[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Now the dust is starting to settle, why EP7 was so successful?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4
File: images (27).jpg (13 KB, 494x298) Image search: [Google]
images (27).jpg
13 KB, 494x298
Now the dust is starting to settle, why EP7 was so successful? You try harder to find a reson to trash it but...

>scripting was good
>acting was good
>story was good
>effects were good
>soundtrack was good (even if not the best out of all 7)

For a Star Wars film, it's a solid entry and can be put aside to OT. Not perfect obviously, but simply good. Why there's such a made up shitstorm? /tv/ manchildren can't accept the fact it didn't suck as expected?
>>
>>63944674

I liked Rey's theme. Music was nice.
>>
>>63944799

It's kind of like harry potter though https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvcsJT9iNVQ
>>
>>63944674

Who is this supposed to be? Snoke?
>>
>>63944674
it was a soulless cash grab meant to kickstart another two decades of yearly sequels/spinoffs/tv shows/netflix originals

it was rushed as fuck and the story was rehashed from ANH

too much nostalgia pandering

bad acting
>>
too bad the score fucking sucked, didn't even put binary sunset/luke's theme at the end
>>
>>63944855
top lip had always looked like Luke's to me

Suggests to me they where at one point throwing the idea around of having an evil Luke instead of Kylo Rens chracter
>>
>>63944674
most of the kids on here like to go anti eatablishment, it totally ruined the board, but they are the type of kids who hated movies like TDK Trilogy and Mad Max. keep in mind that if its popular everywhere else, the kids on /tv/ hate it
>>
>>63944875
>soulless cash grab

le meme phrase
>>
>>63944855
Kylo's concept art.
>>
>>63944674
Scripting and story were garbage
Acting was decent
Soundtrack unmemorable
>>
>>63944674
It's just as good as the Twilight movies.
>>
>>63944674
Characters and world building were non-existant tier
>>
>>63944674
6/10
5>4>6>3>1>7>2
>>
>>63944950

>people disagree with me about a movie and i can't accept this so i'm going to claim they're doing it because of an agenda

sad
>>
>>63944674
Let me tell ya, this movies strikes a chord in autistic man-children. My friend got onto the "it's shit la-la-la I can't hear you" train before the movie even came out. I had known he was a Star Wars fan, but not to this degree. I asked him over Steam what he thought of the movie, as I had seen it first and loved it and told him how good I thought it was. He replied "4/10 for a movie, 2/10 for a Star Wars film and that's being fucking generous". I asked him what was so bad about it, and apparently Rey cheated with the force and Kylo Ren "wasn't a fucking Sith". He kept going on and on about these two points, so I asked him if he thought it was better than the prequels, to which he replied "Fuck you, this conversation was over a long time ago". I've never seen him swear before, even over text chat; he's always been a nice, polite guy. This movie is literally causing my friendships to end.
>>
>>63944955
>no rebuttal so i'll call it a meme
has winter break started for you high school kids already?
>>
>>63945198
>film is HORRIBLE I just puked in the chair
>worse than prequels and EP1 combined
>worst star wars ever
>mary sue
>fuck you JJ

Sure these are opinions anon. You may find them in any thread right now.
>>
>>63944674
Here are reason

>nostalgia pandering at its greatest with the designs, trailers, toys
>STAR WARS IS BACK OMG
>>
>>63945084
See? These are just

"opinions"
>>
>>63944955
you're fucking retarded if you think the movie wasn't made to capitalize on retarded memers who claim to "LOOVE" star wars and watch capeshit
>>
I wanted to like it but instead I started shooting diarrhea from every orifice and quietly reposed to the theatre showers.
>>
>>63945490
Because actors are paid with love instead cash. Because you pay your tickets with love instead of money. Because Disney bought the franchise thinking "there's too much love in these fans, let's make them happy".
>>
>>63945411
>>worse than prequels and EP1 combined
>>worst star wars ever
>>mary sue
>>fuck you JJ
but none of those is necessarily wrong

the first is obviously an exaggeration, if people think this was the worst star wars movie why does that trigger you so much?
>>
>>63944950
>Mad Max

Mad Max was enjoyable.
>>
>>63944950
This facile stupidity is always amusing. You think you're smart and figured something out, but the opposite is true.

