[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
star wars again
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3
File: 2342.jpg (57 KB, 768x432) Image search: [Google]
2342.jpg
57 KB, 768x432
i just watched the force awakens, and my two biggest problems were:

1) it is the exact same film as a new hope
2) apparently force-sensitive people don't need to be trained to be jedi anymore, they can just start mind-controlling and lightsaber-swinging without any guidance or teaching. so why did luke skywalker need to spend four jillion years taking yoda's warty green dick on Dagobah if this wasn't necessary?

aside from that, I thought it was a very enjoyable movie and a fine successor to the originals.
>>
a glib facsimile
>>
>>64027569
Luke was swinging lightsabers, he just wasn't any good at it. He tried skipping school and ditching Yoda and Vader gave him the asskicking of a lifetime.
>>
>>64027569
>1) it is the exact same film as a new hope
To be fair, there's a lot of stealing from Empire and Jedi too.

>2) apparently force-sensitive people don't need to be trained to be jedi anymore, they can just start mind-controlling and lightsaber-swinging without any guidance or teaching. so why did luke skywalker need to spend four jillion years taking yoda's warty green dick on Dagobah if this wasn't necessary?
What, just because it didn't have the voice of Sir Alec Guinness the force can't make people do impossible shit anymore?
>>
>>64027634
Yeah, but Ben is no Vader. Complete lack of focus and much fear. Best Sith would have just killed him for being such a failure.
>>
>>64027569
it was boring, boooooooring
>>
I don't get the soft reboot shit. It's not like New Hope is an aging and beginning to be buried film like Gremlins, it's fucking THE Star Wars.

Now I wish we'd get another one next year just to move the fuck on from two hours of "good, but literally the same shit".
>>
i dont remember the good stormtropper in a new hope
>>
>>64027749
>It's not like New Hope is an aging and beginning to be buried film like Gremlins
It is among a significant market share of people younger than you. Disney did what they did to make the most money from the most people. It is what it is.
>>
>>64027569
Rey was trained by Luke when she was a kid you dip.
>>
>>64027569

Rey didn't need training because she's a Mary Sue made to pander to the facebook generation because it's trendy to support the image of strong women.
>>
>>64027690
i thought he did a great job. Probably a crappy sith, but he was vulnerable and far more interesting a character than vader was (in a new hope). his voice was great too.

>>64027634
>>64027637

It's not just impossible shit, it's the fact that everyone who did impossible shit in the earlier films had training. no one was just like "oh lol i just learned im a jedi let me mind control this dude".

And swinging lightsabers is one thing, but fighting off (even a kind of amateur) dark jedi like kylo ren is much harder.

I honestly thought the scene with Rey mind-tricking the stormtrooper was a joke — i imagine mind tricks are a fairly advanced technique for jedi...

They could have explained it away too, at least — they could have said that when Rey was being tortured by Ren and they had that mind-meld moment thing, perhaps some of his jedi training was transferred to her.

it's just weird since so much of the original trilogy and the prequels focused on Luke's training, or the necessity of training and order for someone to actually master force techniques.
>>
>>64027818
????????
>>
>>64027821
i love how the response to "we want more good female characters" is to make more bad female characters
>>
My main problem was a lack of feeling the size of the universe they inhabit like the other movies inherently had, even the fucking prequels. There just seemed to be some lore missing, and things I could have tried to fill in from Clone Wars or EU is probably all non-canon now, like going to Ilum to get your saber crystals, which could explain why Kylo's saber was all fucked up.
>>
>>64027855
Luke didn't have training when he blew up that death star. Or Anakin when he blew up that death star looking trade ship.

I'm pretty sure making a perfect shot in a starship going thousands of miles per hour through space requires a little more expertise than swinging a sword after you've already spent your life fighting with a staff. But maybe that's just me.

Either way, space magic did it. Space magic always does it.
>>
>>64027855

Maybe female jedi's are just naturally more proficient at force-seggestion against the opposite sex. Male Jedi's are probably better at telekinesis because males have better spatial awareness.
>>
>>64027928
they want female characters with agency, they don't give a shit if they have a compelling character arc. If you haven't noticed from the last 6 films, this is a power fantasy.
>>
I cannot fucking believe this desert-dwelling character is a prodigal pilot AND inherently strong in the force.

