[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this the worst written character in the movie? Literally nothing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28
File: Rey.jpg (63 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
Rey.jpg
63 KB, 550x550
Is this the worst written character in the movie? Literally nothing about her makes sense.
>>
File: YcIy2Ts.webm (486 KB, 500x502) Image search: [Google]
YcIy2Ts.webm
486 KB, 500x502
:3
>>
SHE DON'T NEED NO MAN

SHE STRONG PROTAGONIST

UGG CRUSH BAD GUYS

NO REDEEMABLE QUALITIES, JUST NAZI ANALOGIES WITH A DESPOTIC CULTURE OF WARFARE

ME SMART WRITER

ME MAKE COMPELLING STORIES
>>
>>64141132
MARY
>>
>>64141168
YOU HAVE AUTISM
>>
>homely brit slag main character
>thuggish brit nigger pet of the main character
brits sure know how to make them.
>>
>>64141173
HAD
>>
>>64141132
>Literally nothing about her makes sense.
>Literally
Nothing you say is now relevant.
>>
>>64141198
ME NO AUTISM

ME WRITER FOR HIGHEST GROSSING MOVIE OF ALL TIME

"I AM NO MAN"

OH THAT'S A GOOD ONE. ME KEEP.
>>
>>64141132

she's a fucking jedi

it all makes perfect sense
>>
>>64141239
Jewish Jedi spawn
>>
>>64141234
You just have crippling autism
>>
>>64141239
>she's a fucking jedi
No she fucking isn't. You need to train for a long time to become a jedi, not scavenge trash in a desert. You don't become a Jedi in one day. That Rey fanboys like you don't realize this is a fucking problem.
>>
File: mutebutton.jpg (102 KB, 1168x1152) Image search: [Google]
mutebutton.jpg
102 KB, 1168x1152
>>64141330

no, you train for a long time to become a jedi knight
>>
C U T E
U
T
E
>>
>>64141132
It makes perfect sense, she has no real motivation so they make her fight for her life the entire movie and it actually works because she's got Jedi blood.
Boom, Star Wars movie. Money please.
>>
>>64141330
The girl character causes great conflict within the male fans. Most of them cannot bring themselves to hate her no matter what because she's sexy Disney has taken advantage of all of you poor bastards
>>
If anything the nigger alien doesn't make sense. Rei is okay.
>>
>>64141330
>You need to train for a long time to become a jedi, not scavenge trash in a desert
Oh right, so how did Luke manage to deflect blaster bolts with a lightsaber and blow up a moon sized space station less than a day after meeting old ben?
>>
>>64141484
nah m8 black dude was surprisingly the best non-OT related character in the new movie

mary sue was terrible and boring
>>
>>64141556
>station less than a day after meeting old ben?
BASED AS FUCK MEMES HER ETO SAVE THE DAY
>>
>>64141556
He trained with Yoda.
>>
File: 1344403933961.jpg (145 KB, 464x550) Image search: [Google]
1344403933961.jpg
145 KB, 464x550
She makes as much sense as Luke Skywalker.

I get the feeling that almost everyone who hates TFA hasn't seen the OT in years, if ever. I bet most of these underaged faggots have never seen the original version without Lucas's shitty additions at all.

>>64141330
Luke didn't train to destroy the Deathstar and in ANH and he trained with Yoda for like a week. Yoda even said straight up that it's not about the training, it's about believing in yourself or whatever because the Force is fucking magic and it's a goddamn bildungsroman, you child.
>>
>>64141132
100% mary sue
>>
>>64141556
The Droid thing was kicking his ass
>and blow up a moon sized station
Yeah he just flew straight in there and blew it up by himself. They didn't even hint he was good at flying
>>
>>64141676
3 years later yes, not in the original film family
>>
>>64141832
>training doesn't help
That's why the jedi council just had a therapist prescribing anti depressants to the jedi instead of training them
>>
>>64141151
>she will literally NEVER know you exist

Why even live, m8s?
>>
>>64141330
>You need to train for a long time to become a jedi

not according to the original trilogy

luke trained for like 2 days with yoda and he was done
>>
>>64141965
just start cutting off pieces of me and forcing me to eat them until there is nothing left already ;_;
>>
>>64141916
>They didn't even hint he was good at flying

Yeah and thats the problem, he was just magically good at flying.
>>
>>64141916
>the droid thing was kicking his ass
because he was blinded, when ben told him to use his feelings he started blocking them like a pro
>Yeah he just flew straight in there and blew it up by himself
actually yeah he did, most of his team were killed by then and he was 3 to 1 against vader in the trench
>>
>>64141279
>I'll try it a second time!
>>
File: 130584109881.jpg (9 KB, 177x200) Image search: [Google]
130584109881.jpg
9 KB, 177x200
>>64141962
In ANH Luke trains for 5 minutes with Obi Wan. In Empire he trains with Yoda for less than a week. Suddenly he is a master Jedi!

That's because the prequels are trash. The Force is magic willpower, that's all. Any other explanation is shit that ruins the simplicity of a hero myth.
>>
>>64141132
What is this facial expression trying to convey?
>>
>>64142022
He was training to be a pilot, he just needed to go to the academy. All of his friends thought he was an ace pilot. Hell originally no one wanted him on the mission until his pilot friends vouched for him.
>>
>>64142022
>>64142036

>average /tv/ posters
>>
>>64141997

Except Yoda straight-up told him that he wasn't done and if he left that soon he would risk ruining everything that he was training for.

His skills improved a lot but he still got his ass kicked during his first fight with Vader.
>>
>>64142066
Just like you tried doing that absolutely pathetic "ME" speak?

Get help, bro
>>
>>64142099

Confusion/bewilderment
>>
>>64142036
>like a pro
>a couple shots
Hue
>his team died
Gee wiz, you should watch the movie again
>>
>the movie intentionally leaving things vague = plotholes and shit writing

When and where did this meme start? Prometheus?
>>
>>64141916

No.

>Luke is waiting to go to some kind of pilot academy
>Luke doesn't want to hire Han because he claims he's a great pilot
>Rebels allow him to pilot the X-wing because his friend backs for him
>Calls him "The best pilot in the outer rim"

Has no one on /tv/ actually seen the original Star Wars?
>>
>>64142036
>he was 3 to 1 against vader in the trench

And Vader would've shot him down effortlessly if it weren't for Han and Chewie.
>>
>>64142182
hint: the same people that say that are the same people that now believe every movie trailer gives away too much
>>
>>64142095
>trains for 5 minutes with obi Wan
>trains with Yoda for a week
Do people seriously not remember that luke was a total fucking shitter until the last movie?
>>
>>64142130
>>64142172
cracking opinions lads, you've swayed us all with your rigorous sarcasm and charming derision
>>
>>64142143
>His skills improved a lot but he still got his ass kicked during his first fight with Vader.
Don't forget, vader was going easy on him too.
He uses one hand and luke still can't handle him. He tries throwing objects at him just to test him.
Every fight with vader was great.
>>
>>64142188
>I can't read a reply chain
>>
A girl who is probably the daughter of some well known Jedi seems to have inherit the gift of the force and to probably become the new female sky walker and Luke is like obi wan. Episode IV all over again.

What's not to understand?
>>
>>64142260
>being blatantly wrong about one of your point while being confident you're right deserves anything but derision

>pilots are dead
>han comes in and saves luke
Hurr durr
>>
File: rolls eyes.jpg (19 KB, 345x194) Image search: [Google]
rolls eyes.jpg
19 KB, 345x194
>>64141132
I HAVE ALWAYS WONDERED ABOUT THIS?!

HOW THE FUCK DO YOU LEARN A LANGUAGE SPOKEN BUY WOOKIES AND DROIDS WHO DO NOTHING BUT MOAN AND GORAN AND BEEP BEEP BOOP?!

I assume the r2s use a form of morse code,but how do you learn how to understand a wookie?
>>
>>64141556
>>64141832

But Luke had prior training as a pilot. It's not like it was the first time he had ever flown or shot anything before, because he was always a good shot. Being good at deflecting the trainer's bolts isn't the same thing as picking up a lightsaber for the first time and defeating someone with hundreds of hours more training than you. You can say that she knows how to use a staff pretty well, but staffs and lightsabers are totally different things. And it doesn't explain all of the other things that she's good at.

