[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was this any good?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 12
File: 1450844229127.jpg (157 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1450844229127.jpg
157 KB, 1920x1080
Was this any good?
>>
>>64035816
yes
>>
>>64035816
GOAT MOTY
>>
It's good.
>>
Fucking amazing, just finished watching it. Stunning shots.
>>
>>64035973
Yeah, I'd like to see it in theaters just for the bear scene.
>>
>>64035816
my favorite film this year
>>
Absolutely beautiful cinematography
>>
should I watch the screener or wait till 16jan to watch it
>>
>>64035857
>>64035865
>>64035950
>>64035973
>>64035990
>>64036010
>>64036037
Hi Iñarritu
>>
>>64036062
Both desu
>>
>>64035816
of course, don't you even know how much pottery Dicaprio had to make over the months in FREEZING cold whether at the end of the year because Oscar B8? he was sitting on that wheel mashing that peddle like there was no tomorrow some of the finest pieces i've ever laid eyes on and in sub zero temperatures no less
>>
>>64036079
hello reddit
>>
>>64036079
hi, reddit
>>
>>64036103
Hi Leo
>>64036121
Hi Tom
>>
>>64036172
always nice to meet a fan
>>
>>64035816
Helped with my insomnia, so in that sense yeah.
>>
File: revbear.jpg (36 KB, 589x287) Image search: [Google]
revbear.jpg
36 KB, 589x287
>>64035990
this bear-like thing?
>>
Best of 2015
>>
>>64036358
Nope
>>
Best movie i've seen all year
it certainly washed the bad taste of hateful eight out of my mouth
>>
Did you know they shot the entire movie in one long shot? And they didn't use any artificial lighting at all in the movie
>>
>>64036515
Are you referring to the taste of warm, black dingus?
>>
>>64036552
and it took 12 years to make
>>
File: image.jpg (22 KB, 190x318) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22 KB, 190x318
>>64035816
Does he appear in the movie?
>>
>>64035816
2nd best of the year
>>
File: 2015-12-24_12-33-13.png (3 KB, 151x60) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-24_12-33-13.png
3 KB, 151x60
literally how
the movie is garbage
>>
Tom Hardy was one of the gems in this film.
Hoping he'll win supporting actor

>>64036996
>listening to IMDB, Rotten Tomatoes, Metacritic
kek
>>
>>64036996
>it has a higher score than h8ful 8
Also it's not yet released everywhere so not all critics have seen it.
I'm pretty sure the final imdb rating will be 7.5 since it's really fuking slow paced
>>
>>64035816
I loved it
Favorite movie of the year. My only problem is the cheesy floating ghost wife
>>
A cliche revenge story good ? Really ? I thought it was Horrible.
>>
>>64037865
> he watches movies for clever plots
how pleb can you get
>>
>>64035816
some nature shots are amazing but it felt like he's crawling around like 65% of the movie and the rest is him hunting motherfuckers
>>
>>64035816
link?
>>
>>64036926
top fucking quality post
>>
>>64038087

>he rates movie only on the way they look and how hard they pretend to me smart.

i bet you enjoy the films of inaritu
>>
>>64035816
It was great up until the final act which is so ridiculously convenient that it destroys your immersion and undermines all of the tension the film spends the previous 2 hours building.
>>
>2 hours 34 mins

seriously?

who sits through a film that long?
>>
>>64035816

Great man vs nature story, decent revenge flick, looked really good, leads are all doing good work, it has bears AND wolves, Leo rides a horse off a cliff, and the French are one dimensional villains who get fucked over completely.

It's perfect.
>>
Movie of the year if it hadnt been for the ridiculous indian-british race mixing subplot

Has a couple good scenes, the bear attack was rather epic
>>
>>64039949
Avengers 1 and 2 were 2 hours 30.
LoTR was 3 hours
>>
This thread looks like one of those fake movie pages with a bunch of bots on the comments.
>>
neo-cinephile middle brow trash for uncultured swine to feel "sophisticated" in between seeing h8ful 8 and Pleb Wars: Disney's Bank Account Awakens
>>
>>64038087
Inaritu's understanding of visual storytelling is film school-level, which is precisely why 19-year-olds on this board and people who care about Oscars like him. They're incapable of appreciating anything more subtle or intelligent.

