[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just watched this with my sister. I thought it was a pretty
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4
File: phantomcrentist.png (3 MB, 1230x1845) Image search: [Google]
phantomcrentist.png
3 MB, 1230x1845
I just watched this with my sister. I thought it was a pretty good movie with some cool references to the originals. Now what, specifically, do you think makes this a bad movie?
>>
Indeed. The incessant meme that is being perpetuated in popular culture is just the result of coming to terms with how majestically grand the prequels actually are. Imagine something being so out of line in terms of how big and great it is that the pendulum that is the reaction people have toward it swings on the other end of the spectrum in order not to receive a system shock. It's relieving to give in to peer pressure so the one's feeble mind does not fail completely. The path of least resistance has always proved to be the best remedy for a mind and intellect that is not yet ready to grasp the full extent of glory. Just wait OP until evolution has weeded out this gene that accounts for this behavior and humanity will finally see behind the blinding curtain that is reddit what ingenuity they unfortunately missed out on in eons past.
>>
The whole "it's for kids" thing
>>
Episodes 1-3 had many problems as movies but at least they felt creative and had me immersed in the star wars galaxy. TFA simply didnt
>>
>>64103049
Kill yourself turboautist.
>>
>Incest and chill
>>
>>64103095
>had me immersed in the star wars galaxy. TFA simply didnt

true
>>
File: 1451002220883.jpg (56 KB, 342x342) Image search: [Google]
1451002220883.jpg
56 KB, 342x342
>>64103049
>someone expended the mental energy to write this
>>
>Jar Jar, obviously
>aggressive overuse of CGI which has aged poorly
>young Anakin delivering some of the worst lines ever. Almost entirely in the godawful "Anakin accidentally destroys the trade federation blockade" scene
>killing off Darth Maul immediately after killing Qui-Gon

Just off the top of my head. I actually just rewatched it today for the first time in years. Going to watch 2 and 3 tomorrow. Haven't seen either of them in full since their release
>>
>>64102965
Lack of characters, incoherent story, terrible dialogue, Jar Jar Binks, the most underwhelming antagonist ever, space politics, jar jar binks, child actors.
How can one person watch this piece of shit and not notice everything is wrong?
>>
>>64103095
>at least they felt creative
By referencing the original trilogy at every turn and still managing to fuck up the continuity?
>and had me immersed
Fuck off back to /v/
>>
>>64102965
I liked that there wasn't another fucking superweapon driving the tension in the final battle.
>>
>>64102965
It was largely forgettable. All I can remember is that spin off pod racing game that was created for the N64. Same for Ep2. Ep3 is the only one I care enough to re-watch on occasion.
>>
Anakin building C3PO feels like a really ham-fisted way to make sure the droids are in every film. It's not like anybody ever knew Darth Vader for his ability to fix droids or customizing his own TIE.

It also means that Vader has to pretend he's never seen that droid in his life when they meet up in places like Bespin.
On the upshot, though, it changes the context of Threepio's cries of "thank the maker!" so that he's unknowingly praising Darth Vader. And that's kind of funny.
>>
>>64102965
Reddit told me it was epic to hate le bad prequel films! Jar Jar Binks SUCKS, dude!!! Haha man the old movies were so much better. Born in le wrong generation amirite??
>>
>Anakin scenes
>Padme scenes
>Jar Jar

Besides that it's alright I suppose.
>>
>>64103049
>>64104816
Are you fucking mentally disabled?
>>
>>64104831
It was an accident, senpai.
>>
>>64102965
There's not much sense of danger in the movie, even during a war scene.

The battledroids are way too silly and get cut down so easily.
Droideka are fine and creative at least.

The children on tattooine are too happy being slaves.

