>>
>>64147039
I don't think they' d attract the broad sort of audience that SW had, the aesthetic is very niche especially in 2015. They'd probably have the Mary Sue marines who allied with the Tau and Elves to fight the bad guy factions and let strong independent women be space marines.

Anyways, what made SW good

1. Monomythic story, stayed VERY true to classical archetypes that have been with Western civilization for over 2,500 years.

2. Incredible score, the music was orchestral in an era of increasingly electronic music. LOTR learned this lesson very well, music can make a decent movie amazing.

3. Simple good vs evil paradigm, easy to understand for everyone and presents an appealing, simplistic world that is in sharp contrast with our complex one.

4. Feel of the universe, it was the first sci-fi world that felt lived in. Most science fiction before SW presented a gleaming, surreal, sometimes psychedelic future. Lucas guided the artistic direction on all of the miniatures towards a 'nuts and bolts' style that made the world feel so much more real.

5. Well written characters played by actors that weren't big names and had good synergy. Of course SW lost this in the prequels.
>>
>>64151394
You're a fucking idiot

1. Sci-fi was one of the least safe genres in the 70s', virtually nothing had made a profit since 2001
2. I've seen arguments that the morality of star wars paved the way for Ronald Reagan's election
3. Won awards for its editing, even Lucas admits the film was saved in post production
>>
Monsters and Fantasy but not Tolkien-esque

Everything is used and refurbished

Lot of mystery, throwing people into something they dont understand
>>
File: mst3k_manhunt in space.png (507 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
mst3k_manhunt in space.png
507 KB, 1024x768
>>64151543

I think the prequels and much of the EU did preserve some that humor and immersiveness. And I don't think the either took themselves that seriously.

Elements I think probably define space opera include maybe a mixture of tragedy (sometimes, though not necessarily, treading into the territory of what is normally called gothic storytelling or dark romanticism), gag-me-with-a-spoon romance, political intrigues which are sometimes loaded with made up jargon that just sounds vaguely political sounding, the presence of super or preternatural elements that can often border on the ridiculous in that the science appears or maybe even is a little more like magic where conventional science is replaced by convenient science or whatever just gives the look of something "spacey", plot twists that seem to come out of nowhere in order to create shock and suspense (*gasp* Ensign Sprocket was a traitor all along? I didn't see that coming!) but which may require lengthy and excessive exposition where even though a lot may be shown, a lot more is probably being told, and the acting feels overly dramatic and cheesy where you almost feel like you're watching weekly dinner theater in some dive and the moral lessons of the story can be on the nose

This is why I think the prequels' more positive elements are often obscured from view, because the prequels are not always held up to the standards of the sci-fi like Flash Gordon or Forbidden Planet or Rocky Jones, Space Ranger. And of course I think the originals are sometimes thrown up on a pedestal where people forget what they are.

Even in the EU at some of its most mature, there's a lot of stuff that can only be explained by that typical space opera or space adventure logic, or stomached if one has no problem absorbing spanish novella-tier drama. Even the Yuuzhan Vong were huge drama kings/queens.
>>
>>64146956
>Now that star wars is dead
Well meme'd.
>>
>>64151787
>Everything is used and refurbished

This of course shouldn't be used as an excuse for no originality.

I thinkthe PT movies are better than most sci-fi flicks, despite their corniness and "refurbishing", because they still have a lot of creativity.
>>
>>64146956
Star Trek 2009
Star Trek Into Darkness

both more Star Wars-like than the shitty TFA
>>
>>64146956
> Special Edition lightsaber, practice ball and the frame's color palette
GTFO
>>
>>64150379
that movie was the usual marvel crap
why some people loved it? i dunno
i hated that wood walking character btw. well, i hated all of them.
>>
>>64146956
I feel that Stargate could be revived, and done better than the original. It was just as good, if not better, than Star Trek.
>>
>>64155109
that's already happening, and much like JJ Abrams reboot of Star Trek, the new movies will take a giant shit on the tv-shows and basically ignore them.

http://www.themarysue.com/stargate-reboot-will-have-to-start-over/
>>
>>64146956
Just watch anime or read manga. It has tones of shit better than Star Wars. Start with 0079, take a look on LOGH, watch Wings of Honneamise, read Planetes.

