[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why didn't the X-Wings just hyperjump behind the Starkiller
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 128
Thread images: 8
Why didn't the X-Wings just hyperjump behind the Starkiller shields as the Falcon did?
>>
Can x-wings hyperjump?

I'm a star wars noob, and I was always under the impression that only larger ships(and the falcon) could make hyperjumps while single-pilot ships couldn't or required some kind of aid (obi-wans ship in ep 2)
>>
>>64122038
When does school start for you? You don't want to forget to finish all your winter break homework
>>
>>64122038
Luke's could to Dagobah
>>
>>64122038
Yes, X-wings can; luke travelled everywhere in one. TIE fighters are super cheap though and need a transport to jump.

Only a ridiculously good pilot like Han Solo could make an approach at lightspeed and not die
>>
>>64122038
No. It took Luke centuries to reach Dagobah.
>>
>>64122078

Butthurt oldfag?

Seriously dude, they are movies made for children and to sell toys.
>>
>>64122132
>Only a ridiculously good pilot like Han Solo could make an approach at lightspeed and not die
Is he really a good pilot? I don't know anything about other Star Wars movies, but in this one the young girl had to do all the flying because the old man didn't know how.
>>
>>64122246
how old are you?
>>
>>64122038
Motherfucker even if you've never seen ANY previous Star Wars movie they show X-Wings in hyperspace in TFA. Do people even pay attention to movies anymore?
>>
>>64122275
he has a pilot skill of 9
>>
What are you talking about? Every time Han was in the Falcon he was flying it. He had her copilot it when Chewie has hurt.
>>
>>64121584
Han said Leia wouldn't like it. Han does crazy shit all the time.

>flies into an asteroid belt
>never tell me the odds

>someone asks if his plan to go to hyperspace in the hanger is even possible
>i never ask that question until after i've done it

Plus it might be a thing only Poe could pull off or it might have to do with some of the illegal shit the Falcon had to smuggle shit on and off planets.
>>
>>64122132
but
A) Han hasn't piloted the falcon in years an he's no spring chicken either, he couldn't remember where the compressor was and rey had to point it out

B)The Falcon is in more of a wreck than usual also having modifications added to her from the previous 2 owners and just coming out of battle from jakku, with years of negligence, dust, age and rey ripping out parts to make bypass fixes.

you are somehow telling me ace pilot poe dameron and his top of the line xwing couldn't make the jump
>>
>>64122275
She was just handling the compressor that some moof-milker installed on the ignition line.
>>
>>64121584
Because shitty writing
>>
>>64122275
Rey just really knew the mechanics well, she's a rookie pilot. Han is one of the best; Vader and Luke were probably the only better pilots in the movies
>>
>>64122132

TIE fighters can also hyperjump mane.

The two seater ones
>>
>>64122038
they did after the battle in this movie
>>
How do tie fighters generate lift in the atmosphere?
>>
>>64122275
she literally just piloted in the beginning, banging it up quite a bit, and then helped with the mods that she knew that fat guy on Jakku made. I want you to leave, Landis
>>
>>64122379
Poe probably could, but he needed a lot of backup. Han didn't know how to handle the compressor because HE DIDN'T INSTALL IT WATCH THE GODDAMN MOVIE. Simon Pegg installed the compressor, which was a dumb thing to do, and Rey knew what he did so she could fix it
>>
>>64122038
They're shown to in Return of the Jedi but people go apeshit over the details and say they were only able to because larger ships were nearby and "carried" them or something
>>
>>64121584
That's JJ's Star Wars version of the transwarp beaming from Star Trek.

>They can now hyperjump from inside a closed hangar to anywhere else
>>
>>64122428
Maybe the new ones can, but the classic TIEs are incapable of hyperspace jumps
>>
In the first Star Wars, didn't Han say you had to be careful flying in hyperspace because you might fly through a sun or something?

