[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has there ever been a character in televions that embodies masculinity
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 13
File: hqdefault-2.jpg (17 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault-2.jpg
17 KB, 480x360
Has there ever been a character in televions that embodies masculinity more then Al Bundy?
>>
>wears a barracuda jacket

Yea, he's manly
>>
>Never try to understand women. Women understand women, and they hate eachother.

I live my life by this credo and it's never let me down.
>>
File: Al Swearengen.jpg (847 KB, 1403x2431) Image search: [Google]
Al Swearengen.jpg
847 KB, 1403x2431
>>63961518
Yes
>>
>>63961518
>tfw a character Al like can't exist today
>>
>Cries all the time when things don't go his way or he has to have sex with his wife

No.
>>
Why did you bully Kelly, /tv/?

>>63961518
There isn't. He's what Don Draper should have been. A man without a thing in the world just doing his best.
>>
the broke loser with an obnoxius wife that never cooks for him, a whore daughter and a son that is basically /tv/?

You have interesting role models anon.
>>
>>63961803
Sure it can. But Peggy would be the voice of reason that can't do anything wrong.

Al was always a satire of the nuclear family father, but at the same time taking the piss on everything. He would have more emphasis at being wrong, like that Parks And Recreation character with the mustache. A hamfisted man-man that liberals can laugh at.
>>
>>63961890
It's not a matter of role models. Al is what men are, not what they want to be.

It's the opposite of wish-fulfillment,
>>
>>63961697
>>63961518
Als could be pals, I'm sure.
>>
>>63961898
Unless someone like Tina Fey is writing the show. Despite being a liberal, 30 Rock did a great job staying neutral and having Jack portrayed in a great light without being a Mary Sue.
>>
>>63961697
Yeah, Swearengen and Tony Soprano are the alphaest guys on TV.
>>
Sam Malone. Heck even Ron Memeson is more manly than Al.
>>
>>63961961
Jack is portrayed a great dumb-ass though. Pretty much everyone on 30 Rock is portrayed as a idiot.
>>
>>63961973
>Ron Swanson, the le angry mustache man
>more masculine then Al
Underaged detected.
>>
What about charlie sheen in 3 - half a man
>>
>>63961890
Everything is going against him but he's not letting it erode him, Al is a fucking granite rock
>>
File: al_real_love.jpg (97 KB, 701x540) Image search: [Google]
al_real_love.jpg
97 KB, 701x540
>>63961518
GOAT..
>there will never be a show similiar in misoginy and fathate
>>
>>63962163
>So you think I'm a loser? Just because I have a stinking job that I hate, a family that doesn't respect me, a whole city that curses the day I was born? Well, that may mean loser to you, but let me tell you something. Every morning when I wake up, I know it's not going to get any better until I go back to sleep again. So I get up, have my watered-down Tang and still-frozen Pop Tart, get in my car with no upholstery, no gas, and six more payments to fight traffic just for the privilege of putting cheap shoes on the cloven hooves of people like you. I'll never play football like I thought I would. I'll never know the touch of a beautiful woman. And I'll never again know the joy of driving without a bag on my head. But I'm not a loser. 'Cause, despite it all, me and every other guy who'll never be what he wanted to be are still out there being what we don't want to be forty hours a week for life. And the fact that I haven't put a gun in my mouth, you pudding of a woman, makes me a winner.
>>
>>63962037
Yes, but a dumbass who was correct in many things. He just wasn't fit to run a TV-station, but his speeches on vertical integration, how politics/elections worked and his views on society were almost always validated or at least, shown as partially correct. I can't say the same of say, Denny Crane in Boston Legal, who was also a great male character embodying masculinity values.

It's still possible to have right-wing characters who aren't just villains or retarded, but the modern media is very biased against them so we usually don't get them. Even the center of the political spectrum is treated as right wing extremism by the public, and we can see this very clearly with the feedback Homeland is receiving.
>>
>>63961518
al bundy was supposed to be a mockery of masculinity

no maam was supposed to be a mockery.

but you can't expect mra babbys on /tv to grasp that
>>
>>63962455
We got that, but even a satire can be more truthful then other renditions.
>>
File: dan-lauria-GC.jpg (51 KB, 534x410) Image search: [Google]
dan-lauria-GC.jpg
51 KB, 534x410
huh
>>
File: forman.jpg (29 KB, 307x400) Image search: [Google]
forman.jpg
29 KB, 307x400
baka
>>
>>63962262
Absolutely based
>>
File: download.jpg (13 KB, 203x248) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
13 KB, 203x248
didn't think this one through did ya
>>
>>63962706
>That scene where they were talking about hiding boners with his son
>>
that guy sure is dumb
>>
>>63962706
>fat american getting a heart attack and dying
the american dream
>>
File: BasedBurns.png (296 KB, 500x373) Image search: [Google]
BasedBurns.png
296 KB, 500x373
>>63961518
>>
>>63962782
WHO'S THAT MAN WITH THE DEADBEAT JOB
HAS A WITCH FOR WIFE AND 4 SLOBS
ONE'S AUTISTIC THE OTHER FAGS
LOSER HAL
LOSER HAL
HE'S LOSER HAL
>>
File: red.jpg (9 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
red.jpg
9 KB, 300x300
>>63961518
Hey OP how would you like a foot in the ass?
>>
>>63963223
Sounds p gay.
>>
File: ray.jpg (38 KB, 790x444) Image search: [Google]
ray.jpg
38 KB, 790x444
Buncha fat pussies ITT.
>>
>>63963223
white people always making gay threats
>>
>>63963789
What about them? Finish the sentence, you illiterate spear chucker.
>>
>>63964205
that wasn't really a sentence you /pol/ack, just an observation. White people confirmed for across the board homosexuals
>>
>>63964244
>/pol/ack
how about you say white? Since this is a white mans site.

Don't believe me? Post in any thread timestamp, your hand giving thumbs up and you'll derail it
>>
>>63964244
>le /pol/ bogeyman
You underestimate how unpopular you people really are.
>>
>>63961961

too bad tina fey sold out tracey when shit hit the fan

>>63961898

ironically irl that ron guy is a gun grabbing pansy
>>
File: get-off-my-lawn_featured.png (350 KB, 640x526) Image search: [Google]
get-off-my-lawn_featured.png
350 KB, 640x526
>>63963789
Red faught in Korea and still looked pretty wiry for an old dude. I bet he could kick some ass.
>>
>>63962222
Except it really wasnt muh soggy knee. Al gets shit on and humiliated more than anyone else on the show.
>>
>>63961697
I just started watching this, good shit.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.