[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>almost crashes the Falcon because she fucks up the takeoff
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 188
Thread images: 14
File: shelookslikeayoungmarkhamill.jpg (38 KB, 768x431) Image search: [Google]
shelookslikeayoungmarkhamill.jpg
38 KB, 768x431
>accidentally releases the cartoon alien monsters from their cages
>fucks up firing a pistol
How is she perfect again?
>>
>none of that matter because everything works out
M A R Y S U E
>>
>>63987990
Everything always works out for good guys. Do you even movie?

> runs stupidly away from allies and gets frozen/mindread/ko'd by Kylo after finding Luke's saber
>>
>>63987933
because she's secretly JJ's self insert if he wanted to be a woman Jedi!!!

THATS WHY!!!
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDKKB-JJvsU
>>
>>63987990
Of course it was going to work out it's a fuckign movie. Do you want her dead or something?
>>
>Uses a lightsaber
>Named ray
>We all know that lightsabers aren't laser rays, but plasma
>Dumb bitch
>>
>>63987933
>immediately after almost crashing performs aerial stunts that rival anakin
>immediately solves that problem by saving finn from one and fixing the falcon so they can hyperdrive away
>immediately turns off the safety and bullseyes every trooper she sees
>>
>>63987933

And 10 seconds later, she's flying it perfectly doing crazy spins and making impossibly fast turns.

You could argue that since that ends up saving them, it's barely even a mistake, but things tend to work out for the main character in every movie.

>>fucks up firing a pistol

Forgets the safety, then goes ahead and kills a bunch of stormtroopers without missing a shot.

Not to mention the other stuff, like being able to do a Jedi mind trick without knowing what a mind trick is, calling the lightsaber to her with the force on the first try, being a great fighter, having all the major characters like her almost instantly, etc.

The movie as a whole was good, and Rey is a bit of a Mary Sue. I get that there might not have been time to fully explain everything (Abrams had to cram a lot of new characters and information into one movie), but that's just how she came across.
>>
>>63989947
AND IT'S THIS SUNDAY AT WWE SUUUUPPPEEERRRSLAAAAAAMMMMMMM
>>
>>63987933
>>almost crashes the Falcon because she fucks up the takeoff
still manages to fly it perfectly through a narrow maze as if fitting a quarter through urethra
>accidentally releases the cartoon alien
monsters from their cages
and in doing so saved han and chewy's life and also finn's life in the process
DURR, takes off the safety and proceeds to no scope several guys in one hit
>>
>>63990041
>>63990062
>>63990101

aaaand /thread
>>
>>63989577
>Everything always works out
Say that to Biggs, Dobbie, or Luke's hand
>>
>>63989577
>luke gets his ass kicked in V
>luke overtly trusts people that are out to kill him
>luke is naive and just believes in good in people
>>
>>63990041
I'll let you in on a secret. Guns are easy to shoot.

> First time shooting rifle
> Kept shooting through exact same hole (not bullseye, but not far off)
> Never shot pistol before
> In police simulator
> 0% rattled by scenario
> Shoot one killshot to heart while my partner hits fucking clouds

Marksmanship comes down to three things. Calm focus. Using proper sighting. Using proper body posture and grip.
>>
FAS
A
S
>>
>>63987933
It's not so much that she's perfect, its that she is just so much more competent than everyone else around her. She solves most problems easily and even when she makes mistakes, the consequences aren't as severe as for other characters. This is just makes her a boring character, it also deflates tension. She's practically a force prodigy and she's probably going to be trained by Luke, not of the villains seem threatening to her. This reduces the scope of development greatly compared to characters like Kylo.
>>
>>63990041
Not only that but her releasing the monsters saved them from the gang lads who were about to BTFO Han and Chewy.
>>
>gets captured
>gets raped
>gets mind fucked
>gets flung into a tree and her black bf comatose
>watches as han dies
>turns to true darkside anger mode at the end
>>
>>63990902
She doesn't get raped or mind fucked in the same way Poe did, and she easily overcomes her capture. Kylo and Finn suffered worse shit then she did, and also looked far less competent.
>>
>>63990334
>in V
>in the second installment of a trilogy
>judging a character solely on the first installment
You're retarded and your point is disproven by your own statement.
>>
>>63990508
easy for you and i maybe, but most people whove never used a gun arent immediately going to start bullseying targets especially in a real combat scenario
>>
>>63989577
The difference between "everything working out" and "having them win in the end" is one most evident in DnD. A good DM (providing you aren't a complete asshat) won't simply kill you are arbitrarily punish you for failing a skill roll. You will have something happen that wasn't expected and not good, but there will always be avenues to success if you are smart enough to find them. "Everything works out for them" is more like what happens with mary sues where nothing they "fail" matters in the slightest and they succeed at everything that matters just how they wanted.