Name one thing that she does in the movie that she isn't good at. I'll wait.

The skills that it makes sense for her to have are:

>fighting with a staff or stick
>repairing things
>surviving in a desert

Throughout the course of the movie she:

>flies the Falcon like a pro with no experience in flying whatsoever, even though it would normally require a co-pilot, especially flying against experienced pilots
>"bypasses the compressor", whatever the fuck THAT means
>knows exactly how to manipulate the blast doors on a ship she's never seen before
>picks up a blaster for the first time and then guns down 20 stormtroopers
>somehow bypasses the security of a top-secret imperial installation, even though she's only ever worked with decades-old junk
>uses the Jedi mind trick, even though the only times we've seen anyone use it is when they're a master with the force, it took Luke three movies to use it
>uses the force to grab a lightsaber, even though it took Luke until the second movie to force-grab anything.
>defeats the big bad in a lightsaber duel without ever having used a lightsaber.

At the very least, Luke has a mentor. Rey is just inexplicably good at everything, and has no depth because she never makes mistakes.
>>
>>64142292
I remember more details than that when I watched the movie

>the main character us a lowly underdog but then becomes the hero and wins against a bad guy

>a conflict happens, then it's resolved
>>
>>64142260
>oh shit I'm getting BTFO, better undermine the two posts making fun of me because I can't do that to the guys explaining the basic points of the OT I missed
>>
>>64142302

C3PO mentioned that droids speak in a form of binary, so it can probably be decoded if you have enough mechanical or computer skills, which Rey has. No idea about the wookie though.
>>
>>64142302
I figured it's a jist of it sort of thing and you have to follow their body movements or something.

I want to know how rey understands chewie.
>>
>>64142241
>Blows up the Death Star using the Force, shutting off his computer, when no other pilot could even using the computer assisted targeting
>Manages to hold his own against a guy with 40 years of fighting experience on him
>total fucking shitter
>>
File: 1446237026715.gif (988 KB, 400x250) Image search: [Google]
1446237026715.gif
988 KB, 400x250
>>64141132
>I'm supposed to believe she lived by her own means on Jakku for however long defending herself and not getting raped even once
>>
>>64142350
There's still more conflicts to come anon, the darth Vader fanboy is still alive and will come back even stronger and probably kill Luke.
>>
>>64142302
Idk it's pretty easy to understand what a dog is communicating and dogs are retarded
>>
>>64141330
She's bound to become the most powerful Jedi that ever existed. She has that much promise. The force is strong in her and doesn't mind that she has tits. Deal with it neckbeard.
>>
File: comradedoge.jpg (16 KB, 397x397) Image search: [Google]
comradedoge.jpg
16 KB, 397x397
>>64141279
>>64141198
>this asspain
>>
>>64142337
>uses the force to grab a lightsaber, even though it took Luke until the second movie to force-grab anything.
don't forget Kylo was trying to take it.
>>
>>64141832
Yoda wasn't in ANH faggot
>>
>>64142397
It was never stated that she wasn't raped...

Also what ongoing living expenses does she have? Fuel for her ice cream cruiser, that's about it
>>
>>64142265
>vader was going easy on him too.
>He uses one hand and luke still can't handle him

You're right, can't believe I forgot that.

But just to play Devils advocate, Vader is in a completey different league than Kylo Ren in terms of power, so I guess it's not completely unbelievable that Rey could overpower Kylo if she is some new prodigy or chosen one with the force.
>>
>>64142337
I'll admit JJ made her OP as fuck, probably as a plot device to move things along but Luke wasn't exactly Jar Jar Binks in the first movie either

Who knows, maybe the theory about her being trained by Luke then having her memory wiped and being hidden away is true
>>
>>64141560
Black dude was like a muritard shouting jiihaa did U c that every time he hit something. I'm not surprised tv loves him.
>>
>>64142451
Did Luke diddle her fiddle then run away?
>>
>>64142389
I was talking about the force shit specifically

The piloting skills that are abnormal are an exceptional stretch filled in by force guidance. Rey has some of these moments I don't find too ridiculous.

As far as being able to do the high jedi shit rather than just mystical hippie meditation shit, he's fucking garbage until the last movie
>>
File: 1451097973398.jpg (74 KB, 880x960) Image search: [Google]
1451097973398.jpg
74 KB, 880x960
>The Defense Force Awakens
>They promptly expose themselves for never having seen the original movies
>>
>>64142337
>flies the Falcon like a pro with no experience in flying whatsoever, even though it would normally require a co-pilot, especially flying against experienced pilots
>knows exactly how to manipulate the blast doors on a ship she's never seen before
>somehow bypasses the security of a top-secret imperial installation, even though she's only ever worked with decades-old junk
>uses the Jedi mind trick, even though the only times we've seen anyone use it is when they're a master with the force, it took Luke three movies to use it
>defeats the big bad in a lightsaber duel without ever having used a lightsaber.

All of this. Rey makes no fucking sense. Who the fuck wrote Rey's character? Anita Sarkeesian?
>>
>>64142427
That's the thing, since when do lightsabers suddenly work like wands in Harry Potter, and "choose" their master? So dumb
>>
File: 454353.jpg (44 KB, 273x311) Image search: [Google]
454353.jpg
44 KB, 273x311
>>64142337
She says in the goddamn film that she had practice as a pilot. That's no different than Luke.

She is a tech salvager. She fixes junk. The Falcon is a piece of junk.
There is all kinds of shit like this in the OT. Rewatch ANH. Criticize both or neither.
So does Luke
>uses the Jedi mind trick,
This is true and a legitimate point. I found this very frustrating
>uses the force to grab a lightsaber,
Arguable. Luke also uses the force to shoot bombs into the Deathstar after 5 minutes of training
Luke vs Vader is a newbie vs a seasoned veteran. Kylo is a pussy shit who has as little control of the force as Rey. She doesn't fight him with finesse and control ala the Obi Wan/Vader fight, she just slashses at him rampantly.

Rey's mentor's were Han and Mez. She fucks up several times over the film. First, by taking the Falcon a ship she has to lean literally on the fly, and later by rejecting the call to action of the hero by denying the lightsaber, which allows her to get captured. Then she gets fucked up the in final sequence enough that Finn almost dies.

So perfect though, amirite.
>>
>>64142427
It's on my list of gripes.

Wouldn't have even minded her force pulling it herself at that point.

>kylo dodges out of the way
Cringed desu senpai
>>
>>64142482
>maybe the theory about her being trained by Luke then having her memory wiped and being hidden away is true
Its just so much bullshit though.
>Oh yes I trained you and then I made you forget so you wouldn't turn into ben/be hunted down by the jedi killers
>Okay but why did you abandon me
>also why did no one tell me
>and if I'm already trained how am I going to become stronger
>>
>>64142528
Rey reminds me of Nagate Tanikaze
>>
>>64142494

He had a clear motivation for his actions, acted logically, had flaws, was likeable, made mistakes, and wasn't good at everything inexplicably.

He's the best character in the movie.
>>
>>64142560
questions that will all be resolved in 18 months m8, it sounds a bit convenient to me too but it makes her abilities make some degree of sense I suppose
>>
Reminder that if Rey was male there'd be hundreds of posts dedicated to how badass and awesome he is
>>
>>64142547
I noticed they turned the force from something that influences shit and bends reality or something mystical like that to just blatant magic

They'll be summoning tornadoes and demons by 9
>>
>>64142560
Yoda fucking says that his training was essentially bullshit to focus Luke's mind. If you have a strong, focused will you can use the Force.

Have any of you fucking seen these movies?
>>
Why did she happen to not only be on the same planet as the map to her father but also how did it make its way into her hands?

Why was her father's lightsaber in the very place where she was hiding out?
>>
>>64142547
Kylo's emotions are unstable. He's caught between the light and dark sides and an emotional bitch. At that moment Rey was focused and her power overwhelmed his, as it did earlier.

Or were you not paying attention?