>All other good Gundams (Zeta, Turn A, G, many old OVAs, new shit like Unicorn, Origin…)
>Cowboy Plebop
>Early Macross
>Gunbuster
>Kaiba

Flawed shit, but still decent enough to enjoy
>Outlaw Star
>Crest of the Stars
>Sidonia S1
>Diebuster
>Mugen no Ryvius
>Starship Operators

Old Stuff
>Galaxy Express 999 (the first movie)
>Space Battleship Yamato (normies can start with the new 2199)
>Captain Harlock
>Space Cobra
>Space Runaway Ideon
>The Five Star Stories (OVA)
>Musekinin Kanchou Tylor
>Votoms
>11-nin Iru!
>Dirty Pair
>>
>>64146956
>>64146982
writing one now bruv, and by writing i mean i've written an incredibly filthy version and i'm thinking of how to make it less filthy so that kids could enjoy it without shitting themselves.
>>
one of the greatest things about the original trilogy was the mystery and majesty of The Force. It was this ethereal power that you couldn't quite pin down. That's why in the 3rd movie you were shitting your pants when the Emperor was using lightning, which you didn't know was possible.

World-building was also much better. You felt like you really were in a dusty old backwater called Tatooine. You really felt like you were in a gas colony in the clouds.

It also had the feel of one of those epic films from the 40s and 50s. It was long, sometimes almost boring, but it transported you to a different world.

there's lots of these subtle things that apparently film executives or hack directors like JJ abrahms just dont understand
>>
>>64152810
You felt the need to defend your precious franchise from an offhand comment?
Do you know how I know you're from Reddit?
>>
>>64156404
>World-building was also much better.

No, it really wasn't, actually.
>>
>>64146956

Foundation? Dune? Legend of the Galactic Heroes?
>>
bumping for OP cause he's a cool guy
>>
>>64146956
You should check out the Valerian franchise

It's gonna be Luc Besson's new movie

The cartoon is ok. The comic is great, but has an outdated drawing style
>>
>>64157605
The world building was top notch, in fact it was pretty consistently great until JJs fanfiction movie
>>
>>64159422

I'm saying I think the PT beat the OT in the worldbuilding department in terms of scale and just making the Galaxy feel more diverse and alive, never minding of course some of what the special editions tried to do to remedy this before the prequels came out.
>>
>>64146956
I think the light sabers are half of it tbqh
>>
Could've been ASOIAF imo, even though it's not in space
>>
>>64150379
better than all star wars
>>
>>64146956
>muh marvel
Are you forgetting the constant jokes in Empire?
>>
>>64150950
we need Newt Gingrich on the case
>>
>>64160025
go read some Spiderman comics
>>
>>64147020

I think the bigger problem is that although it was composed by Williams, it was conducted by William Ross and played by a freelance orchestra instead of the London Symphony Orchestra.

That's probably why it sounds wrong.
>>
>>64147254

BS2? What does that stand for?
>>
>>64151213
>I hear people say that about KOTOR 2 a lot, but I never really got why people felt that way
I don't know, I guess it's because kotor 1 villain was a MUAHAH I'M ABSOLUTELY EVIL, while kreia was more humane. I liked kotor 2 more when it comes to story, dialog and maturity.
>>64151242
Thank you, will definitely check it out.
>>64151350
Basically, when talking to kreia it felt like I was talking to nietzsche or something. "Lest you do more with a clenched fist than an open hand." In fact whole sith philosophy was, I believe, secretly inspired by nietzsche.
>>64151369
If only instead of shoving in gays and minorities they created more species. It was a good game nonetheless.
>>64151394
Ben had that "western new age buddhism" vibe. But I wouldn't cal that center-left.
>>64151498
I explained more in another comment.
>>64151522
I have a similar view.
>>64151543
Yes, originals have a distinct feel to every other star wars creation.
>>64151563
Game of thrones is too "real" or "mature" to feel like star wars. So I don't think goys would eat it up. I mean.. ugh.. I take that back considering all the positive reviews TFA is getting.
>>64151787
>Lot of mystery, throwing people into something they dont understand
this.
>>64154365
Not really. The element of magic/supernatural is missing for me to feel like star wars.
>>64155399
Will check out.
>>64156049
Could you just describe it a bit?
>>64156404
>one of the greatest things about the original trilogy was the mystery and majesty of The Force.
Yes, that is what makes it "starwarsy".
>>64157647
Thank you, will check it out.
>>64158578
Goooooooooood...
>>64158936
Thanks, will do.
>>64159858
Yeah well.. I guess you could change that with some other "elegant weapon for a more civilized age." I just don't know what..
>>64159930
Would watch a sci-fi version of ASOIAF. Wouldn't say it'd be starwarsy though.
>>64159965
No.
>>64160025
what the fuck are you talking about? c3po?
>>64160313
There was no iconic track in TFA. Sadly.
>>
>>64160371
https://timstout.wordpress.com/story-structure/blake-snyders-beat-sheet/