Rey toes that line.
>>
>named Rey
>She's actually a clone
Subtle, J.J.
>>
>>63987933
Stop cherry picking faggot, is that all you could come up with?
>>
>>63987933
Don't forger
>gets paralyzed and captured by Kylo
>gets knocked out by a force push
>needs to be saved by Finn

TFA contrarians are just bitter a woman is the main character.
>>
>>63994974
She quickly recovers from both the capture and knock and overcomes and humiliates Kylo. She was also escaping fine on her own, Finn was the one who needed saving in the end.
>>
>>63990508

>things that never happened, now featuring anon
>>
>saves Leia
>blows up the Death Star on his first time flying an X-Wing
>kills multiple stormtroopers in his first real battle
>in his first time fighting in a lightsaber duel he holds his own against the greatest Jedi killer in history
>even manages to wound him
>learns how to force choke and do mind tricks on his own
>defeats the most feared man in the galaxy and a veteran warrior after only 3 years of mostly self-training

M A R Y S U E
>>
>>63995011
If Finn hadn't stepped in when Kylo KOed her, she would be in Kylo's hands again.

She defeated an injured and mentally fucked up Kylo.
>>
>>63995098
Nothing in the movie suggested that she would be kidnapped again, she was easily evading everyone. Rey should have been almost as mentally fucked. The issue isn't so much the justification for her winning, but the dramatic presentation of her overcoming Ren. It presents her as a force prodigy who is already proficient in using a lightsaber, this reduces tension and her scope for development.
>>
The book "Before the Awakening" tells us that Rey managed to scavenged a flight simulator program and basically spend what free time she has on it to the point that she has to set handicaps just to feel a challenge.

deal with it sexists
>>
>>63995069
The difference is that Luke didn't really eclipse everyone in competence in the first movie. Han was more streetwise, obi had a jedi stature that Luke had to aspire to and Vader remained intimidating. Rey is so much more compartment than everyone that she knows more about the Falcon then Han and humiliates Ren, who had easily overcame every other main hero.
>>
>>63995159
Are you dumb? He literally knocked her out with that Force push. If Finn wasn't there Rey would have been done for.
>>
>>63995234
Luke sure as hell eclipsed all those experienced rebel pilots when BTFO the Death Star.
>>
>>63995961
The point isn't that she doesn't make mistakes, its that she recovers from them quickly without consequences as severe as for other main characters. She isn't perfect, but she is so proficient that it limits the scope of development. In the context of that scene, we don't know what would have happened if Finn wasn't there, Rey may have been captured again, or she may have escaped again as she did your making a counter factual. All that is shown is Rey being slightly inconvenienced quickly recovering from it.
>>
>>63995986
Luke needed help from Han and Obi. And Rey eclipsed experienced imperial pilots.
>>
>>63995986
He also needed his ass saved twice. Once by Wedge and once by Han.
>>
>>63996709
That's like saying we don't know what would have happened if Han didn't shoot Vader in ANH. Luke was saved just like Rey was.

>>63996748
>>63996783
And Rey was saved by Finn. Also, Rey would have been shot down if Finn didn't man the turrets on the Falcon.
>>
>>63990086
^
|

Upvote
>>
>>63995177
>book
>not in the movie
Get the fuck outta here
>>
>>63996854
Rey was not saved by Finn, she was doing all of the hard work while Finn struggled to work a turret.
>>
>>63996854
Rey was running away from the imperial pilots fine on her own. Luke was established as a skilled pilot who still needed help from Obi and Han. In terms of presentation, Vader was just about to shoot and kill Luke, given that Rey is already so powerful in the force and given that Ren wanted her alive, its not unreasonable to think that she could have escaped again. In terms of other skills and demeanor, Luke was lacking compared to Vader, Obi and even Han, its not just an issue of who saves who. Just saying that Luke survived the The Death star while other experienced pilots isn't showing him in way that is better than the other main characters.

None of the characters in TFA measures up to Rey. Yes she may need assistance, but in terms of general competence, character and in terms of the consequences she suffers, its far different then any of the other main characters. The biggest issue is that it just makes her a boring character and makes the opposition seem trivial, the scope for growth seems minimal since she already has progressed so fast. This is in contrast to Ren who has vast rooms to develop.
>>
>>63987933
Her imperfections make her perfect
>>
File: 1450660740602.jpg (147 KB, 634x872) Image search: [Google]
1450660740602.jpg
147 KB, 634x872
>>63987933
Someone asked in another thread if you could see her armpits in this movie and I didnt get to reply so I'll post it here.

