[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Millennials not interested in movies. >Spend most their
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 121
Thread images: 10
File: sam-jackson.jpg (71 KB, 196x134) Image search: [Google]
sam-jackson.jpg
71 KB, 196x134
>Millennials not interested in movies.
>Spend most their time on vine, youtube and /v/
>30+ yr olds are becoming the new demographic of cinema.

Now that movies are being made for adult, grown-up minds, are we about to enter a new golden age of cinema?
>>
Really? Take a look around. The only movie anybody wants to talk about is the 7th installment in a Disney owned franchise made by a TV director.
>>
>>64018890
don't dismiss the cultural phenomenon which star wars has become
getting that out of the picture we need to wait until marvelisation of cinema die (which in fact is extension of lucas's original "movie universe idea)
>>
>>64018842
90% of /tv/ are 20 year olds. What are you talking about?
>>
>>64018842
you give to much credit to 30+ viewers
>>
>>64018842

No seriously when the fuck was the last time you went to the cinema besides Star Wars? You're being really stupid right now.
>>
>>64019411
I hope this is bait.
>>
File: 1447470384510.jpg (43 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1447470384510.jpg
43 KB, 640x640
>>64018842
Watching movies about other people lives, there is absolutely nothing more pathetic by vicariously living through the silver jew.
>>
>>64018842
Shame today's 30 year olds are the 15 year olds of the 70's.
>>
>>64019784
I've always wondered what the golden screen was
>>
>>64019921
Oculus Rift
>>
>>64019247
/tv/ makes up less than 1 percent of millennial demographic you dumbfuck.
>>
File: phones.jpg (36 KB, 537x402) Image search: [Google]
phones.jpg
36 KB, 537x402
>>64018842
There should be a fucking law for parents who get their kids phones and I-pads so they won't have to deal with them.

I mean really, lets start the next generation of ADHD riddled kids off right and give them an addiction to instant gratification! Yeah, that'll really work out great for us as a society!!!

I'm a teacher I deal with this shit all the time; dumb ass kids who can't spell the word "Phone" but mommy and daddy dearest are more than willing to get them smart phones and PS4's.

Sorry, I got off on a tangent there. Who else laughed their ass off when Samuel got sucked off?
>>
>>64018842
I guess they're just not seein pictures anymore
>>
>>64018842
>are we about to enter a new golden age of cinema?

You're forgetting a lot of studios are making their websites host movies and TV shows now. Everything is moving online.

Everyone wants LBB's market,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP-MbfHFUqs
>>
kek, wait till >>64020137 sees the view count of that video in >>64020909 he's gonna flip a table
>>
>>64018842
>adult, grown-up minds
Is this a bait post? People in their mid 30's are dip-shits. Unfortunately I would know.
>>
>>64020137
>I'm a teacher

Is where you are as bad as where I am? The school board here is pushing tech hardcore. Everyone needs a laptop and smartphone for class. Oh, and I'm talking elementary schools. There's essentially 2 years of just teaching them how to use the stuff in the way the school wants them to learn.
>>
>>64020909
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP-MbfHFUqs

Holy shit. Great parenting.
>>
>>64020995
Seems like everyone is a dip-shit now. I don't know if I just got smarter than everyone, everyone got dumber than I am, or I just started to notice.
>>
>>64018842
>capeshit is the biggest seller

What
>>
>>64021054
ikr it averages to about 2 million views a day
>>
File: anger.gif (1 MB, 500x210) Image search: [Google]
anger.gif
1 MB, 500x210
>>64020951
>>64020909

>1,082,163,524

OH YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE A RESPONSIBLE PARENT AT ALL, JUST SIT YOUR BRAT IN FRONT OF A COMPUTER SCREEN FOR THE NEXT HOUR WHILE YOU GO OUT SHOPPING.
>>
>>64021117
It is the most viewed non-music video on youtube.
>>
Millennials are such faggits we gotta pick up the slack
>>
The demo for TFA was 34 year old men so no, we're not

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/oct/26/star-wars-the-force-awakens-jj-abrams-average-fan
>>
>>64021084
Just seems like nobody grows up nowadays. Look how many people in their 30's and 40's freak out over comic book shit. My parents were never like that when I was younger.

