[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What did you think of the lobster? I'm Greek and watched
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
File: colin-farrell-in-the-lobster.jpg (4 MB, 3866x5477) Image search: [Google]
colin-farrell-in-the-lobster.jpg
4 MB, 3866x5477
What did you think of the lobster?
I'm Greek and watched Dogtooth. Greeks don't speak like that. The actors in both films pause and then tell the line like robots, like they have no emotions.
Lanthimos did that in both pictures and three languages (Greek, English and French). Is it a choice with a meaning or just a pretentious trick?
>>
It's a stylistic decision, like Scarlet Johnson's performance in Under the Skin. I personally found it funny and somewhat unsettling, which I believe is the intent.
>>
I think at least for the Lobster it's intentional, cuz it's all about forced relationships and how contrived and unnatural they are
>>
It's called "deadpan" and it's a style

Talking about Greeks - did anyone else felt like this movie a lot like a myth? Ending especially, with him bling himself for love
>>
>>64061994
But do Greeks have sex with their sisters?
>>
>>64062208

Well, not a myth, an ancient tragedy, Idippodas blinded himself after fucking his mother. But I don't see the connection.
>>
Literally normies get out the half movie
>>
>>64062319
Well, i thought that whole plot of "if you don't have a couple, you'll turn into an animal" and the way characters just shrugged off complete insanity that was happening around them was very old fairytales/myth-like.

Like the whole brother is a dog and wife killed him to test Farell's love scene is a specific type of craziness that happened all the time in myths
>>
>>64062208
he didnt blind himself, the final shot is her sitting alone, implying he left her there.
>>
>>64061994
I thought it was really good for the most part. Some of the satire was a bit on the nose, but I can forgive it because it was still funnier than any other comedy this year.
>>
>>64062514
Eh, i think it's supposed to be ambitious, he can't blind himself in 2 minutes, it takes time. He wasn't THAT scared or conflicted either, was just preparing himself. I actually re-watched the scene looking at the background searching for him and didn't find anything
>>
>>64061994
>it is supposed to be a metaphor for the EU
safety in numbers messages
you cant live alone
only couples have access to nice consumer goods
children are refugees
people going to extreme links to stay in
the girl who tried to kill herself but just made things worse is greece
the hotel overseer woman is germany
rigid control that make no sense and impede the natural order of things
micro/over regulation of peoples daily lives
>>
>>64062610
I re-watched it last night. You don't see him leave, but you don't hear any screams of agony from the act (the napkins in his mouth would not have muffled the screams enough). Again the last shot shows her growing worried and increasingly scared that he has not yet returned. Maybe he bled out.
>>
>>64062554
Olivia Coleman saying "if you start having problems as a couple, contact us, we'll assign you a kid, it always helps" was probably the hardest i laughed this year
>>
>>64062820
Why would i want a kiss from a silly little girl. (kicks leg). There, now with that limp you can be more like your father.
>>
>>64062870
Weisz pretending that nothing happened and that she can still see was fucking hilarious too, even though that was much more standard(still dark though) comedy
>>
>>64062668
>the girl who tried to kill herself but just made things worse is greece
Yeah in a movie with 2 Greek actresses, they cast a Scottish woman to represent Greece
>>
>>64062870
This made me laugh out loud. Had to pause the movie.
>>
>>64063086
That fucking suicide scene was Under The Skin-levels disturbing
>>
It's super funny (silent rave is a perfect sight gag in a wholly original context) but it's essentially dogtooth 1.5

The structure, drama and ending is exactly the same

I thought dogtooth was a masterpiece so i left the cinema pretty disappointed that he essentially did it again
>>
Was anyone else pissed they never show the red intercourse?
>>
The bit where he's trying to convince the heartless lady that he's heartless too is absolutely hilarious. The bit where he kicks the little girl, my god...it caught me completely off guard.
>>
So why was David half buried and then let go while Weisz got blinded? Why weren't they subjected to something like >>64063314? They clearly did more than flirt, from the journal and how they started making out during the guitar performance.
>>
>>64062319
>Idippodas
Are you fucking illiterate, familia?
>>
>>64063086
interesting interpretation desu
>>
>>64063465
i think she was jealous of Weisz and she saw that they could communicate without speaking so the red kiss would only strengthen their bond. so instead she takes away the common bond the couple shares, short sightedness.
>>
>>64063731
Thanks
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.