What were the odds?
>>
>>64028021
>Luke didn't have training when he blew up that death star. Or Anakin when he blew up that death star looking trade ship.
he was an experienced pilot that constantly boasts about and makes references to his skill. how did you miss that?
>>
>>64028296
maybe thats why shes the main character
>>
>>64028296

3,720 to 1
>>
>>64027569
>1) it is the exact same film as a new hope
Anyone who says this doesn't know shit. They add on shit from the other two OT movies. While it doesn't make the movie any better, it makes me question the person making the criticism.
>>
>>64028334
Nice.
>>
I hate nostalgia wanking so goddamn much. The movie was shit, I already saw the same exact thing back in the 70's.
>>
>>64027855
>>64027569

You seemed to have missed the part where Kylo was reading Rey's mind and viewing her childhood. He saw an "island in the ocean", coincidentally that's where Luke was found, and this was before anyone knew where he was. She has clearly been trained on at least some level by Luke, otherwise there is no way to explain how she knew where he was and was able to resist Kylo at all.

The next film will probably say some shit like she was trained from a young age until Kylo went rogue and started killing all the jedi hopefuls. Luke then wiped her memory and hid her on a desert planet in the middle of no where for her own protection, that's why she thinks she's there waiting for her family to return. or something
>>
>>64027855
The title of the film was The Force Awakens. It looks like the force itself will be training jedi in critical situations. This will probably happen again in at least one of the remaining films.
>>
>>64028708
which will be lame as fuck. literally turns the force into a deus ex machina worse than it's ever been.

conveniently it will also be justification for "stronk independent jedi who dont need no master"
>>
>>64028021
You need to watch the movies again if you think Luke wasn't trained to take the shot.
>>
>>64028605
They know that it adds on from the others but overall it's mostly A New Hope that The Force Awakens uses.
>>
>>64028987
m8 I explained it in the post before the one you quoted, here >>64028706

she quite clearly was trained and already knew where the first jedi temple was before anyone figured out the map

>>64029153
True, but they were starting from a point where the last 3 films were shit and the future of the franchise was depending on the success of this film. Rather than go crazy with a completely different story they went for something tried and tested and threw in enough to keep people entertained. Hopefully in the next one they will explore something new
>>
>>64027796
>It is among a significant market share of people younger than you.
No it isn't. Characters like Darth Vader and Yoda were all over merchandise for the marketing of this movie. Disney knows where their bread is buttered. The reason casuals like it so much is BECAUSE it's basically a copy of Star Wars - which is what they wanted.
>>
>>64028706
>you have to see the sequel for shit to be explained in the first movie

That's just bad storytelling.
>>
>>64027569
>it is the exact same film as a new hope
No it's not.

TWO people are broken out of imprisonment!

And if Rey didn't need training she wouldn't have gone to find Luke.
>>
>>64029486
>this isn't fair, why do I have to read chapter 4 in this book to learn more about the story
>having to continue reading is poor story telling
>>
>>64029858
>separate movies are not like separate books, just different chapters

end yourself rightly
>>
>>64029858
These are movies, not books. Star Wars didn't end on a cliffhanger with a laundry list of unanswered shit that meant you had to watch the sequel to maybe find the answers to.
>>
File: oa4oE6B[1].jpg (129 KB, 1914x812) Image search: [Google]
oa4oE6B[1].jpg
129 KB, 1914x812
Here's Darth emo's unexplained knights.
One of them uses a staff.

So Rey and Ren better have amnesia or something, it's the only thing that can save this trash.

All we know is that Luke trained the new generation and one of them betrayed him.
>>
>>64029486
It is retardedly obvious in this movie that she has had Jedi training under Luke before, but had her memory repressed for some reason
>>
>>64027821
makes sense, instant gratification is very common these days. Just being good at things with-out any real training arc would definitely be enjoyed by today's crowd.
>>
>>64027855
If his job was to be a crappy sith, he excelled completely. The thing is, did we really want to have that over like say anything else, also, did we really need to see the villains conflict so early into the saga, it kinda made things more complicated.
>>
>>64028002
Red saber crystals are synthetic though
>>
>>64028706
She also was having force dreams of that island, he could have just as easily been accessing the memories of that force dream.

>>64030457
It's not in the movie though. This is seriously Other M tier apology right here.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.