But if you can now fly through hyperspace through a door or a shield or whatever no problem.
>>
>>64122451
They don't need to. Star Wars vehicles have lift generators in the atmosphere, which is how you have everything VTOL without needing constant vertical thrust.
>>
>>64122477
my point is that the falcon has been modified extensively and its not in the same working condition since he lost it, you honestly expect me to believe he can make pinpoint jump just because he is familiar with the ship from the past.
>>
If Han can do the calculations wouldn't a computer be able to do them more reliably? What voodoo knowledge can you put into a calculation that a computer couldn't?
>>
>>64122516
Thats why it was so risky when they jumped from the hanger. It was a hail mary shot that added to danger Rey and Han were already in.
>>
>>64122516
He could make it through the shield because of its "fractional refresh"; my guess is the shield isn't constant and "flickers" at a really fast rate, like a fan that appears to be a solid circle. To a fast enough ship, it's transparent
>>
>>64122591
>Thats why it was so risky
So risky absolutely nothing went wrong.
>>
>>64122624
How would he possibly know how to sync with that refresh rate until he was already at the shield?
>>
>>64122038
They literally hyperjump at the end of TFA
>>
>>64122591

why wouldn't they take the 10 seconds to leave the hangar?
>>
>>64122379
>he couldn't remember where the compressor was and rey had to point it out
That was installed after Han lost track of the falcon, why does everyone get this compressor thing wrong?
>>
>>64122576
All he had to do was put on the breaks and pull up. The modifications wouldn't have affected that much. It's just a reflex thing; he had to pull up immediately after exiting hyperspace or they would hit the planet
>>
>>64122650

Maybe if you get through faster than one duty cycle the shield doesn't work.
>>
>>64122709
And X-Wing pilots can't do that? Or shit, just have their R2 units do it automatically.
>>
>>64122650
Maybe the shield is only there for a very small fraction of the time. All of this is just guesswork anyway
>>
>>64122709
>han is an old man
>It's just a reflex thing
>All he had to do was put on the breaks and pull up.
>nuh uh pro Pilots with better equipment cant do that
>>
>>64122761
Han BARELY made it, and he's a better pilot than most of the X-wings have. I don't think astromechs drive
>>
>>64122353
Is this a Star Wars d6 reference?
>>
>>64122797
The Falcon is much faster than an X-wing and we can just say you need to go that fast
>>
Let's assume hyperspeed really is 1.5 the speed of light (to do the whole crossing the entire galaxy shit they show in the movies they'd need to be about a million times faster but whatever).

Let's assume the Starkiller shields extend really far out for some reason. Equivalent to its own radius, 1200 km.

That would leave the Falcon less than a 3 millisecond window between passing through the shields and passing through the base. And Han did that manually?

JJ Abrams is repeating himself, with the absurdity of the Enterprise getting knocked out of warp speed right before Earth.
>>
>>64122853
The ship's computers leave hyperspace, not the pilot
>>
>>64122848
>we can just say you need to go that fast
So you're just going to make shit up and pretend it's canon. Just like every fucking fanboy ever does to defend plotholes. Continuing this conversation is pointless then.

>>64122805
If you think "being a good pilot" equals "being able to pull up" then this conversation definitely needs to end.
>>
>>64122919
ANYTHING we say in this thread is just speculation you fucking autist, they didn't tell us how it worked and none of this is real
>>
File: meesa.jpg (14 KB, 300x228) Image search: [Google]
meesa.jpg
14 KB, 300x228
ITT: A bunch of autists discussing how 'hyperjumping' works in a space fantasy movie where sound travels through a vacuum and space ships use first order instead of second order physics.
>>
>>64122853
The computer got him through, his skill made sure he didn't crash when they came out of hyperspace perpendicular to the ground 30m up.
>>
>>64122624

I kind of like that explanation, although it still means that it was a one of a million shot to get through.
>>
>>64123008
>, they didn't tell us how it worked
Yes, actually, Han straight up said "it stops anything slower than lightspeed from getting through." So yes, X-Wings are fast enough and you were just full of shit. Meanwhile

>>64122894
Han literally says "get ready" and "Now!" and then pulls back on the lightspeed controls, just like they've done every fucking movie. See here for an example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPZigWFyK2o&t=58s

JJ apologists literally trying to contradict the movies to make up for his bullshit. Definitely not posting anymore.
>>
>>64122919
Sublight of course an x-wing could outrun the falcon. What makes the falcon so special is its ridiculous hyperspace drive, it's better than nearly anything else in the galaxy, and also extremely illegal.

or something, its a fucking kids movie, ever talk to a 9 year old recently?
>>
>>64122853
He could approach the planet on a tangent instead of straight on which alleviates the problem of crashing into it.
>>
>>64122038
Did you watch the movie? the hyperjump in the movie.
>>
>>64122848
then han should have said the fastest hyperspace is needed.

