[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is Marvel so much more popular than DC?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 8
File: civilwar.png (216 KB, 1094x502) Image search: [Google]
civilwar.png
216 KB, 1094x502
Why is Marvel so much more popular than DC?
>>
>>64084656
Same reason why Justin Bieber is more popular than actual musicians.
>>
MCU is more light and family friendly so appeals to little kiddies and parents as well as general audiences

DCU is dead serious grimdark so only really appeals to genre fans
>>
File: spl227887_0021.jpg (68 KB, 328x490) Image search: [Google]
spl227887_0021.jpg
68 KB, 328x490
>>64084679
>>
>>64084656
BvS trailer has more views, stupid marveldrone
>>
because people are boycotting DC for killing off a certain big guy-hating no friends allowed hero
>>
>>64084779
>DCU is dead serious grimdark

Like The Flash or Smallville?
>>
File: 1450922218771.png (653 KB, 600x539) Image search: [Google]
1450922218771.png
653 KB, 600x539
>>64084779
>>64084679

/this

/thread
>>
>>64084656
exciting, quippy, colorful
>>
>>64085146
>DCU
>>
>>64085184
>DC Universe
>>
File: 23523526.jpg (60 KB, 635x312) Image search: [Google]
23523526.jpg
60 KB, 635x312
>half the views
>more dislikes

JUST FUCK OUR SHIT UP!!
>>
>>64084656
>Why is Marvel so much more popular than DC?

Cause Marvel embraces it's comic roots and makes films that follow the source material more than DC. Marvel changes stuff but for the most part it's stuff that doesn't effect the characters too much.

DC is just taking it's characters and trying to shoehorn them into a Batman-ish "dark and gritty" universe since they believe that's the only way to get the general public to like them, despite the fact that Marvel has proven that theory to be false.
>>
>>64084656
Because all DC movies so far have been shit? If they did something like the animated Batman series or Batman Beyond, or that Superman show, they'd be much popular. They decided to make schlock instead.
>>
>>64085172
Superman: Alcoholism Enabler
>>
>>64085370
Not saying Marvel isn't schlock but they build the MCU on a few solid movies until they were big enough they could reduce production values and still have people see it. The best DC did was Batman Begins, but that's it. Green Lantern? Shit. Man of Steel? Shit.
>>
>>64084656
because that was a shitty bvs trailer

had it been similar in quality to the first trailer, I reckon they'd be more even
>>
I don't read comics, but for me Marvel has a large variety of characters that can be adapted into lots of movies.

DC has Batman.

Oh yes, there's superman, the most boring man in the world. You'll immediately say that he has a lot fo depth - but that's only if you READ about it. You can't get that across in a movie at all.

Now allow me to go through their characters by what someone who hasn't read the comics would think:

Watchmen? Sure, good for a 2deep4u movie. Not good for a popular one.

Aquaman? Not even gonna bother explaining.

The Flash? No way could a movie work based on his power, because only comics can somehow contain and base off of stupid stuff that doesn't make much sense.

Wonder woman is hardly creative as well, she seems to be "sort of magical and powerful, also an amazon". What kind of movie will you have?

Green arrow is a possibility, but that's already been proven to be "meh".

So that's about it. They're just....well they're fine, but they're not colorful enough to base movies on. People underestimate how much the variety of marvel characters matters - even one Thor is tied to something we already know (norse mythology), everything is all colorful, his powers are well defined (lightning, flight, strength).

What I'm probably trying to say is that, while just as good, DC seems to be bland, gritty and dark, while Marvel is childish, colorful and has lots of variety. We go to the movies largely for the latter.
>>
DC should just stick to TV like they always have
>>
>>64085689
>I don't read comics

Stopped reading right there
>>
>>64085689
>Marvel
>95% of heroes are average joes who suddenly get powers
>variety
>>
>>64085734
Because surely only the opinion of those that read comics matters on the movie.