Inarritu is as pleb as it gets after blockbuster shit, little Timmy. Protip: if you go to reddit, you won't be bothered by people who have non-pleb opinions that upset you :^)
>>
File: The Time Has Come.png (63 KB, 1000x920) Image search: [Google]
The Time Has Come.png
63 KB, 1000x920
>The Revenant, the new Leonardo DiCaprio western, bids to be also the last western. That once-quintessential Hollywood genre has lost its popularity to sci-fi and comic-book flicks that trendily dramatize social tensions — along with offering escape into perpetual adolescence. The Revenant reworks the older westerns’ exploration of American history, and of the issues arising from the clash between civilization and perceived wilderness, into a spectacle replete with contemporary social distress. That makes it an Obama western.

>DiCaprio’s Hugh Glass, a guide and hunter for a fur-trading expedition in the 1820s, humbly embodies the country’s humane, multicultural hopes, yet he’s stuck amid venal, weak-principled countrymen. Burdened with the racist legacy of European settlers, Glass is haunted by the killing of his Pawnee wife and guards his biracial son. Glass’s ambivalence and fortitude are tested by his trouble with John Fitzgerald (Tom Hardy), a low-life among the government-sanctioned trappers. The unhinged, Bible-quoting carnivore Fitzgerald is a lying, killing incarnation of America’s evils.

>The epic, overlong murderous opposition between Glass and Fitzgerald reveals perfidious man in nature, and nature as alienating as it is “red in tooth and claw.” Their conflict symbolizes the war between civility and savagery, though it is not the classic sheriff-vs.-outlaw antagonism. In this End of the West western, the greed, selfishness, and brutal cynicism come straight out of our contemporary paranoid atmosphere. The Revenant portrays the U.S. as a ghost of its once idealized, rough-hewn self, a nation troubled by its treacherous past while slogging through an onerous, deadly present — thus, an Obama allegory.
>>
File: The Gay Republican Negro.jpg (94 KB, 300x279) Image search: [Google]
The Gay Republican Negro.jpg
94 KB, 300x279
>Oscar-winning Mexican director Alejandro González Iñárritu doesn’t apologize for American history; he even avoids the Mexican–American War and the policies of European colonization that might specifically explain Manifest Destiny. Yet, by playing a Clooney–Damon–Pitt game, Iñárritu uses the western genre for a simplified critique of American temperament: Glass always physically conflicts with threatening forces, including bedrock, redneck conservatism.

>His virtue is lamely represented by romantic memories and race-conscious fatherhood. (“They don’t hear your voice, they only see your skin,” he warns his teenage son.) His struggle is epitomized in a showpiece battle with a grizzly bear. It’s like a superhero origin myth via computer-generated F/X. Glass is left nearly dead, prey to Fitzgerald’s ruthlessness. Fisheye close-ups of DiCaprio in agony recall A Clockwork Orange’s cynicism, and his snowy travails repeat that Quaalude crawl in The Wolf of Wall Street. After relentless melodramatic setbacks, phenomenal resilience wins him revenge.

>Remember how Vietnam-era westerns (Little Big Man, Soldier Blue, Bite the Bullet, High Plains Drifter) expressed liberal American guilt? Well, the trendy ISIS-era politics of Iñárritu’s western fantasy prohibit cathartic heroism. This frustration and reticence add to The Revenant’s Obama aspect. DiCaprio and the prodigious Tom Hardy sink into their characters’ obstinacy to show white American moral descent (while the knowing Native Americans bide their time stereotypically — a millennial flip of their passivity in Dances with Wolves). After ear-chewing combat with Fitzgerald, similar to Laurence Olivier and Gregory Peck’s mauling each other in The Boys from Brazil, Glass stares at the audience with a look of “This is not who we are” hopelessness.
>>
>>64040383
>an Obama western