And yeah the kids growing up with iPhones and shit are plain fucked. Intellect is dying. It's just all about infantile entertainment and not being bored.
>>
>>64019411
>when the fuck was the last time you went to the cinema

Not OP, but it was before 4chan existed. Around the time 9/11 happened. I don't even remember the movie.
>>
File: disney-timeline.jpg (185 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
disney-timeline.jpg
185 KB, 800x450

Do you feel like we're in a new golden age of cinema?
>>
>>64021023
I teach elementary, tech is here but it's a good thing.

Middle and High schools are using more phone/tablet activities in classes. Some schools are really good at implementing, some aren't.

You have the last wave of old timers who still have tenure who refuse to adapt, that's one of the frustrating parts about it.
>>
>>64021190
It is the media and consumerism. The younger you can keep the mentality of a person the more they will buy and the less control they will have over the compulsion to buy something new.
>>
>>64021227
Teaching young children to stare at a screen 24/7 is a good thing?
>>
>>64021207
>Disney Timeline
>Dreamworks Ghost in the Shell

I don't even....
>>
>>64018842
>Millenials are 13 year old maymay
The oldest millenial is around 34, the average age of TFA viewer.
>>
>>64021301
They're distributing it under PG-13 so expect it to be Aeon-Flux tier.
>>
>>64021227
>>64021262
It is great for teaching, but the shit programs they are teaching the kids. It makes me want to pull my hair out. I only know because I have a friend who is a teacher. There's only 1 kid in her class that hasn't been diagnosed with ADD or whatever they are calling it now when you can't bitch out a kid for not paying attention and need to drug them up instead.

Knowing how to use the tech and knowing what good it can do for you in aiding and learning is great. Everything else isn't.
>>
>>64021304
It's funny that 34 year olds aren't even old enough to remember watcher the OT in theaters.
>>
>>64021207
this is keeping theatrical venues in business. show some respect.
>>
>said from all the faggot spending their time on fucking 4chan
oh the irony, at least some people are honest with themselves
>>
You're either older than 30 or younger than 18.

These /tv/ memes are getting worse and worse.
>>
>>64021304
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennials

>Millennials (also known as the Millennial Generation[1] or Generation Y) are the demographic cohort following Generation X. There are no precise dates when the generation starts and ends; most researchers and commentators use birth years ranging from the early 1980s to the early 2000s.

So, at least 15-35, pretty much every single person on 4chan.
>>
File: 1448921691892.jpg (31 KB, 526x300) Image search: [Google]
1448921691892.jpg
31 KB, 526x300
>>64021328
>PG-13

God damn it.
>>
>>64021262
Teaching kids using modern technology and teaching them how to use in constructively is a good thing.

I'm 21, I got a single typing class in 7th grade, and then a recap on powerpoint or excel once a year if a teacher felt like it. I feel like computer skills are much more prevalent in schools now than even 4 years ago
>>
>>64018842
If you seriously believe this, you must have some kind of neural degeneration.
>>
>>64021262
Sorry, I was referring to using technology to put the responsibility of education back onto the students and their parents, it's fantastic. All my parents have my work e-mail so if their kids act like animals in class I have instant access to them, same goes for forcing my kids to do their homework; send it to all of the parents via e-mail and I'm done.

Of course it still only works for the parents who actually give a shit about their kid's education, but it's made my life easier.

and fyi, there are things that kids can do on computers that can actually help them memorize things like their math facts and basic grammar. Completely different from just watching 54 goddamn minutes of nursery rhymes or some asshole playing with Play-doh.
>>
>>64021344
It's hilarious that 20 year old anons think that they aren't Millenials and didn't eat TPM up when it came out.
>>
>>64021452
There are people over twice your age that know way more about computers than you or anyone else does. Teaching kids about this stuff when they're young won't make any difference aside from them getting introduced to social media and youtube at an earlier age.
>>
>>64021402
all the bitching about millennials is actually "abloo bloo bloo, I was born in the wrong generation. Everyone my age sucks except me. I'm a 50 year old intellect trapped in the body of 20-something"
>>
>>64021536
>It's hilarious that 20 year old anons think that they aren't Millenials and didn't eat TPM up when it came out.