>>64142649
They've only been casting lightening since Jedi, retard.
>>
>>64142388
>I want to know how rey understands chewie.
that too!
>>
File: inbruges460.jpg (48 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
inbruges460.jpg
48 KB, 460x276
>>64141132
Hijacking this thread with some In Bruges.

See, I want to make this my new movie that I know overly well, kinda like I did Goodfellas.

Any takers?
>>
>>64141208
A LITTLE STASH
IT'S THC WAS HIGH
>>
>>64142676
>Why did she happen to not only be on the same planet as the map to her father but also how did it make its way into her hands?
First off
DESTINY
second off, maybe the person that luke trusted to watch her was the guy in the first scene who knew lukes location.

>Why was her father's lightsaber in the very place where she was hiding out?

The force
>>
>>64142676
Why was Leia's ship captured above the planet Luke was living on?
How did C3PO and R2 end up on the exact convoy that ended up at Luke's family's house? Seems too convenient.
Why does Luke know Old Ben Kenobi?
>>
>>64141168
When did she imply she didn't need any man?
Stop projecting your virgin angst.
>>
Reminder that Kylo is
>Wounded after being shot by Chewie
>Emotionally fucked after killing his dad (in the books it states that instead of making him stronger like he supposed it only made him weaker)
>Is new to lightsabers in combat (stated in the book). Very probably he is overreliant on force powers and doesn't know shit about lightsabers, that fucking cross is laughable
>The only experience he has with fighting off force users is killing Jedi trainees - basically he is SW equivalent of an /r9k/ school shooter
>still hasn't completed his training
>Is smitten by Rey as stated in the novel and doesn't want to kill her (wants to ‘train’ her)
>Tired after fighting Finn
>Has equipotential for Light and Dark and as the saying goes, ‘Jack of all trades is master of none’
>Has nowhere near the level of experience that Darth Vader has and isn’t even in the position/respected enough to command soldiers

Reminder that Rey is
>Experienced as a fuck with a staff (see the Finn incident) and has been living in a shithole her entire life compared to Kylo who had a great life with two loving parents
>Is still fresh from the fight
>Draws power from the dark side which is fuelled by hate (for both the interrogation and Han’s death), revenge and anger (as stated in the novel. Furthermore she attacks Kylo ‘viciously’ and he states that she wants to kill him twice)
>Luke is her dad and she is most definitely possessed of genetic destiny (Han isn't a great force user so Kylo's inheritance is potentially diminished)
>>
>>64141132
Forget all the arguments about power levels and how long it should take to learn this and that, there's only one thing that matters: As a movie, it's not at all satisfying at the end when Rey overcomes her obstacles and wins the day, because for the entire movie she'd already been inexplicably better than everyone at everything anyway. It's not exciting or rewarding at the end when she beats Kylo, because at that point you expect her to be the best at light saber fighting, just like she's the best at everything else

This is really the main flaw with the movie. You don't feel anything at the end because you've been watching this magical super genius kick everyone's ass the whole time. There's no real arc, we never see her struggle, so it's not satisfying, surprising or thrilling at the end when she comes out on top.
>>
>>64142552
>so does luke
Luke is a pretty shit shot iirc
>she has to learn on the fly
Hurdles don't undue a mary sue, that isn't fucking up
>denying the lightsaber leads to her fucking up
It doesn't directly lead to it, and it would never have been a problem but for the enemy's actions.
>allows her to get captured
yes, though short lived
>fucks up with Finn
Only insofar as getting her alone to save the day, made room for more mary suing
>just close your eyes and believe bro

I'd like to bring something up I don't see people complaining about. Why the fuck does she just storm off and wander into the plot forest on a planet she's never been on. She probably barely knows what a fucking tree is.
>>
>>64142642
>what is /a/
The amount of times I've seen this faggoty post is eclipsed only by posts on the various boards bitching about mary sues in media

In a couple days I'm sure you shitcunts will overcome that though
>>
Why did c3p0 have a red arm?
was it to show battle damage?
why was he battling though, hes a protocol droid.
Was it actually just to look slightly different and "cool"?

Like did someone say, "lets ad c3p0."
"okay but how do we show how he progressed and aged, seperating himself from the prior movies"
"uh lets paint his arm red"

amazing
>>
>>64142214
She looks so different here
>>
>>64142552
I'm not sure if she actually said that she does have experience as a pilot. I never heard her say that, nor would it make sense for a character that struggles to have enough food to eat every day and has lived her whole life on one planet.

Being a tech scavver doesn't make you good at absolutely everything having to do with tech. It also doesn't mean that you magically fix everything wrong with a ship, and make the people who've been flying it for years look like morons.

She's mystified by the blaster, with Luke it's at least implied that he's used one before, since he used to "bullseye womp rats" back home. Some me a farm kid with no firearms experience, especially one that lives in the Star Wars equivalent of the frontier.

Luke doesn't influence the trajectory of the bombs. He just shoots them accurately with the aid of the force, when he's already stated to be very accurate in a starship.

Kylo Ren has hundreds of hours of training on her. He's also capable of stopping a blaster bolt in mid-air, freezing people on their tracks, and extracting information using some kind of souped-up mind trick. He's not Vader but he's not just some random asshole with a lightsaber either.

Han isn't a mentor. He never gets the opportunity to train her, and doesn't know anything about using the force. Neither does Mez.
>>
>>64142840
That's her denying the hero's quest. It's a quintessential part of the hero's journey. She wanders off to get away from all the information that's just been piled on to her.

Also, rewatch ANH. Luke is a considerably better shot than the Stormtroopers, who are highly trained. Disregarding the joke of them being terrible shots, he's better than them with zero experience.

Everything else is just you denying that a character has problems so you can call her a marysue.

I think it is not only absurd, but blind for anyone to be able to call a character like Rey, who denies the call to action TWICE, a mary-sue and not say the same of Luke Skywalker, who's only denial of the call is him saying he can't go with Obi Wan for like 5 minutes.
>>
>>64142840
>Why the fuck does she just storm off and wander into the plot forest on a planet she's never been on. She probably barely knows what a fucking tree is.
They're trying to disable a superweapon. The plot forest is the location of Starkiller base which Finn told them about.

Disney made TFA for retards like you but clearly they didn't make it idiotproof enough if you are still confused.
>>
>>64142699
>lightning
Within the bounds of what I said, nigger

I'm assuming if they can emit energy from their hand to push and pull they can electrify the atmosphere too. And that is supposed to be rare as fuck too
>>
>>64142811
>in the book
>in the book
>in the book
>in the book
>and none of their internal conflicts are explicit in the movie
>>
>>64142552
>So does Luke
Luke shot wamprats constantly
He even had a familly rifle. He was basically the sticks kind of kid who needed to know how to do that stuff.

Luke honestly had a lot of his feets and weaknesses explained through out the movie.
Like lucas can actually write a character when he cares about it.
>>
>>64142766
Did you miss the entire "STOP HOLDING MY HAND" scene?
>>
>>64142892
and his arm is gold again at the end of the movie
>>
>>64141132

>is this the worst written character in the movie

yes
>>
>>64142934
I don't think hes talking about ice forest, I think hes talking about the forest where whats her face was with the lightsabre.
>>
File: 1416457142142.jpg (11 KB, 230x205) Image search: [Google]
1416457142142.jpg
11 KB, 230x205
/tv/ loves to hate dany too
>>
>>64142833
Basically this. Even if it is explainable, it's still shitty.
>>
>>64142148
>>64142066

lol.

It's actually really satisfying to see someone else insult my insulter than him try and act like it's a two-way conversation.
>>
>>64142931
>who are highly trained. Disregarding the joke of them being terrible shots, he's better than them with zero experience.
It's been stated that they missed constantly to let them escape so they can be tracked to the rebel base.
>>
>>64142766

When she never needed anyone's help with anything, ever. Not just that she was standoffish and she thought that and learned that she did, because that would have been interesting.

She never needed no man to do nuttin.

How the fuck would this character even know what a Jedi Mind Trick was? That's JUST because the audience knows about that. God, this movie was disappointing, and I didn't expect it to deliver anything but dumb entertainment.