I fucking love Armond "Based Authentic Cinephile" White, but he goes a bit far sometimes reaching to see political subtext.
>>
File: white.jpg (22 KB, 300x279) Image search: [Google]
white.jpg
22 KB, 300x279
>The Revenant is an accusatory western. Iñárritu forces the audience to judge imperialism, starting with Emmanuel Lubezki’s preening, relentless camera (just as in last year’s dreadful Birdman) weaving among the corrupt characters. Lubezki’s photography is pellucid, as always, but whereas he achieved a newly discovered, paradisiacal look for Terrence Malick’s The New World, the American wild here seems inhospitable, dangerous. Before the mano a mano brawl, a Bierstadt-worthy sun ray moves through a mountain pass. The fleeting, stunning sight suggests a dying of light, a nation’s coming eclipse.

Go see Macbeth instead
>>
>>64040142
So I should go see it then?
>>
>>64035816
tom hardy totally killed it, although to much Bane in his performance
>>
anyone else thought if felt like an uglier more boring version of new world?
>>
>>64040532
Absolutely fucking yes
>>
>>64035816
It's gonna flop so fucking hard.
It budget is bigger than Inarritus most successful movie.
It's competition is a 40 million dollar Tarantino movie and motherfucking Star Wars.
>>
>>64040383
>>64040468
>>64040515
I have no idea if he likes the movie or not.
I don't even know if he likes Obama or not
>>
>>64040383

>sci-fi and comic-book flicks
>flicks

Armond dishes out another truth
>>
>>64040532
I thought it was a better more tolerable new world
>>
File: 1443865382110.png (174 KB, 416x396) Image search: [Google]
1443865382110.png
174 KB, 416x396
>>64036926
isnt that razor from dota
>>
>>64040710
PLEASE fuck off
>>
boring I fell asleep after his son died and woke up when he left revenge to god
>>
I'm fully convinced that the vocal minority that dislike this film are either pleb fucks that can't deal with visual films with little dialogue or only dislike it because they hate Leo
>>
>goes into the woods with his buddies
>the leave him for dead
> he has superhero strength and survives everything
>makes it back to his buddies

Why is this good again? It's 'realistic' but not really.
>>
>>64040615
No
He doesn't
>>
>>64040911

Oh in my opinion is nowhere near realistic, Leo would have died in the exact second the bear hits him, that first hit was already enough, and then later the bear fucking jumps on him, Leo would be at least paraplegic and would never walk again tbqhf.
>>
>>64040900
>he thinks a movie is automatically not "pleb" simply because of the sparse dialogue and "visual nature"

There are amazing movies that use visual storytelling that's integrated intelligently with characterization and themes. Innaritu has no ability to do that. He's an "artistic filmmaker" for people who take Oscars seriously and would actually pay to see Star Wars.

Hope you're enjoying your first 6 months of "being into movies."
>>
>>64040911
>>64040957
But this actually happened, Leo's just too much of a whiny manbaby to make it work
>>
I dont know. I still think his Aviator performance was better. Its a disgrace that he didnt win it for that one.
>>
>>64041058
>trying this hard to seem patrician
>this much mental gymnastics to justify contrarianism

kek
How's tenth grade going? Glad to be off for the holidays?
>>
It was really good, however, the scene where Glass is talking about going to kill Fitzgerald withe the captain had such cliche dialogue that it truly brings down the rest of the film. I think what happened here is that Iñarritu was in the cutting room, heard the lines, and thought that they sounded good in Spanish, thus they must be good in English which is not at all the case. I really wish somebody who knows the nuances of English would have been present to tell him that the lines were bad. Leo also should have done more to deliver them in an elevated manner.

Bear scene was gnarly and we'll done. The scene where Fitzgerald asks glass to blink is also very well done. Finally, the fight was very well shot and truly made one feel present.
>>
>>64041147
sure thing kid. enjoy your "patrician" films with sparse dialogue and pretty cinematography. You're such a cinephile.
>>
>>64040911
>not realistic
>Glass did actually survive a bear mauling and crawled miles for revenge
>not realistic

This is the best bait for this movie
>>
Good not great. Apart from lubezkis genius shots the film is completely soulless and the script more clichéd and simplistic than gravity. It's also way too long. Innaruto is even more self indulgent than in Birdman. 3.5/5 for acting and cinematography alone
>>
half an hour in and its super boring so far

does it get better
>>
>>64041355

Crawled miles for revenge? The real Glass survived 2 months in the wilderness with a broken leg, badly wounded, with festering open wounds, crawled all the way back to his base camp. The real Glass had nothing but the bear pelt they buried him with, no canteen, no rifle, no knife. He had to remove the bark from trees to hunt for maggots that would eat the puss from his open wounds.