I agree. I'm 25 and never liked SW growing up.
>>
>>64021553
Thats some really awful logic and you sound biased against the topic to begin with.
>>
>>64021569
Which is why using Millenial as an insult is so stupid. Gen X will never think you are cool.
>>
>not interested in movies
>its clearly a cultural thing
>and has nothing to do with most movies being crap

I used to watch a ton of movies, but now its like who cares. I still go and see every promising action movie that comes out but the rest of it is just forced tripe
>>
File: sad-old-man.jpg (625 KB, 2060x2312) Image search: [Google]
sad-old-man.jpg
625 KB, 2060x2312
>>64021569
> I was born in the wrong generation

Too late for valor in war and too early for valor in space. Perfect for valor in shitposting. We are the short straw incarnate.
>>
>>64021634
It's reality. 99% of kids who get taught about computers in school exclusively use it for social media and nothing else.
>>
>>64021611
Then you must be very patrician. I'm older and I admit I got swept up by the hype. No shame in admitting it but these contrarians trying to make the prequels as some masterpiece are seriously misguided
>>
>>64018842
80s cucks are bigger manchildren than even the most infantile le 90s kid
>>
>>64021646
>I used to watch a ton of movies, but now its like who cares.

OMFG this. I know it might be that we are jaded as fuck now, but once in a while a good movie/show comes along. And, I'm not talking something that is simply in the old style to make me nostalgic. So, I'm hoping it isn't just being jaded. If it is then there's no hope for us.
>>
>>64019988
Lol
>>
>>64021709
I grew up only knowing about the prequels. I didn't watch the OT until I was already in my 20s and by the time I watched them I was thoroughly unimpressed based on the hype. I think nostalgia is the only reason SW is so beloved because even the OT is horrible mediocre.
>>
>>64021709
I'm older too and got caught in the hype and saw Ep 1 and 2 in the theaters sitting along side people in full costumes. By Ep 3 I just didn't give a shit because they were just shit. I like LOTR better than SW1-3.
>>
>>64021706
Do you have any actual evidence to support that?
>>
>>64018842

Sure if your idea of a new golden age are films made entirely to jerk off your nostalgia boner.
>>
>>64021836
Maybe you should go outside.
>>
>>64020137
Shit even Steve Jobs would not give them to his kids
>>
>>64021801
Well, there is a great deal with seeing your first set of movies. This is because whatever rehashed story or effects they are using it will be the first thing you ever see of it. That can seriously taint other movies from then on. This is especially true if graphics or FX are extremely advanced over the years between movies. Seeing an alien in a movie in the 1950s does not have the impact it does now, for instance.

Also, each generation has its own set of media social propaganda at the time which the released movies of that generation fully reflect. Thus watching something like Casablanca by us won't be as relateable as it was when it first came out.
>>
>>64019921
There is none. It was called silverscreen because the screen used to projects films on had silver in them.
>>
>30+ yr olds

I do hope idiots on here know that 30+ still encompasses Millennials. 33-34 is about the cut-off age.
>>
No, because baby boomers are dumb as fuck.

Millennials aren't interested in movies because Hollywood talked down to every audience member it's ever had and boomers never noticed.
>>
>>64021760
Lol about what? He's right.
>>
>>64021956
There's literally people younger than me who think SW is the greatest thing ever despite growing up in a time where there are countless movies with better acting, stories, dialogue, and special effects. It doesn't make any sense for anyone older than 40 to think the OT is amazing compared to a lot of modern movies. People in their 20s have some bizzare sense of nostalgia over something that they never truly experienced.
>>
>>64022013
>mfw boomers will die out in my lifetime
feel good man
>>
>>64022094
Much of that is trending. Styles cycle around and around. Remember when bell bottoms where the in thing for a 2nd time? Or, Zoot Suits?

I'm just hoping sci-fi will make a strong come back and we can have some series and movies worth watching.
>>
>>64018842
This is interesting bait. The vast majority of movies are either 1. juvenile garbage like Star Wars, Nolantino, capeshit, or 2. middle brow oscar bait that equally immature but "wannabe sophisticated" people would like.