YOU COULDN'T EVEN PROVIDE LOWEST COMMON DENOMINATOR ENTERTAINMENT ABRAMS YOU FUCKING HACK
>>
>>64142910
She says something about working on the ships with alien Simon Pegg about piloting, so it is established she has some experience. After multiple seeing it I've definitely confirmed that there's evidence there beforehand. Just because she was hired to work on the shit ships doesn't mean she would eat any better.

She's a tech scavver of ship parts. Makes sense she would understand ship parts pretty well to me.

Luke talks about bullseye's womp rats in regards to his piloting experience though.

Several other pilots used the hyper accurate targeting system to shoot and miss. Luke turns it all off and solely uses the Force to aim.

Hundreds of hours? Maybe. His character seems to be a little bitch who wants to be a badass pero su mama no lo dija. His lightsaber is all over the place because he can't control his shit. He suffers from the exact issues Yoda warns Luke about when he faces Vader, except Luke was more competent at controlling his emotions. Kylo is just all over the place, throwing temper tantrums and such. His method of fighting is just brute force, and as someone who knows how to fight, as we've seen, Rey's use of the lightsaber is just as primitive.

I think saying Han is a mentor is a stretch, yeah. She wanted him as a mentor. Mez provides the call to action.
>>
Rey's knowledge and aptitude with the Falcon could be rationalized if say, the last owner of it had her do maintenance on it while it was in his possession. However her skill with the force is something that isn't understood by some (which is funny because in the movies people are equally daft about the force itself) since most people see control of the force as power itself. Jedi and Sith alike use the force, but Jedi will often let the force flow through them and guide them rather than force it to obey them. It's similar to when Luke took out the Death Star or pulled his saber from the ice. And the same when Rey used the force to trick Daniel Craig and gain enough strength to overcome Kylo Ren in her duel on the surface of Starkiller Base. You never see Sith do this because they force the force. The darkside is the quick path to power, not the strongest.
>>
>>64143021
True, I'm just saying that Luke had little to no experience and shot some niggas up.

I don't think they were actively jumping in front of the blaster fire.
>>
>>64141916

"He was the best starpilot in the galaxy -- I understand that you've become quite a good pilot yourself."
>>
>>64143164

Fuck off faggot, nobody cares about shit from books, that garbage makes no sense in the movie.

Luke Skywalker was the son of Space Jesus and he couldn't do that shit. If I ignore the other movies, it makes even less sense because Ren, the only other force-user in the film, can't do any of that.

Fuck off with this shit.
>>
>>64142095
>In ANH Luke trains for 5 minutes with Obi Wan. In Empire he trains with Yoda for less than a week.

Do you assume he didn't train with Yoda at all during the time between Han's freezing and unfreezing?
>>
The way I see her power is thus:
The force requires some serious special-thinking/willpower/mind-lifting to get to work right, that's why it's tough to just start using telekinesis to lift shit at the start.
But 1. she's very strong in the force naturally. She just needed to tap into it. Which brings me to 2. Kylo Ren fucked up when he tried using his souped up mind trick against her. Because he was basically throwing her into a sink or swim situation, she learned to swim. Really fucking fast. And it was all uphill from there.
That one REALLY tough incident basically jumpstarted her mental faculties in force-exercise and allowed her to accomplish some real shit.
tl;dr: Kylo Ren unlocked her chakras accidentally
>>
>>64143211

Pointing and shooting is different from being able to use space magic or fly complicated spaceships.

Anyway, we see that Luke used guns on Tatooine. Remember that rifle he carried with him?
>>
>>64142934
>didn't make it idiot proof
>can't read and infer from a reply
As if running away from an explosion isn't obvious enough to make you think it was something else before spewing garbage

>>64142931
>denying the hero's quest
Has nothing to do with being a mary sue. In fact it's a common trope that the hero rejects it before becoming roped in anyway because of a plot device.
>he's way better than the stormtroopers
That is true and that's a shitty part of the OT and one of the singular things I thought was way better in TFA. However, the stormtroopers were shitty shots, and relative to everyone else he's gsarbage. Plus it isn't in light of the more serious take on the troopers.
>everything else is denying she had problems
She had one real problem and solves it without any help. Everything else is just convenient for the plot.

>denial of the call
Her denial lasts minutes and is convenient as fuck, doesn't result in harm to anyone else. Still doesn't mean she isn't a mary sue regardless

>luke
Gets his ass kicked and is aided at virtually every turn, until rotj, then later gets his ass kicked again

His personality is also key, perhaps moreso. He's a hothead, and that directly leads to trouble for others and nearly gets him killed. Mary sue in the plot forest is the closest that she ever gets and doesn't need help, doesnt directly lead to a problem for her, nor causes harm to others
>>
>>64143211
that was mostly bad directing by georges part.
If you watch 5 storm troopers are actually treated as a threat and luke runs from them constantly.
>>
>>64143257

Makes no sense and is not explained in the film.

Into the garbage it goes.

There's no way that character would even understand what a Jedi mind trick was, and it isn't set up anywhere else in the movie.
>>
>>64142833
she struggles with the fact that the force/lightsaber is calling to her. she doesn't want it. she is literally handing it to luke at the end of the film
>>
I'm just curious, how did she know how to fly? She looked pretty poor on that desert planet so I don't think she had an aircraft of her own.
>>
>>64143005
Even worse than Rey

Take rey, get rid of the force as a possibility, add nepotism and self jerk ing off, and you get Kelly c. Also make the actress worse and entitled.

The only good thing about that character will be when one of her dragons fucking eats or burns her
>>
>>64143234

Just because someone doesn't do it doesn't mean they cant do it. Your going to have to broaden your line of thinking if your ever going to make sense of the force in Star Wars.
>>
>>64143312

You do know it's your line of thinking that made Lucas create the midichlorians right? People couldn't understand the force or see the philosophy and spiritual ties of it. So Lucas just said fuck it and gave us force science 101.
>>
>>64143213
>I didn't read the post it was a reply to
>I didn't read the other reply that made the same mistake
>>
>>64143361

I can make sense of it perfectly well in the movies that don't have terribly-written muh feminist characters.

That's also shitty writing. In a story, you need to explain how and why things work, or at least build some kind of consistent logic into it. This piece of shit has none of that.
>>
>>64143344
Luke was poor and he knew how to fly

she seemed familiar with the internals of the Falcon, one has to assume she has flown a couple ships or at least run simulations.

if i'm not mistaken she mentions she has flown but not left the atmosphere. i'd have to see it again.
>>
heres a question.
Remember how shit of a life luke had when he was stuck on tatooine? why would luke abandon his child on another remote desert planet?
>>
>>64143392

Lucas created the Midichlorians because he was a dumbass. I understand the force fine when it's correctly written.
>>
>>64143419
he created midichlorians because he needed jedi power levels to show how strong anakin was.
>>
>>64143392
Midichloreans weren't that bad, it's blown way out of proportion

>hey Obiwan you're being a doubtful angsty faggot
>here's a measurement of a life form that has something to do with the force, there's a lot here
Literally not a big deal
>>
>>64143419
The Force is pretty much "it's magic, I aint gotta explain shit" expect people wanted Georgie to explain shit.

Hence: midichlorians.
>>
>>64143412
>I beat my kids and I turned out great
But seriously it doesn't make much sense. Could be though that he just told some asshole to take her and hide her like Obiwan did

Pottery
>>
>>64143441

>needed

This movie doesn't need that and neither did the prequels. What it needs is some kind of arc for the main character, rather than giving her magical powers that let her do everything and have no obstacles to overcome.
>>
>>64143493
I thought that's what whats his face poe met was.

would have made sense at least.
>>
>>64143458

I'm not asking for some EU faggotry to explain the force. I don't give a fuck. The Force is space magic, but we need to have some established rules for how it works within the film, which are present in the ones that, unlike this one, aren't pandering wish fulfillment garbage for upper-middle class feminists.
>>
>>64142547
Force Visions have been a thing in the Star wars EU. The movie ripped a lot of ideas from EU, like that Force Stasis move in the games (paralyzing your opponent ).