Not grim enough.
>>
>>64104746
What was the donut droid controller?
>>
>>64104822
Sure, let's avoid discussing the movie itself and talk about your favorite website instead. Because that's what this board is about.
>>
>>64104746
Admittedly it was nice that there wasn't a super weapon involved in the prequels. The closest we get is the existence of cloning.
>>
>>64104874
it wasn't going to blow up the planet
>>
>>64102965
The terrible plot, the bad writing, the bad acting, lacking terrible characters. I mean really after that, it's kind of nitpicking to find anything even good about it.
>>
>>64104917
That's not what defines a superweapon.
>>
I can tolerate the stupid way Jar Jar and the gungans talk.

What I don't like is how stupid he acts and how the people around him don't treat him like the mental incompetent that he clearly is. There's no reason to bring him into town on Tatooine and just keeps sticking his tongue on stuff and getting into trouble. It's not organic comedy, it's extremely forced.
>>
Not a single likeable character
>>
>>64104917
Of course not, they needed to create a trade blockade by having a 2D plane around a 3D sphere, that would set the stage for them to cut communications and stop Amidala from contacting the senate, thereby making Amidala contact the senate to complain about the blockade which they didn't want her to do so she could be forced to sign the treaty which palpatine didn't want to happen so she could vote no confidence for not inspecting the army they suggested they inspect but which would need an investigation to determine if it needed an investigation so that it could be voted on, after his assassins killed her of course.
>>
>>64105043
cut communications? That can only mean one thing!
>>
>>64105062
Someone spilled coffee in the IT closet while playing space invaders!
>>
>>64102965
The only thing good about the prequels were that they were perfect cannon fodder for Auralnauts.
>>
>>64104929
They're usually defined by their destructive capabilities. Besides being what controls all the trade federation droids in the battle, the ship itself isn't that impressive offensively.
>>
File: 1451025759211.gif (2 MB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
1451025759211.gif
2 MB, 300x200
>>64105043
wha...
>>
>>64105270
That's a perfect summary of basically everything in EP1.
>>
>>64104778
You do realize there are more protocol droids that look exactly like c-3p0 than you can count and the reason they aren't fuckin everywhere is so you don't lose sight of c-3p0
>>
>>64104822

this tbqh familia
>>
>>64104970

pleb criticism: the post
>>
>>64102965
Empire > New Hope > Return = Awakens > III > Phantom Menace > Clones
>>
>>64105043

Sheev knew her Jedi bodyguards would stop any assassination attempts but it would still scare her into siding with him, it was all part of his masterplan.
>>
>>64105043
sounds like a 14 year old wrote that.
>>
If the movie was entirely about Obi-wan and Qui-Gon uncovering the threat of the Sith with the Naboo invasion as kind of a side-story, I would have been happier.

Too much Anakin bullshit.

That being said, I don't have an unreasonable Reddit-tier hate of the film and I watch it again every now and again.
>>
>>64106751
I've been flogged for this opinion but..

VI>V>VII>IV=III>II=I
>>
>>64106836
to me clones just has nothing really memorable about it, save for maybe Jango Fett but he was better fleshed out in Bounty Hunter and jus tkind of a shoe in in the movie imo, whereas Phantom Menace at least has a pretty decent lightsaber duel at the end
>>
>>64106836
VII is not better than IV. I can almost guarantee you're younger than 23. VII is quite unabashedly taking major concepts from IV and not doing anything particularly better besides the obvious special effects improvements. VII was not by any means a bad movie, just an entertaining yet uninspired theatre experience.
>>
>>64106836

>VII better than IV and III

just stop
>>
>>64106913
eh, it's honestly kind of the old trilogy thrown into a blender desu
>>
File: images (1).jpg (17 KB, 392x375) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
17 KB, 392x375
>>64106926
>III>VII
>>
>>64106926
III definitely left more of an impact on me than VII. I think that's true for most people, even prequel haters.
>>
>>64107201

Exactly that, my redditor friend.
>>
I wish there was more Qui Gon. I like the stoic strong types.
>>
Get off 4chan SaganFan1983
>>
>>64107312
What a meaningless post.
>>
>>64104869
Battledroids is the worth part of the film
It fucking baffles me that Lucas intentionally sapped all tension out of the action by making incredibly easy soldiers.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.