[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did Obi-Wan call Vader 'Darth?'
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: 20151224_134130.png (477 KB, 1052x592) Image search: [Google]
20151224_134130.png
477 KB, 1052x592
Why did Obi-Wan call Vader 'Darth?'
>>
>>64048224
They were good friends.
>>
>>64048224
Darth refers to those of a lower class, but I think in this case be meant lower ground.
>>
>>64048224
Darth being a title rather than a name hadn't been established at that point.
>>
>>64048583
To be fair, I highly doubt Obi-Wan ever knew that 'Darth' was a title, he probably thought it was some honorary Sith name.
>>
It's kind of like when Luke call the Emperor "Your Highness"
>>
It was bantz, he was taking the piss, m8
>>
Mocking his friend and protege by calling him his adopted name
>>
>>64048224

As an insult. He's emphasizing that he's a Darth now and is refusing to call him by his actual name. Being addressed by his title is dehumanizing.
>>
>>64048224
To point out he is just one of the many that fell to the dark side.

He isn't special he is just one of the many "Darth" like Darth Maul, Darth Tryanus, Darth whatever.
>>
>>64048224
Because Lucas meant it to be an actual name at the time and not a title.
>>
On The Apprentice (UK) why did they call Alan Sugar "Sir Alan" when he was only a knight, but "Lord Sugar" when he became a lord?
>>
>>64048678

Negro, Obi-Wan met Darth Tyrannus and Darth Sidious personally.
>>
Because he actually loves to dart
>>
Because he was being a sarcastic cunt.

>Only a master of evil, 'Darth'.
>>
>A young Jedi named Darth Vader, who was a pupil of mine until he turned to evil, helped the Empire hunt down and destroy the Jedi knights.

It was his name before it was a title. He was conceived as an separate character than Anakin Skywalker, whom he did literally betray and murder (and not just from a certain point of view).

I wonder what star wars would be if Lucas had kept to this idea. ESB can be the same, but RotJ would reveal Vader was lying to plant the seeds of doubt in Luke's head.
>>
>>64049578
>I wonder what Star wars would be if Lucas had kept to this idea.

Lucas did stick to this idea, for a time. Read Crystal of the Mind's Eye by Alan Dean Foster.

20th Century Fox had contingencies for if Star Wars bombed completely. They required George Lucas to write a screenplay for a low-budget sequel if the movie tanked at the box office. This screenplay was turned into a novel by Alan Dean Foster.

Han and Chewie do not appear in the story, Luke and Leia are not brother and sister, and Darth Vader is not Luke's father in this version. Also, the Force is generated by some kind of giant crystal that appears in the novel.

It was a really shitty screenplay and novel compared to Empire Strikes Back

When Star Wars was a huge hit, 20th Century Fox invested a lot of money into production, direction, etc so the shitty B-grade sequel never happened
>>
>>64050226
Splinter of the Mind's Eye, not Crystal
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.