[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does everyone hate found footage? I get the complaint about
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: the-blair-witch-project.jpg (66 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
the-blair-witch-project.jpg
66 KB, 1280x720
Why does everyone hate found footage?

I get the complaint about how it's unrealistic for someone to film everything, but every horror movie has stupid quirks.
>>
Because its a transparent way to save money and effort for most films.
>>
>>64134846

And also looks like shit.
>>
Im fine with it if it makes sense for characters to be filming it. Most of the genre is pretty lame, ie a highschool student decideds to start filming everything the day before sht goes down

Rec did it well
>>
>>64134784
Blair Witch was the first and basically the only good one from what I've seen.
If anyone thinks Blair Witch is shit, their young or should be otherwise disregarded.
>>
>>64134784
i'm the idiot that watches every found footage movie. I just like them. Most of them are stupid, but the 1st person aspect of most of them make them watchable to me...to me. I know most people hate "shaky cam" but when done creatively enough they can be entertaining. Not academy award winning films, but just good popcorn time killing movies. I just know to lower my standards and just enjoy it going in.
>>
>>64134846
Found footage takes a lot of effort actually
>>
>>64134951
>muh nostalgia when im 25 years old

I'd love to kick your ass
>>
Recommendations of good found footage?
>>
There's just too much of it saturating the genre.

People get sick of shit.
>>
>>64136065
grave encounters
REC 1 & 2
V/H/S 1 & 2
>>
I actually really like it, its really comfy and just relaxing I can't explain it. Even when its pretty shit I like it.

Cloverfield, as above so below, Blair witch, some bullshit on Netflix, its all pretty cool even when its crap. I actually really like cloverfield
>>
blair witch is the greatest horror film ever made
no found footage let alone horror comes close to it
>>
>>64135954
BWP is going to be 17 years old next year.
>>
>>64135047
Same here. When done well it can be a really effective horror subgenre. With the influx of Paranormal Activity knock-offs right now, it's hard to find the gems but they're around.
>>
>>64134951
It wasn't the first, it was just the first to make it big, and it also showed the studios what kind of budget/box office ratios they could bring in with it if they got a real winner. Before that the "found book" story has been a trope in literature for centuries now.
These movies tend to look like shit though, and many recent ones have been breaking the conceit around the climax of the movie just because they can't justify the tiny perspective for their big scenes. I would have preferred Cloverfield had been shot as a traditional monster movie. On the other hand Blair Witch, Catacombs, Paranormal Activity - all well suited to this style.
>>
>>64134784
Nausea-inducing

Cheap way of mass-producing horror
>>
>>64136065
also, Creep is pretty funny and real creepy at the same time.
>>
Bump for moar recommendations.
>>
>>64136065
I really liked the Bay, as well as the other suggestions in this thread.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.