[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rey did NOT have zero training. Can we discuss when her parents
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 128
Thread images: 1
File: iu[1].png (881 KB, 1190x595) Image search: [Google]
iu[1].png
881 KB, 1190x595
Rey did NOT have zero training.
Can we discuss when her parents were leaving on the ship, a voice clearly from the Sith / Kylo said something to her. Her story goes back farther then TFA.
>>
>>64013413
Maybe but she couldn't have been older than like 4 when she was left on Jakku.
>>
>>64013480
But who was she left with? That's whats important.
>>
>>64013545
True. It would also explain her accent.
>>
>>64013545
I don't know how it is in the english dub, but in german, when we see babby Rey, it's definitely Han talking.
>>
how the fuck is this supposed to stand as its own movie when all its explanation has to come from other films
>>
>>64013480
We don't know that for certain. We already suspect that her whole reason for staying in Jakku was bs, it could've just been more bs. From what I remember all the scenes in her "vision" were scenes that involved her somehow, how was she involved with the Knights of Ren?
>>
>>64013719
it's not.
Who claimed there will only be one new star wars movie?
>>
>>64013645
she was left with stephen fry then
>>
>>64013760
>not knowing how star wars works
>>
>>64013896
>'there is another... sky... walker...'
>>
>>64013719
>guys, we just announced a trilogy
>OH GREAT, ME ANON THINK THERE WILL BE 3 SEPARATE MOVIES WOHO, JUST LIKE LOTR
>>
>>64013413

"Show, don't tell" is an important concept for movies. If her training wasn't shown, then the audience doesn't absorb it.
>>
>>64014002
But the past two Star Wars trilogies all had movies that stood on their own.
>>
>>64014065
It wasn't told either, JJ is setting up an ebin twist for Episode 8
>>
>>64014072
>people complain that TFA is too much like new Hope
>people also complain that TFA isn't a standalone movie(??) like new Hope.
wow
>>
>>64014065
Yeah, what we really need is a training montage. Maybe she can play laser tag with a floating ball or carry around a green puppet on her back. That really would have made the movie completely retarded you fucking autist.
>>
>>64013936
This.

Also, living as a scavenger in the desert, she probably got pretty bad ass with that stick of hers. Most of the same physics should apply to a lightsaber.

However, even a wounded Kylo Ren who had been trained by Luke and Sith should have made absolute short work of her and Finn.
>>
its shitty writing when you base the plausibility and enjoyment of your current movie on a future one without giving any hints whatsoever that this will happen

it doesnt have to be so blatant but obviously the majority of viewers just assume rey learned to be a jedi in the course of 10 minutes
>>
>>64014145
Are you suggesting it's impossible to make a movie that's not a copy and can stand on it's own? You're making a false choice that has to be made between the two.
>>
>>64014271
I don't agree actually. There are very obvious hints, we just interpert them as them making her a Mary Sue, because we're used to that sort of shit writing.
>>
>>64013735
Are you saying she's hiding some secret? I didn't see any indication of that.
>>
>>64014327
Ep7 isn't designed to stand on it's own. That's literally not a criteria on the list of things it tries to do.
>>
>>64014072
Your telling me you can watch A New Hope with no context and it will stand on its own?
No.
>>
>>64014380
So what? I'm telling you that's dumb. I'm not trying to argue that wasn't their intention. As it stands they have a poorly written character.
>>
So basically she had Force training but forgot memories of it by some mind wipe? She got Revan'd?
>>
>>64014145
His point is both A New Hope and The Phantom Menace started each trilogy in the same manner, they both can be viewed as standalone films because the main plot actually is resolved whereas the plot of The Force Awakens is more like Attack of the Clones or The Empire Strikes Back in the sense that not everything is wrapped up in a nice package, there is obviously more story to be told
>>
>>64014469
Okay, thanks for confirming you're trolling. You always go too obvious sooner or later.
>>
>>64014361
She's absolutely hiding secrets. Why did she see the Knights of Ren in her vision? Are people assuming it's from her future? Why is she so good with the force suddenly?