the resistance didn't even know what he was going to do, just that he was going to do it lol.

i just rewatched the cam here and he says
"their shields have fractional refresh rate, keeps anything traveling anything slower than light speed from getting through

>keeps anything traveling anything slower than light speed from getting through

>slower than light speed from getting through

>slower than light speed

No super speed that specific ships have listed here

>>64123008
congratulations you have defended poor script writing and thats pretty real.
>>
>>64123272

autism
>>
File: 1450330838581.jpg (24 KB, 459x690) Image search: [Google]
1450330838581.jpg
24 KB, 459x690
>>64122420
>Vader and Luke were probably the only better pilots in the movies

Luke is never made out to be that great of a pilot. In ANH he just describes himself as "not that bad of a pilot, myself", and when put into the cockpit of an X-Wing he manages to make it to the end of the Death Star trench, a feat that he shares with Wedge, at least one other X-Wing pilot, and a Y-Wing pilot - nothing particularly superhuman.

In Empire he pilots a snowspeeder in the evacuation of Hoth but doesn't even manage to take out any AT-ATs before his gunner is killed by crossfire and then he gets shot down himself. Not very impressive. For the rest of the film he just uses his X-Wing as a transport, and as far as I can remember he does the same in RotJ, no combat missions in a cockpit for Luke.

Anakin on the other hand is a top podracer at the age of 9 years old or whatever, single-handedly destroys an entire Trade Federation space station (arguably by accident) a few weeks later. He chases down the shapeshifter assassin lady in Coruscant with relatively little difficulty. Then in RotS he's a big damn hero who multikills a bunch of enemy fighters in the battle of Coruscant, and manages to land General Grievous' flagship on a runway. In ANH, Obi Wan declares to Luke: "Your father was the best star pilot in the galaxy." Vader also runs a train on the entirety of Red and Gold Squadron and is about to kill Luke, until he's taken surprise by Han, presumably because he was overly focused on Luke's presence.

I'd argue that Han is shown to be a significantly better pilot than Luke, and between Vader and Luke it's not even close.
>>
>>64123334
shill
>>
>>64123111
Never tell me the odds!
>>
>>64122495
this to be honest. Man remember when Han was all "Watch it kid, without proper calculations you could bounce into a supernova and that'd end your trip real quick wouldn't it."
Now he's like "Yolo death maneuvers don't tell me the odds remember when i said that well i'm saying it again wooo nostalgia yolo swag!"
>>
>>64122132
>Luke went everywhere in one

So did he like steal it? I can't imagine the ships belong to idividual pilots and not the rebel alliance as a whole
>>
>>64123390
Biggs calls Luke "the hottest bush pilot this side of Mos Eisley" and later "the best bush pilot in the Outer Rim territories".
>>
>>64122132
Why would they need a good pilot when a navicomputer calculates everything?
>>
>>64122507
correct. This is stated by Obi-Wan when they are approaching the Deathstar in A New Hope.
>>
>>64121584
Why did the First Order even need to destroy Luke when they have already built a Death Star and used it?
>>
What doesn't make sense to me is that the First Order obliterates the entire Hosnian system and the New Republic does jack shit.

You'd think they'd mobilize immediately and show up at Starkiller base in force.

Even if their space navy is downgraded they'd still show up really fast considering what the penalty for not acting is.

Another thing is that the Resistance apparently has about 20 X-Wings and no capital ships.
So what the fuck kind of operation is that?

And in the data book it says that the Star Destroyer we see the First Order use is the first one they made in breach of the disarmament treaty. So the First Order has a grand total of one Star Destroyer?

Not to mention the logistic problems of converting a planet into a sun-draining installation.

None of this adds up. It's just nonsense.
>>
>>64123390
Luke Skywalker
>extremely strong force user
>son of extremely strong force user and expert pilot
>Rogue Leader
>not a great pilot
>>
>>64123568
>What doesn't make sense to me is that the First Order obliterates the entire Hosnian system and the New Republic does jack shit.
>You'd think they'd mobilize immediately and show up at Starkiller base in force.
This is exactly what happens in the movie you fucking idiot
>>
>>64123547

yeah which means he's hot shit when it comes to puttering around the wasteland with a beat up T16, not necessarily an amazing fighter pilot
>>
File: image.jpg (451 KB, 3300x3140) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
451 KB, 3300x3140
>>64122477
>>
>>64123568
THEY DESTROYED THE REPUBLIC'S FLEET!!
>>
>>64123643
Resistance =/= New Republic