If you use the word "contrarian," you're literally an idiot. It's an invented concept by idiots with reddit sensibilities who are too fragile to deal with criticism of mediocre media that has widespread appeal.

It's a troubling manifestation of millennials' mental weakness. Seriously, the only people who would even entertain any "argument" involving the concept of being "contrarian" are weak, lazy idiots who can't deal with criticism substantively.

If it bothers you that much that people criticize mediocre mass-marketed work designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator, like Star Wars, Breaking Bad, Batman, pop music, etc., you should find a safe bubble and stay there. Or kill yourself.
>>
>>63945586
>sequel that borrows 90% of its plot from a movie that came out in 1977
>D-DONT CALL IT SOULLESS, ITS TOTALLY ORIGINAL AND FULL OF CREATIVE IDEAS, THANK YOU BASED JJ
>>
>>63944875

I don't think the acting was bad so much as the characters the actors were supposed to be portraying were nonsensical (Finn) or nonexistent (Rei)

Harrison Ford did his thing and it did kinda make the other actors look bad, but that's not really their fault.
>>
So, when will the fedora manchildren stop talking about this stupid space movie and go back to /v/reddit/facebook?
>>
>>63944674
Massive marketing campaign even bigger than the last starwars pandering to every single demographic and blasting you in the face with nostalgia until all anyone talks about is star wars and its at the forfront of everyones brains
>>
>>63944674
>Story was good.

It was literally the story to Episode IV. From the big bad planet busting station, to the X-Wing attack on it, to the seemingly random but has an epic past, sand dweller hero, to the old mentor dying while the hero is watching and can't do anything, to Poe-Finn reunion scene before the attack that mirrors Luke and his friend reuniting, to the rescue of an important leader that is captured on the big bad station by deguising as a storm trooper (close enough), to the hero having to find an old master hidden on a far away planet (V).

Should have been named "Another Hope"
>>
>>63945785
>not A Newer Hope
>>
She was such a mary-sue it basically ruined the film for me.

>Beats up two guys
>Outruns tie-fighters
>Out flies New order pilots
>Fixes the Falcon after being in it for 5 minutes
>Knows all about space travel
>I can take care of myself
>Rapes troopers after LITERALLY only having used a gun for the first time
>Instant mastery of the force
>Instant lightsaber mastery
>>
>>63944674

>SW7
>scripting was good
>acting was good
>story was good
>effects were good
>soundtrack was good (even if not the best out of all 7)

Thanks anon, you made my day. I needed that funny joke.
>>
>>63945974

This was my problem with the movie. Everything just seemed way too familiar.

Acting was spot on though. The soundtrack was alright, but not as memorable as even some of the prequel music.
>>
>>63944674
>Now the dust is starting to settle, why EP7 was so successful?

Given the massive marketing, it doesn't seem to be.

>acting was good

The main villain literally shown more emotion when he wore a mask. I'll give the rest a slack considering that their characters were shit.

>story was good

The story was worst in the history of Star Wars. Literally rip off IV, make it a clusterfuck and add dumb shit happening solely for plot convenience. (The heroes on the Generic Forest Planet somehow seeing the destruction wrought by the Starkiller. Total absense of security on the First Order base (on DS I the villains wanted the heroes to escape). Falcon hyperspeeding right under the shield - sure doing that instead of going on a near-suicide mission with an infantry squad would have been handy on Endor! Shields on the Starkiller that can be turned off by a random infantry officer and cannot be turned back on from the main bridge. No fleet protecting the Starkiller (DS I was expected to be on a little more than a shakedown cruise with live fire exercises, the only problem with the Rebels was supposed to be finding them). No fleet attacking the Starkiller, just because they wanted to replicate ep IV point-by-point. I'm sure more can be found, but those are just the most glaring.

>effects were good

Effects were average, which is no praise for a SW movie. Absence of visual spectacle which used to set SW apart from all of the others blockbusters was conspicuous.