There's little cinema these days "made for the mature mind" kek.
>>
>>64022190
so how about that blade runner sequel shit i heard about? is it real and gonna happen?
>>
>>64022190
It'd be cool if sci-fi came back. The thing is people in their 20s who bash the prequels while raving about the OT despite only getting to experience the prequels. It makes no sense.
>>
WARM
>>
>>64018842
>Millennials not interested in movies.
>Spend most their time on vine, youtube and /v/

Or it's because there's almost nothing but remakes and reboots of shit they already saw while growing up and don't wanna pay money to see a worse version of it.
>>
>>64018842
WARM
>>
>>64021207
>toy story 4
>most likely won't find a gf to watch it with
>>
>>64022003
I really don't think 80s born apply. Like I am 80s born and shocked by how autistic the mid-90s kids are. I cannot even begin to fathom how autistic the 2000+ kids are going to be. Get ready.
>>
>>64021758
I think its just gotten worse with the internet m8. It's so easy to gauge mass appeal that everything now is tailored to it.

Before the internet got big there were clearly defined genres and people just liked what they liked, but now the producers have access to what the masses want and they try make whatever the movie is about fit that paradigm.

I hope it changes too.
>>
File: 1439551360734.jpg (74 KB, 526x567) Image search: [Google]
1439551360734.jpg
74 KB, 526x567
>>64021207
>Toy Story 4

Way to completely invalidate the message of finally letting go of your childhood by making a sequel to cash in on adults who can't let go of their childhood.
>>
>>64021207
What the fuck?! Disney owns DreamWorks!?
>>
>>64023643
Microsoft owns a portion of Apple.
>>
>>64021569
Nah, our generation has serious problems and clannish devotion to defending people that probably hate you, and I mean that seriously, because you have more in common with them than crusty old fucks is exacerbating the issue. Gen X'ers and Boomers are assholes, but they are not thoroughly cowed and gelded as most of our generation are, and that's where we need to accept there is a problem. It's easy to say every generation has new tech to adapt to, but it's clear no generation has had a problem of lifetime childishness like ours has.
>>
File: Valve Customer Service.gif (426 KB, 499x265) Image search: [Google]
Valve Customer Service.gif
426 KB, 499x265
>>64018842
>Now that movies are being made for adult, grown-up minds
>>
>>64024865
This whole post is pretty spot on. It's an attitude of "I'm fine, it's the world that has to change."
>>
>>64018842
>Millennials
>Adult, grown-up minds

Top Fucking KEK
>>
>>64019165
>he thinks a multibillion dollar cinema industry with films, tv series, video games, action figure lines and various spinoff merchandise and commercial tie-ins is going to die anytime in his lifetime.
>>
>>64018842
FWIW, all the YouTube guys and people who know or care about movies on the internet are all like 32-44 years old it seems like. Jeremy Jahns is like 35 or 36 or whatever.

I honestly believe that 80's movies instilled so much passion and belief in movies because they were filled with insane amounts of imagination and fun that have never really been quite equaled. Combine that with the comic books coming to life that we also read and as a 30 year old your experience has basically been leading you up to this moment in time of awesomeness.

As a 21 year old its so much different, the movies you got exposed too were generally on par with video games with less immersion and I feel like games are the movies of the kids of today.

So I say good that Hollywood begins focusing on us 30+ year olds because I think we appreciate movies the most tbqh.
>>
>>64018842
But I'm a millenial and I watch movies

does that make me special
>>
>>64028040
>thinks 80s were more passionate then the 70's
>>
>>64028166
>thinks the 70's were more passionate than 1895

reminder that people were LITERALLY terrified by this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dgLEDdFddk
>>
>>64028222
Trips beat dubs so I'll just agree to disagree.
>>
>>64028222
I know right, its absurd if you think of it. did they talk about this kinda shit in 1720, being like fuck man, the 1710s were fucked up
>>
>>64028222
There is zero evidence of people actually being frightened of that. It was more than likely a big marketing stunt to make it sound more impressive.