They didnt sew him up either like they did in the movie.
>>
it's the best movie of the year by a mile. the best direction, actor and supporting actor.

all those wasted oscar attempts with scorsesmeme at the helm. if leo doesn't get one this time he might as well give up.
>>
It's technically capeshit set in historical times with cliché plot and Instagram-esque imagery (see: Malick).
>>
File: 0287 - 9BmNooI.png (18 KB, 580x409) Image search: [Google]
0287 - 9BmNooI.png
18 KB, 580x409
tfw he huggin his son but rly it a tree
>>
>>64041307

Do you mean this line?

>'I ain't afraid to die anymore, I done it already

Yeah I get your point, but since the movie was pretty okay I can forgive
>>
>>64035816
The first scene (the big indian attack) is sorta cool, but overall the movie was really disappointing. I'm pretty sure everyone saying it was good is just trolling OP into wasting his time.
>>
>>64039949
I normally really like long movies. This is one of the few where I really felt the length. It just draaaaaaagggssss for no purpose.
>>
It is great, very patriotic, actually, in a time where the white male is supposed to be the villain.
>>
This is why I barely even bother coming here recently, so many pleb comments, I can't even tell who is being ironic because the entire board is now full of TFA fgts who have no clue about cinema

If you think this film was bad or boring pls just get out of here and go back to shitposting in your TFA threads
>>
>>64035816

Echoes of Valhalla Rising and a few Malick and Kubrick movies.
>>
>>64035816
hello, reddit
>>
>>64038463

>crawling most of the film

This is actually false. I won't spoiler anything, but you are a retard and didn't pay much attention to the movie.
>>
>>64046448
>Valhalla Rising

Except with that movie I was interested in where the main character was going since I had no idea. With this one I knew the whole time so it was boring.
>>
>>64040010

Hmm... right. Mostly male Europeans travel to the New World and spend the rest of their lives in the wilderness and never intermix whatsoever. Go back to your fantasy world of Aryan masturbation you moronic maidenhead.
>>
>>64035816
This movie was fucking epic. Best movie of the year in my opinion.. even if you dont think its the best movie this year, its still amazing. check it out. ignore the edgy fags trashing it simply to be keyboard gangsters.
>>
>>64046562

I found both movies good, but I had trouble connecting with Valhalla Rising because there were some very fantastical events in it, and I still don't quite understand the allegory. I found the Revenant more comprehensible at face value without consideration of its allegorical meaning. It also, is, finally, presenting a more realistic view on the warfare between "settlers" and the existing indigenous nations.
>>
>>64037043
agree with this 100%. his character was awesome and had depth...he wasnt just a bad guy just because, even though he was the villain he still had his own valid reasons for doing what he did...theyre just not very honorable. and tom hardy delivered that amazingly
>>
File: hurr.jpg (18 KB, 190x190) Image search: [Google]
hurr.jpg
18 KB, 190x190
>>64040515
>Go see Macbeth instead
>>
>>64046720
i loved valhalla rising. crazy slow, but its one of those movies that kept me engaged despite its pace. That feeling of hopelessness in it was interesting to watch. at least to me.
>>
Anyone have the md or gift of the bear scene like the whole scene from the fire of the gun.
>>
File: revenant rape.webm (3 MB, 852x356) Image search: [Google]
revenant rape.webm
3 MB, 852x356
>>64047187
>>
>Leader says he'll round up men to hunt for Tom Hardy.
>Leonardo says he wants to come.
>No!
>Yes!
>Okay
>Next scene it's just the two of them.

What happened to that hunting party fag, you probably would be alive still if you brought more people.
Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.