[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Revenant
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 9
File: 1450826407890.png (453 KB, 1078x587) Image search: [Google]
1450826407890.png
453 KB, 1078x587
Has Leo finally lost his mind?
>>
>>63978906
He was groaning and grunting because he was getting raped by a grizzly bear you insensitive cunt
>>
For real , I know he was mauled by a bear and shit but he really couldn't have some witty banter?
>>
>clever dialogue

literally reddit the critic
>>
Is this, perhaps, the peak of acting, and we can't really take in how good it actually is?
>>
He grunted and groaned because that's what the story called for. Even if you think Leo can't do anything besides that, you can't say he didn't fit the role
>>
Critic should keep it at the newsroom or the west wing
>>
>>63978906
oh look, the dopey face we've seen him do in all his movies. Leo's a fucking hack.
>>
>>63979083
This. Why wasn't there at least a quip about how "unbearable" it was? It's like they didn't even want a decent imdb rating from me.
>>
>>63978906
Yes, we really need Leo to talk about "oh man it's chilly outside, i wish it wasn't so cold"
>>
>>63978906
>clever dialogue
>marvel quips
>>
His performance was very, very physical. Anybody willing to put themselves through the physical work could have done it. There was very little emotion required and anybody who thinks it's Oscar worthy is ridiculous.

Also not helping is the fact that his "performance" doesn't start until a full hour in when he's all alone. Plus the plot of the movie is total shit, a painfully slow 2.5 hours and then it resolves itself with a quick action scene.
>>
>clever dialogue
>>
>>63979311

But what about his Oscar? Doesn't he deserve a pity Oscar even?
>>
>>63978906
>gritty movie about revenge or something
>'needs clever dialogue'

Go watch a JJ Abrams movie you cuck
>>
>no quips or one-liners while basically getting mauled to death

Shit movie, I mean where were the jokes?
>>
>>63978906
the worst part about this meme is that they'll probably give him one just for the ratings.
>>
Was he supposed to talk the bear about of raping him?
>>
>>63979083

This, he should have said something clever like
>asta la vista bear
>winnie the pooh has mercy I don't

instead we got shitty grunting
>>
DANCE OFF BEAR
>>
The dialogue was shit. Forget the quips, it was just all-around flat.
>>
>>63979311
>there was very little emotion required
The fuck.

Did you just copypste a comment about last year's Redmayne performance or what? It literally doesn't make sense here.
>>
>>63979548

What exactly was shitty about it? The dialogue was and it's minimal use of it fine, Hardy especially was pretty good.
>>
>>63979719
>Hardy especially was pretty good.
Why?
>>
>>63979759
Hardy was great in this
>>
>I'm going to natural philosophy the tarnation out of this!
>>
>>63979759
He's a big guy
>>
>>63979794
Why?
>>
>>63979278
>Leo's a fucking hack.

Seriously, watch the movie. I don't really like him but fuck, without him, I wouldn't even call this shit a "movie". He did a great job with no story, no dialogues, no characters, nothing.

He turn a shit into something barely watchable.

Also, I would have call it "GRRRRRR" or "CRUNT", not "The Revenant".
>>
>>63978906
Yes. He has Al Gore's cock too far up his ass.
>>
>>63979836
>I wouldn't even call this shit a "movie"

Back to reddit
>>
>>63978906

>movie about a guy surviving a bear attack and then chasing down the people who betrayed him
>"clever dialogue"
>film """"""""""""""""critics""""""""""""""""
>>
>>63979759

He acted well and delivered his lines well. His character was not a one dimensional bad guy, he actually tried to do well and in the end he was just looking out for himself in an extremely harsh environment. His character was ruthless yet it had a soft spot and Hardy sold that character.
>>
this movie is really really good but its gonna tank with critics and most likely with the average audience
>>
>>63980183

I think it will do well with critics, it's the general audience that's not gonna drool over this. Especially considering that it cost 130 million to make.
>>
It's a generic western, all cliches in terms of story, characters, and setting. The only thing setting it apart is the "dark and gritty" elements and the LEO NEEDS HIS OSCAR buzz. Very, very mediocre movie.
>>
File: 2slow.jpg (47 KB, 728x409) Image search: [Google]
2slow.jpg
47 KB, 728x409
>Clever Dialogue

I want to watch this faggot watch "Jermiah Johnson" and give it a bad review because "The characters weren't witty enough, and didn't have quips back and forth like my fav. Buffy episode :^)"

