[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just a friendly reminder that people thought Episode I was good
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 6
File: 423289868.jpg (181 KB, 1031x1500) Image search: [Google]
423289868.jpg
181 KB, 1031x1500
Just a friendly reminder that people thought Episode I was good when it first came out, too.
>>
Nice poster. Shit film though senpai.
>>
It's better than 2 and 3.

Still somewhat watchable at least.

TFA is a really good Star Wars movie.
>>
>>64101865
we liked Darth Maul/lightsaber fight,but we hated Jar jar, hated pod racing, lil Anakin, hated droids being the cannon fodder hated the no real story.

Basically everything other then that it was starwars and had lightsabers, we hated.

We all thought oh it's just setting it up, it'll get better. Nope.
>>
>>64101865
Indeed. The incessant meme that is being perpetuated in popular culture is just the result of coming to terms with how majestically grand the prequels actually are. Imagine something being so out of line in terms of how big and great it is that the pendulum that is the reaction people have toward it swings on the other end of the spectrum in order not to receive a system shock. It's relieving to give in to peer pressure so the one's feeble mind does not fail completely. The path of least resistance has always proved to be the best remedy for a mind and intellect that is not yet ready to grasp the full extent of glory. Just wait OP until evolution has weeded out this gene that accounts for this behavior and humanity will finally see behind the blinding curtain that is reddit what ingenuity they unfortunately missed out on in eons past.
>>
>>64101865
Watched both with my wife's son. He could really relate to Finn and I just like to watch. VII > I
>>
>>64102086
legitimately the most autistic post i've partially read on here
>>
File: 1442516286249.jpg (31 KB, 297x292) Image search: [Google]
1442516286249.jpg
31 KB, 297x292
>>64102086
>actually sitting at the pc and writing this
>>
>>64101865

Yeah and people have had 16 years to learn from that mistake. The amount of youtube reviewers that preface their thoughts by saying "I don't want to get tricked again like I was with phantom menace where I had to see it 8 times to figure out it was shit" or "I don't want to gush and call this a perfect movie because it isn't and no one should delude themselves like so many did with Ep. I" Hell even that fat fuck kevin smith has come around on the prequels and doesn't defend them anymore.
>>
Epsiode 1 was, at the very least, memorable. You can hate the movie but you are never going to forget Jar Jar, Podracing, the ridiculous droids vs gungans fight, Portmans hotness, Quai Gon....

I havent seen the new one yet. But to hear everyone around here tell it, it just isnt....original.
>>
>>64102086
I'm turning this into pasta.
>>
>>64102279
apparently you do forget Darth Maul though, fuck
>>
>>64102086
fedora level is off the charts
>>
>>64101865
we were actually making fun of it before it even came out
>>
>>64101865

At least that movie had likable characters. Obi wan, queen amenda, darth maul etc. on the other hand TFA had NO likable characters and nobody i was able to root for or care about. That's why i liked the phantom menace better.
>>
>>64101865

No they didn't. The consensus was that it was extremely disappointing and they were hopeful that Ep 2 would pick things up.
>>
>>64102449
>No they didn't.

Go read the original reviews. Most of them were actually on positive side.
>>
>>64102449
>The consensus was that it was extremely disappointing and they were hopeful that Ep 2 would pick things up.

So...you mean like Episode VII?
>>
It's still regarded as a decent movie. I think a vast majority of the prequel hate is directed at Attack of the Clones.
>>
>>64102279
This is bait.
>>
>>64102511

>The film received seven Golden Raspberry Award (Razzie) nominations for Worst Picture, Worst Director, Worst Screenplay, Worst Supporting Actor (Jake Lloyd as Anakin), Worst Supporting Actress (Sofia Coppola as Saché), Worst Screen Couple (Jake Lloyd and Natalie Portman), and Jar Jar Binks actor Ahmed Best won the Worst Supporting Actor category.

You can literally look it up on wikipedia, google "Phantom Menace original reception", or look at youtube videos or documentaries like George Lucas vs the World. People didn't hate it, that came later, but to say that the reception was good it's a massive overstatement.
>>
File: DarthScorpionKing-SWE.png (274 KB, 550x525) Image search: [Google]
DarthScorpionKing-SWE.png
274 KB, 550x525
Phantom Menace is my second favorite film in the series. I love the battle droids, Based Ewan and Taken man were probably the best Jedi duo ever, the small poetry shit like Anakin building 3P0 etc. Darth Maul was cool as a one off mercenary type character that didn't need to come back in a kid's cartoon. Gungans aren't even that bad, there's way worse meme shit around these days like Groot or some gay garbage like that, atleast Lucas was pioneering CGI with Jar Jar ya know
>>
>>64102086
>this is what George Lucas actually believes
>>
>>64101865
>Jar Jar mostly in shadow

confirmed
>>
>>64102052

>hating pod racing

man, that is some straight up ass burger stuff right there
>>
>>64101865
I remember what my parents said in the pizza hut right after seeing the movie, clear as day. They were both Star Wars fans and got me into Star Wars at a very young age. They liked the Pod Race, and literally nothing else. My father reviled Jar Jar. I liked the Pod Race and the lightsaber fight and that was it.
>>
>>64101865

why can't /tv/ cope with the fact that Force Awakens was a good movie? It's literally everything anyone could've hoped for, and even if you're hellbent on the idea that it's a rip off of IV, why is that an argument for it being bad? Unoriginal, maybe, but unenjoyable?