>soundtrack was good

Worst out of 7 soundtracks, not a single immediately recognizable theme.
>>
>They condition troopers to do nothing but kill
>Black man is the first one to turn traitor
>Literally taken from birth to be troopers

>Shiny Female captain of the troopers puts up no fight when asked to basically open the base up to attack and even when confronted by them talking about her death, she simply does nothing

10/10 TOP FUCKING WRITING THERE GUYS
>>
File: glib facsimile.jpg (301 KB, 699x1211) Image search: [Google]
glib facsimile.jpg
301 KB, 699x1211
>>63946370
>>
>>63944674
>acting was good
>HEY SOLO!
>WHOSE IN CHARGE NOW?!
>I'M IN CHARGE NOW!
>YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!
>I WANT TO SEE THE FACE OF MY SON!
>SNOKE IS ONLY USING YOU FOR YOUR POWER!
>AW HELL NAW!
>>
>>63946750
The Supreme Leader is wise
>>
>>63946874
>>63946874
Dialogue was unbelievably shitty in Episode VII.
>>
>>63945490
Lel this exactly describes my wife who convinced me to see it with her
She is a sweet and loyal woman but christ is she a fucking pleb
>>
>>63944674
I agree with all of your points except for

>soundtrack was good.

No, it was completely bland and unmemorable, which is saying something, coming from Star Wars. The only good new theme is Rey's theme, and even then it's kind of all over the place.
>>
>>63946910
>assuming it was any better in all 6 previous films

I dare you to show me a better line in the whole OT.
>>
>>63948022
>Droid please?
>Do you have a cute boyfriend?
>>
>>63944674
It almost felt like they watched the RLM reviews because they did almost everything they were supposed to except not remake New Hope.

There's no blatant shoddy CGI that's were supposed to accept.

Almost everything is a practical effect from BB8 being a fully functional real object, to the aliens, to the robots, to the millennium falcon cockpit all being real, genuine, with functioning metal gears and levers and buttons.

They kept the style of a 60s/70s vision of the future right. We don't see what's supposed to be a future iphone or something resembling a cellphone.

FUCKING CHARACTERS THAT HAVE SOME DEPTH.

A FUCKING BAD GUY AND A EVIL ORGANIZATION WITH CLEAR GOALS AND MOTIVATIONS.

However the fact that it was pretty much a remake of new hope, rey is supposedly a mary sue, and kylo not mopping the floor with rey and finn is enough to not be a good movie.
>>
I just walked away from it feeling meh. Star War is and always will be the original trilogy. I know that now.
>>
Because it feels like a proper sequel to the original trilogy.
>>
>>63944674
>made up shitstorm

why is hard to believe there is actual criticism? You can argue a lot of it is because of lofty expectations but that can also be blamed on the hype and marketing

most criticism goes into a few categories which are not really that hard to believe:

1) lack of creativity and overall blandness
2) plot holes and unbelievability of some of the character's actions
3) too much pandering fan service

it takes another kind of blindness to not even notice a little bit of any of these things, even if it doesnt bother you that much
>>
>>63944674

What the glib did you just glibbing glib about me, you glib facsimile? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Piffle, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on my fellow critics, and I have over 300 confirmed glibs. I am trained in piffle warfare and I’m the top critic on Rotten Tomatoes. You are nothing to me but just another glib facsimile. I will wipe you the glib out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my glibbinging words. You think you can get away with saying that piffle to me over the Internet? Think again, J.J. Abrams. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across Rotten Tomatoes and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the Force, you hack. The Force that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call "The Force Awakens". Your movie is a glib facsimile, kiddo. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can critizize you with over seven hundred words, and that’s just with my dictionary. Not only am I extensively named after a character from James Bond, but I have access to the entire thesaurus of Dictionary.com and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your PC movie off the face of the Internet, J.J. Abrams. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “original” movie was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your glibbing tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the piffle, you glib facsimile. I will glib all over you and you will drown in it. You’re glibbing dead, facsimile.
>>
>>63945198
>agenda

As if this board doesn't fill to the brim with shitposting everyday, the nature of the shitposts having to do with whatever the most tweeted TV or movie item is of the day
>>
File: 2565223.jpg (44 KB, 600x443) Image search: [Google]
2565223.jpg
44 KB, 600x443
>>63946175
>>Instant mastery of the force
>>Instant lightsaber mastery

That's what did it for me.. I mean, wtf?
>>
>>63946616
Fucking bravo!!
>>
File: 1.jpg (25 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
25 KB, 600x450
>>63948022

Is this post serious or just bait?
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.