Save the cat.
>>
>>64146956
"SW is dead"
>Just made 1 bil at box office

It isn't going away anytime soon.
>>
>>64155109
>>64155255
Came to say this. SG1 was perfection. No fucks are given for the reboot by the man that hates the whole series though... it will be worse than even TFA or into darkness
>>
>>64160472
simply because it has star wars in the title doesn't mean it's star wars.
>>
File: 1448326782253.gif (2 MB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1448326782253.gif
2 MB, 500x500
>>64160453
>from the writer of Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot and Blank Check
>>
>>64146956
>What other franchise is closest to it?
Seriously Foundation
not so seriously Flash Gordon also Lucas want to direct it originally

we are getting Foundation in TV series format anyway
>>
>>64160391
think sorcery in space. with vampires and stuff.
>>
>>64160612
It's basically every movie today.
>>64160621
Thank you and everyone that posts these titles.
>>64160987
>think sorcery in space
yes.
>with vampires and stuff
nah..
>>
>>64147254
>It's a dumb down, rigid version of the monomyth. Really, really dumb down.

That's a stupid thing to say, considering the whole point of the "monomyth" is to be as dumbed down as humanly possible
>>
This thread is dumb.

Even if you didn't like TFA, you have to admit the one thing it got right was to *FEEL* like Star Wars in a way the prequels didn't.
>>
>>64161597
>Even if you didn't like TFA, you have to admit the one thing it got right was to *FEEL* like Star Wars in a way the prequels didn't.
please be bait
>>
>>64161597
It was a literal copy + sjw crap. When rey was opening that chest, I was expecting a fucking davy jones' heart in it. Cgi environment during lightsaber battle looked like I was watching last airbander. The only starwarsy thing in this movie was what was copied from before.
>>
>>64161106
the vampires makes perfectt sense.
>>
>>64160391
>doesn't remember the constant jokes in empire
Go watch them again. Every main character has quips and shit you'd call joss whedon dialogue today.
>>
>Let's
hello reddit!!
>>
File: hungarianborder.png (488 KB, 406x471) Image search: [Google]
hungarianborder.png
488 KB, 406x471
>TFA feels like star wars

what millennials say who have never seen a legit star wars movie in the theaters
>>
>>64161106
here's why, they don't breathe, and they're equally as magical as a sorcerer is, maybe even more so. they can turn into vermin, they can become mist, and so as long as they have dirt from their homes, they can always recharge and regenerate from any injury.

vampires blood don't boil and they can become vermin when necessary.
>>
>>64161903
That's objectively wrong. None of the jokes break the mood, unlike "Joss Whedon dialogue".
>>
File: amidala3.jpg (44 KB, 620x413) Image search: [Google]
amidala3.jpg
44 KB, 620x413
>>64161839
well, there was a dracula in the prequels, I'll give you that.
>>
>>64161597
no just no
>>
>>64161976
bram stoker's dracula is my most favorite version, ever.
>>
>>64161976

Now that you mention it, this is probably Lucas' design department paying tribute to George's BFF Francis Ford Coppola.
>>
>>64161597

You fail to see what feeling like Star Wars is.

Just because this thing has (painted) X-Wings and TIE Fighters, Han Solo, etc. it doesn't make it feel like the OT any more than the PT.

For example, the OT had a clear rule: regular enemies are stupid and die in funny ways (just like they do in westerns) while main villains are fearsome. In the OT stormtroopers are all dumb. Same shit happens in the PT with droids.