At this point I feel like the movie could've literally been Citizen Kane and /tv/ still would've hated it.
>>
>>64102052
>hated pod racing

Nigga, that's probably one of the most memorable action sequences in the entire PT. Only a fucking faggot edgelord would say they hated the podracing scene.
>>
>>64102686

I said original reviews. Not the 6-months-later-and-realizing-how-bad-it-was award shows.

Also,
>Razzie
Literally the edglelords the award show.
>>
>>64101865
Everyone hated this movie when it came out. I remember people walking out during the pod-racing scene and not coming back.

Though I do remember people did like Revenge of the Sith when it first came out.People actually clapped at the end at the theater I watched it in.
>>
>>64102086
This board is priceless.
>>
>>64103035

Kid you're just in denial, look it up yourself. The very very initial I-just-walked-out-of-the-movie-theater reaction was lukewarm at the very best, and when the reviews started coming out the consensus was that the movie was a disappointment mostly pointing out that the only good things were the podrace and the final lightsaber fight.
>>
>>64102851

>tv is one person

Why can't you deal with the fact that some people just didn't like it? Jesus Christ.
>>
File: mqdefault.jpg (25 KB, 600x327) Image search: [Google]
mqdefault.jpg
25 KB, 600x327
>>64103141
>People actually clapped at the end at the theater I watched it in.

What kind of faggot town with shit-tier taste did you watch this movie in?
>>
i haven't watched it since i was a little kid but i loved it then

i do remember people older than me hating it when it came out though. not even just star wars fans, it was pretty much the general consensus
>>
>>64103203
it's not that some people didn't like it, it's that the majority of threads made about star wars are pedantic complaints that are so transparently contrarian for the sake of it.

If people don't like it then stop fucking posting about it, or post in already made Star Wars hate threads. Fucking annoying that /tv/ is literally /starwars/ right now and yet everyone claims to dislike the only thing they're talking about.
>>
>>64103179
>look it up yourself.

I did:

http://www.starwars.com/news/critical-opinion-the-phantom-menace-original-reviews
>>
>>64103387
>http://www.starwars.com/news/critical-opinion-the-phantom-menace-original-reviews

well that is a unbiased source if I have ever seen one
>>
>>64103508

You can argue cherry picking all day, but the bottom line is that even renowned SW fans like Kevin Smith liked it at first.
>>
>>64103303

Why does this make you angry when that's literally all tv ever does? Be contrarian faggots. If you want to discuss movies with people with taste go reddit or something. This place is filled with angry faggots that have to hate popular shit. It doesn't bother me which is why i like this place.
>>
>>64101865
TPM is pretty easily the best prequel, it feels like a genuine (albeit mediocre) Star Wars movie much more than II and III. Jar Jar is an abomination and that kid who plays Anakin is a little shit but other than that there's nothing really awful. It's also much more visually impressive than the other prequels and it's the last movie Lucas made before he went overboard with CGI. The fight at the end is brilliant, the only part of the prequels that's on par with the originals.

Right now I think TFA is the best since Empire but I need to watch it a few more times to figure out if I'm just buying into the hype/nostaligia.
>>
>>64103626
Exactly, fuck off back to reddit if you're not in for the memes.
>>
>>64103387

>starwars.com

and the reviews aren't particularly glowing, the only one that were actually positive were Kevin Smith who by admission says he went in with low expectations and Roger Ebert

>The actors are wallpaper, the jokes are juvenile, there’s no romance, and the dialogue lands with the thud of a computer-instruction manual. But it’s useless to criticize the visual astonishment that is Star Wars – Episode I: The Phantom Menae. -Rolling Stones
>>
>>64102086
This is REALLY autistic but congratulations on being the first person on 4chan I've seen using the word "meme" correctly.
>>
>>64103684
>and the reviews aren't particularly glowing

You mean like Episode VII?
>>
>>64103688
It's pasta.
>>
>>64101865
>>64102511
Stop lying. Anyone can go to Rotten Tomatoes and see that you're full of shit. (Note that several of the review dates on RT are inaccurate. If you click the actual review links, you'll see that most of the reviews are indeed from right around the release of TPM.)
>>
>>64103789

We're not talking about 7, we're talking about the reception of episode 1, which that anon keeps on insisting that it was positive.
>>
>>64102052
>we
this isn't reddit, fuck off
>>
File: 1425344652731.jpg (40 KB, 722x349) Image search: [Google]
1425344652731.jpg
40 KB, 722x349
>>64101865
The prequels turned out to be terrible because fan outcries persuaded Lucas to alter the plot. Jar Jar was meant to be a sith lord and the ultimate power. Lucas was building an immense twist and the fans derailed this before it could reach its climax, resulting in a rushed alter plot line with new meaningless characters and meaningless outcomes.
>>
>>64104192
This, fuck the autists "le real SW fans lmao xD"

They don't know shit about vision
>>
>>64104230
this is one of the most vaguely pretentious things i've read in awhile
>>
>>64102052
There was nothing wrong with droids being fodder. The worked well as a shear numbers force (with droidekas being an exception) and were shown to be effective until their control ship was destroyed.

The only thing I didn't like was how they replaced the slim roger-roger droids with the silver battle droids, the first lot had more character and their activation sequence infront of the gungans was awesome.
>>
>>64102003
>TFA is a really good Star Wars movie.
Respectfully, I disagree and question your intelligence.
>>
>>64104627
If you've ever seen the Clone Wars TV show, you'd realize that those droids were idiots.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.