Also this is from the novelization:
>Taken aback, he whirled—to see the weapon land in the hand of a girl standing by a tree. Rey appeared equally shocked that her reach for the device had exceeded his. She gazed down at the weapon now resting in her grip.
>“It is you,” Ren murmured.
>His words unsettled her: Not for the first time, he seemed to know more about her than she did about herself.
Kylo fucking recognizes her. This means she's either a former Knight of Ren, or a former student of Luke's
>>
>>64014488
they didn't write a character at all. They set one up. Now the character arc can begin.
>>
She's still bland af
>>
>>64014531
>requiring back story from the novelization

do you see thats the problem? Its bad when you have to look beyond the actual content of the film to have it make sense
>>
>>64014541
And this is why it sucked.
>>
>>64014683
If I said it was obvious because she's obviously too strong in the force would you believe me or would you think it's just another case of inconsistent Hollywood writing?
>>
>>64013413
she was not left on Jakku, thats a fake, implanted memory

her bumbling over the destroyed camp in the middle of the night and looking at Kylo and his boys, thats her real memory of her time at the Luke Skywalker Jedi Academi.
>>
>>64013413
>Her story goes back farther then TFA.
No it doesn't
She and 90% of the characters in this movie were made up during the planning stages of the film
>>
>>64014762
obviously inconsistent writing like pretty much everyone else

maybe if the movie was written by George Lucas, i would agree with you. Instead its now all run by a huge studio with astronomical profits riding on it...of course I will lean towards believing shitty writing for the sake of making the movie easier to understand for all audiences
>>
>>64013719

Why don't you come up with your own criticisms instead of regurgitating landis? I bet you also regurgitate RLM whenever you talk about the prequels too.
>>
>>64013645
I thought everyone on Jakku had that accent?
>>
>>64014683

Yea but you can tell these movies are being written purposefully for the EU to flesh out.
>>
>>64013413
It still makes her a Mary Sue in this movie

Stop white knighting you faggot
>>
amnesia/memory wiping is a brilliant plot mechanic. i don't know why it isn't used for often.

makes everything much easier to write.
>>
>>64014881
>making the movie easier to understand for all audiences
what if
>episode 9 ends
>camera pans out
>focuses on an old Mark Hamil in a straight Jacket
>"he hasn't been the same ever since his aunt and uncle died in that house fire"
>heroic star wars credits.
>>
>>64014881
And why did they set up the Knights of Ren in relation to Rey when they didn't bother setting up anything else outside of the running narrative?
>>
>people already making excuses for poor writing
>>
>>64013413
The way she freaks out over the lightsaber makes me think that she's encountered the Force before.
The Knights of Ren being involved makes sense, IMO.
>>
>>64014891
>imlying that Max Landis was the first to say that this movie doesn't stand on its own.
Also it doesn't matter who said it, it's still correct.
>>
>>64015088
We will probably have Luke and rey training all while he is having her remember her old self (who was probably really into the Dark side, which is why he had to do a wipe or some shit)
I remember an anon a couple of days ago say that one of Rian Johnsons bigger themes thoruhgout his movies is the MC realizing they are the bad guy
>>
>>64013545
She was left with ONE QUARTER PORTION. He was holding her arm in his hand.

These can all be false memories, though. In KOTOR Revan has scattered memories of his life before crashing on Telos. They were all implanted and his actual memories suppressed.
>>
That vision scene was some shit straight out of Harry Potter
>>
>>64014860
Do you really not know the difference between planning story and characters?
>>
>all this prequel logic
That "years of training" shut is long gone.
We are back to the basics.
No pre-choreographed fighting, no decades of experience, just the force.

The first time Luke fought Vader, he actually scored the first hit.
>>
>>64014145
>Being this retarded
A New Hope is not the only standalone movie in a franchise. Movies like Iron Man, Thor and The Avengers all still have their complete stories despite being in a series. Movies should not be like tv shows where they can just save character development for the next episode.
>>
>>64014828
Are yuo saying they are pulling a Revan?
>>
>>64015368
And lost his fucking hand in the same fight. First blood means nothing.
>>
>>64015173
>Rian Johnsons bigger themes thoruhgout his movies is the MC realizing they are the bad guy
He hasn't really directed enough movies to convince me of that, but it's an interesting theory at least.
>>
I really liked TFA
7/10 for me
but there were 2 things I didn't like
1. That entire cargo ship sequence with Han felt so weird and out of place
2.that Maz character felt really odd
>>
>>64015439
>Movies should not be
And who are you to say what they are? Call them billion dollar tv shows then, it can still be worthwhile to watch them.
>>
>>64015439
but they destroyed the hyper death star space station thing. Establishing cliffhanger mysteries doesn't detract from that.
>>
>>64015553
>1. That entire cargo ship sequence with Han felt so weird and out of place
because we never saw what actually han does for the living most of the time.
also they've bought me when that monster began to roll an ford made a move like he was trying to hold his hat. literally 2sec sequention