I counted 6 times

Twice when she met BB8(Kinda far)

Once when she took the bag off BB8(Kinda far)

Once when she was piloting the falcon(Close up, It wasnt TOO clear)

Once when she was fighting Kylo(Clear but dark. The light from the saber is shining on them)

Once when she was in the Falcon at the end of the movie(Side view, not much)

Also you could kinda see when she was firing at Kylo(Not too much)

I'll find you anon
>>
>>63990985
Poe got mindfucked, Rey was the one who ended up mindfucking Ren.
>>
>>63998170
Not that anon, but Rey's pit game was insane. JJ clearly has patrician tastes.
>>
>>63998648

>pitt game

she just has an unattractive low center of gravity
>>
>>63998747

did you really think that was funny
>>
>>63987990
That's like saying Finn is perfect even though he gets shit on by TRAITOR. How illogical are you? Are you 10?
>>
So she fucks up/loses about as much as the average Steven seagal character?
>>
File: fetal alcohol syndrome lips.png (61 KB, 138x170) Image search: [Google]
fetal alcohol syndrome lips.png
61 KB, 138x170
>>63987933
>fetal acohol syndrome
>physically retarded lips and eyes
When did anyone ever imply this thing is perfect in any way?
>>
File: fetal alcohole syndrome eyes.jpg (201 KB, 1964x1324) Image search: [Google]
fetal alcohole syndrome eyes.jpg
201 KB, 1964x1324
>>63999588
>>
>>63987933
Given she never flew with it before and only "almost" crashed it, this is an accomplishment, not fault.
Saving Han
no consequence, she fired it and killed the storm trooper seconds later
>>
>ywn be fitted with a lightsaber cock cage by a dark side Rey and have to avoid getting an erection that will burn your dick off all the while she tortures you with her feet and hurts you with her light saber whip
>>
>>63995177
>this detail that wasn't put in the main movie proves my point

woah so if I buy this book Rey becomes a good character?

Thanks, Jew Jew!
>>
>>64000573
nonetheless, none of those things would have been shown if not to illustrate imperfections. those things didn't sneak into the movie by accident.
>>
>>63987933

Fucking J.J. and his mary sue women leads I swear to god. First Alias, then Kate in Lost and now Rey.
>>
>>64001811
However they feel rather shoved in, like a capeshit villain learning their powers in a minute, and she never gets called for it.

Han tells Luke not to get cocky when he shoots down a single TIE. Would have been good pottery to have him tell rey the same thing, because she really was.
>>
>>63987933
I just realized, because I was too focused on her being a Mary sue and pulling off a Jedi Mind Trick without training... But how the fuck does she even know what a Jew Mind Trick is in the first place?
>>
Superman is a mary sue and nobody complains about him.

Oh wait, because he's a man.

/thread
>>
>>63987933
None of that matters because she can kick everyone's ass regardless.
Mary Sue+quirky doesn't make you less of a mary sue.
>>
>>63995069
>>saves Leia

Tries to save Leia's with Han's help, fails miserably, and actually ends up getting SAVED BY LEIA. If it hasn't been for her finding that garbage chute, he and Han would have died in that hallway.

>>blows up the Death Star on his first time flying an X-Wing

Immediately after being saved by Han, who stopped Vader from killing him.

>>in his first time fighting in a lightsaber duel he holds his own against the greatest Jedi killer in history

Vader wasn't trying to kill him though, he wanted him alive. And Luke had already had at least minimal training (presumably he'd been practicing in between IV and V, and we don't know exactly how long he was with Yoda)

>>learns how to force choke and do mind tricks on his own

After years and years of training. There are 3 years in between Episode V and VI, Luke spends most of that time improving as a Jedi. And even then, he completely fucks up and gets himself caught.

>>defeats the most feared man in the galaxy and a veteran warrior after only 3 years of mostly self-training

Fair enough. Although you could argue that Vader was emotionally conflicted, that he was never that powerful after getting into the suit and it's mostly propaganda (we never see him do anything exceptional with a lightsaber), and at the end 3 movies of growth and character development (and about 5+ years of training) is better than nothing. And you're leaving out the fact that Luke still failed in the end. He would have been killed by the Emperor if Vader hadn't intervened.