Then, in this TFA thing this rule is inverted: Stormtroopers are badass and the main villain is meme'd with his tantrums and jokes.

The pace of the film doesn't feel any Star Wars neither.

So happens with the new aesthetics of these painted fighters and helmets, or the new time stopping force power: they feel way more Marvel than Star Wars.

And so on.
>>
>>64162356

Not to mention that one of the defining qualities of SW movies is that the directing favors wider shots so the scenery/location can basically become a character. Longer takes also allow people to soak in the environment.

In JJ's Trek shots are brief, usually closeups and there's basically no time for the location to breathe since we're already moving onto the next one.
>>
>>64162469
YES, this is one of my problems too. it felt so closed, so quick, so brief. so unfulfilled. in the prequels everything was wide and purposeful.
>>
>>64150245
Of fucking course.
The problem is, my endless struggle if feeling it's not ready yet keeps me refining...
>>
>>64162469

Yep, I agree.
>>
>>64161597
Prequels felt like Star Wars more than the original trilogy. It was a shitty space opera worthy of the title and not some space fantasy story for kids with space backdrop.
>>
>>64161903
Even if dialogue would have been bad, story would still be an enjoyable one. Empire was awesome.
>>64161927
hello /tv.
>>64162278
>design department paying tribute to George's BFF Francis Ford Coppola
Didn't know that, please explain further.
>>64162356
>>64162469
this. One of my major problems was that emotions that you are supposed to feel changed to quickly. If you could feel anything at all in that movie. The only thing I felt was anger when han died, anger because the scene wasn't good enough. Order 66 scene moved me more even though it was characters I know nothing about that died. Because I was allowed to focus on that.
>>64162602
Give us a summary, don't be shy!
>>

Why are you guys so against it?

Like, I can understand if you didn't like it. That's fine. You can have your opinions.

But you guys are like, obsessed with making sure this movie fails on any level.
Why? What do you get out of it?
It's okay to not like a movie, but this is borderline zealotism. And for what?
>>
>>64162806
Because it was hyped like jesus christ's second coming but all we got was a red cross.
>>
>>64161965
Are you saying that none of the joss whedon dialogue in the marvel movies ever works and it all always ruins the mood? That's "objectively" wrong faggot.

But let's take a look at a threw times people quip in Empire.
>luke and han face life threatening cold
>a tauntaun dies from the elements
>and I thought they smelled back on the outside!

>han and leia are fighting while visiting luke
>leia reaming han
>leia insults his personality
>who's scruffy looking?

Then yes, the obvious C-3PO stuff.
It's not even just Empire. Is "Boring conversation anyway," not a quip? Pretty much all of blind-Han's lines to Luke on Tatooine in Jedi are quips. Are you drawing this line were Finn's panic or Poe's "who talks first" bit are somehow dramatically different than C-3PO and Han's antics respectively?
>>
File: 464.jpg (110 KB, 950x534) Image search: [Google]
464.jpg
110 KB, 950x534
Warhammer 40k-- kinda like a cross between star wars and GoT
>>
>>64162911
It was basically a giant double-cross.
>>
>>64162806
because it has become iconic for all the wrong reasons. jar jar, marshal and the rat has turned it into some type of special interest welcoming mat giving them undiscovered grounds into controlling star wars like they've cancerously infected everything else.
>>
>>64162941
>kinda like a cross between star wars and GoT that a 9 year old wrote
ftfy
>>
File: McQuarrie-XWing.jpg (502 KB, 2000x1502) Image search: [Google]
McQuarrie-XWing.jpg
502 KB, 2000x1502
>>64162356
You know that not all X-Wings had the red/grey color scheme right? They were called Red Squadron for a reason, just like Poe leads Black Squadron.

They inverted the colors of the TIE, they inverted the colors of the light grey x-wing to black. Choosing orange hearkens back to ralph mcquarrie's original color scheme. It's not like all the x-wing are the same color as poe's either. They have the original color scheme from the OT with blue replacing the red too.
>>
>>64162803
>Even if dialogue would have been bad, story would still be an enjoyable one. Empire was awesome.
It's only okay when OT does it amirite?
>>
I've been thinking about a moebius inspired desert western on a distant planet.