I want these people dead.
>>
>>63980718
westerns usually dont explore so deeply into primal instincta and usually dont view confrontation from such a philosophical angle
>>
>>63980718
What other westerns take place during winter and follows trappers who get attacked by a tribe of indians where they have to flee and the man who is their tracker gets attacked by a bear and has to get revenge on the man who killed his son and left him for dead?
>>
>>63978906
He's trying so hard to get an oscar it's making him an unnatural actor

face it /tv/ he never had the believably or authenticity that someone like Al Pacino, Denzel Washington, Christian Bale, even fucking Johnny Depp or Mark Walhberg has

He's a gimmicky everyman, who has enjoyable roles, but will never win an oscar for his acting ability
>>
>>63980418
i think its gonna tank with critics like the one above who give marvel movies and other WITTY action flicks great reviews, and the market is actually pretty saturated with this type of reviewer
>>
>>63981044
High Noon
>>
>>63979819
Good characterization of a foil to Glass. Glass' survival ordeal is very much physical, battling against nature and the wilderness. Fitzgerald is a survivor who defies the spooks of proto-capitalist/industrial society.
>>
>>63981070
i really liked the movie and he actually did a very convincing job unlike his other roles, but he blew away his oscar with that scene where he digs himself out and crawls to his sons corpse, that really felt overracted and unnatural
>>
>muh dialogue

what a pleb
>>
>>63981172
>Good characterization of a foil to Glass.
Why are you crediting all this to Hardy's acting?
>>
>>63981560
Because he portrayed that character well. He came across as a survivor with that rough, britbong poise he's renowned for.
>>
>>63978906
Damn, rickety cricket's in this movie?
>>
>>63981647
You still haven't given one single reason as to why Hardy was so good. You've basically said
>it was a good character because of this stuff that happened in the movie
>he played it well
>>
>>63981696
not the op youre fighting with but his mannerims and general attitude were really convincing, to the point where all he does is "evil" shit but hardys performance still made it look human making the viewer sometimes sympathetic with his troubles
>>
>>63981772
I will accept this but it's still poorly thought out. How did he, Hardy, make his character sympathetic? Again I'm talking about what the actor did, not his character's background.
>>
>>63981833
take for instance the scene where he tries to convice the boy it was okay to leave glass in the snow, he has to be at the same time convincing and but dosplay a subtle sense of insecurity, hardy did it very well, if you put an actor like di caprio he would have either done it to cold and direct(displaying him as a psychopath) or far less subtle, giving away the feeling no one would be convinced he was sure what he was saying
>>
>>63982059
That was very average acting.
>>
>>63978906
>clever dialogue

What is this guys favorite film? I bet it is something Tarantino
>>
>>63982108
why do you try so hard to make me elaborate on why i think he did goodand you wont even counter my argument elaborately
>>
leo always overacts, he's so shitty

literally reddit: the actor
>>
>>63982162
You thought what you thought, I thought what I thought.
>>
>clever dialog
literally worse than Hitler
>>
Why didn't Leo deliver witty one liners while the Titanic was sinking? I mean that's tragic and all but what we really need is clever dialogue while people are drowning and shit
>>
>>63982172
well i just dont think that in a world where most "average actors" like di caprio or wahlberg tatum depp etc not to list all the a listers dont do scenes like that very subtly and tend to overact this instance can be considered average
>>
>>63982268
How do you know they would have overracted? Tom Hardy is also not known for his subtlety looking at his filmography.
>>
>>63978906

>clever dialogue

oh no! this movie doesnt have snappy quips like my avengers meme movies? TRASHED!
>>
File: 1443718886392.jpg (3 MB, 3200x4136) Image search: [Google]
1443718886392.jpg
3 MB, 3200x4136
>>63980837
>I want to watch this faggot watch "Jermiah Johnson" and give it a bad review because "The characters weren't witty enough, and didn't have quips back and forth like my fav. Buffy episode :^)"
>>
>>63982310
how do you know someone else would have done better?
also this is his first non meme movie, im not saying hes the best there is at the moment, but he is pretty fresh out there and he is doing well so far
>>
>>63982423
>non meme movie
I was trying to have a meaningful conversation, but you just had to show your shitposting.
>>
>>63982545
you know exactly what i meant, refn and nolan movies are pretty gimmicky, and him portraying a more than human character like bronson with refn doesnt help, he also starred in a guy ritchie knock off who is also gimmicky and mad max where he didnt get much ability to act properly considering the main character is the action
i could have said this originally but i used meme as an umbrella term for all of this shit at once
>>
>>63982678
>what I don't like is a meme movie
OK.
>>
>>63979034
does he really get raped by a bear? the fuck?
>>
>>63978906
Well, he was attacked by a fucking bear, the bear cuts his fucking throat, what do you expect? Jokes?

Critics are fucking lowlives who failed at life, they are worst than a fucking neet
>>
>>63982730
>implying i didnt like some of the movies i described in the post, i dont use meme as a derogatory term
>>
>>63982809
Maybe you should stop using this "meme-X" meme if you want to be taken seriously.
>>
WHY IS LEO OUR GUY AGAIN?