Time and time again, Luke nearly gets himself killed by his own incompetence and has to be saved by other characters. Especially in Episode IV, where he's borderline useless outside of being a good pilot and making that swing inside the Death Star. If Rey was as incompetent and whiny as Luke, people would be calling JJ Abrams a sexist.
>>
>>64002176
I complain about him when he's written poorly.
>>
>>64002176
F U L L R E T A R D
U
C
K

Y
O
U
>>
>>64002222
Quads are wasted on such a shitty post

https://twitter.com/MarkWaid/status/678769568693616640

Get fucked, TFA hater
>>
>>64002202
>If Rey was as incompetent and whiny as Luke, people would be calling JJ Abrams a sexist.

lol, just imagine A New Hope with Luke as a farmgirl and Leia as a prince.

>"Waah I can't leave my farm uncle said no!"
>"Help me Obi-Wan the Sand People have sticks!"
>"Help me Obi-Wan the guy at the bar is scary!"
>"Help me Prince my plan failed and now we're going to die if you don't save the day!"
>"Help me Han I can't blow up the Death Star without a man's help!"

The SJWs would have a field day.
>>
>>64002176

>write him as the usual mary sue he is in the comics
>people complain he's a mary sue
>write him with slightly more human depth where he makes mistakes, kills enemies because he doesn't have a choice, etc.
>people complain that its not muh superman
>>
>>64002176
I wish there were flags on /tv/ because I guarantee this is an australian
>>
File: 1436509099414.png (65 KB, 136x191) Image search: [Google]
1436509099414.png
65 KB, 136x191
>>64002278
>fanboy linking to twitter
>>
>>64002278
superman and rey are in VERY different levels and those characters have different concepts from the beggining

if you can't see this you're retarded
>>
>>64002278

Nice try

https://twitter.com/MarkWaid/status/678775830244286464
>>
>>64002278
Superman is a Mary sue depending on the story, no one complains about him because not many people read comics. I'm sure if you ask comic readers there is controversy about how he's portrayed.
>>
>>64002278
superman is also a shitty character
what's his point?
>>
File: 1448011443770.jpg (13 KB, 300x169) Image search: [Google]
1448011443770.jpg
13 KB, 300x169
>>64002300
>>64002295
>>64002347
>>64002323
>>64002388
>>64002361
>>64002358

>all these butthurt sexists
>>
>>63987933
Perfect in every way.

Mary Poppins remake, when?
>>
>>63995234
>>63996748
>>63997253
>rei eclipsed everyone
isn't that the fucking point? snoke foreshadows all that shit by saying "an awakening has occurred" and you're all surprised she's doing crazy shit?

also, I see this ren/rey fight talked about a lot like it means anything
did you all miss the part where the guy had a fucking laser hole in him? I imagine that affects your abilities to do anything well

I thought the movie was shit, but you're all retarded
>>
>>64001275
That sounds horrible. I'd rather just fuck her. Remember that? Having sex with a woman instead of having her stomp on your testicles?
>>
>>64002521
If thats the point then Rey becomes a boring character, her scope for development seems shallow and the opposition seem trivial. The problem with the fight isn't just the justification, but the dramatic presentation. Ren becomes considerably less threatening again, the villians arrayed against Rey seem pathetic in comparison to her potential and abilities, deflating tension and reducing the achievement of a final victory. The only interesting things is her internal conflict, but that seems largely resolved.
>>
>>64002640
And her internal conflict was lame as fuck
>muh family will come

Just a fairly shitty character
>>
>>64002202
>There are 3 years in between Episode V and VI,

The fact that you actually wrote means you are clinically brain dead.
>>
File: sjw_offensive.jpg (730 KB, 1080x1500) Image search: [Google]
sjw_offensive.jpg
730 KB, 1080x1500
>>64002448
>complains about shitty character who's a woman
>BAHH YOU'RE SEXIST
Stay retarded.
>>
File: image.jpg (31 KB, 650x280) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31 KB, 650x280
>Who's gonna fly it kid, you?
>You bet I could. I'm not such a bad pilot myself
STFU Luke you faggot, you'll get killed and Obi Wan knows it. I'm flying.