>2.that Maz character felt really odd
this.

also carrie fisher was weak as fuck
>>
>>64015870
It felt like an action scene for the sake of an action scene
Also that first fight with Poe and Finn leaving that station felt like a video game. They should hav had them leave but chased by TIE Fighters, not go back and destroy the turrets (even if it makes sense, it felt too... fun... which is weird to say)
>>
It does stand it's own. The goal of finding luke and destroying planet terror death sun mk. III was completed. The party was assembled. Rey clearly has a mysterious past and her meele combat abilities were established on Jakku and even then she barely beat a wounded, out of control, over confident, and emotional dark side trainie who was going easy on her. Everything else is just nitpicking.
>>
>>64015990
One of the things that surprised me was that it wasn't a cop/paste of ANH like I thought it would be, but probably because I hyped it up as that
Like some story beats were the same, but it mostly stood out to me as its own thing
>>
Was I the only one with the feeling that Rey's story in regards to her family is finished? Like, it doesn't really matter where she comes from, just like it didn't matter for Anakin. She's there and she has the force and a skillset developed through hardship and having to defend herself (although it doens't really make irl logic, it makes movie logic).

I think she's not gonna have anything else explained about her past.
>>
>>64016102
While in no way does any Star Wars movie have the best writing (save Empire) I highly doubt they're just gonna drop it so soon. I 100% guarantee its gonna be a plot point in 8
>>
THE TWIST IS THAT SHE WAS MIND WIPED AFTER SHE KILLED ALL THE OTHER JEDI IN TRAINING BECAUSE SHE CAN'T PROPERLY CONTROL HER POWER, THEN LUKE DUMPED HER ON JAKKU AND WENT INTO HIDING.
>>
>>64016196
The only way to justify her beating Kylo.
>>
>>64016196
I wouldn't mind this to be honest
would actually fix the biggest problem with the movie IMO
>>
>>64015597
No but saving the character development and world building for the next movie to make this one more action packed keeps it from standing on its own.
>>
>>64016192
Maz does say something about how she'll never hear from her family again, so I think I'm on the right track, but there's still interesting possibilities regardless of which path they choose for the story.
>>
>>64016285
Honestly, this movie had around the same characterization as ANH
Actually it was a little less, but Empire was the movie that established the characters as unique save for Han Solo
>>
>>64016285
>plenty of world building
>finn has an arc, sort of
>so does Han, I guess
there was plenty of both.
>>
>>64016196
this would be cool, but they still fucked up how they depicted it to the audience.

they needed to at least have the characters suspect something funny was going on at the time they met Luke, who's going to be able to explain it all anyway.

they could have treated her like an actual superhero who has inexplicable powers and worked the mystery angle.

the fact that that didn't happen makes me think that there is no twist and the more basic and conventional version of Kylo murdering everyone, Luke leaving her to hide her and then going to sulk is true.
>>
>>64016373
>so does Han, I guess
Han, Finn, and Kylo are the only ones with a proper story arc in this film
>>
Anakin Skywalker was re-incarnated as Rey, and she was able to tap into skills she had when she was Anakin.

In Episode 9 we will find out the Force assumes human form, it was Anakin and it moved onto Rey.
>>
>>64014268
Nah Chewie's bowcaster is stronk. He got seriously injured from it. Also he did fuck up Finn. Nigga got split down the back and burnt in the sholder area. I do think Rey should have lost or at the very least not given such a definitive victory
>>
>>64013413
I still can't buy any of this baby jedi academy shit because she looked less than 5 years old when they showed her being left on Jakku.