The planet was once part of a big galactic empire, which collapsed millenia ago. At this point in time the planet has been completely isolated from the rest of humanity for so long, that no one even remembers the empire. Thanks to a geomagnetic reversal a few centures ago the planet was exposed to cosmic radiation for a long time until the magnetic poles stabilized. The event caused most life on that planet to die or mutate and it fried all technology, creating a post-apocalyptic, barren desert world.

Three big factions arose from the ashes: xenophobic mutants, xenophobic humans and a peaceful human-mutant alliance. The alliance has a mutant mastermind on their side, who is slowly rediscovering technology with the help of scavengers, who retrieve relics from the past. He is part of the first generation of mutants, very old and works hard to secure a future for humanity. He is the only one, who has learned about the imperial past of the planet. The alliance is outnumbered but thanks to their technological advantage they're managing to survive and even thrive through trade. The other two factions are constantly fighting for territory but small sub-factions are secretly working together to ultimately destroy the alliance and take advantage of their mastermind.

Pic kind of related.
>>
Jar Jar was actually funny, unlike Finn.
>>
>>64146956
I vote for spaceballs
>>
>>64162931
None of that breaks the mood of the movie.
Joss flicks are always tonally confused clusterfucks.

For example, when Han says the "smells bad" line, he has to catch is breath and is visibly disgusted by the smell, plus his character us supposed to be witty.
In a Joss movie, every character would be that witty. if Joss wrote the above scene, Han would just say the line without catching his breath, and the camera would show him smirking while he said it, tone be damned.

>>64163143
>missing the obvious point

>>64163194
But he said that the OT doesn't do that.
>>
>>64150379
this.
>>
>>64162803
>Didn't know that, please explain further.

When you called Padme a vampire, I thought Dracula in Coppolla's movie and realized that Padme does vaguely resemble him when Keanu Reeve's character first meets him. George is good friends with FF Coppola and his daughter even played one of the handmaidens.

Maybe I'm just reading too much, but Lucas definitely likes to throw in references that go under the radar.
>>
>>64162806

Because Disney & JJ fucked up what could have been great

Because we like stating our opinion about stuff on a chinese cartoon site just like you do
>>
>>64154365
>Star Trek 2009
>Star Trek Into Darkness
exactly the same failures like TFA
>>
>>64160621
I can't see Foundation turned into light funny space opera.
>>
>>64147109
Because not risking is exactly what's making most movies fail.
>>
>>64162803
>Give us a summary, don't be shy!
I'll share the basic concept of what I've spent 10 years building (though much less writing, was busy writing all manner of other things)

A sci-fi setting were I can't break science with science. I push the limits of hard science, but don't make anything up that's not possible.
A universe that has the standard fare, galactic empires, strange aliens and technology. No focus on humanoid aliens, Different kinds of shapes and forms.
Space and planetary battles, boarding actions and zero star fighters, only drones. Smallest manned craft tend to be frigate size.
And much more.

However what makes it truly different:
Another element, one I don't and can't explain to the mix, is the driving force between the galactic unification and subsequent schism in their ranks. The main story is currently about them and the fight between their two sides..

I'm over 100k words and still editing.
I let it write itself while using a very rough outline. Somehow it ended up being quite interesting.

I really don't want to share much more, that alone is more than I wanted to speak of.

Best I can do is tell you what the books pen name will be: Nonafel
>>
>>64162762

The OT definitely has the space opera feel, even more so with some of the additions by the special editions which help make the Galaxy feel a little bigger like that which we see in the prequels.

But the opportunity the PT and CGI gave George much more freedom to go all out. So the PT feels a lot less reserved in comparison.
>>
>>64146956
For you.
>>
>>64147021
>>implying a new big budget scifi film that isn't a safe, center-left
It's hilarious how simple your cognitive functions are. You're like a slug or a sea urchin.
>>
any of the cam releases actually good?
>>
>>64146956

just watch all of Kurosawa's films and call it a day. He's extremely accessible and a huge inspiration for Lucas. Tons of swords and shit, sorry there's no lasers.