>Fast forward 35 years
>"Girl stronk! I can fly it dispite no experience!"
>>
>>64002512
I'd say mary poppins was less perfect.
She at least had a few character flaws in the books.
>>
>>64002640
uhh, no
all it means is she is (a) better than non-force sensitive normies and (b) can win a duel against a half trained sith that is bleeding out from a hole in his abdomen
>>
>>64003483
Considering that most people in the movie is a non force normie, it makes her better than almost everyone. And not just in force powers, but she has so many abilities of such proficiency that she even knows the falcon better than Han. She's can access the force and use it in an effective way very quickly, and she already has comparable skill in light saber combat to someone who was trained for years by Luke and Snoke, fought Jedi and whose power is implied in both the visual directory and novelization. If she can defeat such a opponent so early on, it already demonstrates immense power. How much more powerful is she going to become when luke trains her, I don't see Ren every catching up.
>>
>>64003346
What the fuck are you talking about? Luke BTFO the Death Star on his first time flying an X-Wing.
>>
>>64003748
They explicitly said an xwing was the same as the thing he used to blast womprats in
>>
>>64003701
Whoa there. Kylo didn't defeat anyone of note. The only impressive thing he did was stop a blaster bolt. Kylo could be the shittiest duelist ever for all we know.
>>
>>64003772
I don't remember anyone saying anything like that but at any rate blasting womprats is a bit different from fast paced dog fights with imperial TIE fighters.
>>
>>64003790

That computer console and interrogation chair got totally BTFO.
>>
>>64003820
Dude, they said exactly.
It's even become something of a joke
>>
>>64003790
If that's the case then the something went wrong in how Ren was meant to be portrayed. Because from most official sources, Ren is stated to be very skilled and powerful. And its difficult to take Snoke seriously if he makes his apprentice the shittest duelist ever. And even if what you say is true, it still removes the tension and challenge which Rey faces.
>>
>>64003820
The womprat thing was about the shot to the DS weak spot. In the actual fight he had to be rescued by Han.
>>
>>64003879
*exactly that
>>
>>64003879
T-16 is a flying car. T-65 is a warplane.
>>
>>63989947
fuck off max
>>
>>64003881
Most official sources say he has a fiery temper, and that's about all.
>>
>>64002176
Everybody hates superman because he's too perfect
>>
>>64003701
>it makes her better than almost everyone
this is why everyone is using luke as an argument to your retarded logic
force users are better than everyone in every single star wars film to date

>she even knows the falcon better than Han
han is like 80 years old, hasn't been on his ship in 20 plus years and by all accounts is probably not a very proficient mechanic
no doubt he is likely a very good pilot, but fixing spaceships is not one of his characteristics

>has comparable skill in light saber combat to someone...
again, he had a fucking laser hole in him

>trained for years by Luke and Snoke
completely assumption
absolutely zero mention of how long he had been trained under either luke or snoke

>If she can defeat such a opponent so early on
laser hole in his abdomen, possibly dying, etc. etc.
continue ignoring this

>How much more powerful is she going to become when luke trains her, I don't see Ren every catching up.
probably pretty strong
I imagine cyborg sith ren (the non-dying kind) will be significantly more potent also
>>
>>64003881
They're trying to have their cake and eat it too, anon. Kylo is supposed to be "muh weak fallible character" which is blatantly contradicted by canon sources, even going as far to call him "almost unstoppable on the battlefield". He's a powerful force user who's angsty as fuck.
>>
>>63987933
Because
>Guy is skilled and a quick learner: MAN HE'S SO BASED AND ALPHA FUCKING AWESOME MAN
>Woman is skilled and a quick learner: FUCKING MARY SUE BITCH CUNT WHORE FUCK YOU KIKE MEDIA FUCK I HATE WOMEN SO MUCH >tfw no gf ;_;
>>
>>63989947
perfect
>>
>>64003881
Kylo is a kid trying to be as badass as his grandpa, but he can't quite cut it. That's his character, and losing to Rey is in-ine with that.
>>
>>63991052
> Luke gets his ass kicked in IV
>>
>>64002176
people complain about him all the time
>>
>>64003995
>no doubt he is likely a very good pilot, but fixing spaceships is not one of his characteristics

fucking kill yourself
>>
>that face
>not perfect

Pick one
>>
>>64004037
why does tumblr even come here? does it hurt your feelings to know that people that don't like the things you like exist?
>>
>>64003995
man i really want to agree with you, but all i can see is really shitty writing. it's really not our faults when the fucking director was fucking around with pandering bullshit instead of answering any of the plotholes that he leaves for the next movie to answer. fucking lazy kike
>>
>>64003900
He was only rescued by Han because he refused to abandon the mission. If he had flown off before that Vader wouldn't have been able to shoot him down. It's not like Vader out-skilled him or anything.
>>
>>64004071
why does /pol/ even come here? does it hurt your feelings to know that people that don't like the things you like exist?
>>
you forgot fucking (to be fair wounded) Kylo Ren up
>>
>>64004102
>literally complaining about people not liking your favorite OC DONUT STEEL character
>hurr stop liking what i dun liek

autism
>>
>>64003995
Luke in the first movie was not more competent then Han in mechanics and flying, Obi had a Jedi stature for Luke to aspire to and Vader still remained intimidating. Luke was clearly not more proficient to the main characters in all respective fields the same way Rey is. Han should probably know how to fix his ship in a comprehensive say, given that he probably had to make many impromptu fixes while on the run