The lightsaber was not calling her, but force sensitives can perceive memories in objects. If anything, it implies she must be some amnesiac with a connection to the skywalkers
>>
>>64143458
which was really dumb because OT borrowed a lot from eastern ideas, and the force could easily be explained as a persistent sort of Yin-Yang balance in the universe.
It meshes well with the ideas of comparing the light side to Yin: order, structure, control of the self, the environment, and the dark side to Yang: chaotic, ambitious, evolving, turbulent. Achieving power and status through those traits, while also risking the stability and integrity of the self.
It's even coherent with many themes and events in the prequel trilogy.
>>
>>64143419
Midichlorians being hated with such vitriol is the best example of the prequels being memed into a inside joke circlejerk that everyone is privy too

It's a throwaway explanation and iirc still doesn't explain the force
>>
>>64143545
The only reason you think it's for feminists is because the character pulling the exact same type of space magic bullshit is a woman instead of a man.

Jesus christ, get a fucking grip, man. Luke is actually more perfect than Rey because Luke never wavers in his conviction and dedication in ANH. Also, Luke is heavily driven by his desire to fuck his sister.

How warped is your brain to not see the pottery here? They're the same damn character.
>>
>>64143582

>the movie ripped a lot of ideas from the EU

Don't know fuck all about the EU but this doesn't shock me.

I'm sure it won't continue to do so or anything
>>
>>64143458
More mysticism than magic until TFA desu senpai
>>
>>64143545
There is an explanation. Yoda, Obi-Wan, all of them explain the force. Once again it comes down to the fact that people can't grasp the force still being mostly spiritual and metaphysical. If you need an explanation, draw the lines in the movies. When any force user closes they're eyes and calls upon the force fully, they can do what they couldn't do before.
>>
>>64142600
but ruined for the main demographic (nerdy white men) because he bbc. you cant identify with that
>>
>>64143541
Me too, then he was a throwaway garbage character

If they come back after the fact and bring his ass up I'm just going to walk out.
>"btw that character that got 2 minutes of screen time was a big deal, NOW well talk about him after he's dead uneventfully"
>>
>>64143606

The time we spend with Luke is time learning about who he is and what he wants and how he's very recognizably weighing his desire to leave and live a life of adventure with his devotion to his family.

The time spent with Rey shows how independent she is and how she don't need nobody. And then despite being seen to not like a robot and constantly be cheated out of money, she doesn't sell it because plot.

Luke didn't know how to do anything he wasn't told to, apart from a little bit of magic in the end that made you feel good. When he first used a lightsaber he got his ass kicked, and he couldn't do any mind trick until the third movie that kind of sucked anyway.

Rey can do literally whatever the plot needs her to and her character makes no sense and is never in danger. That shit's boring. Fuck you and your garbage movie.
>>
>>64143629
when you become one with the force, one with reality, right, that's mysticism. well, when you become one with the force, you are everything. you are no longer possessing your body but moving on a sort of autopilot. you let instinct guide you, and the force guides your instinct. you become the living force.
>>
>>64143641

That's not even remotely how the force works in the OT. And this movie needs to stand on its own, it's been 30 fucking years. Reintroduce the concept of the The Force in your own way, JJ.

Or just make it plot-advancing magic, whatever.
>>
>>64143582
Force stasis is close enough to push, pull and choke as to not be worth mentioning

I don't think force visions have ever been tied to a fucking object like that though, I thought those were two different things (because they are retarded put together), with force sensitive object just being strong with the force alone
>>
>>64143703
the force flows through everything. if you possessed the presence of mind to meditate be guided by instinct, the force can help you do anything. it helped luke shoot two rockets down a 4 foot hole and then directly downwards for miles without hitting the edges.
>>
>>64143606
>le you wouldn't do it if it was a man
Oh boy how many times have I read this today

Can't wait to see hilary use it
>>
>>64143753
I was thinking stuff like the Korriban tomb in Kotor 2, where if you walk in you start having flashbacks about Revan and Malak, because the tomb was connected to those events and people.

The resemblance of some Force stuff in the movies resembled the EU
>>
>>64143742
are you fucking dumb? luke lifting the xwing out of the swamp. can't do it on his own. concentrates, let's the force guide him, can do it.

grow up.
>>
>>64143717
But it's influence, it's not magic per se

In my mind magic is unexplainable "it just works" powers. With the force I've always seen it as something less than that.
>>
>>64143816

Right. He learns how to use it and can do magic in a very specific way. He can't just do whatever the plot requires.

>>64143782

And it would have been just as cathartic if he had done it on his own, but Obi-Wan was instructing him from beyond. Again, a very specific approach and outcome. Not just whatever he wants to do.
>>
>>64143804
But you are revan

And a place is a bit different than touching an object imo

>resembles the EU
Haven't gotten much of that outside of kotor, but it sounds semen slurping and not for me
>>
File: 1342924280891.png (114 KB, 660x738) Image search: [Google]
1342924280891.png
114 KB, 660x738
>>64143703
We spend time with Rey seeing how she isn't a bad person because she chooses to keep BB-8 rather than sell him for scrap. She sees the droid as a person, as do many of the characters from the OT.

Luke knew how to pilot a ship because we're told he knows how. Same with Rey. Luke does some magic, Rey does more but not beyond the bounds of disbelief in the universe.

Luke was fighting Vader, a man with decades of experience and training on him. Rey was fighting Kylo, a newblood whiny faggot.

Enjoy your hipster hatred of popular shit.

>>64143785
I've yet to see a single other reason be posted that makes any fucking sense.

The only thing Rey does that I found retarded was using the Jedi mind trick. Everything else is completely in line with shit Luke did either in Hope or Empire.

You retards are just making is obvious that you've never seen the fucking films.

And I hate that I feel compelled to sit here and defend a Star Wars movie when I really only like Star Trek, yet apparently I've watched more Star Wars than 99% of /tv/.
>>
>>64143839
it tends to amplify the abilities that people already possess, but we've also clearly seen people do things with it that are akin to a spell or directing the force. generally these are darkside things like lightning, creating life, etc.
>>
>>64143839
But you had no problem with lifting the X-Wing or Sheev shooting lightning out of his finger tips?
Because that IS magic.
>>
Imagine how stupid it would be if Leia managed to escape the death star and resist vader in the first movie. Now imagine if she also managed to grab Obi Wan's lightsaber after he died and beat Vader with it. Now imagine if she also was a super good pilot and mechanic and everything else under the fucking sun.

That's literally how fucking stupid this character is.
>>
>>64143816
Can barely do it, gets help from the little green faggot, doesn't finish, still an asshole about it afterward
>he can do it
Every argument to make luke a mary sue ignores the details

I mean christ dude, luke thinks he's right fucked until Yoda tells him about it. Mary sue just does it

>>64143919
Creating life is not confirmed canon, yet. Even still that could be explained via biology somehow. Lightning can be explained with physics.

I'm talking about vs something like pulling a 10 foot snake out of a mug
>>
>>64143866
"he can't just do whatever the plot requires" i can tell from your language that you're simply prejudiced. the plot required him to get his xwing out of the swamp to get off dagobah. he had to use the clear his mind and become one with the force to advance the plot. he tried once, and he failed. then he concentrated, steeled himself, and succeeded.

sounds a lot like what someone did in the process of mindtricking someone for the first time?? derp.
>>
File: 1311027319946.png (31 KB, 715x495) Image search: [Google]
1311027319946.png
31 KB, 715x495
>>64143948
Kylo Ren is not fucking Obi Wan or Darth Vader. How brain damaged are you faggots?

Also Leia is not established as a pilot or a mechanic, which Rey is.