Also the voice was Obi Wan telling her "these are your first steps."
>>
>>64016519
I hope you don't think this is a good idea
What would be cool is to see her go where Mark wanted to see Luke go. The Dark side. Original or not that would be some interesting stuff for the movies to handle, but they need to make Poe, Finn and Rey a group of friends or something like that for that to work
>>
>>64016584
Implanted memory
Obi Wan telling her "these are your first steps."
I could see that as being like Obi Wan showing her the ways at the beginning of her training, but who knows
>>
>>64016588
I think we're getting that with Kylo though.
>>
>>64013480
This

She's still a Mary Sue because she miraculously learned all of that shit she does in the movie at the age of 4. That shit's ridiculous.

The only other explanation is that literally all of her memories, including her being left on Jakku, are fake. Which comes off as bullshit because there isn't a single shred of evidence suggesting this, and also if Luke can magically implant memories why didn't he do that to Kylo Ren? Would've stopped him from massacring the Jedi.
>>
Does that mean someone who's training rivals that of a four year old can best someone who literally stops blaster shots in mid air and can make a person not be able to move at all?

BRAVO
R
A
V
O
>>
>>64016657
But Kylo is already on the dark Side. unless you mean him going to the good Side.
If i could make the movies I would have Rey go bad and Kylo go good (which is why I don't make movies)
>>
Okay so when Kylo says "I will finish what you started" to Vader's helmet what is he referring to exactly? Revenge of the Sith grandpa when he tries killing a lot of Jedi or Return of the Jedi when he saves Luke and attempts to kill Sidious?
>>
>>64016715
Tbh that would be the best twist and would be "Anakin" done right.
>>
Good:
- Kylo Ren.
- Boyega. Based. He has a great character arc. Goes from being a scared pussy to standing up to Kylo Ren to protect his friends. He's a bit bumbling but capable when necessary.
- Poe was just charismatic and charming as hell. Can't wait to see more of him.
- BB-8 was generally cute and funny as fuck. Like a R2D2 in a lot of ways but suffering from "little droid" syndrome without going into George Lucas silly baby humor shit.
- The general setup of Luke having failed and people are searching for him.
- Han's death.

Bad:
- The political situation isn't explained very well. It didn't make sense why the Republic would just let the First Order build this super weapon without their knowledge that eventually ended up blowing up their entire government.
- Rei was a bit too Mary Sueish for my taste. She failed but she was generally the least reliant on her friends. I hope we get a good explanation or turn for her character. She can't just power up like Luke.
- Music wasn't up to the usual standards. It was serviceable, but I think J.J. kinda drowned it out a little bit.

Ugly:
- Reused the Deathstar plot again that kinda sucked the life out of the movie.
- Maz
- Rathtar scene
- X-wing fight at the end has no dramatic tension at all
- J.J.'s direction is pretty weak. It's better than Whedon but that isn't saying much.

Overall, solid 6.5 or 7/10.
>>
>so apologetic for a mary sue you have to invent nonexistent backstory
>>
>>64013719
because it's fucking terrible and a side effect of the MCU becoming popular

disney doesnt give a shit about self-contained stories and would rather leave shit vague so they can make spinoff movies to explain it
>>
>>64016750
I'm not sure he knows either. He feels conflicted, I'm sure what he meant was destroy the last of the Jedi, but maybe he'll pull a Vader and kill SNoke in the end. Who knows.
>>
>>64016715
I guess we'll find out how much conflict Rey has in the next one and if Kylo is really using the Darkside for the greater good in destroying Snoke
>>
>>64016650
I'm more partial to the Force ghost stuff of dead Obi-wan talking her
>>
>>64016750
First Order = Order 66 = Vader was the first one to carry out the order to kill the Jedi.

He wants to find Luke and kill him.
>>
It's clear that SJWs WANT her to just be an everyday woman with no training who defeated a fucking Sith. Even though it makes no sense plot-wise.
>>
>>64016800
Holy shit are you me?
100% agree with you
>>
>>64016750
He means he will continue the rule of the dark side and carry on the legend of the sith without falling victim to famial ties like Vader did, which ultimately undid everything the empire built.

Kylo killing Han was him proving to himself that he can do what Anakin couldn't
>>
>>64016750
To bring "order" to the galaxy like he tried to do under the emperor.
>>
>>64016869
But Vader sacrifices himself to save Luke and I feel that Luke would have told Kylo that no? That Vader wasn't 100% evil (let's pretend Anakin didn't kill like 15 kids) he had good in him
>>
>>64016800
>- Boyega. Based. He has a great character arc. Goes from being a scared pussy to standing up to Kylo Ren to protect his friends. He's a bit bumbling but capable when necessary.