Lucas' visual style is incredibly unique (rather, the elements of his style are derivative perhaps, but how they come together as one is exceptionally new for a major flick) and you're just not going to find much like it in any accessible, fun film. Lucas wasn't much of a thinker but he was certainly an artist.
>>
>>64162356
>le stormtroopers are a joke meme
Only on Endor, every other time they are legitimate threats. What kool-aid are you drinking?

How does different aesthetics suddenly make it marvel? You're trying so fucking hard to push this but you aren't articulating shit.

Oh wait using telekinesis to freeze something is now just so unbelievable for the force it's marvel. You're reaching.

Do you really like the OT or are you just one of those fuckers that worships it as infallible?
>>
>>64163766
Are you me? Or am I you?
>>
>>64146956

A lot of the star wars movies had a lot of memorable music, even the prequals, and the same goes for the sound effects implented.

Star wars a new hope had the john william's main theme and empire the imperial theme, hell in phantom menance what sound does a fucking pod racer make? You remember, right?

The Force Awakens has nothing of the sort, no actual memorable theme besides the original score or sounds.

That's just my gripe, it's still a decent movie.
>>
File: Battle-Beyond-the-Stars-5.jpg (177 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Battle-Beyond-the-Stars-5.jpg
177 KB, 1366x768
>>64163711
>just watch all of Kurosawa's films and call it a day. He's extremely accessible and a huge inspiration for Lucas. Tons of swords and shit, sorry there's no lasers.

Oh but you CAN have Kurosawa in space!! (Well, you can have his story.)
>>
YOJIMBO IN SPACE
BOUNTY HUNTER/ROGUE DEALS WITH CRIME SYNDICATES
the hunter is a woman
MAKE IT HAPPEN
>>
space movie with magic in it
>>
>>64163766

>every other time they are legitimate threats

Lol have you seen ANH? How many shoots they fail? How funny they die?

>How does different aesthetics suddenly make it marvel?

It's not the point that they're different. It's just that they look Ironman-like
>>
>>64162941
40k is basically star wars if the empire were the good guys, it wouldn't have much mainstream appeal.
>>
Seriously though, for me the Star Wars feel comes from one thing: Ralph MacQuarrie's awesome design talent and style.

You'll eventually run out of unused MacQuarrie concepts and unless you get him back from retirement or find a replacement artist who has the same talent and thinks exactly like him you're not going to make a new Star Wars film that feels like a new Star Wars film instead of recycled crap.

Everything else about the OT, while a lot of it may have been cool was expendable imo
>>
File: battle beyond the stars.jpg (24 KB, 300x295) Image search: [Google]
battle beyond the stars.jpg
24 KB, 300x295
>>64163991
Well shit, that's the wrong pic. Anyway, the movie is Battle Beyond the Stars - It's Seven Samurai in space.
>>
>>64161597

It "feels" like Star Wars the 70s-80s pop culture phenomenon, but it feels nothing like Star Wars the movies.

I have a theory that there is a terrifyingly large subset of Star Wars fans who are only in it for the injokes and the pop culture stuff, who only really like the movies sort of ironically.

To this sort of fan, The Force Awakens is undoubtedly exactly what they would want.

Whereas something new, original, or sincerely space opera like what the prequels were trying to be would be met with "wtf is this shit".
>>
>>64164529
I think this is exactly why George is so sad
>>
File: jupiter ascending.jpg (320 KB, 1920x1024) Image search: [Google]
jupiter ascending.jpg
320 KB, 1920x1024
>>64146956
>A new space adventure that doesn't feel like marvel crap "movie"? Does that exist already? A space adventure?

This was made last year, and it was shit.

The problem with making good sci-fi is so many aspects have to align right. Jupiter Ascending had absolutely incredible visuals and a wonderfully built world (except for the whole "turn people into fuel" fetish the Wachowskis have). But they populated the world with shit characters and flat actors. They gave us a silly story that wouldn't resonate with anyone. And I personally think it sucks that such a beautiful aesthetic of future and victorian design probably won't come up again since this turd's flop.
>>
>>64164279
Cameron wanted to do a remake of that, which is funny since he worked on that movie.
>>
>>64164108
They enough of a threat that Han runs away from them.