Just fuck my shit up, jesus christ. Are you all naturally this stupid, or did you have to practice?
>>
>>64143908
>She sees the droid as a person, as do many of the characters from the OT.
actually most of the characters ignore the droids. Even luke was sarcastic to them.

it doesn't really make sense for Rey to not sell bb-8. Shes trying to get by every day to survive and she gets a free meal ticket and turns it down.
>>
>>64143948
Don't forget pulling Jedi mind tricks out of her ass.
>>
>>64144008
anon does have a point though. leia was untrained but still very force sensitive. She couldn't do these things but she could feel the force through other people. Rey on the other hand can do all this crazy stuff.
>>
>>64143948
she is already a pilot and a fighter in the first place. she beats the shit out of two people with a staff at once with barely a sweat.

furthermore leia is a fucking terrible example because she displays absolutely no force capability, combat knowhow, or piloting skills. she's a goddamn princess. rey is a scavenger.

grow up.
>>
>>64143908

No one in the OT sees the droids as people. Luke and Owen buy them as property because they can use them, and Luke is annoyed that he has to deal with them. On the Deathstar, they use them to facilitate their plan, and expose them to danger constantly.

Rey is annoyed by the droid and tells it to go away precisely one scene before she refuses to sell it for more money than she usually makes in months.

We are not told Rey knows how to pilot a ship and it makes no sense that she would.

Comprehend this; Kylo was trained in how to fight with a lightsaber. Rey was not. It's a complete dead end that she wins. She needs to lose and then work to overcome her shortcomings. Like a fucking character. She's just there for feminist wish fulfillment and I'd be even more insulted if I were a woman.

You need to name one fucking piece of magic that Luke, without instruction, knew how to do in A New Hope. Reaching for your lightsaber and having it fly into your hand makes perfect sense and is from the best movie. Suddenly knowing how to use a laser sword without training does not make sense.
>>
>>64144015
They ignore the droids for like the first half hour. They they become real characters. When was the last time you watched these films?

Also, the point is to establish her as a kind character who cares about others. Of course, she instantly jumps on the food, but then reconsiders. She does the same with Finn. Wow, look, characterization and consistency.
>>
>>64144008
>>64144057

the point
>>>>>>
your heads

jesus fucking christ I am not your teacher and going to write it on a chalk board for you
>>
>>64144002

There is no way she would even know what that was. It's not a long leap from 'space magic exists' to 'maybe I can use it to lift something'. And he still has to be trained.
>>
>>64143908
>never seen the films
Except the people who have been defending TFA have been the ones to demonstrate that in this thread you fucking faggot
>only thing was the jedi mind trick, everything else is in line with what luke did in hope and empire
You're bitching about people being misogynist and not even approaching their arguments, just disregarding them out of hand. Nobody just outright complains that rey is capable, it's that she is so capable within the context of the movie

>I only really like star trek
It's pretty obvious with the autism flare and sjw mentality.

Eat a dick nigger
>>
>>64144085
Your point was retarded and people called it retarded.
>>
>>64143948
This. Totally agree. Rey's character is stupidly overpowered. Like wtf she's a jack of all trades and the master of all of them.
>>
>>64144015
or you know, as she later exhibits an ability to LITERALLY SEE THE FUTURE AND PAST she has "a bad feeling about this" when she goes to sell the droid.

>>64144056
because leia knew what the force was? as soon as rey knows what the force really is she begins to explore what she's good at. have you considered the force sensitives possess differing natural cabilities?
>>
>>64144057

>she beats the shit out of two people with a staff

It's like you're making my argument for me

She's wish-fulfillment for feminist nurd gurls.
>>
>>64144057
but Leia is Force sensitive! it's reasonable for her to do it all in one movie :^)
>>
>implying Rey won't turn out to be one of Luke's daughter and padawan but he made her forget
>>
>>64144112
my point was >>64144114

horray for someone else pointing it out for you.
>>
>>64143947
only relative to us where the force doesn't exist. Physics could fall in line with pushing/pulling and electric atmosphere
>>
If I still were 14 and wrote a fanfic Rey would be the main character. She's amazing, never wrong, always right and can do everything.
>>
>>64144114
except for when she is overpowered by impotent white male rage the character??

>>64144085
"I'm not going to explain it to you" = "I'm afraid you will continue to ridicule my stupidity"

>>64144093
there's no way she would know that if the force flows through all things that she could use it to control people like she has literally been controlled with it previously?
>>
>>64144002
Didn't Yoda pull it out?

Luke failing and being an asshole about it was a big deal
>>
>>64144117
>because leia knew what the force was
Yes? she was with luke constantly.
>have you considered the force sensitives possess differing natural cabilities?
then that explains why she was able to copy Kylo's mind read, lukes lightsabre pull, obiwan's mind tricks, and have yodas ability to tell the future and past or something. It feels like lazy writing that couldn't come up with jedi abilities specific for her.
>>
File: 1374901644662.jpg (124 KB, 702x530) Image search: [Google]
1374901644662.jpg
124 KB, 702x530
>>64144109
No, nigger, I addressed every point that's been raised in this thread and all of them blatantly ignore parallels to the OT or try to explain how the same shit that happens with Luke in the OT is somehow different than what happens with Rey.

The only thing I think she does that's retarded is the mind trick. Everything else is fine and in line with Force magic.

I didn't call anyone a mysogynist you illiterate trash, I said that Luke and Rey are parallel characters that do essentially all the same shit because they're heros on the heros journey ala Joeseph Campbell, who Lucas ripped off every fucking plot point from - which was a damn smart move.

Also
>Star Trek
>SJW

Holy fuck, are you actually 14 years old?
>>
>>64141132
It will all make sense after we get 2 hours of deleted scenes after the movie comes out on dvd.
>>
>>64144165
>except for when she is overpowered by impotent white male rage the character??
Do you mean kylo? the guy she defeats?
>>
>>64144165
>except for when she is overpowered by impotent white male rage the character?

And I am done arguing with a feminist retard. Have a good night.
>>
>>64144196
how dare they use the generic stock of jedi force powers? holy shit you really are reaching. all of the things you assign to specific characters do not belong to them in any way.
>>
>>64144204

You still haven't named one thing Luke can magically do in A New Hope without instruction or encouragement or illustrated where Rey is set up as being either a pilot or an engineer.
>>
File: REY vs LUKE.jpg (370 KB, 1000x981) Image search: [Google]
REY vs LUKE.jpg
370 KB, 1000x981
>>64141132

SHE WAS NOT A MARY SUE!!!

FOR THE LAST TIME!

QUIT SAYING IT!
>>
>>64144244
How do they not? those were the abilities each of those specific characters had. Shes able to use EVERY one of them. how does that not sound crazy?
>>
>>64144165

>impotent white male rage the character

What a den of degenerate faggotry this has become, no wonder I haven't been here in months.
>>
>>64142188
Who would watch the OT when I can just go on Wookiepedia and then masturbate to a picture of Rey.
>everybody in this thread.
>>
>>64144219
you mean the guy who holds her in place and puts her to sleep with a wave of her hand?

>>64144231

nighty night baby.. shh its ok.. did kylo remind you of your own impotent rage? awww poor baby.
>>
>>64144253
He needed saving from the trash compactor as well.
>>
>>64144165
>except for when she is overpowered by impotent white male rage the character??
Except that she is not overpowered by him. She overpowers him both during the interrogation and at the end of the light saber battle. Him, a skilled force user and saber wielder of many years, second best fighter after Snoke. Totally makes sense, ey?
>>
>>64144277
yeah, the jedi trained by luke and snoke. The one that managed to be defeated by rey in lightsabre combat at the end of the movie because she gave into her feelings.
>>
File: 1342925008797.jpg (39 KB, 227x227) Image search: [Google]
1342925008797.jpg
39 KB, 227x227
>>64144245
Luke fucking shoots bombs into the Death Star without using any navigation.

>Use the force Luke

Is not training. It's not instruction. It's not even encouragement.

Rey says she worked with the Simon Pegg alien on his ship.

She scavenges old ship parts and sells them. She has to be able to tell what parts are what.

She works with the Simon Pegg alien on his ship shit, indicating she has some knowledge.

She states herself as being knowledgeable at being a pilot (as much as Luke does).

I have said these exact things probably 10 times in this thread.

You want to hate this character so hard, it's embarrassing.
>>
>>64142389
He was the best fighter pilot in the outer rim...the force 'enhanced' his ability, not just gave it to him like with Rey in 7.

Also Vader was toying with him in 5 when they were dueling you dumb ass.