I'm not ignoring the justification, I realize that it can be explained, my problem is with the dramatic presentation of Rey acquiring the abilities to overcome Ren so early, added on to all her competencies. I don't think being a cyborg helped any of the star wars characters become more powerful then they would be organically.
>>
>Luke
Got rekt by the tusken raiders, needed Obi Wan to save him
Nearly got killed by the men in the cantina, needed Obi Wan to save him
Needed Leia and Han to cover his ass constantly during the rescue mission, which ended up being a clusterfuck
Screwed up deflecting blaster bolts while Obi Wan was training him, never actually does that until 2 movies later
Rarely used his lightsaber at all
Needs C3PO to interpret droids for him
Initially annoyed Han and Leia with his naivete and innocence
Needed R2 to save him from being crushed by the trash compactor
Needed Obi Wan to protect him from Vader
Needed Wedge to protect him from a TIE fighter during the trench run
Needed Han to save him from Vader during the trench run
Piloted competently, didn't do anything the other rebel pilots couldn't do (except aim the torpedo)
Used the force once

>Rey
Beat up four guys by herself
Skilled marksman
Skilled mechanic
Knew more about the Millennium Falcon than Han and Chewie, who piloted and repaired it for years
Piloted the Millennium Falcon by herself competently enough to outmaneuver two TIE fighters, even though it required two pilots
Gets kidnapped once, ends up saving herself anyways
Better at using the Force than Kylo, who trained under Luke for years
Instantly knowledgeable about probing minds, telekinesis, and using Jedi mindtricks
Instantly skilled at using a lightsaber
Has super saiyan jedi mode, which no other jedi has ever used in the movies
May have possibly learned all of this at the ripe young age of 4, depending on her backstory
Instantly liked by everyone
Instantly trusted by the Resistance to go on a mission to find Luke, even though they barely knew her
Can speak Droid and Wookie fluently
>>
>>64004047
And that's an interesting character that I like, he just isn't a good villain for Rey.
>>
>>64004170
I spoke the truth about a sexist double standard. You're the one getting butthurt over a movie.
>>
>>64004207
he used the force on the torpedo, but you made your point
>>
>>64004229
>smashthepatriarchy
>truth

and you're getting butthurt over differing opinions. so much so you have to try and paint real actual people as the boogeyman keeping you down because they have different tastes. absolutely pathetic.
>>
>>64004226
He's hardly the main villain. Snoke is the main villain and there are the rest of the Knights of Ren as well.
>>
>>64004280
>n-n-no ur the one w-who's butthurt!!!!!!!1

you seem upset
>>
>>64004304
Kylo is stated to be the strongest of the knights of Ren, so I don't see them as much more threatening. So far I'm not impressed by Snoke, but I hope he is presented well next movie.
>>
File: clark.jpg (36 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
clark.jpg
36 KB, 640x360
>>64004207
Hmm, curious how you forgot to mention Luke defeated Darth Vader with barely any training, or how Kylo took out Rey twice in the movie, or how she wouldn't have escape the TIE fighters without Finn on the guns. It's almost like your biased or something.
>>
>>64004346
>umadbro
>2004+11

lol
>>
>>64004362
Well, lets not forget Kylo was badly injured and mentally fucked up in their fight. He rekt her before that when he was on his game.
>>
>>64004397
>curious how you forgot to mention Luke defeated Darth Vader with barely any training

I wasn't aware there was a Luke v Vader fight in Star Wars 1977
>>
>>64004183
>my problem is with the dramatic presentation of Rey acquiring the abilities to overcome Ren so early
I agree, I'm not arguing this
it's just pointless getting mad about this kind of thing now
in the prequels a 9 year old boy flies a spaceship (by all accounts he's never been in a vehicle outside of his pod racer) and destroys a spacestation on his own
in the original trilogy luke destroys the death star on his maiden space voyage
>>
>>64004229
>sexist
lol
>>
>>64004397
His points are all made from the first movie. Get fucked nerd.
>>
Everyone here seems to be missing the point. Rey is Anakin, who did even crazier shit, as a child. Anyone who doesn't see the "Kylo becomes good and Rey goes dark" coming is full retard. She needs to be the more powerful one, as she's eventually going to be the big baddie.
>>
>>64004445
And people fucking hate episode one. Skywalker had just one daring accomplishment the whole damn film and Obi wan guided him to it, that's how you do it right.
>>
>>64004494
Speculation. We're dealing in facts and the events that actually transpired.
>>
>>64004435
>>64004451
Oh, Jesus Christ. Luke had a couple of hours with Ben in ANH and a few days with Yoda in ESB and RotJ. The rest was just self-training and guess what? Luke learned hot to mind trick people on his own, too. The Force is instinctual, it's not about super secret techniques and shit.
>>
>>64004499
how mad are you guys gonna be when it turns out anakin was never the chosen one