>It's just that they look Ironman-like
Oh so you're retarded.
>>
>>64164900
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raF9wfPxir8
>>
>>64163395
LOL not even

not nearly as badly made. Better actors, better music, better cinematography, better editing, NO QUIPS, better scripts
>>
File: 1446349384254.jpg (411 KB, 2124x1317) Image search: [Google]
1446349384254.jpg
411 KB, 2124x1317
I think we just need a mature space opera for once. One that takes itself seriously.

That said, can anyone recommend me any old movies, books, TV shows in this nature? I know of the dune book series, but I haven't read those yet.
>>
The difference between IV:ANH and VII:TFA is the difference between a good symphony and a good rock song, or the difference between a good RPG and a good Action game. The former is slower paced and richer in details and development. The latter sacrifices this for constant bursts of excitement.
It really comes down to the tastes of the day. Movies back in the day of IV were slower. I think episode IV also has a WAY better sense of visual spectacle and awe; maybe that's because of the modern fetish for dizzy CGI shitfests rather than setting a nice scene.
>>
>>64165468

Such a movie would flop no matter how good it is. Everyone wants to be ironic and postmodern now, so they can feel smart and superior. Sincerity doesn't sell.
>>
>>64165609

I hate this, but it's true. Ironic, self-referential humor all the way these days.
>>
>>64165468
>I think we just need a mature space opera for once. One that takes itself seriously.

The PT takes itself seriously, but at the end of the day it's a still a soap opera in SPAAAAAACE

Forbidden Planet is a fun and fairly intelligent watch though.

Real space opera by nature is a cheesy pulp genre though with all sorts of cathartic moments and unabashed romanticism which can beat you over the head with its morality, even in some of its most serious forms

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_opera

"Space opera is a subgenre of science fiction that emphasizes space warfare and melodramatic adventure. The term has no relation to music but is instead a play on the term "horse opera", which was coined during the heyday of silent movies to indicate clichéd and formulaic western movies. Space operas emerged in the 1930s and they continue to be produced in literature, film, comics and video games.Notable space opera novels include the Foundation series (1942–99) by Isaac Asimov et al. and the Ender's Game series (1985–present) by Orson Scott Card. An early notable space opera film was Flash Gordon (1936–present) created by Alex Raymond. In the late 1970s, the Star Wars franchise (1977–present) created by George Lucas brought a great deal of attention to the genre."

I don't know if I'd consider stuff like Mass Effect or Warhammer 40k genuine space opera.
>>
>>64165474
This was perfect until you went "but what's popular today is shit while what's popular in the past is perfect"
>>
>>64165468
Play Starcraft: Brood War.
>>
File: MoebiusJourney.jpg (602 KB, 960x736) Image search: [Google]
MoebiusJourney.jpg
602 KB, 960x736
>>64165753
I've always held THE IDEA of space opera highly in my mind. I just thought I haven't experienced the defining work of art that would confirm that.

Now this post is making me question it has ever been done.

I suppose there are things about the star wars universe that are nice. Especially during my childhood I could look through it's flaws. I could easily romanticize warfare for example.

Is this all there is to it then? Cheesy video game shit?
>>
>>64163621
Excellent comeback, m'nigger.
>>
File: 1445159197797.jpg (325 KB, 1024x1403) Image search: [Google]
1445159197797.jpg
325 KB, 1024x1403
Bring Lensman to the big screen.
>>
>>64167078
Too bad plebs will think it's a ripoff of Green Lantern.
>>
>>64151563
I would watch Star Wars with copious amounts of tits and rape, I must admit
>>
>>64166116
Have you read Saga? You might like it
It's comic space opera for adults. And it's pretty anti-war.
>>
>>64165753

Mass Effect 1 is DEFINITELY space opera, but the sequels feel more like CoD in space.

40k Horus Heresy novels definitely qualify, at least the Horus Rising - False Gods - Galaxy in Flames trilogy. I don't know about the others. Caiaphas Cain feels too self-aware to count.
>>
>>64146956
Gibson Cinematic Universe. The man without a face uses his knowledge to develop a time portal and brings together Jaguar Paw, Jesus of Nazareth, and William Wallace to battle the Allies in WWII.
>>
>>64165753
what about legend of galactic heroes?
>>
>>64146956
They are developing Hyperion as a mini series. No release date though. That has an element of magic to it (the Shrike) space ships and adventure.
>>
>>64169012
The Shrike isn't fucking magic you dumb drooling idiot.