>All these people defending 7
>>
rey didn't do anything that was outside the realm of possibility for somebody with no training. the whole point of the force is that it works in mysterious ways, calling out to people who are born with it. in other words it's a supernatural force, aint gotta explain shit
>>
>>64144277
>you mean the guy who holds her in place and puts her to sleep with a wave of her hand?
That's what he's trained to do. He's a powerful force user.
>>
>>64144262
yoda, mace, obi, and quigon all can sense the thoughts or emotions of those around them. obiwan, luke, and yoda do the lightsaber pull. obi wan, yoda, and quigon do the mind tricks. quinlan vos has psychometry (touches objects and can sense their past/present), anakin can see seconds into the future while he pilots his pod racer.

these are all generic force powers that more than one jedi exhibit.

>>64144265

oooo another poor baby who got reminded of his inability to get what he wants in life due to his impotent rage :(
>>
>>64144316
>use the force luke
it was a much larger scale and application of the helmet training he had with obiwan. Don't trust the eyes of the machines trust your feelings.

Somehow Rey was able to do that too. Did han teach her?
>>
rey is easily one of the most well-written characters in the movie, I'm tired of posting the exact same things over and over in these threads, it's like you idiots are immune to facts and are incapable of accepting that a girl can be a strong character.
>>
>>64144362
Don't cite the prequels as evidence.
>>
>>64144316

'Use the force, Luke. Trust your feelings.'

It's clear instruction not to use the targeting computer. And it's one moment for a character who has spent a movie getting his ass kicked.

I literally just watched the movie. None of that shit happens with Rey. And knowing what parts are doesn't mean you're an engineer. I hate this character because she's insulting and pandering and never has to overcome any odds or face any hardships. This isn't interesting writing.

I have a hard time blaming Kasdan.
>>
>>64144204
You can have her do force lightning out of her hand and it could be explained. It still looks like shit. Youre clinging to thr notion that something merely being possible is good enough

>I addressed every point
Sure you did
>parallels
And you keep drawing parallels and disregarding context because you're a fucking autist
>everything else is fine
Context
>I didn't call anyone a misogynist
As if saying it's just because she is a woman isn't good enough. You know what I meant autist.
>hero's journey trash again
Hurr durr they're both underdogs that beat the bad guy, as if that fucking means anything profound
>star trek not leftist
You must not be a big fan. I am, despite it being leftisg. Or you're just stupid, which you've shown a propensity for already
>>
>>64142474
Yes they are different, but no, the concept is still the same. He has had more time and practice than her in dueling, so her just getting it even with her 'conjuring' of the force makes no sense that she would just destroy him. Maybe a tie or just barely holding on but she shouldn't of been better than him over the course of less than a day...That's where it gets retarded.
>>
>>64144343
>rey didn't do anything that was outside the realm of possibility
>in other words it's a supernatural force
kek
>>
>>64144371
>the helmet training he had with obiwan
You mean the thing they did for two minutes and all Obiwan told him was to "use the force" or something?
Using the force isn't something you need to be specifically instructed in.
>>
anyone have that gif of her eating the orange?
>>
>>64144399
jesus fucking christ

is this what /tv/ has become?

oh goddddd

fucking need a separate /starwars/ board tout suite
>>
>>64144371
Why do you people want the Force to be so quantifiable? You realize this is exactly why midicholrians became a thing, right? People like you wanted to see all the Jedi's get trained, so now they all train with a blast helmet down like Luke did. People wanted to quantify Jedi power levels, so now, here's a convenient number to show you.

The Force is space magic based on willpower. Yoda fucking says that the training is essentially bullshit to focus Luke's mind - it's about willpower. Rey is focused on a goal. If anything, she's being more influenced by hatred and rage, the most potent form of the Force, while Kylo is struggling with light/dark, hence why she overpowers him.
>>
>>64144383

>clearly wants to suck Daisy Ridley's toes

A character who faces no obstacles or hardships and never has trouble doing anything is not interesting or well-written.

It has fuck all to do with her being a girl.
>>
>>64144415
>rey didn't do anything that was outside the realm of possibility FOR SOMEBODY WITH NO TRAINING

are you slow?
>>
>>64144353
The retard you are responding to does not understand that a person with 20+ years of training should be able to overpower a non-force user with ease. The fact that Kylo Ren even came close to losing to Rey is a joke and shits all over the abilities he has shown during the 1st half of the movie. The guy can read your mind, stop blasters in mid air, and force choke people and use that ability to drag them to him. But in all of that, he can't touch Rey with a lightsaber despite killing all of the other padawans he was training with? Just fuck my shit all up fampai

>>64144383
>>64144383
The only people who think Rey is properly written are children, and women with empowerment complex (like yourself.)
>>
>>64144453
>A character who faces no obstacles or hardships and never has trouble doing anything is not interesting or well-written.

yeah man, it's not like the first 20 minutes of the movie are spent showing her hardships, how her family abandoned her, how she can barely afford to feed herself, how she lives inside the skeleton of an abandoned war machine by herself, nah

>>64144460
>The only people who think Rey is properly written are children, and women with empowerment complex (like yourself.)

you sound mad
>>
>>64144457
>rey didn't do anything that was outside the realm of possibility FOR SOMEBODY WITH NO TRAINING
>in other words it's a supernatural force
still kek
>>
>>64144343
>force makes your mom materialize in front of me and suck my dick
>then she grows wings flies away
the force works in mysterious ways, it's just magic yo
>>
>>64144509
so basically, you're incapable of reading. epic dude
>>
>>64144442
Yes I want things explained.
I don't want a character to say
"oh I used this insane plot device without any understanding of the plot device."
instead It needs limit it needs to be grounded in a way that doesn't sound silly. Clearing your mind and being taught how to clear your mind should be a pre-requisite. It's being called back by clearing your mind with the helmets and trusting your feelings. it's not the training of course but the character knowing they can do these things. it's a little bit of magic that doesn't happen at every turn.

That's the problem with the prequels. there was nothing magical about them, it was just bullshit that destroyed any sense of threat or growth.
>>
>>64144392
"don't cite canon films as evidence"

you're literally a grognard cunt

>>64144395
"never has to face any hardships or overcome any odds"
is literally shown surviving off 1/4 portions of a meal while working under a shitty asshole scrapper.
was abandoned by her family. emotional hardship.
was put into stasis and knocked out by kylo. physical combat where she lost.

>>64144399
or maybe its as though not every piece of media is written with a political ideology in mind, and rather you are conjuring up delusions?

>>64144410

who the fuck do you think kylo has dueled? who the fuck else has a lightsaber for him to duel with? he literally killed all of the students before they built any, while Luke was unable to do anything for some reason.
>>
>>64144410
Kylo Ren was heavily injured though and just fucking killed his father so he wasn't thinking straight. Even Finn managed to land a blow on him.
Also don't forget he was trying to pull a Darth Vader and lure her to the Dark Side during their fight. Obviously failing at that which is his entire character.
>>
>>64144504

She gets along fine, and seems pretty happy desu. And that would be establishment, not conflict. When any conflict arises, she circumvents it effortlessly. This is poor and boring writing.
>>
File: 1440786325433.jpg (48 KB, 231x231) Image search: [Google]
1440786325433.jpg
48 KB, 231x231
>>64144399
>Ignores everything said to refute him in the thread
>Calls Joseph Campbell's research bullshit
>Thinks liking Star Trek makes you a leftist

Ahh, I see, so you're a literal retard, good to know.
>>
>>64142811
So if I haven't read the book(s) then this trilogy is going to absolute shit?
>>
>>64142188
Yeah this what happens when SJWs creep into a particular fandom and pretend to have "always" been fans. Literally give seconds of cross examination reveals they don't know shit
>>
>>64144383
>I've won every argument, you're all less intelligent than me
*le fedora tip*
>people don't like strong females
>well written or good real life strong females are jerked to on a daily basis here
Go back to Tumblr you fucking autistic roastie
>*sheathes sword*
Nothing personnel, kid
>>
>>64141132
COOK THE MAN SOME FUCKING EGGS BITCH
>>
>>64144460
>The retard you are responding to does not understand that a person with 20+ years of training should be able to overpower a non-force user with ease. The fact that Kylo Ren even came close to losing to Rey is a joke and shits all over the abilities he has shown during the 1st half of the movie. The guy can read your mind, stop blasters in mid air, and force choke people and use that ability to drag them to him. But in all of that, he can't touch Rey with a lightsaber despite killing all of the other padawans he was training with? Just fuck my shit all up fampai
Yeah (s)he's dense. I have a feeling she's defending this poorly written character because Rey is her "strong woman" wetdream.
>>
>>64142811

I don't give a fuck about the book. None of that shit is in the movie. Except Rey and her staff and that was also pandering garbage. No one would have been able to beat four guys. Instead Finn should have evened the odds so their relationship could get going and we could learn about both characters.
>>
>>64144504
Despite all of those hardships SHE STILL HAS NO FLAWS AND OVERCOMES EVERY OBSTACLE EFFORTLESSLY. Jesus christ do you not understand that in order for there to be a character arc, that there must be an actual arc? She just keeps getting more perfect with each step of the way.