rey will bring balance

rey bless
>>
>>64004566
He did it after 3 years
Rey does it in an afternoon
>>
>>64004534
The novel makes it pretty clear.
>>
>>64004601
She had training before she was memory-wiped. Kylo unlocked it when he tried to mind rape her.
>>
>>64004566
Nice job passing off "Self-training" as if Lukes self training over the course of 4 years is the same as Rey learning how to do it instantly
>>
>>64004566
Luke learned it in three films and witnessed Obi Wan do it. Quit being ao desperate and just admit the faults to Rey, she's a perfect snowflake that can't fail and it detracts from her character
>>
>>64003790
His version of Vader's force choke was pretty damn cool.
>>
>>64004494
>the guy who killed his father is gonna make a comeback
>a little girl turning into the big bad
I don't see it
>>
>>64004534
The problem with that is that this is part of a planned trilogy. We need to see all of the movie before we know if it makes sense or not.
>>
>>64004566
Luke knew the mind trick was a thing because he saw Ben do it, who in turn gave him a quick explanation of how it worked.

Rey broke out that and pretty much every other force trick out of nowhere. it was cringe as fuck.
>>
>>63989947
Inaccurate, John Cena has actually lost fights.
>>
>>63987990
>everything works out
That's because the Force and the writers are always on their side.
>>63995159
>Nothing in the movie suggested that she would be kidnapped again
You're right. She was probably going to be killed.
>>
>>64004634
>>64004639
Oh, he watched Obi-Wan look at some guy and tell him these aren't the droids they're looking for and that taught Luke everything he needed to know about the mind trick. That makes so much sense.

The fact is even the chosen one spent over a decade training to become a great warrior, Luke did it all in a fraction of the time. If he can get a pass, so should Rey.
>>
>>64004629
Any proof? She looked about 4 in her flashback.
>>
>>64004660
Shit excuse. ANH was a great stand alone movie in its own right. Keeping things mysterious because a trilogy is planned does not give JJ(and he's so famous for this) the right to just leave plotholes for "muh mysteriousness."
>>
>>64004566
Not them, but the real problem is that Luke mind tricked a low guard for entrance without being frisked and then was quickly told by Jabba that that shit doesn't fly with him, while Rey used it to escape and to kick the mental ass of the movie's big bad.
>>
>>64004714
Given that Kylo offered to train her, and that he still needed the map, I doubt so.
>>
>>64004744
I agree that series should avoid ending with lots of questioned answers, but ESB strikes back is almost universally agreed to be the best Star Wars movie and It is not a good stand alone movie, It ends on several cliff hangers
>>
>>64004738
More like Luke saw it done, and was given and explanation, and then did it himself after two movies worth of training
>>
>>64004629
>Kylo unlocked it
I'm pretty sure that if she was mind-wiped, the lightsaber unlocked it when it gave her all those visions. It just took her time to reboot.
>>
>>63987933
droid please
>>
>>64004749
>>64004802
Rey could have heard about the mind trick. Watto and Jabba knew about it so it must be famous. She probably thought it was just a legend until Han confirmed it.
>>
>>64004823
That's also possible. The imprint left from Anakin and Luke could have awakened her own powers.
>>
File: 1307346605300.jpg (7 KB, 252x216) Image search: [Google]
1307346605300.jpg
7 KB, 252x216
>>64004850
>Being this defensive of Rey's character
>>
>>64004832
She's not a droid, she's an artificial lifeform. LIFEform. Able to use, and part of, the Force.

She was made by NotPlag... I MEAN SNOKE!
>>
>>64004850
Maybe she could have, but it wasn't in the movie. In the context of the movie, she just went full "OC DONUT STEEL" out of nowhere and that's what makes it so laughable.

If the next two show that she had some prior training that was "unlocked", fine. But right now she really is the same mart sue character that sonic fans write about
>>
>>64004906
Excellent counter-argument, my man.
>>
>>64004936
>we want the BSG audience!
>>
>>64004941
Oh I agree. If she didn't have any prior training it would too much, but I'm convinced she does.
>>
>>64004943
It's not worth arguing with someone who is so deluded that they think "Maybe she heard about it and thought it was just a legend but when Han said it was true she secretly learnt how to do it" is justification for Rey near-instantly learning how to do it
>>
Do they ever explain what the fuck that staff is supposed to be (outside of Snoke's lightsaber conjecture shit), or am I to expect it's just a metaphor for the warm black dingus?
>>
Rey is the clone of an ancient Jedi. All the clues are there. Her use of the Force/lightsaber comes from her former life.