I hate that retarded plebs like you even know about Hyperion.
>>
>>64146956
The true tragedy of Star Wars and the reason everyone clings to it is the sad fact that it is the only episodic big budget space fantasy film franchise we will ever get. Doubly so after John Carter flopped. And now that Disney has applied the MCU formula to it, we'll get a new one every year for the next 20 years. This is all we'll have until the film industry collapses and then there won't be any money to put into a new fresh franchise.
>>
>>64169272
Wasn't there talk about resurrecting Flash Gordon fairly recently? What happened to that?
>>
File: angryredplanet_04.jpg (32 KB, 450x335) Image search: [Google]
angryredplanet_04.jpg
32 KB, 450x335
>>64166116

>The term "space opera" was coined in 1941 by fan writer (and later author) Wilson Tucker, in a fanzine article,[1] as a pejorative term. At the time, serial radio dramas in the US had become popularly known as soap operas because many were sponsored by soap manufacturers. Tucker defined space opera as the SF equivalent: a "hacky, grinding, stinking, outworn, spaceship yarn".[2] Even earlier, the term horse opera had come into use as a term for western films. In fact, some fans and critics have noted that the plots of space operas have sometimes been taken from horse operas and simply translated into an outer space environment, as famously parodied on the back cover of the first issue of Galaxy Science Fiction. Still, during the late 20s and early 30s when the stories were printed in science fiction magazines, the stories were often referred to as "super-science epics".[3]

The Star Wars Saga & Expanded Universe
Dune
Mobile Suit Gundam
Forbidden Planet
The Angry Red Planet
Robinson Crusoe on Mars
Crest of the Stars
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Flash Gordon
Buck Rogers
Space Ghost
The Martian Chronicles
Starship Troopers
Battlestar Galactica
The Fifth Element
some of the early Star Treks

All these are usually what one might call "space opera" in the general sense even though they're very different kinds of stories with some very different messages but are usually characterized by less plausible science that relies on more fantastic or pseudo-scientific explanations for how it works and over the topness when it comes to getting whatever message it is they are trying to say across. All the above are some mixture of pro-military, anti-war, conservativism, romanticism, liberalism, libertarianism, pro-democracy, or even neo-traditional monarchism, sometimes all within the same series.
>>
>>64168510

You are in luck they are publishing a new version o f the manga in the west in 2016 and making a new OVA in the hopes of a remastering the old series.
>>
>>64169272

With a new Star Wars every year, this shit is gonna get old fast.

I also don't think Disney's decision regarding the EU will work out in its favor either.
>>
I don't really know what a Star Wars feel is exactly or how to describe it, but I felt it during TFA, in the ending as soon as R2D2 woke up.

It was the only part of the movie where I felt like I was actually watching Star Wars.
>>
>>64146956
>Now that star wars is dead, can we come up with another franchise that will have a star wars feel?
You called for me? the name's STARLORD
>>
>>64171026
literally who
>>
File: 1268794738979.jpg (117 KB, 450x566) Image search: [Google]
1268794738979.jpg
117 KB, 450x566
>>64146956
>most successful movie to date
>dead

pick one
>>
>>64171158
he's talking about the real star wars
which has been dead since 1997
>>
>>64146956
>>
>>64171275

No, you don't understand that's not how it works.

You have the Golden Age, The Silver and Bronze Age.

Golden Age ended in 1997 and silver age lasted from then til Episode III's release. Bronze age covers the end of Revenge of the Sith's theatrical run up until the end of the TCW series and Star Wars Legacy.

And now we're in the Mouse Age.
>>
>>64151132
>>64151193
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ4c1X5ene8

Already done.
>>
>>64151543
Fin was a great character, there's a lot of interesting stuff that could've and still can be done with him.
He should've been the main protagonist. Poe was boring, but still has potential, his chemistry with Fin makes him worthwhile.
Rey is complete shit.
>>
>>64156049
Filthy as in sexy?
>>
>>64164233
This is a good post.
Thread replies: 190
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.