Also, why does everyone think that was Coruscant? I haven't seen anything say it was, yet. Does the book say it?
>>
>>64123688

It looks the same.
>>
>>64123613
were not saying luke isnt a great pilot
he matched top rebel pilots in assault on first death star with probably much less training than them

but he was below han and way below anakin
>>
>>64123683
so like pearl harbor then, ahh, i see like poetry
>>
>>64123643

Looks like the plot of a Star Wars movie is too complicated for you to follow.
>>
>>64123724
>he matched top rebel pilots
He was the top rebel pilot
>>
>>64123688
Because it looks like coruscant and they don't mention "hosnian system" because JJ abrams is a dumb fuck who can't write for shit. A new hope at least mentions dantooine about 4 or 5 times in a short exchange, and we don't need to know anything about it.
The hosnian system is literally the home of the new republic and that information is not made clear at all.
>>
>>64123560

The first order doesn't give two fucks about Luke. Only Kylel Ren does.
>>
>>64123560
Pls respond
>>
>>64123683
How does a poor as fuck remnant of the empire destroy a galaxy spanning fleet?
>>
>>64123644
I guess you could say Biggs was propping him up.
>>
>>64123683
why would the republic have all their ships on four planets in a universe of systems and planets,
were they all parked on the planet at the time, if in space couldn't they just fly away from the slowly approaching death beam
>>
>>64123805
Just turn off your brain bro
>>
>>64123727
Civilians weren't killed in Pearl Harbor, so not a great parallel
>>
>>64123644
>big man thinks bullseyeing womprats is trivial
Those things are no more than 1 metre across, dude.
>>
>>64123688
>Resistance =/= New Republic
Thats like saying Sinn Fein =/= IRA. Yeah technically you're right but come on.
>>
>>64124029
shitty analogy.
>>
>>64124029

The correct analogy would be the Maquis and the Federation.
>>
>>64124029
Not at all. It's more like Hezbollah and Iran.
>>
>>64123756

all we know from the films is his list of exploits

>blew up the Death Star (great shot kid)
>flew in the battle of Hoth... got shot down

he was also made Rogue Leader but for all we know that could be a position given to the pilot with the most outstanding command/leadership qualities rather than the top aerial ace, which would then fall to Luke by virtue of being "that guy" that blew up the Death Star and also a kinda-sorta-Jedi
>>
>>64123899
>Civilians weren't killed in Pearl Harbor

Attack on Pearl Harbor
68 civilians were killed and 35 wounded

lol wut
>>
>>64122516
The hangar door was OPEN
>>
>>64124103
Maquis would almost be the First Order
>>
>>64124174

meanwhile in TFA

>Hosnian system destroyed
>50,000,000,000 civilians die

not comparable
>>
>>64123517
>this line from the OT matters but this one doesn't
>>
>>64123778
>The hosnian system is literally the home of the new republic and that information is not made clear at all.
So you ignored all of Hux's dialogue about attacking the senate of the new republic, huh?

Yeah you don't learn it's name but it's not important, you just need to know it's where the senate is.
>>
File: lolwut.jpg (74 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
lolwut.jpg
74 KB, 640x480
>>64124174
get proven wrong, rebuttal is muh numbers are you fucking serious
>>
>>64124174
Not by the Japs, those were mostly friendly fire. Republic fleet didn't kill their own civilians.
>>
>>64124538
>you don't learn it's name but it's not important, you just need to know it's where the senate is.

Which we'd assume at being on coruscant because of three prequels and three tv shows which establish the seat of galactic government is on coruscant.

You don't just blow over that the seat galactic power has moved from Selusa Secundis or Arrakis to a generic system you've never heard of before today in a casual line. Then blow it up and not expect people to not lose that information.