This

I almost feel bad I participated in the shitposting against him
>>
>>64017010
honestly I could see him keeping that secret. No one would care if he redeemed himself at the end, as far as they are concerned he was a monster till the end.
Even if Luke did tell Kylo that, I could see him caring more about Vaders essence of being. Vaders purpose was what enticed him to go bad
>>
>everyone bitches about how R2D2 boots up suddenly

So, you all understood it had something to do with Luke's lightsaber being back on board with Rey, right? That was the condition for R2 to snap back to normal mode set by Luke in that flashback.
>>
>>64017082
It's ok, anon. He's still black.
>>
>>64016804

The backstory was clearly hinted at, you were just too busy taking notes on what to complain about on 4chan to notice
>>
>>64017188
I didn't notice that, but that makes sense
I just aassumed it was becasue he found the map(he found part of the map, Right?)
>>
>>64017188
R2 was clearly aware that the screenplay was about to run out of pages and switched on because his resolution circuits were activated.
>>
>>64016800
>Boyega
I loved how he himself doesn't seem to know what character he actually is, so he tries to be an everyday hero, but fails miserably and needs to be rescued by Rey. He tries to be the cool rebel guy, but he has no idea how to actually do that. Then he tries to be a jedi like twice and fails too.
>>
>>64017353
Did you read the script?
Hey what's that in the corner is that the script?
>>
>>64013413

>Rey did NOT have zero training

She's also been fighting with a staff for many years.
>>
>she got some force introduction when she was younger than 4
>therefore it's perfectly normal for her to know everything immediately
just admit it, it's fucking stupid
why do you need to come up with that much excuses
>>
>>64017496
>implying she doesn't have implanted memories

If it turns out she was never trained by Luke or anythign like that, then I will admit this as a huge issue
>>
Rey survived because she went against the established-as-weak Kylo Ren. If she were to go against TR-8R she'd get her teeth kicked in.
>>
>>64017644
kek
seriously though why wasn't it Phasma
>>
My theory is she got Revan'd.
>>
>>64017623
if rey was older but had fake memories implanted in her then why didn't kylo recognize her
>>
>>64017710
I don't know, im just speculating
my only guess is that they might have been in suit/costumes if that part in the dream-ish sequence was a flashback
>>
>>64016196
She would have been like 4 years old
>>
>>64017623
Luke was trained by Yoda, it took him 3 of his best years to be at the level you see in Return of the Jedi.
And fighting with a staff is very different from fighting with a sword that has a blade that cuts you instantly.
>>
>>64018007

It never specifies how the other apprentices were killed.
>>
>>64018070
When did they say that the apprentices were killed?
>>
>>64018017
I completely agree with you, but like I said, im just speculating
in fact I'm sad that we won't get that same kinda progression with this new trilogy
>>
>>64013413
>Rey did NOT have zero training.
Then were is the proof? Yeah that's what I thought. Fuck off.
>>
>>64014683
>implying it's not obvious in the movie that Kylo knows exactly who she is

Remember when he fucking looses it when an officer tells him that they spotted a "girl" with Finn and BB8 on Jakku?
>>
>>64014510
Pretty much
>>
>>64018355
>implying she didn't have existing piloting skills
>implying she didn't have any fighting experience
>implying the Force isn't being portrayed as becoming more and more powerful in the move ("There has been an awakening, have you felt it?")
>>
She's Snooki's daughter.
>>
What are the Knights of Ren? Are they all followers of Vader or is that just Kylo? Why is Kylo the only one present in TFA aside from flashback?

This movie could have used more exposition on the state of the galaxy
>>
>>64019127

The prevailing theory is that the Knights of Ren were either other apprentices of Luke who joined Ren in turning to the Dark Side, or some sort of band of warriors put together by Ren to hunt enemies of the First Order all over the galaxy.

I'm sure Episode VIII will go more into detail on this.
>>
>>64019297
You think Kylo is the leader?
>>
>>64020315

Snoke did call him the "master of the Knights of Ren".
Thread replies: 128
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.