>but muh emotional hardships

Just because she is a woman does not mean that it is OK for the movie to make her only issues emotional ones. And to boot, she sits there happily wearing an xwing pilot helmet with a rebel pilot doll dreaming the day away.

Side note:

If Kylo was able to force paralyze her and knock her out with a hand movement, why the fuck wasn't he able to do this in the fight? Because its really fucking convenient that "her force awakens." Shut the fuck up and get out of here.
>>
File: 1344187115784.png (347 KB, 278x453) Image search: [Google]
1344187115784.png
347 KB, 278x453
>>64144556
>lives in the wreck of a ship
>spends all day, every day digging through wreckage for scraps
>eats a half or less rations of food a day
>marks her wall each day waiting for her parents
>Is completely alone, destitute and miserable
>only holding on to the weak hope someone will come back who cares about her
>happy life
>>
>>64144559
>ignores everything said to refute him
I've replied to everything, you've been making posts restating how right you are
>called the research bullshit
No fuckstick, I said it had nothing to do with being a mary sue and you just keep regurgitating your bile because it resembles an argument
>thinks liking star trek makes you a leftist
I literally implied the opposite you tremendous pretentious faggot
>>
She's obviouslly the most powerful jedi ever because she's using Jedi mind tricks the first day she realizes she can use the force.

Adam Driver is the weakest Jedi ever because he almost gets his ass handed to him by a normie Stormtrooper.

It's bad writing. This is just like Revenge of the Sith. Paid reviews and Star Wars spergs droning out eensible opinions. In a coupke of years peopke will realuze this movie is a pile of shit.
>>
>>64144650
why wasn't he able to do this in the fight?

because he had literally just previously been unable to exert his force power on her lending him insecurity in his own ability, he was fucking gaping abdomen wound, had just killed his own father. try centering yourself enough to use the force after all that.
>>
>>64143164
You are a retard.
The force enhances your abilities, it does not grant you said abilities.
>>
>>64144654

Yeah, she's supporting herself fine and doesn't seem to want anything different, unlike Luke. I don't give a fuck about her fucking parents, she's stupid to think they're coming back.

How many fucking superhero reaction images do you have, you faggot? Why not just take a tripcode so everyone knows you're subhuman?
>>
>Luke destroys a Death Star from flying in an X-Wing for the first time with his eyes closed
>Nobody complains

>Rey exists
>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE GIRLS
>>
>>64144504
those "hardships" are barely emphasized or focused on at all and in spite of having a troubled backstory she has no clear weaknesses or flaws

i would expect someone raised in an environment like that to be untrusting, socially awkward, somewhat selfish, and generally not likable yet everyone magically warms up to her and trusts her in seconds
>>
>>64144690
awwww another poor babby who can't deal with his impotent rage D:

>>64144654
honestly man it's as though people's beliefs are informed by ideology rather than what their fucking eyes see

"well i saw her miserable but she smiled once so WOMEN HAS IT SO EZ"
>>
>>64144709
oh look its maybe the same poor impotent rage manbabby...

did kylo remind you of how much you hate your daddy?
>>
You can tell a person is an idiot if they think Rey is too perfect and has no flaws.

She has loads of natural skill and talents, but she has absolutely no initiative and is a total coward. If Finn hadn't shown up, she was literally going to stay on Jakku for the rest of her life waiting for a family that's never going to come back for her.

Shit, just look at the final confrontation against Kylo Ren. Finn is the one with the giant black balls needed to stand up to this guy. He knows he's not a Jedi and doesn't realistically stand a chance but he rushed in to attack him anyway. Rey literally had to be forced into fighting him. The lightsaber literally had to fly into her hand and force her to use it. Did you see how surprised she was when it flew into her hand? I don't think she was trying to grab it even. The Force made her pick it up because she was too much of a pussy to do it herself.
>>
>>64144714
>Luke
Got rekt by the tusken raiders, needed Obi Wan to save him
Nearly got killed by the men in the cantina, needed Obi Wan to save him
Needed Leia and Han to cover his ass constantly during the rescue mission, which ended up being a clusterfuck
Screwed up deflecting blaster bolts while Obi Wan was training him, never actually does that until 2 movies later
Rarely used his lightsaber at all
Needs C3PO to interpret droids for him
Initially annoyed Han and Leia with his naivete and innocence
Needed R2 to save him from being crushed by the trash compactor
Needed Obi Wan to protect him from Vader
Needed Wedge to protect him from a TIE fighter during the trench run
Needed Han to save him from Vader during the trench run
Piloted competently, didn't do anything the other rebel pilots couldn't do (except aim the torpedo)
Used the force once

>Rey
Beat up four guys by herself
Skilled marksman
Skilled mechanic
Knew more about the Millennium Falcon than Han and Chewie, who piloted and repaired it for years
Piloted the Millennium Falcon by herself competently enough to outmaneuver two TIE fighters, even though it required two pilots
Gets kidnapped once, ends up saving herself anyways
Better at using the Force than Kylo, who trained under Luke for years
Instantly knowledgeable about probing minds, telekinesis, and using Jedi mindtricks
Instantly skilled at using a lightsaber
Has super saiyan jedi mode, which no other jedi has ever used in the movies
May have possibly learned all of this at the ripe young age of 4, depending on her backstory
Instantly liked by everyone
Instantly trusted by the Resistance to go on a mission to find Luke, even though they barely knew her
Can speak Droid and Wookie fluently
>>
>>64144714
>over generalization

>ad hominem

The entirety of the mary sue apologists arguments in minimalist form. Nice.
>>
>tfw all this arguing is pointless because Rey will be Luke's daughter and trained by him anyway
>>
File: 1330831406963.jpg (24 KB, 268x264) Image search: [Google]
1330831406963.jpg
24 KB, 268x264
>>64144709
Holy fuck you are so mad. I actually chuckled.

You don't give a fuck about her parents? Woah, radical.

Well I don't give a fuck about Luke's aunt and uncle. He seems to be supporting himself just fine. Why doesn't he just take over the moisture farm? He's got some nice new droids and now no one to split the profits with. Fuck old Ben and his shit, Luke should have just run the moisture farm.

Also I have probably over 100. Greetings from /co/, nigger.
>>
>tfw your masculinity is so fragile that you can't enjoy a straya cunt laying the smackdown on a whiny manbaby
>>
>>64144781
>I'll just close my eyes an believe
More retarded than "let's try spinning"
>>
>>64142811
>>Is new to lightsabers in combat (stated in the book). Very probably he is overreliant on force powers and doesn't know shit about lightsabers, that fucking cross is laughable

The cross lightsabre is not laughable, it has a particular function so that the sides can injure the opponent, as what happened with Finn. And it's pretty obvious that Kylo(even when injured) is way better at lighsabre combat than Rey since all she could do is backpedal and block his swings until he had her against the cliff at which point she pulled a Mary Sue and kicked his ass. This was not believable, cheap, poorly thought out, basically badly written. Like someone's fanfic.
>>
>>64144797
i feel like i need to thank you for not being retarded because it's so common in this thread
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.