Because surely marvel movies are only watched by those who read the comics.
>>
>>64084656
Because it's pleb fuck.
Same reasons that there are more leddit users than 4chin ones.
>>
File: sixpack is a superhero.jpg (551 KB, 1074x1650) Image search: [Google]
sixpack is a superhero.jpg
551 KB, 1074x1650
>>64085172
>>64085425

>DC will never make a movie about Sixpack+co
>>
>>64084656
Because marvel movies have more relatable characters and scaled down plots compared to DC movies

BvS is literally a god fighting a gloomy billionaire
>>
>>64085780
And you're not an average joe that wants to suddenly get powers, you're a god that doesn't fit in or something?
>>
>>64085344
>Marvel embraces it's comic roots and makes films that follow the source material
>can't do Mandarin or Ultron right
>butcher Tony's alcoholism storyline
but oh no, Batman is too grimdark, the guy who's parents got gunned down in front of him and want to strike fear in the hearts of criminals is not wearing a light blue cowl and spouting cheesy quips
DC ruined it
>>
>>64085780
>DC
>95% of heroes are super rich and succesful at everything before they get powers

There's a reason people identify with Marvel characters better, they actually have flaws and seem like actual people.
>>
File: 1294098602691.jpg (37 KB, 314x385) Image search: [Google]
1294098602691.jpg
37 KB, 314x385
>>64086051
>but oh no

I didn't say they were 100% accurate.
>>
>>64084656

Speaking as someone who was a big fan of DC and didn't know much about Marvel pre-MCU, but post-MCU I love all things MARVEL and just don't care for DC anymore.

The concept of the DC universe just seems like a kid pretending to be an adult. Childish.

Secret identities for damn near all heroes, a bunch of fake US cities, Dumb characters like Batman when you take the time to actually think about it. No kill policies built into the essence of their main characters ect.... ect....

All just does not translate to live action well when viewed with an adult mind.

Marvel knows how goofy this stuff is and the way they decided to tackle it is by making compelling and entertaining characters. Seemingly at will...

And their universe isn't bogged down by dumb shit like in DC's.
>>
>>64085917
Why live?
>>
File: OPM_Characters.png (1 MB, 800x840) Image search: [Google]
OPM_Characters.png
1 MB, 800x840
The Japanese even made a better contemporary version of Superman. It's not about being dark and gritty. They don't even know why dark and gritty is successful. No, it's not about the violence and gore as well. They forgot it's all about being human.
>>
marvel movies are boring as fuck, and they all look and sound bland and shitty
>>
>>64086396
>>64086396
>compelling and entertaining characters.
what
>>
File: DC.png (39 KB, 853x269) Image search: [Google]
DC.png
39 KB, 853x269
>>64084656
>cherry picking
>>
>>64084656
>less view than Suicide Squad
Marvelcucks on suicide watch
>>
>>64085689
>the flash, no way a movie could work

it's got a tv series and it's pretty decent you retard
>>
>>64088817
Those have been out for years now.
>>
>>64085217
>people's opinions matter when it suits my narrative
>>
>>64086103
>There's a reason people identify with Marvel characters better, they actually have flaws and seem like actual people.
Its been like that forever. DC feels like stories about the greek gods, where marvel feels like stories about the greek demigods.
Guess which one is easier to swallow?
>>
>>64089451
They've been out since Mid July, but trailers don't get huge amounts of views once you get past the first month or so.
>>
>People still acting like the difference between Marvel and DC is that Marvel embraces comic book ridiculousness, and DC is all grimdark and "realistic."

They both embrace ridiculousness, but DC takes it at face value while Marvel insists on elbowing you in the ribs every ten minutes and going "Lol, isn't this kooky? Aren't you having fun?"
>>
Because disney knows how to make broadly appealing family entertainment.
>>
Because there are more plebs than real human beans in the world
>>
>>64086700
Made me reply/8

Read all star superman mate
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.