People were probably just surprised or excited, nobody would have thought they were about to actually be hit by a train.
>>
>>64028040
The 70s and 80s was a boomtime of young, cutting-edge directors. Also the 80s was really quite a cinema wasteland because the camp/cheese factor was overpowering at that time.
>>
>>64028901
>The 70s and 80s was a boomtime of young, cutting-edge directors

There's not really a young Spielberg of today although they try to shill JJ Abrams as such.
>>
>>64028933
>>64028901
As Pauline Kael had said, directing is generally a young man's game although there were some brilliant older directors like Vittorio de Sica and Alfred Hitchcock (who was in his prime when he was in his 60s). Most of the time, they end up like Spielberg which is that they were silly, daring, and edgy in their youth and with age switched to bloated, self-indulgent epics like Schindler's List. They get old, fat, rich, complacent, maybe not as hip or in touch with current pop culture, stop doing bold, unorthodox things with their directing, etc.
>>
>>64029215
The day you're old is when you lose your inner child.
>>
>>64028720
>It was more than likely a big marketing stunt
No, just condescending stories that earlier peoples were more naive than us
>>
>>64019165
jesus christ where is your soul
>>
>>64029215
Yeah Hitchcock is an exception that he did his best work in his 50s-60s.
>>
33 year old here. The Force Awakens was the last movie I saw in the theater since Deathly Hallows Part 2

I also spend about 4 hours a night watching YouTube subscription videos
>>
>>64021190
I wonder about that:
>imagining 20-30 years from now when the only economically-viable movies are child-friendly blockbusters
>adults never willed themselves to outgrow sophisticated capeshit, and still consider The Dark Knight the pinnacle of cinema
>most adults will be as thoroughly entertained as their kids
>they'll get hailed as artistic masterpieces and you'll get recommendations from your friends to see "great movies"
meanwhil, here I am - still hung up on Bresson and Cassavetes...
>>
>>64028720
no they def were afraid of being hit. watch Hugo
>>
File: 1432093178229.jpg (9 KB, 241x251) Image search: [Google]
1432093178229.jpg
9 KB, 241x251
Going to the movies it costs way too much, a drink is like $8 and popcorn is like $10. Then they started making all the theaters "premium" so they went from 250 seats per theater to 80. I tried to get a ticket for star wars but it turns out its literally sold out for weeks.

>MFW
>>
>>64018842
You couldn't be more wrong. Haven't you realized by now that today's 30 year old males are manchildren that are interested in teenage art(i.e capeshit, star wars, geek films)
>>
>>64029215
Or, actors. Think Bill Murray.

"I'm not doing that new Ghostbusters. That's kids' stuff. I'm old now; I only do pretentious art movies."
>>
>Implying the biggest market for movies isn't Chinese teenagers.
>2016
>>
>>64021190
>It's just all about infantile entertainment and not being bored.
>complaining about this shit on 4chan
All of you are hypocrites for bitching about "instant gratification" on a messageboard with no standards of quality and the ability to say "its shit" instantaneously and have that be the end of the conversation
>>
>>64030243
Too bad China produces nothing cinema-wise except historic dramas and propaganda flicks with muscular soldiers beating up waves of KMT and Japanese.
>>
>>64018890
>implying Star Wars isn't for the over 30 demographic that saw it when they were kids you fucking dipshit
>>
>>64030303
>implying using a forum with no standards means the person using them has none
please...
>>
>>64030475
People in their 20s saw the prequels as kids senpai.
>>
>>64030566
Yes and were scarred for life.
>>
>>64030408
I would say that tends to happen when you nuke society with the cultural revolution, HK cinema is bretty gud tho.
>>
>>64030523
But you're still participating in the same shit you're so opposed too
>>
>>64030939
just because most things on here are on a low level didn't keep you from showing up

this and that are two different things anyway. just because most things on 4chan aren't worth paying attention to doesn't mean some things don't get communicated through the noise.
>>
>>64020909
>tfw the cinema will die just like household radios

Feels bad

t. 78 year old
>>
>>64021207
>The Jungle Book

If people actually knew who the fuck Rudyard Kipling was and how much of an unabashed racist white supremacist impearlist (see: based) he was they'd flip their shit

TJB is an allegory for the white man's burden.
Thread replies: 121
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.