SOMEONE REMIND ME
>>
>>63982786
>Critics are fucking lowlives who failed at life, they are worst than a fucking neet

i agree with you even when i agree with them

those who can't do, teach
and those who can't even do that, turn complaining and/or shilling into a career
>>
>>63978906
Film was 7/10 at best. Good cinematography, but barely any tension until the fight with Leo and Hardy.
>>
>>63981172
You just described the character, what does that have to do with hardy?
>>
>>63982906
tension is as overrated as witty dialog, why would you want tension in a philosophical exploration of survival insticts, leo is fucking maimed what do you expect him to do? drop his cane and backflip into an indian village and kill everybody
>>
>>63982906
>tension
Why do you want this? This movie was more of a study of will and revenge.
>>
he picks shitty rolls/movies
>>
>>63979836
>He did a great job with no story, no dialogues, no characters

b-but there are characters and dialogue.
>>
people are really misreading this film, i guess its the star power and budget so everyone is looking at it like blockbuster and not a film exploring human behaviour
>>
File: badass-hughglass.jpg (33 KB, 251x326) Image search: [Google]
badass-hughglass.jpg
33 KB, 251x326
>>63978906
The crazy thing is that this is actually a true story. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Glass
>>
WHO WAS THE GIRL THE INDENS WERE LOOKING FOR
>>
>>63983733
i thought she was the one being raped by the french, and the one that glances over at glass when they pass him
>>
>>63983733
i thought she was the one that glances over at glass at the end, and the one raped by the french
>>
>>63983145
He's never been good with bread
>>
File: carlos.jpg (17 KB, 210x240) Image search: [Google]
carlos.jpg
17 KB, 210x240
>>63979034

Why didn't he just grin and bear it?
>>
Just give him a fucking Oscar. He's fucking dying from acting so hard
>>
File: 1421622037998.jpg (37 KB, 400x386) Image search: [Google]
1421622037998.jpg
37 KB, 400x386
>>63979278
>>63979311
>>63979548
>>63979836
>>63981833
>>63982108
>>63982906
>tfw you share a board with these fucking plebs
>>
>>63985909
>there are people on /tv/ right now who think Sicario was bad because there was no "bad guy"
>>
>>63984027
the circumstances were far too grizzley
>>
>>63985909
https://4ch.be/_/search/filename/1421622037998.jpg/
>tfw share a board with obvious tourists
>>
so we all agree the ginger was the coolest bro and it was bullshit he was killed just so leo would be paired then alone, yes?
>>
>>63986415
and there's nothing you can do about it cuckboi
>>
File: goodnight.jpg (9 KB, 242x208) Image search: [Google]
goodnight.jpg
9 KB, 242x208
>>63987001
I can tell you to kill yourself.
>>
I quite liked it tho family. Leo was good and Hardy was incredible
>>
WHY IS INARATU ALLOWED TO STEAL CUARON'S STYLE?
>>
>>63987697
its not cuarons style

its mexican style
>>
>>63987138
u first
>>
>>63983733
just same made up character for the movie so that they could spin it into the evil whites being responsible for the native attacks, not just the natives being thieves and murdering people.

glass was later killed by le noble savages but no annotation at the end to that.
>>
>>63988386
jesus this shit is getting boring now. Nevermind any pol shit

you cant even hate the chauvinist ethnocentric group trying to kill you, there has to be a scene that you "see their side"
>>
battle scenes were good. surprised how great the shots were with natural lighting.
will win best cinemat. but no oscar for leo
>>
>clever dialogue

What the fuck does he think he's watching a tbs sitcom? What an idiot.
>>
>>63988386
the girl was the one who was being raped. She was kidnapped by those guys who gave the others the horses to look for his daughter.

honestly the natives looked just as bad as the whites
>>
>>63984027

God fucking DAMMIT CARLOS
>>
>>63979759
Nice meme.
>>
>>63986843
Nah. Ever since that retard got based Oscar Isaac killed in ex machina I've hated his beta face
>>
>>63989551
i know i expected to hate him bc of that and his faggy hitler shit in TFA, so i was surprised how cool a dude he was
>>
>>63984027
CARLOS.
>>
File: image.jpg (22 KB, 190x318) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22 KB, 190x318
>>63978906
Does this guy appear?
>>
yes because it would totally be funny and quirky if he would've talked by himself in the woods on the edge of dying. lol what the fuck.
>>
Yeah because a 19th century lumberjack that spends his days murdering hunting beaver and fighting native Americans and in the first part of the movie watches his son die and then gets mauled by a fucking bear would have lots of things to say when he's walking around alone dying in the woods.
Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.