Clones are still a thing (Hux mention them). I think that Luke found some genetic material in an old Jedi temple and created himself a "daughter". Luke wouldn't view a clone as inferior, just like he doesn't view droids as less than human.
>>
File: 14508833234110.png (773 KB, 1246x1034) Image search: [Google]
14508833234110.png
773 KB, 1246x1034
>>
>>63990207
talk to the hand, betch
>>
File: triple-h-nod.gif (2 MB, 200x177) Image search: [Google]
triple-h-nod.gif
2 MB, 200x177
>>64005116
>>
But Ray is flawed as fuck
>confused by some visions
>didn't pinpoint Luke's exact position instantly
>wasn't able to prevent Star Killer from destroying those planets
>couldn't save Han Solo
>didn't destroy Snowden
>>
>>63987933
how did she knew how to use jedi mind tricks and the force to get her lightsabre
>>
>>64005265

Those aren't flaws those are plot points.

A character needs flaws. Actual flaws that affect the story.

If Rey s disinterest with Finn was because she hates niggers, that would have made her interesting. Maybe she chooses not to work with him because he's a Dindu and must learn to find common ground to survive.

Rey doesn't need anyone s help to win in the movie.
>>
>>63990062
She has already been trained in the force before, she just has been mindwiped.
>>
>>64003346

This shit is getting moronic

Ray explicitly says she has had experience flying.

She spends the first 5 minutes flying the falcon into the ground/things.
>>
>>63987933

Then goes on flying with it and escaping TIE fighters like a professional pilot.

>>accidentally releases the cartoon alien monsters from their cages

which allows Han to escape. Also she saves Finn's ass.

>>fucks up firing a pistol

But still manages to kill a couple of stormies.

>>63989577
>runs stupidly away from allies and gets frozen/mindread/ko'd by Kylo after finding Luke's saber

Then manages to free herself without anyone's help.
>>
>>64005328
She was so afraid Kylo will rape her while she immobilized
>>
>>64004850
>Could have heard

You realize that you're grasping at anything yo can, right? We never once hear her have any knowledge of these mind tricks. She knows about the Jedi, true, but to what extent we don't know. The fact that she is able to use both Jedi mind tricks and able to use the force to retrieve her light saber (all of which happens in a small period of time, 1-2 weeks tops) is some bullshit, lazy-ass writing. A lot of the problems in this movie is that they bring so many things to the table but never give us a reason to care or a decent explanation as to how they got there.
>>
File: star-wars-rey.jpg (85 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
star-wars-rey.jpg
85 KB, 800x533
>>63998648
>tfw your pits are so hot the director separates your sleeves from your shirt
>>
>>63987933
The problem with TFA is that I think it will be just like Trek '09 in that it will be completely skipable after the sequel comes out. The sequel will just be a better version of this film and we'll wonder why they didnt just start there? It feels like the part 1 movie of a young adult series' last book, a holding pattern to take twice as much money from fans for the same amount of work.

Given how much the defenders of this flick talk about the sequel, you might never need or want to go back to TFA, just read a 2 sentence summary.
>>
>>64004743
Jedi are usually trained from a young age.
>>
>>64002202
>And even then, he completely fucks up and gets himself caught.
But wasn't getting caught part of his plan?
>>
>>64005609
tell me one memory you have from being three years old

im a different guy, seriously one memory that isn't like a birthday or some shit. the movie does a pretty decent job at trying to cover up how shitty of a character she is, but the layers are thin, pull those back and its obvious that rey is a mary sue
>>
>>64005718

OF COUUURSE
>>
>>64005837
Well, by that logic she wasn't three years old then, because she could remember when she was left on Jakku.
>>
>>64005418
And the next 5 masterfully flying through crevices almost the size of her massive ship, while evading two fighter pilots, and pulling masterful maneuvers to defeat said fighter pilots.
>>
>>64005539

She must have smelled so bad by the end of the movie. Maybe that's how she beat Ben.
>>
>>64005401
>amnesia
Even dumber.
Sounds like a fanfic now
>>
>>63987933
>almost

>monsters save the day and don't kill Finn because plot armor

>and experiences no negative consequences

Even when she's not perfect, she's still saving the day or has plot armor that prevents her from being endangered.
Thread replies: 188
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.