There's a reason why rule of three exists in writing.
>>
>>64124170

he was strafing rats in beggars canyon as a kid
>>
>>64124842
>rule of three
what the fuck does that have to do with naming a planet?
>>
>>64122428
Yeah the new ones can, I just read the cross-sections book. The two seaters are "special forces" TIEs and can jump.
>>
>>64125126
I fucking love the sf TIEs, new t-70 x-wings also look awesome
>>
>>64122324
You seriously think most people that went to watch TFA actually watched it? They went because it's hip'n'cool to like SW now.
I went with my friends and I 'm positive I've NEVER seen people taking selfies or pictures of the screen before a movie starts. I've never seen so many lighted phone screens in a theater before.
>>
>>64122275
He was trained by the empire.
>>
>>64122132
>Only a ridiculously good pilot like Han Solo could make an approach at lightspeed and not die
I guess it's all Star Wars Legends now, but hyperdrives didn't function in the "gravity shadow" of stars, planetary bodies, or artificial gravity projectors. The Falcon traveling at lightspeed within a planet's atmosphere is a first for Star Wars.
>>
>>64123517

unfair, you're comparing han before he believed in the force to han after
>>
>>64124545
Hiroyuki pls go
>>
>>64125396
Yeah, especially in the capable hands of Prince Poe.
>>
File: 1435192976331.jpg (84 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1435192976331.jpg
84 KB, 1280x720
>>64121584

Jumping into a gravity well of a planet is almost impossible.

In normal conditions navicomputer would take you out of warp the moment it detects a gravity well.

Falcon is modified to hell and is one of the fastest ships in the galaxy capable of insanely accurate jumps. And Han is an expert at using gravity wells to your advantage. This is how he did that Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs. Abusing gravity wells of black holes.
>>
>>64122451
How do any of the spacecraft designed to be supermanuverable in a frictionless vacuum handle at all in the atmosphere?
>>
File: holy shit.jpg (44 KB, 350x450) Image search: [Google]
holy shit.jpg
44 KB, 350x450
>>64121584
because it's life threatening. its why Han told Lea "you're not going to like it" when she asked him what his plan was
>>
File: InterdictorClassSD-EGTW.jpg (277 KB, 1864x984) Image search: [Google]
InterdictorClassSD-EGTW.jpg
277 KB, 1864x984
>>64126617

They fucked up the lore around hyperspace jumps already.

Entering and exiting hyperspace was an extremely dangerous thing, that's why it was done outside of the gravity well of planets , so you wouldnt disintegrate to death, and that's also why picrelated existed, to create gravity wells to avoid hyperspace jumps

But hey, they can now jum directly from the hangar of a ship (Han's freighter in the beginning) and directly into the atmosphere of a planet that swallows stars (and doesnt collapse while at it).

It's incredible just how much stuff Disney and JJ managed to destroy with TFA, at least the prequels introduced new shit, however bad that was
>>
>>64127235
Interdictors were recanonized recently
>>
>>64127235

Just a reminder that JJ introduced easy planet to planet teleporting in Into Darkness without even thinking twice about it.
>>
>>64127531

JJ should have just given the First Order some red matter, then they wouldn't have needed to build the new death star.
>>
>>64123533
They probably let him keep it. He was the dude who blew up the Death Star without a targeting computer. Being a Jedi has it's additional perks, since he would prove to be a huge tactical advantage on the battlefield. He even took out an AT-AT on foot.

Poe is in the same bucket, without the Force though. He even has a custom paint job.
>>
>>64123807
It's a Republic made of multiple planets. You've gotta spread out your fleet to defend planets that are a part of it. Especially on the one that serves as the capitol, and any neighboring planets around it. Spread too thin though, and it's easy pickings for anybody attacking.
>>
>>64127235
You what had good space travel, the Wing Commander movie, I'm not playing around.
>>
>>64127962
I really feel like there's potential for Poe as a character other than his piloting skills and banter. I hope they can develop him as a non force sensitive character, but even if they do it wouldn't be terrible.
>>
>>64122546
>movie clearly shows tie fighters hovering at one point
>for some reason they decide to go on bombing runs when trying to kill Rey and Finn
One of the dumbest parts of the movie to me
>>
>>64126555
>Tfw he is surprise about TIE's speed and maneuverability
Senpai noticed my waifu
>>
>>64129131
I always thought they could only hover a couple of feets over the terrain, if they wanted to properly fly they need to move forward so no harrier stationed in mid air.
>>
>>64129283
Iirc at Maz's they were hovering several dozen feet in the air, but even if they could only hover a few feet, thats all they needed to shoot at 2 idiots running across an open plain
>>
>>64121584
Lets be thankful SW hasn't introduced time-travel and teleportation. I hope they keep it that way.
>>
>>64122428
All TIE variants were retconned out

Not sure if the ones left in 7 are capable or not
Thread replies: 128
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.